• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips for settling down in OZ

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
WAHHAHAAH can't agree more on point 1). I told my mum I'm a getting house here and how much its going to cost. She asked me to look for public housing. I spend the next hour or so explaining what "public housing" means to here over here. I still don't think she quite get the idea on that yet. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Additional points on acquiring a home.

1. Avoid properties next to public housing (eg in WA, it is HomeWest)These public housings are not Singapore's type of public housing. The people who live in them - most of the time - are people you won't want to mix around with.

2. Be suspicious if a value-for-money well-appointed property but has been on the market for a long time.A check with the neighbourhood shopowner may reveal that a dark crime may have been committed there before.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by scroobal
So you have made it to OZ, what next?

Acquiring a Home

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good points. Singaporeans need to realise that public housing in Oz in no way resembles like that in Singapore or Asia. They are usually single storey homes like others but have been set a side for public housing. Delfin which is major developer in Australia that develops houses plus towns infrastructure are required to setaside homes for public housing. You can find them in Melbourne and if you buying house and land package, you need to know where the public housing part is. You can't tell by looking at it until it deteriorates.

Public housing is not meant for middle income like in Singapore but mainly for dysfunctional families etc. Last thing you want is people climbing your fences.

1. Avoid properties next to public housing (eg in WA, it is HomeWest)These public housings are not Singapore's type of public housing. The people who live in them - most of the time - are people you won't want to mix around with.

This is where inspection reports from engineering, pest control comes into play. There may be structural issues, unauthorised structures etc. Those that have history such as crime may not be easily ascertained. Also if the house is next to a vacant corner plot. That corner plot might be designated deli, shop, or pharmacy.

Just stay away if it has been in the market for too long even especially when the prices is close to market price at the launch.

2. Be suspicious if a value-for-money well-appointed property but has been on the market for a long time.A check with the neighbourhood shopowner may reveal that a dark crime may have been committed there before.

Acquiring a Home

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
To qualify for public housing in OZ, you need to really work hard such as
1) have needle marks on your arm
2) kids out of wedlock
3) just released from prison
4) etc

I don't think you qualify.

WAHHAHAAH can't agree more on point 1). I told my mum I'm a getting house here and how much its going to cost. She asked me to look for public housing. I spend the next hour or so explaining what "public housing" means to here over here. I still don't think she quite get the idea on that yet. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
To qualify for public housing in OZ, you need to really work hard such as
1) have needle marks on your arm
2) kids out of wedlock
3) just released from prison
4) etc

I don't think you qualify.

WAHAHAHAH thanks, I think I'll use that argument when she brings up public housing again. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In-depth look at public housing.
The trouble is that sometimes, there is no way to find out whether the next door neighbour is on public housings.

Ok. There are the usual tell-tale signs.
1. A rundown sofa outside the house.
2. one or more wrecked cars/vans - some are used as toys for kids.
3. kids loitering on the streets - not the well-groomed ones going to schools.
4. house in poor maintainance - check the doors/windows/paintwork, etc
5. Aluminium foil used as window curtains.

Because public housing is not in public database, we do not know and cannot find out.

But we can tell

1. If arbo, usu. confirmed. no need to check

2. ask the tenants, some may tell you. some are afraid you will complain about them.

3. sometimes we need to call up the local council. Eg say, you need to replace the perimeter fence and want to know how to contact the neighbour, because the property is tenanted and the tenants are not on speaking term with you.

4. Call the Dept of housing and pretend that you are one of "them"

"Hello, I am unemployed and waiting for public housing. I noticed that address XYZ is vacant for the past few weeks, can I sign up for that property?"

"What is your name ........ That property is occupied. ........" >BINGO<

Unfortunately, Kevin Rudd's party have soft hearts. They like to put losers in the community so that there are good role models around to inspire them to integrate with society. But we know the bell curve distribution. There will always be that 5-10% of losers around. They will never change.

Good points. Singaporeans need to realise that public housing in Oz in no way resembles like that in Singapore or Asia. They are usually single storey homes like others but have been set a side for public housing. Delfin which is major developer in Australia that develops houses plus towns infrastructure are required to setaside homes for public housing. You can find them in Melbourne and if you buying house and land package, you need to know where the public housing part is. You can't tell by looking at it until it deteriorates.

Public housing is not meant for middle income like in Singapore but mainly for dysfunctional families etc. Last thing you want is people climbing your fences.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Public Housing
Oops too late. My neighours are losers

It is not the end of the world if your neighbours are losers.
If you look around, there are losers lurking everywhere.

If you are in Australia long enough, you will need to acquire the soft people skills to deal with them firmly. Usually, it is best to ignore them. Try not to make friends with them. Unless you do not mind them borrowing your hair shampoo to replace the brake oil in their bang-up Commodores.

Basically, a few magic words will help. "No" is a short and simple one. "No go" is the 2-word version.

The local council ranger or WA polce will help, esp with noise disturbance.

Worst case, complain to Dept of Housing and see that these trouble-makers disappear for good. You will usually get a few months peace, esp if the place need renovation before the next losers move in. You never know, you may get refugees as tenants who may even turn out to be good long-term neighbours and teach you how to cook african dishes using targine.

Finally, What are the chances of getting losers as neighbours. Very low.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Shhhh.. pls do not tell the guru here.. they obtained their experience from SG. They get everything done quickly and efficiently... of course in a HDB way... Thank God, my place has none.. hahahaha

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WAHAHAHAH thanks, I think I'll use that argument when she brings up public housing again. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

No need so difficult. Just send a photo of a bozo living in public housing and she will get the message.

These bozo appear in the local newpapers for the wrong reasons, all the time, just cut one out.
:biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Public Housing
Oops too late. My neighours are losers

Finally, What are the chances of getting losers as neighbours. Very low.

You will be surprised ! under the new framework (Govt committed 500mil !!), there shall be at least 20% at every corner and every suburb.. of course some value-for-money suburbz will have more than the rest. Govt housing also includes aged-care, disabled, temp/transit accomo, troubled youth and AIDS victims.. etc.. you name it, they'll have it..

Of course if you a acquire the property under my "self-made" due-diligence checklist ya be guarantee free from worry ..

Rule 1 : Never pump 500k onto a 80k land.. then put a security guard/body corporate to the property.. and assume risk free..

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best is to sell and leave.

And make sure the next property purchased is not next to public housing as well!!!! :biggrin:

Luckily, we have a Liberal govt in WA and the govt short of money.
No sober Lib is going to waste a good $600k property for public housing.
Hope they sell the expensive properties and buy the cheapies ones further from civilisation.

These tenants do not need to be near the city anyway, if they are not working.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You will be surprised ! under the new framework (Govt committed 500mil !!), there shall be at least 20% at every corner and every suburb.. of course some value-for-money suburbz will have more than the rest. Govt housing also includes aged-care, disabled, temp/transit accomo, troubled youth and AIDS victims.. etc.. you name it, they'll have it..

Of course if you a acquire the property under my "self-made" due-diligence checklist ya be guarantee free from worry ..

Rule 1 : Never pump 500k onto a 80k land.. then put a security guard/body corporate to the property.. and assume risk free..

Every suburbs?? Vic police will be kept busy.

Checklist ... this is what it is all about ... right.
Not like Singapore, no need checklist. not much choice over there either. :biggrin:
So, settling in OZ, open eye big for nice properties and get Axe's due-diligence checklist. (How much A$10 per copy? or you give away free with every chicken)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every suburbs?? Vic police will be kept busy.

Checklist ... this is what it is all about ... right.
Not like Singapore, no need checklist. not much choice over there either. :biggrin:
So, settling in OZ, open eye big for nice properties and get Axe's due-diligence checklist. (How much A$10 per copy? or you give away free with every chicken)

Haha chicken recipes not for sale.. "pending patent".. kekeke.. I have attended another seminar.. ok, can reveal a bit.. in the past, govt housing is easily spotted due to its basic design... as a result OZ residents will avoid those areas at all cost... there is no integration of residents.. working/rich families will form a cluster and govt housings will form another..

Now with govt funding (500mil).. these housing associations are coming in big time.. See the news today.. Community Housing is awarded with xxxmil for project. Some may not notice recently 2008-2009, once the developers complete the residential development, these org snap up the entire development. These increase the demand of hses.. Rudd govt also increases the 1st home grant.. demand shoots up again..

Now the effect has reached the upgrader.. it is the begining of 6 o'clock (maybe 7 o'clock) of property boom.. when it reaches 12.. minor correction will occur..

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need so difficult. Just send a photo of a bozo living in public housing and she will get the message.

These bozo appear in the local newpapers for the wrong reasons, all the time, just cut one out.
:biggrin:

Speaking of public housing, if I were to live in a public house in Oz, my wife is sure to divorce me. :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking of public housing, if I were to live in a public house in Oz, my wife is sure to divorce me. :biggrin:

Public housing also not bad lah.. No need to pay carparking.. Govt maintain ya hse..got financial benefits also

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
And make sure the next property purchased is not next to public housing as well!!!! :biggrin:

Luckily, we have a Liberal govt in WA and the govt short of money.
No sober Lib is going to waste a good $600k property for public housing.
Hope they sell the expensive properties and buy the cheapies ones further from civilisation.

These tenants do not need to be near the city anyway, if they are not working.

It is not the expensive hse they are aiming for... it is the cheap land, dude.. they can convert the hse into 3-4 bedder for troubled youth or AIDS tenants.. under the 'House Code' they are limited to not more than 6... URA has the same rule too!

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any lobang for a good gardener that can relay my grass lawn?

My lawn is a disaster...I don't even know if it is even grass or just weeds!

tips for maintaining a good lawn;

- ensure that ur soil have enough nitrogen in it. add fertiliser.
- try not to trim the grass too short or else the weeds will grow over it. let the grasses' blades block out the sun for the weeds.
- use "feed N weed" from bunnings.
- or use roundup to kill off those hardy weed plants. be careful, it will kill ALL plants!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well axe, I agree in general with what u have said but the unusual way of propping property price in Oz is coming to an end.... Will talk again by mid of next year and we will know whether property price will continue to hold up or face a major correction...

Yo Kingat33, we are not far away (5mths left) to conclude the findings.. Resource boom will generate jobs and ppl will start their shopping spree. Do mark my words, soon the boom will hit the rest of the States.. the min property growth for 2010 is estimated at 10% !! .. A snapshot for you reveiw:

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Art...ne=House prices to take a breather after leap
House prices to take a breather after leap

Date: February 1, 2010
Publication: Sydney Morning Herald (subscribe)

House prices are likely to soften in early 2010 and pick up later in the year despite the big leap recorded in a house price index, economists say.

The Australian house price index rose 5.2 per cent in the December quarter, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said today. This compares with an upwardly revised 4.4 per cent in the September quarter.

In the year to December, the house price index rose 13.6 per cent.

The median market forecast was for the house price index to have risen 3.5 per cent in the December quarter, for year on year rise of 11 per cent.

Softness ahead

However, CommSec economist Craig James said the ABS data were not considered as reliable as other data series.

‘‘At face value it looks like it’s going gangbusters but the RP Data Rismark series rose by 2.1 per cent in the quarter and 11.1 per cent over the year, so I think what this data does is overstate the true situation,’’ he said. Mr James said the ABS data could get quite distorted by the composition.

‘‘It is clear that house prices picked up pace through 2009, but certainly the RP Data Rismark series which is done on a monthly basis showed that a degree of softness was coming in later in the year with the expiry of the government’s first home owners boost.’’

‘‘I think we are going to see further softening in house prices in the market in the first couple of months of 2010.’’

Higher interest rates and the removal of the first home owners boost would lead to a slight ‘‘hangover’’.

But later in the year, the strength of the jobs market and strong population growth would lead to annual house price growth of about eight to 10 per cent this year, he said.

‘‘To some extent a rise in the mortgage rate over the year will be serving to constrain prices, but fundamentally we haven’t been building enough homes in relation to our rising population and that will correct over 2010.’’

Melbourne leads rise

Among the capital cities, [COLOR="_______"]prices grew fastest in Melbourne which posted a quarterly rise of 6.8 per cent and an annual rise of 19.7 per cent[/COLOR]. Sydney house prices grew 5 per cent in the last quarter and 12.8 per cent over the year, while Perth posted a 5.7 per cent quarterly rise and an 11.5 per cent annual jump.

Adelaide had the smallest gains, with 2.1 per cent for the quarter and 5.1 per cent for the year. In Brisbane prices advanced 3. 8 per cent in the December quarter and 10.9 per cent over the year.

Rates move looms

ICAP economist Adam Carr said the data suggested the Reserve Bank of Australia was more likely to hike interest rates by 25 basis points on when the board meets on tomorrow.

But he said the surge in house prices pointed to a housing shortage that was quickly becoming a national crisis.

"This is a market begging for more construction," he said.

"We have a housing shortage.

"Our population is concentrated in a handful of cities.

"We don’t have a middle America where we can build cities, etcetera.

"We just have desert.

"We have problems and it’s urgent that the federal government address it because the state government’s clearly aren’t doing their job."

Mr Carr said that should the RBA lift the interest rate by 25 basis points 4 per cent, the cash rate would still be stimulatory.

"The RBA will obviously be looking at house price growth quite closely and the associated construction growth.

"We already have a pretty decent idea about where they sit about house price growth along side the credit growth in the absence of construction.

"It’s not a good combination.

"So I suspect it would add to the case for the RBA to hike."

National Australia Bank senior economist David de Garis said the RBA would take the cash rate to 4 per cent, but its decision would be finely balanced.

He said a central bank would hold off on further rate rises for a few months, with a private sector survey showing that house prices might have cooled in December.

Late last week the RP Data-Rismark Hedonic Home Value Index showed home values fell by 0.3 per cent in December.

The Survey said the slowdown stemmed from a seasonal summer slowdown, rising interest rates and phasing out of the enhanced first home buyers grant which ended in December.

"Maybe the RP data is showing that the rate rises are just starting to cool the market a touch," Mr de Garis said.

"It’s just one month, but that series has been showing rises of one or more per cent a month and it levelled off in December."