• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Beaten To Death

jw5

Loyal
In the past 1 or 2 years, there have been a few cases of a person being beaten to death by 2 or more people. It seems that one or two of the cases were near clarke quay, perhaps the others were at other night spots or even in hdb estates.
Can anyone recall the details of the cases or any links to reports of these cases? I seem to recall that the punishment for the attackers was not very severe, is there any way to bring up these cases to the relevant authorities and question the judgement?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the past 1 or 2 years, there have been a few cases of a person being beaten to death by 2 or more people. It seems that one or two of the cases were near clarke quay, perhaps the others were at other night spots or even in hdb estates.
Can anyone recall the details of the cases or any links to reports of these cases? I seem to recall that the punishment for the attackers was not very severe, is there any way to bring up these cases to the relevant authorities and question the judgement?

i think the punishment was around 6-10 years imprisonment plus caning.
at that point of crime, i would say majority do not have the intent to kill, but the intention to just injure the person and make him feel the pain. Lawyers argue on the fact that their clients beat up the victim as they were overcome with anger. That is why motive is very important in a crime.

For murders, the sentence is heavy because the murderer actually plots and intends to kill.

jw5

Loyal
i think the punishment was around 6-10 years imprisonment plus caning.
at that point of crime, i would say majority do not have the intent to kill, but the intention to just injure the person and make him feel the pain. Lawyers argue on the fact that their clients beat up the victim as they were overcome with anger. That is why motive is very important in a crime.

For murders, the sentence is heavy because the murderer actually plots and intends to kill.
I agree with you that the law views it this way, but I disagree in some respects with the principle.
I recall that in one of the cases, the attackers were quite seriously provoked by the victim and/or his friends, to the extent that perhaps even the victim's party hit the attackers first.
But in another case, the victim merely asked the attackers not to make so much noise at the voide deck. Of course we don't know what was said and how it was said. But if the victim had merely asked them to lower the noise, shouldn't the attackers suffer a severe punishment for beating and eventually killing the victim, even though they had not planned to?
If the attackers were severely provoked (i.e. assaulted), this should a be a mitigating factor, not a justification for a lighter sentence.
If they were not provoked (i.e. assaulted), the sentence for them should be the same as for murder.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you that the law views it this way, but I disagree in some respects with the principle.

If the attackers were severely provoked (i.e. assaulted), this should a be a mitigating factor, not a justification for a lighter sentence.
If they were not provoked (i.e. assaulted), the sentence for them should be the same as for murder.

That is why sometimes, the defence would mitigate and try to change the charge of murder to manslaughter.
the lawyers would not be the one to pass the sentence. Their job is to fight for their clients. The ones to pass the sentence is the judge or the jury and see whether they buy the defence's argument.:p

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
no matter what is/are the reasons,it is not right to take matters into own hands.
intention to cause pain,harm or murder,it is still not right.

Platini

Alfrescian
Loyal
when a group is on heated argument it will seem like pouring fuel onto a fire when provoked,things go ugly when timing is wrong!

but e death is really sad :(

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
their charges are normally amended from murder to manslaughter which only carries a far lighter sentence..

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal

then why was the indonesian maid who bought petrol and burned her employer to death not charged with murder? in fact there has been a few cases of maids who killed their employers but none will charged with murder but on a reduced charge..

again comparing the case of the kallang river body parts murder and the orchard road body part case, what is the difference....both killed their partners and chopped the body up and dump it...but the sinkee supervisor got the death sentence for murder while the maid only got manslaughter..

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal
then why was the indonesian maid who bought petrol and burned her employer to death not charged with murder? in fact there has been a few cases of maids who killed their employers but none will charged with murder but on a reduced charge..

That is an aggravated murder charge, you stupid twithead !!