• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wong KC on Rony Tan

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Wong KC on Rony Tan</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>LauZoeTay <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>7:58 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>28374.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Regarding Mr Wong Kan Seng's response to the media queries on the difference in treatment between that for the 3 youths arrested last month for posting racist comments on Facebook, and that for the pastor who made insulting remarks against the Buddhist and Taoist faiths.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>LauZoeTay <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>7:59 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (2 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>28374.2 in reply to 28374.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>guess it had to do with what they said on facebook? Pastor Rony Tan did himself and his church movement no favours with the thing he did. One can change faith and all that thing but the line is drawn when "the one true faith" tries to be "the one true faith". I do recall we do not live in the era where if you worship something else you are damned to heresy.

As for the the "facebook trio", we would have to be privy of information regarding what they posted and what they were doing. The sedition act focuses primary on creating ill will between races. Religion as far as I know of (without searching for the full act) is a out of bounds marker such that you cannot discuss about another religion in offensive terms during religious functions/gatherings. Thus if an Oman declares "death to the infidel" at a Mosque he would be guilty of making a threat against a group outside of his religion. That would mean something else.

The trio are on bail and charges are yet to be brought against them. Sure we would ask why Pastor Rony Tan was "let off" with a tap on the wrist. In the context of his actions, the things he did and said were insensitive but at least he had not gone and declared a crusade of some sort on "non-believers".

The minister's statements? Its like "no comment on a ongoing investigation". I rather he had said that instead.</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt width="24%" noWrap> Options</TD><TD class=msgrde width="50%" noWrap align=middle> Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What do u think of his explanation? It still doesn't seem to me that he's explaining the difference yet. Do I have a comprehension problem?

i watched the news reporting, how come i hv the impression that rony tan has been 'disciplined' with a warning and we can 'move on', while the antics of the 3 youths are much more serious? it seems that they hv cleverly shirk the question. <!-- / message -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Getloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems like ST was saying that the R Tan treatment is equally serious as the 3 teens.
My questions is, then why don't use the same treatment for R Tan and the 3 teens?
Fucking ministers nowadays talk only, and talk without numbers and facts to back them up.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is all hogwash. Everything depends on the insulted party. If the insulted party is the type who takes things very seriously and is likely to turn it into acts of violence, then the law must be seen to act harshly on the accused. If the insulted party is like guniang and does not kick up a storm, then everything is well and SG is still the happy Disneyland it aspires to be.

Laws in SG are dependent on many factors (e.g. your social status). There is no one law for all. All very flexible, you can even escape the death penalty by 0.01g of unpure heroin.

If you happen to be a low-class peasant, then sorry, get ready to face the full force of the law. Justice may be blind but she still has full use of her other senses here.

ahpong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pastors in singapore had been saying these for umpteen years. About 20 years ago I attended a church wedding and there was a talk given by the pastor who told the same story about his younger days, when he was blur blur, his mother brought him to places to pray, prayed to wooden block, prayed to stones, even prayed to a frog (audience laughed). he felt so stupid. until 1 day he was enlightened and the rest was history. I think these lines are in the pastor handbook, otherwise why all pastors had the same childhood experience? These people even ridiculed their own mothers. sighed.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Being investigated and being hual into custody then out on bail is the same treatment ????:eek:

Wow, never knew that MIW can justify such difference even in such an obvious situational comparison.

CLASSIC!

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rony Tan is motivated by fear of being imprisoned - not out of sincerity.

Hence apologies left, right n center.

I am not represented by either Buddhist nor Taoist Federation, so should not Rony Tan apologise to pple like me in a full page newspaper advertisement?

If he had offended the Muslims, sure like hell he will be jailed. If a Buddhist insulted the Christians that way, sure like hell he will be jailed and sued. So why this Christian leader let off so easy?

He may have apologised but I am not convinced that it came from his heart and soul - he just wanted to stay alive and free.

Run down Buddhism n Taoism like he did and our existing laws do not apply to him? Like he said: is he greater than god? :biggrin::biggrin::mad::mad::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
When have you ever heard ISD put someone out on bail? No such thing.

As for the police, they have the procedure for bail.

I suppose different department got different speed of concluding their investigation.

Being investigated and being hual into custody then out on bail is the same treatment ????:eek:

Wow, never knew that MIW can justify such difference even in such an obvious situational comparison.

CLASSIC!

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honor thy Father and Mother.

Simple teachings in the Bible also cannot follow, not qualified to preach to others.

The pastors in singapore had been saying these for umpteen years. About 20 years ago I attended a church wedding and there was a talk given by the pastor who told the same story about his younger days, when he was blur blur, his mother brought him to places to pray, prayed to wooden block, prayed to stones, even prayed to a frog (audience laughed). he felt so stupid. until 1 day he was enlightened and the rest was history. I think these lines are in the pastor handbook, otherwise why all pastors had the same childhood experience? These people even ridiculed their own mothers. sighed.

travelbug

Alfrescian
Loyal
MIW practises outright discrimination. If you are a Christian pastor no matter how fundamentalist you are, you get just some rapping on your fingers by ISD & police. Talk, talk only. No punishment meted out.

This is to pacify the Christian community who are by & large supporters of those scums in white. These fundamentalists worship money like nobody's business. They & MIW go hand in hand. So MIW has to walk on egg shells here.

If you are non-Christian religious leader, good luck to you if you offend other religions.

Pastor Rony is one lucky dude. Even CNA & Today online reporters doubt Pastor Rony's apologies if you read the news.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How come this time Wong Kan Seng doesn't say, sorry also must explain?

Ha Ha Good memory !

It is also very telling to read of the Buddhist Federation Gen Sec remark on being asked his reaction to Rony Tan's apology:-

"What to do ? He has offered his apologies, so we must accept them..."

"..... and hope this will not be repeated again."

The first part, like very 'lan lan boh bian'.

The second part - very good warning with double meaning - both to Rony Tan - no more repeat behaviour AND ISD - next time no more stopping at mere warning, you better arrest/detain/charge !

Remember the Hong Kong Bus Uncle on Youtube outburst ?

没解决,我话没解决 !,
你有压力,我都有压力 !
丢你老母 *¥#?!
:cool::biggrin::p

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many were disappointed that Rony Tan's incident ended peacefully

My oversea's friend were very impressed that such sensitive religious issue can be settled in
peace, harmonious and fast. If such incident were to happen in their country, there will be bloodshed on the street, social unrest and riots. The leaders of the two faiths accepted Pastor Rony Tan's apology shows that 45 years of successful PAP ruling had brought Singaporean towards a more gracious society, regardless of race language or religion.

3 cheers for the PAP