• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1,000 S'poreans give up citizenship each year

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal

AN AVERAGE of about 1,000 Singapore gave up their citizenship each year in the last three years, said Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Monday.

The reasons they renounced their Singapore citizenship ranged from marriage to foreigners to yearning for a different environment, he said in his written reply to a question from from Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim, who wanted to know how many Singaporeans had emigrated in the last three years.

Most of them took up new citizenship in countries in Southeast-Asia, the United States of America and Australia.

Mr Wong said Singaporeans who emigrate generally do not declare this to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) when they leave.

The only available data which gives an indication of the number of emigrants from Singapore is the number of Singaporeans who have given up their citizenship and left Singapore.

Soundwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only available data which gives an indication of the number of emigrants from Singapore is the number of Singaporeans who have given up their citizenship and left Singapore.

Anyone tried asking CPF Board yet? :biggrin:

Alfrescian
Loyal
This was mentioned by Lee Kuan Yew earlier this year when he was talking about Singapore's brain drain and low birth rates. Interestingly enough, he did not give any explanation whatsoever, but simply went on about how more measures will be taken to rectify the situation. Expounding solutions to a problem without bothering to elaborate on the cause, fantastic.

bigbossman

Alfrescian
Loyal

AN AVERAGE of about 1,000 Singapore gave up their citizenship each year in the last three years, said Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Monday.

Singapore should seriously consider dual citizenship so Singaporeans will get to keep both citizenships.

wbtym

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we can easily import citizens using "insert appropriate name" scheme here. That way, we can make other countries' talents our own and boost our population and keep the coffers filled.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Singapore should seriously consider dual citizenship so Singaporeans will get to keep both citizenships.

Why would anyone who is leaving that shithole for good want dual citizenship?:rolleyes:

99% of all emigrants are only too happy to shred their Sinkie passports at the earliest opportunity and retrieve their own money from the clutches of Ho Ching.

kiko

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think singaporean give up citizenship , could be because of standard of living getting more expensive. ERP , oil prices went up.. Or it could be better working opportunity overseas and also their wife is a foreigner, wants him to move with her.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
People think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, they move over, realised that the grass is either the same and definitely not greener. I have friends who regretted migrating to US and my last trip there this year, I can see how their lifestyles are worst off than most of the common singaporeans here earning $3000/mth. So you see they good, they are actually no better than you and probably worst off than you.

Some of them are even looking at options on returning back. Having a Singaporean passport, you go to many countries, you do not need to apply visa. If Singapore is very unstable, that is the time when we go to other countries, we have to spend hours to queue up for a visa to enter other countries. Looking at the whole picture would be better than just ERP, inflation issues

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
People think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, they move over, realised that the grass is either the same and definitely not greener. I have friends who regretted migrating to US and my last trip there this year, I can see how their lifestyles are worst off than most of the common singaporeans here earning $3000/mth. So you see they good, they are actually no better than you and probably worst off than you.

Some of them are even looking at options on returning back. Having a Singaporean passport, you go to many countries, you do not need to apply visa. If Singapore is very unstable, that is the time when we go to other countries, we have to spend hours to queue up for a visa to enter other countries. Looking at the whole picture would be better than just ERP, inflation issues

I suggest you change your friends. Birds of the same feathers flocks together.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Yes, if we have dual citizenship, less people will give up their citizenship.

That's absolute rubbish. Singaporeans become citizens of some other country for the specific purpose of giving up their sinkie passports.

They do so in order to withdraw what rightfully belongs to them.. their CPF $$.

Allowing dual citizenship won't change the fact that people see sinkie citizenship as a burden rather than a privilege.

suteerak1099

Alfrescian
Loyal

we all know for a fact that the grass is nt always greener on the other side of the fence... bt bear in mind, if the majority of the jobs r snapped up by FTs... where do the sgporeans find their bread n butter? or should we assume that sgporeans should adopt the lifestyle of FTs who only rent a rm? having said that, where do married ppl make & house their babies... under the overhead bridge? at the HDB void-deck/ dumpsters?

in other words, our grass here is getting trampled & stampeded + faeces stained to the roots. with little n lesser grazing grounds, ppl move on in search of grazing grounds is factually legit. at least there'd be ample grazing grounds for generations after as well.