• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Seagate Shutting Spore Factory By End 2010, Shift Production To Suzhou City.

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock News/2731389/

Seagate Technology to Enlarge Production in China
Thu. December 17, 2009; Posted: 06:12 AM

BEIJING, Dec 17, 2009 (SinoCast Daily Business Beat via COMTEX) -- STX | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating -- Seagate Technology LLC (NASDAQ: STX | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating) will move its Singapore-based factory to China in 2010, as an effort to cut manufacturing costs and raise profitability, according to Banseng Teh, the hard disk giant's manager director for Asia Pacific sales.

The Singapore factory will be closed next year end, with its high-end corporate products to be manufactured by Seagate's factory in Suzhou City, east China. Besides, the company is set to add its investments in China, where the PC consumption is rising and many laptop makers have set up their affiliates, according to Mr. Teh.

He estimated a USD 1 billion market size for the world's industry of solid state disks (SSDs), which are mainly used by companies, compared to the hard disk drive (HDD) market size of USD 27 billion to USD 30 billion.

As early as 2007, Seagate established its first China-based HDD assembly factory in Wuxi City, and the factory has become one of the company's biggest HDD production bases by far.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thanks to brainless fxxk PAP

they let in PRC to work in singapore and basically the seagate plant full of PRC chinese.

why would the amercian want to have the plant in singapore ? if the plant in singapore fill with chinese, they might as well move to china.

suzhou was help by PAP with lots of money to setup. so now the amercian say bye bye and go there.

thank you PAP for your eternal wisdom.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This type of pullout is usually gradual and not 1 shot. They probably would have slowly cut down its operations bit by bit over the last 2 - 3 yrs so we'll unlikely to see massive retrenchment. It's pretty logical, cost wise we cannot compete with the Ah Tiongs, or the Ah Nehs. They are just too cheap.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
i have a fren who is currently working in seagate.. he is there for about 5 years liao...

from the 1st year he joined, i kept hearing him say seagate downsize, retrench a bit here n there.. but everytime he managed to siam retrenchment..

i guess he run out of luck this time.. no one can siam liao...:(

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have a fren who is currently working in seagate.. he is there for about 5 years liao...

from the 1st year he joined, i kept hearing him say seagate downsize, retrench a bit here n there.. but everytime he managed to siam retrenchment..

i guess he run out of luck this time.. no one can siam liao...:(

It doesn't necessarily mean the end. When Maxtor closed down, there was a lot of news about the retrenchment etc but they didn't move out completely. I was working for a Maxtor distributor at that time and as far as I was told by Maxtor pple, they still had a substantial number of pple working here, mostly on R&D. Who knows, Seagate might do the same

LonewolfAlfa

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks to brainless fxxk PAP

they let in PRC to work in singapore and basically the seagate plant full of PRC chinese.

why would the amercian want to have the plant in singapore ? if the plant in singapore fill with chinese, they might as well move to china.

suzhou was help by PAP with lots of money to setup. so now the amercian say bye bye and go there.

thank you PAP for your eternal wisdom.

in the 1st place, why did pap help fund setup the suzhou ind park har? why dun they set something up here instead.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..had a substantial number of pple working here, mostly on R&D. Who knows, Seagate might do the same

Notice that Seagate already has locations in "LOW COST" countries like Malaysia, Thailand & China.

With PAPs policy of increasing costs in Spore, this move is unsurprising :(
I read somewhere that they are continuing with some R&D in Spore.
However with the PAPs greed, costs in Spore will only go up.

So it's only a matter of time when ALL manufacturers pull out of Spore :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Notice that Seagate already has locations in "LOW COST" countries like Malaysia, Thailand & China.

With PAPs policy of increasing costs in Spore, this move is unsurprising :(
I read somewhere that they are continuing with some R&D in Spore.
However with the PAPs greed, costs in Spore will only go up.

So it's only a matter of time when ALL manufacturers pull out of Spore :rolleyes:

SINgaporeanS are cheaper, better & faster...low cost mah!..only the ministers are high cost, that is why they have to move...:p

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which factory are they shutting?
AMK (very likely), Science Park or the newly built Woodlands facility?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINgaporeanS are cheaper, better & faster...low cost mah!..only the ministers are high cost, that is why they have to move...:p

Hmm, I think you must be thinking of Malaysians :smile:

Everyday can see them being bused in/out of Spore.

Wonder what the PAP will do without all those CPF from Malaysians who will be retrenched :confused:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah don't worry, Singapore government very smart one. You cannot take out CPF if you leave in Malaysia lah. Even retrenched and they go back kampong they also can't take out their CPF till retirement age, whenever that is nowadays.

Hmm, I think you must be thinking of Malaysians :smile:

Everyday can see them being bused in/out of Spore.

Wonder what the PAP will do without all those CPF from Malaysians who will be retrenched :confused:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah don't worry, Singapore government very smart one. You cannot take out CPF if you leave in Malaysia lah. Even retrenched and they go back kampong they also can't take out their CPF till retirement age, whenever that is nowadays.

We all know PAP can take care of themselves. :mad:

If I remember correctly, only east Malaysians can take out their CPF and not west Malaysians

CPF is a like a ponzi scheme, you need a constant inflow of funds to pay out.
With so many Malaysians in Spore being retrenched, not enough $$$ is going into the fund.

Many elderly Sporeans might not get $$$, which is one of the reasons the PAP is playing with when CPF can be withdrawn.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in the 1st place, why did pap help fund setup the suzhou ind park har? why dun they set something up here instead.

to access the cheap labour there. if they set up here, labour cost will be higher. basically PAP want to make money by selling their know how in china, but instead, suzhou stab them in the back, by copy the park, and make it cheaper. and PAP lost millions there. now they will lost even more when seagate move there.
PAP greed is killing sinkies.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Singapore factory will be closed next year end, with its high-end corporate products to be manufactured by Seagate's factory in Suzhou City, east China.

Isn't PAP that helped strategize, built and 'managed' the Suzhou Industrial Park ? Let's leave the part of them being screwed by the Chinese for now.

The boomerang thrown by the PAP came back and hit them behind their head (as well as our CPF) ?

My...what 'foresights' PAP had. Hmmm.....a genuine campaign mistake like the Speak Mandarin, Stop at 2, ........

Now MM very busy travelling round the world teaching others how to better themselves, eg. Japan, India...After he gone and these countries improved and fxxk singapore, MM will say no his fault. Geezzz and he spent our $ to teach others instead of thinking how to improve lives of citizens !

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.......let in PRC to work in singapore and basically the seagate plant full of PRC chinese....why would the amercian want to have the plant in singapore ? if the plant in singapore fill with chinese, they might as well move to china....

Good observation-in time to come those companies that employ mostly Pinoys and Indians will move to Philippines and India.