• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Water Margin

jw5

Loyal
I used to play this dos operating system based game called "Bandits", which was based on the characters in the folk tale "The Water Margin".
For those who have interest or knowledge about The Water Margin, hope hat you can join in the discussion and help me to answer the following questions:

1. Does anyone know where or how to download a version of this game from a safe and reliable website or whether such a game exists?

2. I remember watching a tv series based on the Water Margin many years ago, but it seemed to be a China production with actors and actresses who were all unfamiliar to me. The lighting also seemed very dark at all times.
Does anyone know of any more recent production from HK or Taiwan with more well known actors and actresses?

3. The characters I know include Lin Chong, who I believe was a government official who was set up by some corrupt officials and his wife was killed. Also Wu Song who of couse killed a tiger, and was the brother in law of the infamous Pan Jin Lian. But the other characters seem to have less story about them. Are there any famous characters with interesting stories?

Hope all of you including Bro Shi Jin will join in this discussion.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
u got listen 2 ze late 李大傻 tel ze story on ze radio b4 anot? ... me got ...

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I used to play this dos operating system based game called "Bandits", which was based on the characters in the folk tale "The Water Margin".
For those who have interest or knowledge about The Water Margin, hope hat you can join in the discussion and help me to answer the following questions:

1. Does anyone know where or how to download a version of this game from a safe and reliable website or whether such a game exists?

2. I remember watching a tv series based on the Water Margin many years ago, but it seemed to be a China production with actors and actresses who were all unfamiliar to me. The lighting also seemed very dark at all times.
Does anyone know of any more recent production from HK or Taiwan with more well known actors and actresses?

3. The characters I know include Lin Chong, who I believe was a government official who was set up by some corrupt officials and his wife was killed. Also Wu Song who of couse killed a tiger, and was the brother in law of the infamous Pan Jin Lian. But the other characters seem to have less story about them. Are there any famous characters with interesting stories?

why dont you read the book itself? you will definitely enjoy it!

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are many versions out there...... my preferred reading is the version translated by Pearl S Buck titled "All Men Are Brothers". :p

oic! im a Chinese. so i read the Chinese version. translated version, sometime cant bring out the ideas in the book.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not for no reason 'The Water Margin' is one of 4 ranked greatest all-time chinese classics ...

The original & widely known version has 120 chapters end with 108 heroes celebrating their final union .... happy ending.

There is a lesser known sequel that has a sad ending.

Song Jiang, the greatest hypocrite, insisted on leading his bros to accept amnesty from the Song Emperor. This caused a split, some bros follow becoming govt officials, others chose to remain bandits.

His old enemies crafty Minister Cai & Gao then schemed to send Song Jiang as Commander to attack other rebel forces.

In the bloodiest clash with another famous bandit head Fang La, Song's army underwent great attrition.

In the end, Song's deputy Lu ZhunYi was poisoned.
Song in the end willingly drank poison in his Emperor gifted wine & died, but along the way, he also invited his loyal bro 'Black Typhoon' Li Kuei to drink with him & died together, knowing this crazy chap can raise hell if he lived on.

Wu Song lost an arm in battle & left his bros to live a reclusive life in monastery. Many died.

Others live on - and appeared in stories of later classics.

Such as 'Double Sceptre (鞭)' 呼廷将军, lived to ripe old age & died defending the Song against the invasion of the Jin invaders in the age when the famous Yue Fei came onto the scene.

'The Water Margin' is a great political tale centering on loyalty, comradeship & propaganda, trickery, hypocrisy & deception. Honestly, the so-called brotherhood, a lot is 'lan lan' kenna conned by false promises.

Shi Jin

Alfrescian
Loyal

What before breakfast?!? Heeheehee. My power is our only hope!

Title of the game by Koei is "Bandit Kings of Ancient China"

1) Still got it in my hard drive. I think you can still download it for free for some sites.

2) There is 2 good productions from China. The latest one is the one with the song (Hao Han Ke aka. The Good Fellow Song)

There were a few. One of them was based on Gu Dashao (The Orgress). Got to go back and view the pics in my thread at the other forum.

3) Yes! My story! The story of Shi Jin of Mount Shao Hua! :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
All the 108 heroes have stories about them..... my favourite is Song Jiang. :smile:
I know something about Song Jiang.
His wife had an affair with someone right?
I believe that he was one of the leaders of the bandits, but unfortunately in the game, he's a pretty weak warrior.

jw5

Loyal
What before breakfast?!? Heeheehee. My power is our only hope!

Title of the game by Koei is "Bandit Kings of Ancient China"

1) Still got it in my hard drive. I think you can still download it for free for some sites.

2) There is 2 good productions from China. The latest one is the one with the song (Hao Han Ke aka. The Good Fellow Song)

There were a few. One of them was based on Gu Dashao (The Orgress). Got to go back and view the pics in my thread at the other forum.

3) Yes! My story! The story of Shi Jin of Mount Shao Hua! :biggrin:
Not often that you get a personal invitation to join a thread right? :smile:
Tell us more about your story.

Shi Jin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know something about Song Jiang.
His wife had an affair with someone right?
I believe that he was one of the leaders of the bandits, but unfortunately in the game, he's a pretty weak warrior.

It was his mistress Yan Poxi who was screwing around with Zhang Wenyuan. When Song Jiang found out about it he originally decided to just dump that bitch. Unfortunately the woman's mother dragged Song Jiang to visit her and you know the rest. :biggrin:

In the game Song Jiang is good at recruiting people (high mercy 100) but the problem is cash flow due to his high mercy. Every Janunary cash collection is a real sad case.

Shi Jin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not often that you get a personal invitation to join a thread right? :smile:
Tell us more about your story.

Actually that one at the naughty Sammboy :biggrin:. You need to register in order to view the pics at the picture section. :p

Shi Jin of Huayin county, master of Shi Manor and later bandit chieftain of Shao Hua Mountain. Disciple of Li Zhong and Wang Jin. Good friend of Lu Zhishen. Customer of the prostitute Li Ruilian (how dare that dirty whore sell me out to the officals! :mad: ).

Shi Jin's story is the very first one but has never been made. So here it goes...(Up my points if my story good hor!) :biggrin: