• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore Primary Schools "Swarmed" by PRs And Foreigners

exgoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore primary schools “swarmed” by PRs and foreigners

January 13, 2010 by admin

Written by Our Correspondent

The shocking truth that everybody has been guessing is finally out: that Singapore primary schools are “swarmed” by PRs and foreigners.

In a written reply to questions from Tanjong Pagar GRC MP Baey Yam Keng, Education Minister Ng Eng Hen revealed that “about 26,000 permanent residents here are studying in national primary schools, making up about 10 per cent of the enrolment.”

The exact number of foreigners studying in Singapore primary schools is not known, but if it is counted in the equation, it will mean that more than 10 per cent of the enrolment are non-Singaporeans, an astonishingly high figure for public schools which are supposed to cater to citizens only since they are funded by taxpayers’ monies.

Singapore is perhaps one of the few countries in the world where PRs and foreigners are allowed to study in its public schools run by the Ministry of Education.

In other countries, foreigners will have to put up their children in international schools.

For example, Singaporeans working in China enroll their children in Singapore international schools and not in Chinese schools run by the Chinese government, assuming that they are on par with the standard of a Singapore school.

PRs and foreigners should not be competing with Singaporeans for limited primary school places in the first place.

In the past, PRs enjoy equal opportunities as citizens in balloting for places in primary schools which sparked widespread unhappiness and resentment among Singaporeans.

The rules were “tweaked” recently when the Education Ministry announced a month ago that Singaporeans will have one more ballot slip than permanent residents when they ballot for a place in the Primary 1 school registration exercise this year.

However, the additional ballot will count for little due to the rising numbers of PRs and foreigners in Singapore as a result of the ruling party’s liberal immigration policies.

A forumer pointed out on the Straits Times discussion board that the change will have little impact other than to spur more PRs to take up citizenship or to join grassroots organizations.

The token increase in the school fees paid by PRs to over $800 is only a half-hearted measure to better “distinguish” between citizens and PRs.

Most PRs can well afford to put their children up at international schools which charge between $20,000 and $30,000 a year. They should not be allowed to “leech” on precious public resources reserved for Singaporeans just because they want to save a few extra dollars.

Those PRs who are unable to “compete” with locals should not even be permitted to step foot on Singapore to work at all.

Why are we giving PRs to PRC construction workers, cleaners and masseurs and investing in their children but not our very own Singaporeans?

PRs should not be given a ballot to compete with Singapore citizens for places in primary schools, especially the popular ones like Raffles Girl, Henry Park, Nanyang and Rosyth Primary schools.

They can only be allowed to apply for leftover places in Singapore primary schools after the citizens have taken their pick and this is already a very generous gesture to them.

PRs should stop whining that they deserve “equal rights” as Singaporeans because they pay taxes and contribute to Singapore economy too.

To borrow an infamous quote from Lee Kuan Yew who is so infatuated with his new pets:

“If PRs and foreigners are falling behind because “the spurs are not stuck into the hide,” that is THEIR problem, and NOT the problem of Singapore citizens.”

source Temasek Review

fredteo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore primary schools “swarmed” by PRs and foreigners

January 13, 2010 by admin

Written by Our Correspondent

The shocking truth that everybody has been guessing is finally out: that Singapore primary schools are “swarmed” by PRs and foreigners.

In a written reply to questions from Tanjong Pagar GRC MP Baey Yam Keng, Education Minister Ng Eng Hen revealed that “about 26,000 permanent residents here are studying in national primary schools, making up about 10 per cent of the enrolment.”

The exact number of foreigners studying in Singapore primary schools is not known, but if it is counted in the equation, it will mean that more than 10 per cent of the enrolment are non-Singaporeans, an astonishingly high figure for public schools which are supposed to cater to citizens only since they are funded by taxpayers’ monies.

Singapore is perhaps one of the few countries in the world where PRs and foreigners are allowed to study in its public schools run by the Ministry of Education.

In other countries, foreigners will have to put up their children in international schools.

For example, Singaporeans working in China enroll their children in Singapore international schools and not in Chinese schools run by the Chinese government, assuming that they are on par with the standard of a Singapore school.

PRs and foreigners should not be competing with Singaporeans for limited primary school places in the first place.

In the past, PRs enjoy equal opportunities as citizens in balloting for places in primary schools which sparked widespread unhappiness and resentment among Singaporeans.

The rules were “tweaked” recently when the Education Ministry announced a month ago that Singaporeans will have one more ballot slip than permanent residents when they ballot for a place in the Primary 1 school registration exercise this year.

However, the additional ballot will count for little due to the rising numbers of PRs and foreigners in Singapore as a result of the ruling party’s liberal immigration policies.

A forumer pointed out on the Straits Times discussion board that the change will have little impact other than to spur more PRs to take up citizenship or to join grassroots organizations.

The token increase in the school fees paid by PRs to over $800 is only a half-hearted measure to better “distinguish” between citizens and PRs.

Most PRs can well afford to put their children up at international schools which charge between $20,000 and $30,000 a year. They should not be allowed to “leech” on precious public resources reserved for Singaporeans just because they want to save a few extra dollars.

Those PRs who are unable to “compete” with locals should not even be permitted to step foot on Singapore to work at all.

Why are we giving PRs to PRC construction workers, cleaners and masseurs and investing in their children but not our very own Singaporeans?

PRs should not be given a ballot to compete with Singapore citizens for places in primary schools, especially the popular ones like Raffles Girl, Henry Park, Nanyang and Rosyth Primary schools.

They can only be allowed to apply for leftover places in Singapore primary schools after the citizens have taken their pick and this is already a very generous gesture to them.

PRs should stop whining that they deserve “equal rights” as Singaporeans because they pay taxes and contribute to Singapore economy too.

To borrow an infamous quote from Lee Kuan Yew who is so infatuated with his new pets:

“If PRs and foreigners are falling behind because “the spurs are not stuck into the hide,” that is THEIR problem, and NOT the problem of Singapore citizens.”

source Temasek Review

You may be surprised that the Singapore government has permitted lots of India indians and filipinos to swarm PCF Kindergartens and Childcare Centers' as form teachers. I know because I am working as a part-time teacher in one of them.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my newphew's classmate, a Brit, once threw his water bottle against the wall and messed up his hair. He gave that bastard a punch on his stomach and that bloke started crying as it must be damn painful (I've taught my nephew Chinese Kungfu since he was 4 years old). The teacher called my sister-in-law and wanted my my nephew to apologise to that bloke in front of the parents from both sides. No choice, my nephew reluctantly did so. But as soon as they were sent back to class, my nephew showed him the middle finger and told him, "Fuck you, you white piece of shit!" "Well done, nephew! I'm so proud of you!"

JohnnyQuid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honestly Temasek Times is getting shittier by the day..this is old news and it does not take a nutless monkey with a pea brain to realize this is happening...

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
??? In Australia as long as you are a PR you get to send your kids to the local school as well? What gives?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is really good news for our children to be international at such a young and tender age. Must thank PAP for this. If not parents must spend so much to teach our children by going overseas. This is great news.

sta1100

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of my newphew's classmate, a Brit, once threw his water bottle against the wall and messed up his hair. He gave that bastard a punch on his stomach and that bloke started crying as it must be damn painful (I've taught my nephew Chinese Kungfu since he was 4 years old). The teacher called my sister-in-law and wanted my my nephew to apologise to that bloke in front of the parents from both sides. No choice, my nephew reluctantly did so. But as soon as they were sent back to class, my nephew showed him the middle finger and told him, "Fuck you, you white piece of shit!" "Well done, nephew! I'm so proud of you!"

Well done, stand up again those white shit

RoyMcFarland

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought Singaporeans are ahead of PRs in the Pri 1 registration? Therefore no Singaporean would lose out to a PR right? 26000 of them studying in national primary schools mean there's a lot of PRs here. Whether that's too much is another debate. I personally think it is and it is putting pressure on public services for Singaporeans. It doesnt mean that the foreign kid got in at the expense of a local kid.

Furthermore, many countries in the world open their public educational system to PRs. That's probably why so many Singaporeans flock to Australia and NZ. NZ in fact charges them the same fees, all the way to University as the locals. My two nephews got educated and became doctors in NZ. They are still PRs. Of course not all these countries have good public schools, which is why PRs might prefer to send them to private schools.

Last edited:

spiritofchengsan97

Alfrescian
Loyal
A company that I used to work for organizes learning trips to 'cultural heritage' areas for primary schools in Singapore.

A few months ago I took a primary school class from a govt-aided convent school. I noticed that nearly half the class (about 35 to 40%) are from various ethnic groups outside the 4 main ones .. plenty of filipinos, nepalis, burmese, thai, even one Afghan girl from Pakistan! I was able to tell as the kids wore nametags with their full names..

The future demographics of Singapore are really going to be interesting. When i was at primary school in the 90s -- it was mostly C, M, I and the odd Grago