• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign workers lift local pay

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mar 4, 2010
BUDGET DEBATE 2010
Foreign workers lift local pay
By Melissa Pang

SINGAPORE cannot do away with foreign workers as they are crucial to the development of its infrastructure and service sector.

Winding up the three-day debate on the 2010 Budget Statement in Parliament on Thursday, Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam highlighted the vital role played by this group of workers.

'If we had not brought them in, we would not have been able to ease the supply bottlenecks in the private property markets, build HDB flats, or expand our MRT network.' He added that essential services would also be affected, with hospitals and nursing homes facing a shortage of nurses and caregivers, 'even with good pay being offered to attract Singaporeans'.

The rise in Singaporeans' incomes in the last decade would not have been possible if businesses had been prevented from expanding quickly in the second of the decade, and their growth would have been choked off it they had not been able to get more foreign workers, he said.

'Bringing in foreign workers allowed businesses to seize opportunities, accept orders and grow, and to create more jobs for Singaporeans,' said Mr Tharman.

Rebutting criticism that the influx of foreign workers had reduced wages for lower income Singaporeans, Mr Tharman pointed out that the healthy growth of wages for low wage families from 2006 to 2008 corresponded with the period when the foreign workforce was growing most rapidly.

'It was how we were able to offset the decline in wages for our lower-income group that had taken place in the first part of the decade.'

But Mr Tharman cautioned that growing dependence on foreign workers is not a sustainable strategy in the long term, as this "will reduce the incentive for employers to upgrade their operations and raise productivity'.

'We will also run up against the social and physical limits that an ever-increasing proportion of foreigners in our workforce would bring,' he warned.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
WOW :eek:. Classic !!

Maybe I am in another planet and missed every single justification the million-dollar MIW made in the debate !!

He still believe that FT creates jobs and increased wage of the locals !!

Then I must be mixing with the wrong friends who'd almost everyone got a pay cut, or worst, lost their jobs to FTs.

As highlighted by many in forums, no body is disputing FW is important to build houses/infrastructure, etc. But the so-called FTs displacing the skilled/ middle level locals is unbelieveable.

MIW really lost touch with the ground while grazing the stars from their ivory towers. Almost have a heart attack reading the reports, luckily my heart is strong from the long break from the workforce (not by choice) !

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as they are in power, the PAPies will continue to bring FTs. The PAPies already said that they want 6.5 million in SG.

You will hear nothing but nonsense from PAP ministers because what they are doing flies against the face of logic. Inevitaby they resort to talking cock, deliberately partake in double-speak and ten rely on the mainstream media to cover their asses with propaganda.

VOte them out in the next GE!

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Mar 4, 2010
Tharman pointed out that the healthy growth of wages for low wage families from 2006 to 2008 corresponded with the period when the foreign workforce was growing most rapidly.

Lumpar!

If I shaved my cockhair a week ago and the S&P rose 5% since then, why not I send Ho Ching a picture of my pubes to worship as it corresponds to investment growth?