• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

property investment technique in oz

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Actually its cheaper if you buy your own land and get a builder to erect for you. The only issue is the reputation of the builder.

Land tend to be cheaper because the building company is not taking its cut.

One other way is to buy your own land and approach any of the land and house package developer and pick their design with agreed upon variations. Since their design already has been approved, there are substantial savings.

You will work with your builder on size of the house, the floor plan, etc. The premium paid is equivalant except that it goes into the personal taste / design of the home.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
here's the url to take your owner-builder course online, which is a requirement should you want to take on the project of building your own home. correct me if im wrong, axe.

http://www.ownerbuilderonline.com.au/CourseMaterial.aspx

You shld hv good knowledge on the full cycle. From acquisition to inception design.. to approvals, then tender.. construction.. finally plan sealing.. you shld know the viability to hold or sell.. good knowledge on economy and lobangz on lending.. flexibility to cash out money in the event of adverse cashflow situation. etc.. IMHO, this is a careful planning & procurement to make money, not mere luck..

Ever wonder why builders gone bankrupt when economy is bad ? Bcoz they have high upkeep in machineries, rental, and servicing.. they rely on repeated contracts to survive.. So dont ever try to be owner-builder.. unless, you have the time and sub-contract out every phase and manage only using your mobile phone :smile:

Ever wonder why developers bought lands and demolished it and fenced the vacant lands up for many years before development ?? ever wonder why Far East Org, City Dev, Bukit Sembawang.. etc remain strong and never gone bankrupt ? and bankers are willing to bow at their command.. If you do not know the answer, its ok.. simply follow their steps you should be fine :biggrin: kekeke

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
here's the url to take your owner-builder course online, which is a requirement should you want to take on the project of building your own home. correct me if im wrong, axe.

http://www.ownerbuilderonline.com.au/CourseMaterial.aspx

Sorry to answer your question.. 1st, you have to satisfy Brisbane Services Authority (BSA) criteria.. you have to prove your experience, qualification and good understanding of Acts and Building Codes.. then pay about $200-400 to obtain an owner builder licence.. there is restriction and liability when you sell your hse.. pls check..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you checked if your bank will loan you money as a owner-builder?
Do you know how to handle the local council, cover your insurance, communicate/coordinate with your suppliers.

There are a lot more hard work involved, from making sure your rafters do not get into the way of the rangehood exhaust to where exactly you want your digital TV point.

Qualified builders know the local conditions, what to do and what not to do and know how to handle different materials.

If I build a house in Melbourne using WA method, the house will slide down the street in a downpour. :biggrin:

It is not hard to find out. If you are within the circles it is even easier.. I came from Brisbane (I mean originally from SG) and within 3mths, Melbourne's approval process is within my finger tips..

You can find out more info if you have lots of spare time like me.. these days I hardly watch ceiling fan liao.. :biggrin::p:wink::rolleyes::o:smile:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not hard to find out. If you are within the circles it is even easier.. I came from Brisbane (I mean originally from SG) and within 3mths, Melbourne's approval process is within my finger tips..

You can find out more info if you have lots of spare time like me.. these days I hardly watch ceiling fan liao.. :biggrin::p:wink::rolleyes::o:smile:

Hi bro,

Maybe if you look at it from a different perspective (not sure if it is workable in Oz), in Canada in cities like edmonton. There are some old houses that are built on 2 lots - if you tear down the house and build 2 smaller houses on the lot. Presto - use can rent out the house for cashflow or sell it for the equity upon completion.

I helped a fellow Sgean to find a house, the lot is huge and it is in a mature neighbourhood. It can bascially be rezone it to build a triplex to maximize the mileage. If he follows the plan, he can stay in 1 and rent out the other 2 and when the passive income is greater than his income. He is financially free.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro,

Maybe if you look at it from a different perspective (not sure if it is workable in Oz), in Canada in cities like edmonton. There are some old houses that are built on 2 lots - if you tear down the house and build 2 smaller houses on the lot. Presto - use can rent out the house for cashflow or sell it for the equity upon completion.

I helped a fellow Sgean to find a house, the lot is huge and it is in a mature neighbourhood. It can bascially be rezone it to build a triplex to maximize the mileage. If he follows the plan, he can stay in 1 and rent out the other 2 and when the passive income is greater than his income. He is financially free.

Yes Bro, I am doing just that !! currently I have hses that sitting on 3 lots each ! :smile: For economical reasons, I maintain the existing, refurb and renov.. and rebuild a new by the side.. I will sell the existing to ease cashflow and I will maintain the new hse for rental and achieve capital gains. By mid of Dec, I shld be able to know if construction can commence..

It may sound crazy.. But I target to be Ng Teng Feng, Kwek Lian Beng, or Ong Beng Seng wanabe... all from properties developers..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its called sub-division of existing plots. Its common the world around and even in Singapore. When you want to purchase with that intention, you look at the plot ratio and zoning rules which are available at the municipal authorities.

If that is your intention, it best to get a solicitor to do your purchase, as they can ascertain if the house on the plot is heritage listed, marked for development such as infrastructure etc. In Singapore, it called the red line.

The other issue is when you submit plans for subdivision, the authorities will sit on it for months and sometimes years because they know the neighbours and the people in the suburb will complain endlessly. Being lazy to address this, they will sit on it hoping that you will withdraw. If a town council chap stays near the vicinity, it becomes an uphill battle.

Its however is good to have such foresight as the land carried at lot more value and sometimes you can sell the land without sub-dividing as some people are prepared to pay for the difference.

Hi bro,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You probably have done your homework but I know that you are keen on housing development but never ever obtain an owner builder license especially if you keen on developing houses.

Sorry to answer your question.. 1st, you have to satisfy Brisbane Services Authority (BSA) criteria.. you have to prove your experience, qualification and good understanding of Acts and Building Codes.. then pay about $200-400 to obtain an owner builder licence.. there is restriction and liability when you sell your hse.. pls check..

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes Bro, I am doing just that !! currently I have hses that sitting on 3 lots each ! :smile: For economical reasons, I maintain the existing, refurb and renov.. and rebuild a new by the side.. I will sell the existing to ease cashflow and I will maintain the new hse for rental and achieve capital gains. By mid of Dec, I shld be able to know if construction can commence..

It may sound crazy.. But I target to be Ng Teng Feng, Kwek Lian Beng, or Ong Beng Seng wanabe... all from properties developers..

It is not crazy, tis is how the Real Estate Game is played. I am not much of a talker. Just Do it when i have set up the conditions to be rite.

From all your posting, it seems that it takes a lot to be a builder in Oz. Ca is much simpler. Just declare yourself to be one - end of story.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its the same. All 1st world countries have similar rules, that is why they have an organised and superior lifestyle. Instead of license they call it authorisation letter or permit.

If one is not careful, they can't get rid of their property. These regulations are meant to protect society as a whole.

From all your posting, it seems that it takes a lot to be a builder in Oz. Ca is much simpler. Just declare yourself to be one - end of story.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is not crazy, tis is how the Real Estate Game is played. I am not much of a talker. Just Do it when i have set up the conditions to be rite.

How easy is it for the bank to loan to a owner-builder in Canada ?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on.

Here are the issues with owner-builder as Fishbuff as is his usual practice will not respond when he seems lost.

1) Bank will not even loan the 50% of the land value.
2) Owner-Builder licensed is issued based on actual property address in order to have an audit trail.
3) The moment an owner builder license is issued , some states like Queensland will automatically remove you from State provided defect insurance that all new built properties enjoy in the event the builder goes bust after completion.
4) You cannot sell the property for a number of years after completion.
5) When you are allowed to sell, you must disclose in black and white to all potential buyers that it was owner-builder property.
6) Real Estate Agents avoid owner-builder property because, if the seller disappears, they might be liable. It is one property where the caveat buyer be aware does not apply fully.

The owner-builder course was introduced as a pre-requisite for owner-builder licence because there is a mandatory course module on laws, regulations etc on such properties. This is to avoid the situation when foreigners and new migrants claim that can't speak english and try to avoid liabilities associated with owner builder properties. The purpose of the course has nothing to do with building per se as the course is more on regulations etc.

How easy is it for the bank to loan to a owner-builder in Canada ?

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on.

Here are the issues with owner-builder as Fishbuff as is his usual practice will not respond when he seems lost.

bloody hell.. if i dont bring up this topic, no one would talk about it. and when i bring it up, it falls onto scrutiny by you, you are simply a very critical person, eh? whatever topic that have been suggested here, u simply want to stick your foot in. for once, if u are not an IT person, not holding any investment nor have to $$$ to do so, then please refrain from sharing your "expert" opinions.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal

thanks for your valuable insight on this topic.
i would like to have some sort of building project on the land, perhaps i should call dixon home.

unlike scroobal, who cant suggest anything, love to criticise, and yes, he is collecting info about the forumers in the background.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owner Builder is a terrible thing to suggest. I am pretty sure you will be hard pressed to name one positive benefit.

At least suggest something is positive that will benefit others such as tips and guidelines that will help a migrant. You keep saying that you do your home work but I found that is not the case. Some people will actually take your word for it.

Name me one positive benefit under owner builder and I will name you at least 3 that are major negative issues.

wtf are you talking about? this is a suggestion and all are supposed to do their homework to find out more about it. I have put in an url to show that there is an online course for it. if u dont like it, u can stick your critical opinion to yourself.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you bring it up, at least point out what the issues are? You yourself said "suggestion" but can't seem to find a single positive.

bloody hell.. if i dont bring up this topic, no one would talk about it. and when i bring it up, it falls onto scrutiny by you, you are simply a very critical person, eh? whatever topic that have been suggested here, u simply want to stick your foot in. for once, if u are not an IT person, not holding any investment nor have to $$$ to do so, then please refrain from sharing your "expert" opinions.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

ha, not to mention his expertise in migrating, setting up a business, getting a job & buying properties in Australia....:biggrin:

reminds me of this young man Greenlaser in the old alresco forum, born in SG, raised in US, can bench 250, is expert marksmen, got canadian g/f, knows martial arts etc.

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you bring it up, at least point out what the issues are? You yourself said "suggestion" but can't seem to find a single positive.

then can i suggest it? is this your forum? are u a willing contributor?
if not, then please shut up.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, if you post something and there is a critique, at least cite your reasons instead of running away and then pretending nothing happened.

Those following the posts are still waiting what "homework" you did for auctions.

By the way, you are thrashing threads by arguing with Redbull while in your own forum you have banned him. Save us the trouble of going thru rubbish posts. Also I think the stuff about bodybuilding is better in the common folder.

wtf are you talking about? this is a suggestion and all are supposed to do their homework to find out more about it. I have put in an url to show that there is an online course for it. if u dont like it, u can stick your critical opinion to yourself.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oei don't fight lah, its bad enough with the trolls around now you guys fighting.
At least the trolls makes for some entertainment.