• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
As an investor, I see that doing 'some' market research in buyers' 'wants and needs' is important for my investments to have a better chance of success.
Developers do in-depth market research to determine how they want to position their products (eg. high-end or low-cost properties) in order to sell well.

Buying a house for own stay is something personal, everyone has different taste and needs. Thus - Don't need to seek too many opinions (This I agree)
Investing in a property is different. We cannot rely on our own personal taste and needs to judge. We need to find out what Most(Majority) buyers in the market prefer and we go with that majority.

Hi Investor,

This one I agree. We must always keep in mind the target market. If it is upper middle class and above people for the semi-d and bungalows, then good chance they play golf. Already we have Arsenal & Icyraine. HH has a leg up on this. I believe many people buy HH after playing golf there. (Me, after I watched the 2010 Iskandar Open on TV).

Back to topic of target market, and this time on who will rent a house in HH or EL?
I am still trying hard to understand what are the rental market demographics in HH and EL We have bro Vincent in this forum but seems to be a transition to NI. At work I know my America colleague seriously considering staying in Nusajaya so that he can bring his dogs from the States. Malaysians working in Singapore or JB likely to buy for own stay. Thus so far I am not sure if I should invest another for the sake of rental yield? Is the high-end rental market robust enough yet? Any tip on rental demographics appreciated. Taking another loan that does not immediately pay for itself will be painful for me. But willing to take the chance if I have more info on rental target market for high end properties in JB.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
LGLab, you need to be in the " malaysia 2nd home" plan if you want to hire a maid. Or, if you have any Malaysian relatives, then may be you can try applying using their name?

Errr a word of caution on last part. Was in KL two week ago and I saw on TV the news that Malaysia Gov will fine RM500k for people asking their maid to work in someone else's house. Maybe it was for Indonesian maids only? Not sure. Just careful to check.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well written with good analysis..

Just visited the JPO.. Didn't buy anything...but I quite like the spread.. At Burberry, jeans are selling at 1000rm..and we can also find Levis jeans selling at 70rm.. So there are Armani as well as Nike..enough to appeal to people of all taste..

Drove to HH at 10pm to have a look at how the life will be if I stay there.. Not bad, but wish to see more people living inside.. It took me 15min to reach causeway.. Just in time to catch my arsenal game vs wigan..

Thanks for the endorsement for JPO. Gives me encouragement to make the trip there with family. I dont know why people put it down vs the US? For sure I do not think the prices could have been expected to be similar. After all they do have to fly the goods via KL then truck them to JB. At least we do not need to spend money to fly to the US.

Sounded like a fantastic day for you, started well and ended marvellously with the win :smile:

You know, when I am driving alone at night on 2nd link, I always make it a point to wind down window and let the fresh air run thru my car. more so after a rain. nice.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
True.. Everything in America is dirt cheap these days.. How can we compare the price in JPO with those in USA? Panasonic LX5 is selling at us280 last Monday.. Kindle is selling at 79.. Levis, guess jeans are selling at 20-40us..

I am glad JPO is there in Johor. It is a big step forward for Johor in my opinion.. We can't get similar attires like Armani, burberry etc at Jusco, City square or setura mall..

Also, i don't know is there really a rental market for Singapore expat.. They need to buy Singapore car in order to compute which doesn't make sense at all.. In Singapore they can use their CPF to pay for mortage.. Over here they need to use cash.. Maybe in future there is a rental market for malaysia expat.. I used to think condo is better for rental, landed houses are for expat with family... I like JB for the space, nature, food and coffeeshops dinning.. Buying a house here make me feel good.. To rent the house out is never my consideration..else I need install bathtubs waiting for expat to come..

Maybe own some property for investment and sell to Singaporeans who are late is the best strategy.. In this case one can have a larger portfolio of terraces, semi d, bungalow at el, HH, Nusa bestari for all sort of folks looking for some fresh air

Thanks for the endorsement for JPO. Gives me encouragement to make the trip there with family. I dont know why people put it down vs the US? For sure I do not think the prices could have been expected to be similar. After all they do have to fly the goods via KL then truck them to JB. At least we do not need to spend money to fly to the US.

Sounded like a fantastic day for you, started well and ended marvellously with the win :smile:

You know, when I am driving alone at night on 2nd link, I always make it a point to wind down window and let the fresh air run thru my car. more so after a rain. nice.

Last edited:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Contra, please don't get us wrong. Since my wife and I stayed in the US for several years a few years ago, it was hard not to have some comparison with the shopping in the US. If we can save more by shopping at JPO, it will be great. I am lucky to have a wife who thinks she will only buy the items she is really interested in if she feels the price of goods is attractive enough. (Otherwise, she will choose not to buy anything.)

Comparing the same items sold in Singapore, JPO certainly offers cheaper and very competitive prices.

My wife and I really enjoyed our trip there (that was why we stayed there for 3.5 hours+ on Dec 2). We enjoyed seeing the crowd and a lot of families at JPO (a large crowd there even in the afternoon of Friday before a lot of people went there after work) and feeling the energy of the development of Iskandar Malaysia. Also there were security guards/mall cops patrolling the place on their Segway PT (electric cart) and there was a police station next to Maybank and opposite to the foodcourt there. People working in the information counters next to the food court there were very polite, kind and helpful. Big thumbs up from us!!!

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Contra, what is your opinion about the capital appreciation of the intermediate terraces (with no golf view) in the Hills precinct in HH? Those terraces were sold close to 800K in the previous launch and more than 800K in the current launch.

Hi mathstub,

In my humble opinion, intermediate terrace Hills without golf view no problem at all. If I want golf view, I just walk down the road, cross the bridge to the clubhouse and go play golf. Also per its name sake being on the hill, can access some views of the golf course (to the east, west and south) from the common-areas and pathways.
Hills is low-density and being primarily a bungalow enclave, has highest security layering and privacy. Low density also means more share of greenery and fresh air.
When I bought my intermediate unit in late 2010, I thought it had limited upside for a Terrace but I was undeterred because my motive for the first one is retirement stay. But it is nice to know it has appreciated >15% just one year later.
I can't tell you if the current price is too high. We have all been there - scared to miss the boat and then chase. 50:50 lucky catch or lucky no catch. In my opinion, hold for long term cannot go wrong. But one must be able to ride out the storms that come with property cycles.

Worse case, in 15 years, ...touch wood, even if Medini not the roaring success it is envisioned to be, all new JB G&G developments [just some examples I am familiar with: including Nusa Idaman & Nusa Duta - I had a serious look at them when I started evaluating JB; the Setia family of Tamans; Sutera for sure has already; the UEM's collection and I will stick my neck out to say even Nusa Bayu!] will increase in value by 2 times at least , echoing Investor's conclusion although from a diff path of reasoning.

I am a simple person so my reasonings are simple:
1) a large wave of well-to-do retirees from Singapore, SPRs, Japan and UK will arrive within the next 15 years with their savings.
2) a large wave of investors from KL will arrive with the KL-JB bullet train.
3) many rich locals benefiting from this virtuous cycle

Happy week ahead for all :smile:

Last edited:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Contra, thank you very much for sharing your views. Actually several things you mentioned regarding the terrace without golf view in the Hills in HH matched with what I thought when I decided to buy it. Before buying this terrace with no golf view, I was actually hoping to buy one with golf view but then felt the price was too steep for me at that point of time. In the end, I convinced myself and my wife with many reasons (a lot of those mentioned by you) and we also thought if we wanted the golf view, we could just take a walk to the clubhouse or even to the part in the precinct that allowed us to have golf view (no need to pay so much more to be able to see the golf view every day). One strongest reason to buy a property in Nusajaya is this is our first property and my wife and I just feel great to own a freehold house and land there and just the sense of being able to own something great like this (in addition to many other plus points) makes us feel very happy.

Bro, you also got an intermediate terrace at HH as well?

Hi mathstub,

In my humble opinion, intermediate terrace Hills without golf view no problem at all. If I want golf view, I just walk down the road, cross the bridge to the clubhouse and go play golf. Also per its name sake being on the hill, can access some views of the golf course (to the east, west and south) from the common-areas and pathways.
Hills is low-density and being primarily a bungalow enclave, has highest security layering and privacy. Low density also means more share of greenery and fresh air.
When I bought my intermediate unit in late 2010, I thought it had limited upside for a Terrace but I was undeterred because my motive for the first one is retirement stay. But it is nice to know it has appreciated >15% just one year later.
I can't tell you if the current price is too high. We have all been there - scared to miss the boat and then chase. 50:50 lucky catch or lucky no catch. In my opinion, hold for long term cannot go wrong. But one must be able to ride out the storms that come with property cycles.

Worse case, in 15 years, ...touch wood, even if Medini not the roaring success it is envisioned to be, all new JB G&G developments [just some examples I am familiar with: including Nusa Idaman & Nusa Duta - I had a serious look at them when I started evaluating JB; the Setia family of Tamans; Sutera for sure has already; the UEM's collection and I will stick my neck out to say even Nusa Bayu!] will increase in value by 2 times at least , echoing Investor's conclusion although from a diff path of reasoning.

I am a simple person so my reasonings are simple:
1) a large wave of well-to-do retirees from Singapore, SPRs, Japan and UK will arrive within the next 15 years with their savings.
2) a large wave of investors from KL will arrive with the KL-JB bullet train.
3) many rich locals benefiting from this virtuous cycle

Happy week ahead for all :smile:

Last edited:

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Also, i don't know is there really a rental market for Singapore expat.. They need to buy Singapore car in order to compute which doesn't make sense at all.. In Singapore they can use their CPF to pay for mortage.. Over here they need to use cash.. Maybe in future there is a rental market for malaysia expat.. I used to think condo is better for rental, landed houses are for expat with family... I like JB for the space, nature, food and coffeeshops dinning.. Buying a house here make me feel good.. To rent the house out is never my consideration..else I need install bathtubs waiting for expat to come..

Maybe own some property for investment and sell to Singaporeans who are late is the best strategy.. In this case one can have a larger portfolio of terraces, semi d, bungalow at el, HH, Nusa bestari for all sort of folks looking for some fresh air

Actually rental for Singapore expat is a potential, I feel. My American colleague gets company car in his package. So he can drive the Singapore plate across. Company can pay for his rental or give him housing allowance to sort it out. Americans like their space. While British may be attracted by Marlborough College. Not sure what International school system the one in HH will be. If it is American, maybe the Coca Cola & Halliburton (just to name a few from Tuas side closest to 2nd link) expats will be compelled.

Other than that, I am not sure what other tenant types? Perhaps professors in EduCity and the professionals as discussed by Puteri Harbour. Meaning the rental market may not be here yet (at least not to blur guy like me) but in the future for sure... so perhaps is a timing thing. Those with deep pockets can make very good money when the rental market comes.

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Yonglip, are you going to drive Proton Saga FLX using Malaysian driving licence or Singaporean one? Mind sharing whether it is easy to get an auto loan there if the buyer needs one? What do you think about the resale value of the Proton?

Test drove the Proton Saga FLX yesterday at the Proton authorised dealer outside Bestari Giant.

Friendly people. Process similar to SG...give IC and drivers' license can already.

Steering felt heavy but overall think its a value for money car. Suitable for bros who dont like to spend a lot on a new car to blend in...Price is around S$18K nia..with 2 airbags...Understand from the sales exec takes only 10 days to have the car delivered. WOW!

I rem my SG car took like few months before they call me up to take delivery.

Cant blame me for saying this many times, "REALLY CHEAP AND GOOD!"..haha.

Cheers.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Contra, thank you very much for sharing your views. Actually several things you mentioned regarding the terrace without golf view in the Hills in HH matched with what I thought when I decided to buy it. Before buying this terrace with no golf view, I was actually hoping to buy one with golf view but then felt the price was too steep for me at that point of time. In the end, I convinced myself and my wife with many reasons (a lot of those mentioned by you) and we also thought if we wanted the golf view, we could just take a walk to the clubhouse or even to the part in the precinct that allowed us to have golf view (no need to pay so much more to be able to see the golf view every day).

You also got an intermediate terrace at HH as well?

Yea bro. and i admit I am too lazy to maintain a large garden . just grass will do, no need to keep sweeping up leaves :smile:
I did go see the house under construction. wider than I imagined. nice :smile:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, since you mention Singaporean expat, one thing comes to my mind. Singaporean expat (who is not a PR) who works in SG and lives in Malaysia can drive a car bought in Malaysia to Singapore as soon as the car does not stay in Singapore for more than 8 hours per day. This means he or she does not need to pay so much as in SG to own a car. He can buy a BMW (last time I saw in an exhibition in Jusco, one could get one brand-new BMW with something a little bit less than RM300K). Besides driving one's own car, also let's not forget the development of the public transportation. The following is just quoted from some of the things written on the Iskandar Malaysia website regarding the development of transportation system.

Public Bus System
In the short to medium term, public bus services will be upgraded and continue to play the role as the backbone of Iskandar Malaysia’s public transportation until the mass-oriented urban rail system takes place. In the long term, public bus services will be oriented to act as the feeder service to the rail-based transport system.

Multi-modal Transportation System
The multi-modal transportation system will consist of different modal transportation networks that, by themselves, allow a traveller to move from one location to another. Inter-modal connection provides the ability to transfer from one modal network to another.

A local transit terminal is proposed to be located within the CBD of Johor Bahru. The existing bus terminal at Jalan Trus is proposed to be upgraded to accommodate the local transit terminal and have a dedicated pedestrian route connection between the Johor Bahru Sentral I and the Transit Terminal located at the existing Johor Bahru KTM terminal. This terminal is also proposed to be upgraded to function as a local transit terminal that hosts such facilities for LRT, ERL and Monorail services.

To cater for regional linkages, a Regional Transit Terminal known as Johor Bahru Sentral II at Senai is proposed. This terminal will function as a regional transit terminal for the Johor Bahru District transit system. It will consist of facilities for High Speed Rail system, LRT and KTM Komuter Services.

Actually rental for Singapore expat is a potential, I feel. My American colleague gets company car in his package. So he can drive the Singapore plate across. Company can pay for his rental or give him housing allowance to sort it out. Americans like their space. While British may be attracted by Marlborough College. Not sure what International school system the one in HH will be. If it is American, maybe the Coca Cola & Halliburton (just to name a few from Tuas side closest to 2nd link) expats will be compelled.

Other than that, I am not sure what other tenant types? Perhaps professors in EduCity and the professionals as discussed by Puteri Harbour. Meaning the rental market may not be here yet (at least not to blur guy like me) but in the future for sure... so perhaps is a timing thing. Those with deep pockets can make very good money when the rental market comes.

Last edited:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, even for the intermediate terrace, from what I saw from the floor plan, you can put a small garden (of size about 20ft*6ft) next to your parking lot at the front of your house if you want.

Yea bro. and i admit I am too lazy to maintain a large garden . just grass will do, no need to keep sweeping up leaves :smile:
I did go see the house under construction. wider than I imagined. nice :smile:

Last edited:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Bro Yonglip, are you going to drive Proton Saga FLX using Malaysian driving licence or Singaporean one? Mind sharing whether it is easy to get an auto loan there if the buyer needs one? What do you think about the resale value of the Proton?

Will be using just the SG licence. Its not so much the license but the comprehensive insurance that is the key to driving worry- free in M'sia.

Understand from the sales guy that we can borrow up to 70%. I dont think resale will be fantastic cos its everywhere bro!..haha. But I exepct to drive it for 20 years...at S$18K starting, I am looking at a ownership cost of just S$75 per month.

I know its not comparing apples to apples in terms of usage but that same car cost around S$100K in SG in today's crazy COE market.

Cheers bro.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will be using just the SG licence. Its not so much the license but the comprehensive insurance that is the key to driving worry- free in M'sia.

Understand from the sales guy that we can borrow up to 70%. I dont think resale will be fantastic cos its everywhere bro!..haha. But I exepct to drive it for 20 years...at S$18K starting, I am looking at a ownership cost of just S$75 per month.

I know its not comparing apples to apples in terms of usage but that same car cost around S$100K in SG in today's crazy COE market.

Cheers bro.

Are you intending to drive in to Singapore using the car? Or is it to be used in malaysia only?

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back from Jpo last saturday,nt bad at all. Will upload some other photo later time

Hi shawn bro...i was in Bukit indah on Sat. had wanted to go to JPO but was raining heavily..so headed back to SG instead.

Visited BH...i was grinning from ear to ear after seeing the whole place turning out better than i expected bro.

Cheers.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you intending to drive in to Singapore using the car? Or is it to be used in malaysia only?

I guess will be a mix of both..cos unlike SG where the car is yours only for 10 years, in M'sia its yours for life!..so i think depends on who goes to scrap first!..haha..so a lot of things/plans might change from now till then bro..

whats your plan bro?

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess will be a mix of both..cos unlike SG where the car is yours only for 10 years, in M'sia its yours for life!..so i think depends on who goes to scrap first!..haha..so a lot of things/plans might change from now till then bro..

whats your plan bro?

Forgot that Singaporeans aren't allowed to drive a MY car into SG unless one can engaged a local driver. :smile:

Guess it will have to be when in MY, drive the MY car. Your plan is great and affordable. Cheers!

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal
List of forummers who have purchased or intend to purchase property in Johor. Hope those guests who are following this thread actively will also create their own account and join 'The List'. (Copy the whole list including this heading. Click 'Reply to Thread'. Paste it in your reply and add your nick and nationality to the list.)
# IMPORTANT - For new members, please try to make your first 10 post anywhere else before adding your nick to this list.

1. Wuqi256 (Singaporean) - The Gateway, The Golf, Nusa Duta -
Wuqi256 sisters (Singaporean), sister bf (SPR, East Malaysian [Kuching, Sarawak]). Wuqi256's relatives(Singaporean), friends (Singaporean, Malaysian (Malacca, KL, Kedah, Pahang, Kelantan [Tenant]), German, Australian, Korean)and colleagues (Singaporean, Malaysians, soon to be Italian and UK)
-Total 29 (updated) bought so far in Nusajaya
2. Investor (Singaporean) - Nusajaya
3. Analytical Professor (Singaporean) - Kempas
4. Sanur - Leisure farm/polo view
5. Sanur's mum - Leisure Farm/bayou water village
6. Sanur's SIL - Leisure Farm/polo view
7. Jasonjst - Sutera Utama
8. Tansi - Leisure Farm
9. relaxmannn (Singaporean) - Nusajaya
10. nusajayaphile (Singaporean) - The Hills Precinct, Horizon Hills
11. Mahesh - Leisure Farm/pinggiran bayou
12. East539 (Singaporean) - Nusajaya
13. East539's Sis & Bro in law (Singaporean) - EL/LF
14. JazJoz - Horizon Hills
15. Lynn - east Ledang
16. TheGolf - HH
17. Grago. - Horizon Hills
18. Arsenal (British, North London, home of the gunner) - Horizon Hills
19. Vincentck & Wife (Both Msian, Vincent from Ipoh, Perak; wife from Selangor) - NI
20. mathstub- Horizon Hills
21. ShawnLow (Malaysian, JB Skudai) - Bestari Heights - Astoria
22. Skippy - Horizon Hill The Golf
23. LastResort Family (Singaporean) - Horizon Hills, The Gateway, The Hills & Fairway Suites
24. Kaeel - Nusa Idaman , Hill side Semi D
25. Lord Aragorn - The Straits View Residences, Permas Jaya
26. cathylmg (Singaporean) - Kempas
27. captw - Bukit Indah, Amelia 1
28. mallow - Nusajaya
29. IskandarRocks (Indian, Sg PR) - East Ledang, Imperia@Puteri Harbour
30. euphony - LF & mt. austin
31. narmi - NI
32. maxpark - Fairway Suites, Indahwalk3
33. Avalon74- Setia Eco Garden
34. Yonglip - Bestari Heights
35. AbuGumGum - Sungai Chat, Johor Bahru
36. 2bFree - HH
37. Aisanbo (Singaporean) - Sky Gardens Residences @ Setia Tropika, Setia Eco Cascadia
38. 29ers - LF
39. Weetabix - HH
40. SeriAustinian - Seri Austin, HH South Golf
41. iamapseudoneem - Nusa Idaman
42. Puteri Harbour (Singaporean) - Imperia@Puteri Harbour
43. Odyssey - HH-Golf
44. darrkie.y - taman molek
45. Leisure - KIV leisure farm pinggiran bayou, east ledang or 1 medini
46. avelc - Nusajaya
47. linked (Singaporean) - East Ledang
48. investjb (Malaysian, Sarawak) - Impiana, Ujana, Casa Almyra, Golden sands, horizon residence
49. limmcd (Malaysian, Johor, Sg PR) - HH, BI, Ujana, Fortune Point, Nusa villa, Horizon Residence
50. spidey (Malaysian, KL, Sg PR) - Bandar Dato Onn
51. Icyraine (Malaysia, Born in Penang, Grow up in KL, Work in JB) - HH (going to seal the deal on coming monday!), Sri Samudera, Golden Sands
52. Blue_S (Malaysian, Sarawak, SPR) - Ujana, Horizon Residence
53. fairies (Singaporean) - Ledang Heights
54. Fairwaysuites (Malaysian, Penang, SPR) - HH Golf and Fairway Suites
55. Ray2104 (Singaporean) -D'Esplanade Residence @ KSL City

Anybody wants to buy Setia Eco Cascadia within this few weeks, I can share the Introducer cash reward with you.
It's 5k cash to share equally between you and me. 
For info, their launch is 10 Dec where launch price will be 5% higher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.