• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migrating to US: Seeking advice from the successful winners

AndromedaAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
My long term goals are to migrate to the United States.

First, a bit of my background:
- Mid-20s guy, finishing his degree (expected 1st-class honors from NUS)
- Will be heading to US to pursue my PhD as an independent candidate (no trashy A*STAR bonded shit here)

Been reading up on ways to get US Green Card. Let's just exclude marrying the locals for the sake of argument. Few ways I have found:

1) Apply Green Card lottery every year; well it doesn't hurt to try although I don't believe in luck - Am I eligible to do this if I am living in the US?
2) Apply for Green Card under a self-petition EB-1 Outstanding Researcher, basically saying you are an important scientific asset to the US, have good publications and lots of letters from your American supervisors to back you up. Some website claims people have successful done it this at hD graduation - Was wondering if any bros are familiar with this?
3) Apply for Green Card under a self-petition EB-2 National Interest Waiver, something like EB-1, also saying that you do important scientific work that is important to the "national interest" of US.

Frankly speaking, I do not know if I will make it through either of these 3 routes. After about 5-6yrs, I expect my PhD will be completed and F-1 status expired. At that time, I guess I would be thinking of doing a postdoc (a contract scientist "temp" job) or take up a job in the industry (generally seen as a more permanent position).

If I stay on in the US under H1-B (which is what I understand many students do), I also found out there is a 6 year limit after which you either must get your Green Card or you must fuck off from the USA and go back to Singapore. There seems to be some "home residency" requirement of 2 years before you can re-enter the US under H1-B. Seriously, this is something that I wish to avoid; if I am really going overseas I don't intend to return ever.

For the gurus out there, how does one manage this 6yr time period? Is it realistic to get a Green Card within such a short period? Do you get your employer to sponsor you via a EB-2 or EB-3 route? Also, if offered a job is Green Card sponsorship "automatic" for foreigners; if not how hard is it to get?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
just want to share my opinions...

first, congratulations on doing your PhD - it's a worthwhile goal

second, do not confuse intellectual strength for financial strength; the USA currently leads the world in knowledge (although the gap is closing) but it is technically, financially bankrupt

third, in searching for a home, you want always defer that till you complete your PhD, you never know if you happen to like or dislike or get married to an american citizen or one of another nationality and thus the decision is made for you

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My long term goals are to migrate to the United States.

First, a bit of my background:
- Mid-20s guy, finishing his degree (expected 1st-class honors from NUS)
- Will be heading to US to pursue my PhD as an independent candidate (no trashy A*STAR bonded shit here)

Been reading up on ways to get US Green Card. Let's just exclude marrying the locals for the sake of argument. Few ways I have found:

1) Apply Green Card lottery every year; well it doesn't hurt to try although I don't believe in luck - Am I eligible to do this if I am living in the US?
2) Apply for Green Card under a self-petition EB-1 Outstanding Researcher, basically saying you are an important scientific asset to the US, have good publications and lots of letters from your American supervisors to back you up. Some website claims people have successful done it this at hD graduation - Was wondering if any bros are familiar with this?
3) Apply for Green Card under a self-petition EB-2 National Interest Waiver, something like EB-1, also saying that you do important scientific work that is important to the "national interest" of US.

Frankly speaking, I do not know if I will make it through either of these 3 routes. After about 5-6yrs, I expect my PhD will be completed and F-1 status expired. At that time, I guess I would be thinking of doing a postdoc (a contract scientist "temp" job) or take up a job in the industry (generally seen as a more permanent position).

If I stay on in the US under H1-B (which is what I understand many students do), I also found out there is a 6 year limit after which you either must get your Green Card or you must fuck off from the USA and go back to Singapore. There seems to be some "home residency" requirement of 2 years before you can re-enter the US under H1-B. Seriously, this is something that I wish to avoid; if I am really going overseas I don't intend to return ever.

For the gurus out there, how does one manage this 6yr time period? Is it realistic to get a Green Card within such a short period? Do you get your employer to sponsor you via a EB-2 or EB-3 route? Also, if offered a job is Green Card sponsorship "automatic" for foreigners; if not how hard is it to get?

When you have arrived in the US, you will find out how to stay on.

People around you will have the same idea as you. Don't be surprise if you need to detour to Canada to achieve your aim.

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
OP, be aware of the H1B1 visa option. It's a set number carved out of the general H1B pool set aside for Singaporeans and Chileans. Singapore's allotment is massive (~5000) relative to the number of Singaporean applicants each year, so you are pretty much guaranteed to get one if you want one after graduation.

Also, anyone who finishes undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in America gets a year of OPT (Optional Practical Training), with NO REPORTING REQUIREMENT to "pursue employment opportunities".

AndromedaAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
OP, be aware of the H1B1 visa option. It's a set number carved out of the general H1B pool set aside for Singaporeans and Chileans. Singapore's allotment is massive (~5000) relative to the number of Singaporean applicants each year, so you are pretty much guaranteed to get one if you want one after graduation.

Also, anyone who finishes undergraduate or postgraduate degrees in America gets a year of OPT (Optional Practical Training), with NO REPORTING REQUIREMENT to "pursue employment opportunities".

Oh yeah forgot about OPT too, I heard recently OPT increased to 29mths :smile:
As for H1B1 visa I am aware, but I heard a condition is that you must return to SG when it expire and cannot apply for Green Card while you are on it?

"The H1B visa category allows for “dual intent” where the foreign national will be coming to work in a professional position temporarily while also intending to immigrate to the United States. The H1B1 visa applicant, however, has to demonstrate that he/she does not intend to immigrate to the United States. Therefore, H1B1 beneficiaries may not pursue permanent residence in the United States while in H1B1 status.."

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh yeah forgot about OPT too, I heard recently OPT increased to 29mths :smile:
As for H1B1 visa I am aware, but I heard a condition is that you must return to SG when it expire and cannot apply for Green Card while you are on it?

"The H1B visa category allows for “dual intent” where the foreign national will be coming to work in a professional position temporarily while also intending to immigrate to the United States. The H1B1 visa applicant, however, has to demonstrate that he/she does not intend to immigrate to the United States. Therefore, H1B1 beneficiaries may not pursue permanent residence in the United States while in H1B1 status.."

stick to h1b and avoid h1b1. while on opt, apply to companies which honor h1b visas and ensure that they will help you with the pr process. some companies honor h1b but do not help with pr. stay with the same company for at least 5 to 6 years if both are honored. it will take that long to process the pr. and nowadays, you must have at least a master's degree in a specialty that is much sought after. otherwise, when it expires, go back home, wait out and return to try again. i know of 1 german who was patient to wait out 2 years for the 2nd h1b. he's now a pr.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
a bipartisan bill called the h-1b and l-1 visa reform act is being introduced and will most likely pass. it means more scrutiny, paperwork, proof of documention and delays during the application and granting process.

kiketerm

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your options include HB-5 with an investment or getting a SG H1B then asking a US company to sponsor you.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
why consider migrating to the US? Even Coco Lee is wanting to come over to Singapore.

Good question.. Did anyone wonder if she's giving up her US status ? or SG is juz a transit place for them to park their money due to low tax.. or is she taking action to avoid another USD currency crash ?

Let me put it this way.. no one would like to live in an "enclosed space", unless the money is good or it is a short-term shield to protec them from adverse conditions..

Yes Coco Lee is coming to SG !! Yahhoo ! great !! for what reasons ?... hmmm..