• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why doesn't Singapore have a fixed election date like the USA does

8::::::D

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why cant Singapore like US has a fixed Election date. I dun understand about election, but looks to me like suka suka hold, suka suka act blur and no election

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Why Singapore dun have a fixed like US has a fixed Election date

Why cant Singapore like US has a fixed Election date. I dun understand about election, but looks to me like suka suka hold, suka suka act blur and no election

It's not more then 5 years. Most democratic countries follow the same system, where the government must hold elections within a certain period. That's why U can get jokers telling U elections coming coz they can do it anytime within the 5 yrs. Most government will hold onto power until the final year. SG election is due next year at the very latest. And if you look at the election yrs, they are pretty consistent, either 4 - 5 yrs difference

The Constitution of Singapore requires that each Parliament must be dissolved no later than five years after its beginning or first sitting and that parliamentary elections must be held no later than three months from the dissolution of the previous Parliament.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elections_in_Singapore

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Constitution of Singapore requires that each Parliament must be dissolved no later than five years after its beginning or first sitting and that parliamentary elections must be held no later than three months from the dissolution of the previous Parliament.

I don't know about other countries but it should be each Parliament must be dissolved no later than five years after the last parliamentary elections.

The last GE election was held on 6 May 2006
The next GE election must be held no later than January 2012
why it is 5.5 years?

because PAP delayed Parliament sitting by 6 months in 2006 after GE citing parliament house renovation thus each Parliament must be dissolved no later than five years after its beginning or first sitting came into effect.

These are the silly things that I really dislike PAP. half an year only, extend the election date to January 2012 from June 2011, like this also want to cheat the peasants...

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

why cant singapore like us has a fixed election date. I dun understand about election, but looks to me like suka suka hold, suka suka act blur and no election

because election in sgp is a sham!!

Cheating leelections!! :biggrin:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think they should invite people like President carter to come and ensure elections are free and fair. Gives the winners even more legitimacy.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Many thing price increase have been on hold for time been. After election water bill, transport will increase, Worst to worst after GST 10%. Every thing price snowball increase 20~30%.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So that, "mee siam mai hum" following daddy's footsteps can FIX the oppositions...

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

The idiots guide to winning an election is to promise the peasants to undo what pap has done to hit their livelihood/pockets!!!

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

So that, "mee siam mai hum" following daddy's footsteps can FIX the oppositions...

Daddy is stingy sons have to leech on peasants money for their school fees!

See one more ammo for oppositions to whack the pap in this comin election rally!