• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old National Library Wanton Mee, Anyone?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
namsk.jpg

Singapore, October 4, 2009 - Remember the popular Wanton Mee stall that used to cook up a storm at the old coffeeshop outside the National Library in Stamford Road?

Packed usually with library goers and students from schools nearby, Nam Seng stall disappeared when the standalone coffeeshop was demolished.

Many of us didn't know where it disappeared to until foodie and top executive Chia Boon Pin of Far East Group revealed recently its new location at Far East Square.

And remember the old woman with the booming voice at the former library stall? Yes, Madam Leong Yet Meng, who is now in her mid-70s, is still around, running the stall but she has a few helpers now.

nam-seng.jpg

The remember the hot chilli sauce? Yes, it's still the same one tossed with the Wanton Noodles for the 'dry' version.

Looking more relaxed than when she was toiling over the hot stove at the former location, Madam Leong said: "I'm old now...it is good to have people to help me."

All the ingredients used in her old-world Wanton Mee are the same, she said. From the sesame-oil-flavoured pork wanton dumplings and slightly-gooey noodles to the red-coloured Char Siew slices and the chilli sauce, which has the traditional sharp, spicy taste.

The clear sauce that flavours the noodles is made with simple ingredients like vegetable oil, salt and sesame oil, and not the brown gravy you get at many Wanton Mee stalls these days.

Yes, Nam Seng Wanton Mee is still satisfying if you like the old-world taste.

One foodie, who has been enjoying the noodles since the old days, said she would like it better if Madam Leong had used pork lard like one famous Wanton Mee stall in North Bridge Road.

But she still patronised Madam Leong stall after work one evening last week. It's located at one corner with al-fresco dining tables, along the same row as Hock Lam Beef Noodles.

Nam Seng Noodles & Fried Rice
25 China Street, #01-01 Far East Square
Nearest MRT: Raffles Place

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
namsk.jpg

Singapore, October 4, 2009 - Remember the popular Wanton Mee stall that used to cook up a storm at the old coffeeshop outside the National Library in Stamford Road?

Packed usually with library goers and students from schools nearby, Nam Seng stall disappeared when the standalone coffeeshop was demolished.

Many of us didn't know where it disappeared to until foodie and top executive Chia Boon Pin of Far East Group revealed recently its new location at Far East Square.

And remember the old woman with the booming voice at the former library stall? Yes, Madam Leong Yet Meng, who is now in her mid-70s, is still around, running the stall but she has a few helpers now.

nam-seng.jpg

The remember the hot chilli sauce? Yes, it's still the same one tossed with the Wanton Noodles for the 'dry' version.

Looking more relaxed than when she was toiling over the hot stove at the former location, Madam Leong said: "I'm old now...it is good to have people to help me."

All the ingredients used in her old-world Wanton Mee are the same, she said. From the sesame-oil-flavoured pork wanton dumplings and slightly-gooey noodles to the red-coloured Char Siew slices and the chilli sauce, which has the traditional sharp, spicy taste.

The clear sauce that flavours the noodles is made with simple ingredients like vegetable oil, salt and sesame oil, and not the brown gravy you get at many Wanton Mee stalls these days.

Yes, Nam Seng Wanton Mee is still satisfying if you like the old-world taste.

One foodie, who has been enjoying the noodles since the old days, said she would like it better if Madam Leong had used pork lard like one famous Wanton Mee stall in North Bridge Road.

But she still patronised Madam Leong stall after work one evening last week. It's located at one corner with al-fresco dining tables, along the same row as Hock Lam Beef Noodles.

Nam Seng Noodles & Fried Rice
25 China Street, #01-01 Far East Square
Nearest MRT: Raffles Place

Wow this sounds cool we'd give it a try :smile:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why sinkies always talk about food?
if food are so important
why no one come and talk about KFC quality? kick out the stupid singapore francise company, whatever it is.

scratchballs

Alfrescian
Loyal
fast food sucks everywhere, not only in spore...but yes, wanna try the wanton mee again, national lib hawker centre is where much 4play was conducted during school days and when they open late into the night after cheonging...one up for TS...:biggrin:

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about wanton mee, the one in Hatyai is famous, someone told me when I was there. Going this weekend. Heard of it near to Emperor Hotel, can anyne confirm?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talking about wanton mee, the one in Hatyai is famous, someone told me when I was there. Going this weekend. Heard of it near to Emperor Hotel, can anyne confirm?

Order "baamee mee lueang haeng". You won't regret it.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
why sinkies always talk about food?
if food are so important
why no one come and talk about KFC quality? kick out the stupid singapore francise company, whatever it is.

KFC is not authentic Sporean food...

you can get it almost anywhere in the world...

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
the char siew looks like crap. real char siew is red all over and has a more natural look

Oh my goodness!

Authentic char siew should be white and dry on the inside. This is because they are made from the choice cut of pork. They are also much more expensive.

Red and juicy char siew is truly crap, fit for the poor, the vulgar and dirty wet market stalls. Even then, some 3rd rate meat vendors also know. So they reserve the best cuts for their regular customers. That's the reason you can occasionally see the vendor cutting the char siew into 2 to show the white inside to the old ladies.

Only ignorant or fake foodtaster will tell you that red and juicy char siew is delicious. I wonder what is becoming of Singaporeans.