• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tenants CRYING. NEW MALL On ORCHARD Rd Got NO BUSINESS.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mar 4, 2010

Orchard Central tenants struggle

Observers cite lack of anchor tenant and complicated layout as reasons for poor business

<!-- by line --> By Jessica Lim
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
b7-1.jpg
The empty corridors at Orchard Central make for a woeful sight. One shop has already closed, and tenants have asked landlord Far East Organization for rental rebates. -- ST PHOTO: RAJ NADARAJAN

<!-- story content : start --> THE tenants at Orchard Central mall, which is barely a year old, say they are struggling to keep their businesses afloat.
The corridors outside the shops are quiet, and walk-in customers are a rare breed - a stark contrast to the buzz at 313@Somerset and Ion Orchard, two malls which also opened last year.
At least one shop at Orchard Central, Fox Salon, has already closed, and tenants say about 70 of them have gone to landlord Far East Organization (FEO) to plead for rental rebates.
Read the full exclusive in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.
[email protected]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
of coz theres no business almost every mall in sg sell the same stuff...too many zara, giodarno, g2000,

every new mall should have something new and diff stuff

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
The name so ah gua... OC hahahah

Change it to something like Chang Cheng or Tang Shan sure successful

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
singapore shopping is doom....
too much malls.
not enough money.

Stupid PAP still suppressing wages . 3 percent up over till 5 years .

They can go save themselves .

As long as wages does not increase 30%, no one is spending .

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I agree...........
I have not visited that place yet, but just seeing the TV ad of the two angmo running amok in the shopping mall, racing each other to dunno what already gives me a terrible headache, what indoor climbing wall my ass....

too bad, tenants paying for the price for some iconoclastic eccentricity of architect ....

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mar 4, 2010

Observers cite lack of anchor tenant and complicated layout as reasons for poor business

<!-- end by line -->
b7-1.jpg
The empty corridors at Orchard Central make for a woeful sight. One shop has already closed, and tenants have asked landlord Far East Organization for rental rebates. -- ST PHOTO: RAJ NADARAJAN

<!-- story content : start --> THE tenants at Orchard Central mall, which is barely a year old, say they are struggling to keep their businesses afloat.
The corridors outside the shops are quiet, and walk-in customers are a rare breed - a stark contrast to the buzz at 313@Somerset and Ion Orchard, two malls which also opened last year.
At least one shop at Orchard Central, Fox Salon, has already closed, and tenants say about 70 of them have gone to landlord Far East Organization (FEO) to plead for rental rebates.
[email protected]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Went there just to check out the place earlier this year, like a maze, shops are located haphazardly. Thought to myself the tenants here are in trouble, as I notice there is hardly any human traffic, unlike the next door 313.

I guess it is just a matter of time before the tenants vacate due to lack of business.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Funny, i happened to be at Orchard Central last week and told a friend exactly what the news reported, the place is fucking dead town compared to 313 because the place look cramped. LOL :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
313 Somerset has better brandname tenants, e.g. HMV, RSH etc. Look at Heeren after HMV left. Orchard Central and Illuma (opposite Bugis Junction) have no brandname tenant attraction. Wisma Atria was there first but also overshadowed by Ngee Ann City for the same reason (Takashimaya and Cold Storage are better attractions than a half-hearted Isetan, concentrating strategically at Shaw House). Centrepoint keeps thriving for the same reason (with Robinson and Cold Storage). Orchard Point would have been ghost town too without OG. Wheelock Place doesn't care much about anything else as long as they keep Borders and Marks & Spencer.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mar 4, 2010

<!-- end by line -->
b7-1.jpg

[email protected]

NO pity from me
No proper market study and not recognising mall glut n recession still around

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I like the building layout and architecture...but not as a shopping mall.

Close down the whole damn place and reopen it as the Singapore Museum of Modern Art.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Close down the whole damn place and reopen it as the Singapore Museum of Modern Art.

my sentiments too.

successful differentiation to offer new variety to the Orchard scene.

But unfortunately, the poor tenants gotta pay rent ...:biggrin:

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
PA shd buy over the Orchard Central and give up the new premises at 9 King George’s Avenue. This makes sense since PA is more interested to serve the tourists.

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retail is a sinking ship coz the hoi polloi are reining in spending.

Besides FTs aren't spending. All the money going to their high COVs.

Don't depend on tourists either.

We need new brands like A-fitch, Hollister and American Apparel.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard a similar comment from one chap who told me that new museums tend to be built along these lines as they have to be built to cheaper as they are running along non commercial lines.

Its a reflection of Philip Kwek style starting with The Bayshore his first project where everything is close and cramped but hidden by artistic lines, high foliage landscaping and creative work. There are still people who bought The Bayshore and it is still underwater with negative equity.

Like the Bayshore, this shopping centre also won an artistic award and both are functionally useless.