• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
RM$792K? Singkies have a reputation for being carrotheads....... this same property was marketed 2 months ago at JB's City Square and was priced at only RM$6OOK. :mad:

There are different sizes and designs. Also if you are looking at bumiputra prices it is 15% discount off the list price.

markhida22

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, First of all, thanks so much to bros here for sharing so much about living in JB in this thread.

I am also interested in buying property and living in the Nusajaya residential area. I do have some questions and hope someone can enlighten me.

Q1. Is it feasible for family with school going child/teenage to live in JB? For example, is it very crowded for cars at the 2nd link sg/my checkpoints at around 6.30am in the morning? What are other concerns? Any bros here who is currently staying in JB with school going children?

Q2. I've recently looked at the 2.5 storey semi-D in phase 4C of Nusa Idaman. They are in precinct 4, and is just against the hill. They are priced from $688, 000. Has any bros here booked a unit there? Anyone knows of any concerns about this development?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they have school bus picking up the school kids from Johor via woodlands causeway. One thing is that , kids must wake up damn early ! Not very practical.

Or your child already old enough, and he knows how to drive from Johore to Singapore.

=========================================================
Hi, First of all, thanks so much to bros here for sharing so much about living in JB in this thread.

I am also interested in buying property and living in the Nusajaya residential area. I do have some questions and hope someone can enlighten me.

Q1. Is it feasible for family with school going child/teenage to live in JB? For example, is it very crowded for cars at the 2nd link sg/my checkpoints at around 6.30am in the morning? What are other concerns? Any bros here who is currently staying in JB with school going children?

Q2. I've recently looked at the 2.5 storey semi-D in phase 4C of Nusa Idaman. They are in precinct 4, and is just against the hill. They are priced from $688, 000. Has any bros here booked a unit there? Anyone knows of any concerns about this development?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Ok Mont Calista there are several types, in fact, we just went there on Saturday to visit a friend who has purchased there. Yes you will still need to pay a conservancy fee but the price seems to have risen already from the last time. Quite a lot of renovation has already started and people has already moved in there. Mont Calista was mentioned very much earlier in this thread, its not bad, with Giant and Jusco so nearby but the surrounding area is not so good. The main saving grace is the security as well as the design,.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Hi Markhida, it is but you have to get up early, 6.30am still no jam and pretty clear on 2nd link(on weekdays).

You should also apply for MACS if you have property there to speed things up as well as to save your passport from having to be stamped every time. You can go to Danga bay, they are catering to only property owners. The 4 x travel in a month type will need to go to the CIQ to apply for MACS as there are two types, one for property owners, one for frequent travellers.

No other concerns, just get up earlier, have a local tow truck number in case things goes wrong with the car. If you are concerned about a flat, then just get a cheap tyre repair kit and air pump(powered by 12v cigarette port in the car) and you can just quickly repair any punctures and carry on mission. You can get both for under $40 RM and it gives you peace of mind.

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think i know which property you are referring to... is it the one at the back of phase 2B which is already being occupied, and it's quite near to the long park? Sorry i always have criticism, why don't you go for something with 2-storey? It somewhat feels a little scary to stay in a house more than 2 storey in Malaysia. The 1/2 storey which is the basement+carpark is away from your living room on upper floor. There might be a safety concern. In Malaysia you always want to be aware of your surroundings. Even gated development has thief break-ins. The development right beside this one had a break-in few months back.

I'm really not sure about school-going kids, but i suspect this will be too much for them. I commute daily but i have no kids. I normally leave home between 8-9am so the traffic is ok, but i remember the traffic is not as good if earlier.

If you drive, please price in the tolls you have to pay daily. $6.40 ($3.20 x 2) and MYR 15 (7.50 x 2) each day, that's about S$13 daily.

It is always advisable to spend a smaller amount, if you decide it is too tiring then you can dispose off the property more easily. Why not consider a corner terrace that costs like MYR 400k or less? Do minimise loan, the exit price is very high in M'sia, so is the interest.

I started off with a plan of staying in JB and commuting daily to SG. I have been doing this for 1.5 years. Initially i was very keen to buy a semi-D like you, but in the end, after understanding JB better, i decided not to buy any property in Malaysia.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
what is the address for Danga bay MACS application. I call up to inquire and was told about the minimum 4times stamps per month for last 3 months requirement. Was about to give up till I read your post. Is tat the one open 24 hrs ?

You should also apply for MACS if you have property there to speed things up as well as to save your passport from having to be stamped every time. You can go to Danga bay, they are catering to only property owners. The 4 x travel in a month type will need to go to the CIQ to apply for MACS as there are two types, one for property owners, one for frequent travellers.

markhida22

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Markhida, it is but you have to get up early, 6.30am still no jam and pretty clear on 2nd link(on weekdays).

You should also apply for MACS if you have property there to speed things up...

No other concerns, just get up earlier, have a local tow truck number in case things goes wrong with the car. If you are concerned about a flat, then just get a cheap tyre repair kit and air pump(powered by 12v cigarette port in the car) and you can just quickly repair any punctures and carry on mission. You can get both for under $40 RM and it gives you peace of mind.

Thanks Wuqi, these are very practical suggestions. I guess I probably also need something like siren lights in case the vehicle breaks down on the highway at night or before dawn.

Where in Bukit Indah area do you suggest I could get the tyre repair kit and batter operated pump ?

markhida22

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think i know which property you are referring to... is it the one at the back of phase 2B which is already being occupied, and it's quite near to the long park? Sorry i always have criticism, why don't you go for something with 2-storey? It somewhat feels a little scary to stay in a house more than 2 storey in Malaysia. The 1/2 storey which is the basement+carpark is away from your living room on upper floor. There might be a safety concern. In Malaysia you always want to be aware of your surroundings. Even gated development has thief break-ins. The development right beside this one had a break-in few months back.

Thanks Coolsaint for sharing your concerns. It is at the back of 4B, not 2B (2B is the precinct across the road, and phase 3 is its immediate neighbour). I am not sure which long park you are referring to, but if it is the hill top park then yes, the semi-D i referred to is right at the foot of the hill.

There are 3 types of designs. The one I am looking at has carpark at the main (ground) floor, and the basement is at the back opening to the backyard. Yes, it is not secure as those cluster house or terrace, as robbers can break in from the front as well as from the back lane (where the basement is facing). But I have been thinking, what if we beef up the securiy by installing security cameras around the compound?

I'm really not sure about school-going kids, but i suspect this will be too much for them. I commute daily but i have no kids. I normally leave home between 8-9am so the traffic is ok, but i remember the traffic is not as good if earlier.

I am prepared to send my child to and fro school everyday if I managed to find an ideal living environment in JB. I figured that it is just different arrangements. I've told my child that she would have to comb her hair and take her breakfast in the car, as we would have to leave the house 6.15am the latest. :smile:

If you drive, please price in the tolls you have to pay daily. $6.40 ($3.20 x 2) and MYR 15 (7.50 x 2) each day, that's about S$13 daily.

Right, and this is the amount after the 30% toll charge reduction in August. But I figured that the lower cost of living (petrol, maintenance, etc) will compensate for that.

It is always advisable to spend a smaller amount, if you decide it is too tiring then you can dispose off the property more easily. Why not consider a corner terrace that costs like MYR 400k or less? Do minimise loan, the exit price is very high in M'sia, so is the interest.

Can we Singaporean still buy property below 500K? I heard from the sales person that the 500K rule already implemented.
Terrace house from developer would be below 500K so not available to Singaporean.
A Resale terrace above 500K seems not worth it.
I have seen a resale cluster at Golf in Horizon Hills that is already asking for 630K (still need to pay legal fees etc., another about 30+K), and hence I figured that the semi-D at nusa idaman from the developer at 688K onwards may be worth considering.

Bros who are familiar in the area, do you have any recommendation for me to consider? What about Sutera Utama, I have not look at it yet. Perhaps going down tomorrow to take a look.

Oh, you mention about high exit price, are you referring to having to sell the unit within the bank loan lock-in period?

I started off with a plan of staying in JB and commuting daily to SG. I have been doing this for 1.5 years. Initially i was very keen to buy a semi-D like you, but in the end, after understanding JB better, i decided not to buy any property in Malaysia.

What causes you to change your mind? I am naturally interested to listen. :smile:

Dicktamby

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi

I have 4 school going kids..they are all still in primary schools. I talked to a school bus driver who ferries school children from JB to SG daily (they called themselves 'the superman bus' coz they have the 'S' on the windscreen). He said he starts his rounds in JB as early as 4.45am. He needs to cross SG by 6.15am. He stops the school children in Woddlands where the kids will be transfered to other school buses. These buses would then transport the kids to schools all over SG. Fees start from SGD 200 per child per month for schools located around Woodlands, Sembawang, Yishun,etc. For schools located in Tampines and Pasir Ris ( where my kids are schooling), fees is SGD 400 !

Best solution is to drive your kids to school yourself. Via Tuas at 6.30am looks OK. For my case, since I'm working long term in JB, I cant do this. I intend to buy a van and employ a driver to ferry my kids( and my wife too) to and from school. Did managed to talk to a few pakciks and uncles. Their asking pay is between MYR 1200-1500 per month which is still better then the private school buses charge you.

Will probably relocate my family hopefully by early 2012. Still got plenty of time to shop for a van and a personal driver. So anyone with school going kids staying around HH can hop in my own private school van...in 2012..:smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks Wuqi, these are very practical suggestions. I guess I probably also need something like siren lights in case the vehicle breaks down on the highway at night or before dawn.

Where in Bukit Indah area do you suggest I could get the tyre repair kit and batter operated pump ?

Sure, yes you can. You can get them cheaply anywhere at either Tesco or Jusco. Giant and Carrefour should have too but the best one i got was from Tesco.

There was one morning in my porch, a nice Sunday morning, i stretched and went downstairs. My dad was flying his layang (kite) in the backyard and my mum and my wife was having breakfast. I carried my still sleeping son and sat on the swing. It was really bliss as birds were chirping nearby and there was a nice breeze, i looked at my car in front of me, it was then that i noticed a large nail in one of my tires.

My sister who was watering the plants nearby saw it as well and exclaimed oh no, we have to use the spare tire now or get it towed. She was pretty unhappy and went to the other house to water the plants. By the time she was back though, the tire was already fixed and the air pumped back up.

All was fine, it was another good Sunday morning.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Can we Singaporean still buy property below 500K? I heard from the sales person that the 500K rule already implemented.
Terrace house from developer would be below 500K so not available to Singaporean.
A Resale terrace above 500K seems not worth it.
I have seen a resale cluster at Golf in Horizon Hills that is already asking for 630K (still need to pay legal fees etc., another about 30+K), and hence I figured that the semi-D at nusa idaman from the developer at 688K onwards may be worth considering.

Bros who are familiar in the area, do you have any recommendation for me to consider? What about Sutera Utama, I have not look at it yet. Perhaps going down tomorrow to take a look.

Oh, you mention about high exit price, are you referring to having to sell the unit within the bank loan lock-in period?

You can't anymore unless you have relatives or your wife is Malaysian, else just check to see if you can get a rebate when you buy at $500k. Sutera Utama is good but the way in is a bit tedious as you have to go past busy Nusa Bestari. Its also noisy as it by the roadside unless you get units deeper in. Go for something within your budget and you should be fine. An esteemed neighbour of mine who is local but has Singaporean wife and kids once told me, its always location location location, once you are past that, then go for the biggest unit you can COMFORTABLY afford and go for it.

I would be too, normally you can safely exit once you are past the lock in period and of course, provided your property has appreciated. Property appreciation is not a given, only for certain areas would it be good so research research research before you go into it.

There are lots of threads on JB, some good, some bad. Do your own due dilligence, so far it has worked out well for my friends and me. 3 folks who at first bought to rent out are now telling me they are now intending to use it for a weekend home or their 2nd home. In early December, i will have 2 house warming and likely another one in Jan/Feb.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
By the way, a lot of car repairs, m&d guard, respray ($800-$1000) at the Bukit Indah area. Can haggle, tyre punctures is $5 RM, crankshaft clip replacement $18, korean or local car engine mounting (set of 4) 200 - 700 RM

Food at Station One cafe(not bad the chicken chop) - Typically less than 70 RM for 2 persons for a sumptious meal.

You can get their version of hi card easily, also remember for those staying near Bukit Indah, some of the coffeeshops do take outs for seafood as well as western food. Delivery charge is 1 RM and normally covers until 1am.

There is also a very very nice Indian food joint that is open 24 hours near the Alliance bank. Their nasi brani and nasi lemak not bad, their prata too. There is also a new Korean restaurant nearby there that is a bit pricey but pretty authentic. :smile:

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, a lot of car repairs, m&d guard, respray ($800-$1000) at the Bukit Indah area. Can haggle, tyre punctures is $5 RM, crankshaft clip replacement $18, korean or local car engine mounting (set of 4) 200 - 700 RM

Food at Station One cafe(not bad the chicken chop) - Typically less than 70 RM for 2 persons for a sumptious meal.

You can get their version of hi card easily, also remember for those staying near Bukit Indah, some of the coffeeshops do take outs for seafood as well as western food. Delivery charge is 1 RM and normally covers until 1am.

There is also a very very nice Indian food joint that is open 24 hours near the Alliance bank. Their nasi brani and nasi lemak not bad, their prata too. There is also a new Korean restaurant nearby there that is a bit pricey but pretty authentic. :smile:

Hello wuqi

Sounds like you are very happy living in JB! I have a related question another bro asked - how is the maintenance of the common area at Horizon Hills? eg. The gateway. is the grass cutting and garbage disposal carried out by the town council? This is the case for Nusa Idaman and i endure the long weeds quite a lot. Garbage disposal is alternate days, and when they come they leave long trails of garbage liquid... stinks for quite a while..

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am prepared to send my child to and fro school everyday if I managed to find an ideal living environment in JB. I figured that it is just different arrangements. I've told my child that she would have to comb her hair and take her breakfast in the car, as we would have to leave the house 6.15am the latest. :smile::smile:

Other bros have advised the traffic at 6+ am is ok, then i guess you can drive your kids to school! I usually leave Nusa Idaman at 8+ to 9am and it takes me 1 hour to reach my workplace at Chai Chee, i leave SG to return home at about 7+ to 8pm. For me smooth traffic is priority and fortunately my company is flexible about this.

Right, and this is the amount after the 30% toll charge reduction in August. But I figured that the lower cost of living (petrol, maintenance, etc) will compensate for that.

Yeah, SG plate cars can pump unlimited amount of RON97 at Myr2.15 per litre

Terrace house from developer would be below 500K so not available to Singaporean. A Resale terrace above 500K seems not worth it.

Sorry i forgot cos' my own citizenship is still MY. You can also check out Nusa Duta. Sutera Utama's location is not so good. If you take loan i think lock-in period is about 5 years.

What causes you to change your mind? I am naturally interested to listen. :smile:

I made a mistake because too keen on a car. Bought an expensive car in SG and now worry day and night over the car. Parked car outside Carrefour Sutera Mall and forgetfully left a bag at the back seat, within 30 mins while i was in the mall car window got smashed

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hello wuqi

Sounds like you are very happy living in JB! I have a related question another bro asked - how is the maintenance of the common area at Horizon Hills? eg. The gateway. is the grass cutting and garbage disposal carried out by the town council? This is the case for Nusa Idaman and i endure the long weeds quite a lot. Garbage disposal is alternate days, and when they come they leave long trails of garbage liquid... stinks for quite a while..

Pretty good so far. Its pretty efficient although the garbage guys tend to sometimes come twice a week, sometimes more. It helps that our area tends to rain so its nice. Wifey complains every time we have to go to SG on weekdays for work and so happy whenever we are there.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Best not to drive flashy cars for fear of getting targetted. Crime knows no borders but people are tempted to more easy pickings. Expensive foreign car parked in secluded area with expensive items inside is just shouting out to would be criminals. Good to invest in an approved dark solar film(cannot be too dark though) so that it makes it harder for would be criminals to see inside.

For us, getting a cheap local car was paramount, one of my friends bought another one recently so that his wife can zip along. He now has 2 MY cars over there. His tenant or friend also bought one, by the way, he shared with him something which i need to share here asap, seems that foreigners need to get a license conversion for driving MY registered cars. Its cheap though but for bros who are into driving MY cars, good to know. I will try to get the link he was given and post it here.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will probably be keen to find out from you when it comes nearer .
Still think it is practical to group a few like-minded people to share a transport service from HH to MRTs in sg. I have 2 sch going kids tat why still stuck in SG on normal days.

Hi

Will probably relocate my family hopefully by early 2012. Still got plenty of time to shop for a van and a personal driver. So anyone with school going kids staying around HH can hop in my own private school van...in 2012..:smile:

sillysinky

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi bro,thanks for your long posting, very informative indeed. you have done a lot of homework. i salute u :smile:
i have not logged in for awhile so my apology for the late reply. initially i was looking at molek area too. but no ready units available. even resale is very limited.
anyway i have already purchased in austin heights, pretty decent place and met a few singaporeans staying there too during the weekend we went there to finalise the deal.

reason i bought there : 2 layer security guards. a lot of rich business-owners staying there so the neighbourhood is very decent and "cultured".

next the new highway linking austin to the malaysian customs/causeway due for completion in 2012.

indeed we also went to bukit indah area but the place is very congested with so many new commercial developments coming up so we think in time to come, it will be very congested. excellent example is the traffic along nusa bestari now with all the shophouses fully tenanted. nusa duta was nice but has to pass thru shophouses on the way to main road so this is a let-down.
horizon hils - not sure why but we dont really like the feng shui there :smile:
so in the end, ended up with austin heights
cheers

Hi,

Whatever you do please buy direct from developer and not from resale market. The property pricing of developer varies depending on construction quality.. and it really varies my fren.

The best developer, in my opinion, is Berinda. It is part of Kuok group and the build quality somewhat reminds me of the Allgreen properties in SG.. ok lah not as great but it should be the best in Johor. A double storey terrace house built-up about 2500 sft in Taman Molek (near Molek Pine) costs 488k MYR, and that's not even corner unit. They are still selling some properties near Skudai called Impian Heights... leading to a golf course. Houses are nice and big but location sucks.

UEM's East Ledang is top notch... but they are more into properties about MYR1m... you get land area 90 x 45 ft and house built up ranges from 3300 sft to 4000 sft. It is the best choice if you think it is not crazy to throw this amount of money in bolehland. However i advise against this because very few Singaporeans will invest MYR1m in Johor. You'll probably end up having Arabs and Sri Lankans as your neighbours.

As for Horizon Hills, it is a nice concept. Unfortunately the company actually developing the properties is not UEM, but the engineering company Gamuda. The are listed and have built some properties, but i am afraid i have to say the houses could be much better built. The materials used, the layout... reminds me of commercial buildings. It does not give you a homely feeling. But that can be overcome by doing up the house nicely. I think the pricing is in the region of 500k for a cluster house?

FORGET ABOUT THE OLD JOHOR ie Mount Austin, Pelangi, etc.. areas near to JB city. JB city is like Gotham city you dont want to live near there. If you are interested only in this locality then go for Taman Molek, Taman Ponderosa or Taman Redang. The shops and facilities around Taman Molek are the most "upmarket" compared to the rest of Johor. Even the Ajisen Ramen there are more authentic than the shitty ramen you get at Ajisen at Carrefour Sutera Mall.

As you might have heard, the Johor government admin centre is being moved to Kota Iskandar. This is the new Johor where all the East Ledangs, etc are. Kota Iskandar is a copycat of Putrajaya to a smaller scale. The generic term used to describe this area is Nusajaya. Unfortunately the place will take probably another 10 years before fully developed and "habitable" but this is just my opinion.

Hence the best bet at reasonable price is the locality around Bukit Indah which encompasses Horizon Hills, Nusa Idaman, Nusa Duta, and tons of Setia Indah properties. They are all accessible via exit 307 ie go from Tuas, travel for 10 minutes, turn into JB-Pasir Gudang highway, then exit 308 to Bukit Indah.

Horizon Hills is kinda large and deep and the most expensive of the lot, but it is nestled among golf course hence the best in terms of lifestyle... but mind you everything in JB is notorius for inability to keep up to the originally intended standard, i don't know 10 years down if the place will still look nice.

SP Setia seems to have properties all over Bukit Indah - they are the builder of budget homes. Well they do have more expensive ones but my opinion is, it is better they stick to what they are good at.. ie build small houses for the local Malays. They have lots of selections of double storey terraces with 4 rooms, but only 1600 - 2000 sft! The salespeople treat you as if you are buying a HDB flat, i hate them. I think they are too used to cheapo customers.

Nusa Idaman is the best bet. This is by UEM. When they started phase 2A about 3 years ago, a corner unit built-up 1895 sft (land about 2800 sft) costs just 300k. Almost ALL of them were bought by savvy Singaporeans.
I think the current phases would costs about 400k plus for something similar, but i dont like them because the car porch is very short. Still... i think you can find something decent at a reasonable price. I mean this is Johor, dont spend too much. The access to Nusa Idaman have become a lot easier with the opening of the new highway exit (the one just before Bukit Indah). I recall someone mentioned about the dark road leading up to the access point. No, dont worry at all. The road is call Jalan Ceria, it is now leading up to the entry and exit point to Pasir Gudang highway. In fact just travel a little more you will reach a big coffee shop - the food sucks but there are scantily clad singers bouncing around at night. There is also a mosque next to this coffee shop. But who cares!

If you want something more convenient then go for the property by IJM Land called Nusa Duta. It is right behind the new Giant supermarket, walkable. Cross the road and you are at Tesco. Walk a little further (haha just drive lah) you are at Jusco Bukit Indah.

That is why i recommend New Johor around this area. Quite a coup to have Jusco, Tesco and Giant within a small township.

You could even avoid getting into the ever irritating traffic along Nusa Bestari. Too many vehicles for roads with only 2 lanes each way.

Hope the info is helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.