• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is this report real?

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Judge Sues Newspaper, Rules in Favor of Himself
1-judge_gao-300x283.jpg

Posted on 23 July 2009 by bolivar

By Xian Qi
SINGAPORE — Singapore Supreme Court Judge Goh Han Sheng ruled in favor of himself today, concluding a brief trial in which he sued the Boston University Daily Free Press for libel.

The case arose following the publication, on May 13, 2009, of an op-ed piece written by Liberal Arts student Russell Wytchkoswki, in which he stated: “Singapore claims to have a free press, but the government appoints its friends as judges; said judges then act as their henchmen. As an example, Judge Goh Han Sheng roomed with Law Minister K. Shanmugam at law-school; later the pair became partners at the same firm. Last year, Shanmugam appointed Goh to the bench.”

Goh has since ruled in favor of the government in several cases where the media criticized the government. In each instance, the criticism was ruled as libel.

“This is libelous,” Judge Goh wrote in his ruling. “The Boston University Daily Free Press has been reckless with the truth. Such statements harm the integrity of Singapore’s independent judiciary, and as such, I award myself, the plaintiff – me – the sum of SGD 856,480 for harm to my reputation, another SGD 428,240 to the Law Minister for emotional distress and an additional SGD 280,043 to the Government of Singapore for reasons that I need not state.”

Judge Goh added that “until such damages are paid, the Boston University Daily Free Press, which is distributed on campus and at select Boston bookshops, is forbidden from publishing in Singapore.”

When reached for comment, the Boston University Daily Free Press editor, Darryl Fufkin, claimed he was unaware of the trial. “You’re shittin’ me,” said Fufkin. “Singapore – that’s in China, right?”

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
What? I haven't heard about this incident! Is this report real?

The report reads like one of those satire articles you can find on The Onion website. Let me check it out...

If this is for real, then all bloggers should put this report up on their site.

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, I just sent an email to the Daily Free Press. What's puzzling is that although the Chinaspike.com article reported a Darryl Fufkin as the editor, I can't find his name on the Daily Free Press website. I am still searching at the moment. Will post updates here should I find out more or if the Daily Free Press actually writes back.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why so blur? The whole thing is false. no such editor, judge etc. Nobody bothered as the whole thing is a hoax. Its not even satire.

Ok, I just sent an email to the Daily Free Press. What's puzzling is that although the Chinaspike.com article reported a Darryl Fufkin as the editor, I can't find his name on the Daily Free Press website. I am still searching at the moment. Will post updates here should I find out more or if the Daily Free Press actually writes back.

Singa Crew

Alfrescian
Loyal
And I know there isn't such an editor because I looked at the Daily Free Press website myself. Sorry for being so 'blur'. In future, I will consult Scroobal whenever I doubt the authenticity of any online articles, instead of investigating myself.

Still, great article even if it is fake! :-D

And it is also rather telling about the perceived reputation of the Singapore judicial system.

And no harm in bringing this to the attention of the Daily Free Press. Or should I consult you, Scroobal, whenever I email anyone or any group in future?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feel free to consult me anytime. You and your gang's lack of political acumen is just short of legendary. If you are still not sure, call the the 2 chaps from the American Embassy. I bet you, despite being foreigners, they would have immediately told you its a hoax.

And I know there isn't such an editor because I looked at the Daily Free Press website myself. Sorry for being so 'blur'. In future, I will consult Scroobal whenever I doubt the authenticity of any online articles, instead of investigating myself.

Still, great article even if it is fake! :-D

And it is also rather telling about the perceived reputation of the Singapore judicial system.

And no harm in bringing this to the attention of the Daily Free Press. Or should I consult you, Scroobal, whenever I email anyone or any group in future?

SEOConJob

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi there, I am interested in your SEO course. How can i apply?

First tell me your IQ level and how much you have in your bank account. And when I have verified your financial standing, I would like to know if you have a sister like Bob Sim Kheng Hwee's who will shell out more money for advance courses.

S

Sun Wukong

First tell me your IQ level and how much you have in your bank account. And when I have verified your financial standing, I would like to know if you have a sister like Bob Sim Kheng Hwee's who will shell out more money for advance courses.

You idiot! Can you teach me how to con your students? :biggrin: