• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's your National Language. You should be reasonably fluent.

mmm ... 'should' ... The reality is that this has never been encouraged. In schools today, this is offered only to secondary school students who have done well in two other langauges. Prior to the 1980s, bazaar Malay was happily used by most people, it being such an easy language to learn and so expressive with even a single work eg 'shiok'!

The powers decided that all dialects should be suppressed and Mandarin only should be spoken in the Speak Mandarin Campaign, 1979: 講華語運動 - this translated to mostly the death of dialects and with that vast swathes of genuine culture brought over from all over China, because parents were so terrified that their children would lose out in school. Nursery rhymes, songs, little tales .. all lost. The disaster extended to grandchildren being unable to communicate with their grandparents, and this was ignored.

This also put paid to the authentic development of our own Singaporean culture with Malay-dialect words and phrases like "buay tahan". A simple example of forcing the language is kway teow however spelt, as it does not exist as a dish in Beijing.

While I loathe the garbling of grammar and torture of regular pronunciation of English, what has developed in the use of loan words into Standard English as used in Singapore [yet to be defined since no one has been given or taken that role to pronounce on what Standard Singapore English is] gives our brand of English authenticity, something so lacking with us, till even the Merlion is now a "symbol of Singapore"; and as for the re-writing of our history ... . I am glad to use such words as "dhoby - dobi" for laundryman, gasak buta, kena, Alamak!, kaki, gostan and so on. No doubt these may one day disappear as language evolves, but till then let the FT blend in with us and learn those too!

With FT now almost overtaking citizens, the Malay language as a National Language is unlikely to be restored as the lingua franca of Singapore, however simplified it was as we used it. Considering how expressive and easy the language is to learn, and how many millions in Indonesia and Malaysia, our closest neighbours, speak it, this is a pity.

I slaved preparing these two items on how to speak Malay - make a happy start in Malay with these:

http://www.puterim.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=61:languages&Itemid=53

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rough estimation, approx 80-90 % of Singaporeans still have no clue on Johor/Malaysia except all the negative reports they read from the papers..

I still haven't told my father on my purchase in Malaysia and group of old towkays that I occassionally golf with..they are certainly negative with Johor.. To me this is ok.. Our LKY is one of the first old folks who acknowledged there is a chance of success in Iskandar. We still have lots of rooms to invest in Malaysia when people dont believe in this place.. and even ask questions on Malay language as above.. but it is a good step forward when they start asking and learn from it..

Cannot agree with you more.

I just had a Sporean friend who commented last week "Give me free also don't want!", when he was asked whether he wants to buy a house in JB...and this coming from someone who is married to a M'sian!

Sadly, their mentaility is fixated on a simple fact - Many M'sians are trying to get out of their country by seeking PR here. You must be crazy to be trying to get in!..

What they fail to see is the end of the loop - for many of the M'sians that is trying to seek a better life in Sing, they have a string of simple goals -

study in Sing ---> get Sing PR/citizenship ---> hold a Sing Job ---> make good Sing Money ----> buy a Sing Flat ---->buy a landed M'sia home ---->rent out Sing Flat ---->retire in M'sia.

We are just several steps ahead of them...thats all.

Cheers.

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about investment in Iskandar, below are more good news;

Wenzhou Municipal People's Government - Delegation members interested in 8 areas in Iskandar
http://my.news.yahoo.com/irda-spread-investments-iskandar-malaysia-flagship-zones-064446507.html

This is just the tip of the ice-berg. The "Red Army Effect" has not really bloomed in Iskandar yet. The mainlanders like just about anything that is chopped "Singapore"... Once they see Temasek developing a part of Iskandar, they will want a piece of the action too....the M'sians know this, thats why they welcome Temasek with open arms. And when that happens,....all bros here better be prepared for the rocket ride...Its really UP UP away...in price that is...hahaha.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Rough estimation, approx 80-90 % of Singaporeans still have no clue on Johor/Malaysia except all the negative reports they read from the papers..

I still haven't told my father on my purchase in Malaysia and group of old towkays that I occassionally golf with..they are certainly negative with Johor.. To me this is ok.. Our LKY is one of the first old folks who acknowledged there is a chance of success in Iskandar. We still have lots of rooms to invest in Malaysia when people dont believe in this place.. and even ask questions on Malay language as above.. but it is a good step forward when they start asking and learn from it..

That's what I believe in too. We have so much time to invest in Iskandar ahead of others and make the most profit out of it(in terms of percentage) simply because people, Singaporeans and Malaysians alike, do not believe in the capability and follow-thru effort of the Malaysian Government.

Since last year, judging from the cumulative investments into Iskandar(especially Nusajaya) and the Malaysian Government's effort and funding to improve in areas like Public safety(Police Dept), infrastrutures(eg. multi billion ringgit highways and State Admin Centre etc), publicity of Iskandar Region etc etc. My own view since then is that there is a much much higher chance for Nusajaya(I dare not say the whole of Iskandar) to be a success than to fail.

What I think is the same as you guys, which is - As Nusajaya develops and safety of the region improves, more Singaporeans and Malaysians(even those from say KL and Penang) will slowly get to know about Nusajaya and visit the tourist attractions located in Nusajaya(Like Legoland, Indoor theme park, LifeStyle Mall etc). They will finally see for themselves that this place is indeed a very nice place in Malaysia to 'Live, Work and Play'. In fact, being a totally brand new city built with careful planning, it might even be the nicest city in the whole of Malaysia. By that time(2012 tipping point), not just Singaporeans but even richer Malaysians themselves would want to have a piece of the best which their own country has to offer, even if it's just a weekend home.

Many of my friends who are businessmen in JB and can afford to invest in a few properties with their pocket money have not even visited Nusajaya yet. Why? Simply because they have the same mindset as Singaporeans in terms of the capabilities of their own Government. So rest assure that many people, even Malaysians in Johor Bahru, haven't even seen Nusajaya yet, let alone rich Malaysians from all over the country.

Oh yah I've met a Malaysian couple(both working in Sg) at the launch of Impiana Condo outside East Ledang last Sunday. They have a weekend home in Leisure Farm for the past 3 years and only just found out about Nusajaya's progress very recently(or maybe they didn't bother to find out about Nusajaya until recent happenings and publicity). They were at the launch for investment opportunity in Nusajaya's properties. When I asked them whether or not they have visited the beautiful Kota Iskandar and Puteri Harbour, their answer was, 'Where is that??'.

Luckily for us, there's the capable PM Najib, the man who walks the talk, the man of action.

Last edited:

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Considering how expressive and easy the language is to learn, and how many millions in Indonesia and Malaysia, our closest neighbours, speak it, this is a pity.

http://www.puterim.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=61:languages&Itemid=53

Its never too late. Very easy to pick up. Uses Roman alphabet with efficient phonetic spelling.
No feminine/masculine.
No present tense, past tense "Yesterday I go market, today I go market, tomorrow I go market."
Bahasa Indonesia is actually Malay. When my mother in law speaks Javanese, I can only listen out for my name and hope she's saying only good things.

Back in Spore when we were younger, one of my closest buddies who don't speak the language really busted my gut.
He claimed he had just been to the best makan place in Malaysia the night before.
When asked where, what road or landmark.
He proclaimed with the pride of someone who had just discovered his very own gourmet heaven..

"I forgot the name of the place but it was at Jalan Sehala, Johor Bahru."

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good find.

Video clip.
Please do look up other great Petronas holiday greeting clips on youtube. Universal application. Regardless Malay, Chinese, Sporeans or Malaysians, all will be touched. Little lost in subtitle translation.

MACS renewal
Note, unlike passport. 1 year starts from date of renewal not date of expiry. So renew as close to expiry as you can. Should be no prob if you cross daily at KSAB (2nd link). Just be ready with exact RM30.

Hehe i decided to buy it for try, cost less than the Osim replacement filter. Hey it is not bad, has a filtered spray, unlike the Osim filtered water is in one stream, only unfiltered water has spray.

Hey you know anything about the water tank cleaning? I'm curious how people keep the tangki on top of their houses clean? If not cleaned, wouldn't the water very dirty?! Hehe no experience on this as whole life in Singapore lived in high rise!

Last edited:

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asking questions to clarify doubts can only help that much. Best is to go down to experience it for yourself.
Have been to jb very frequently since june this year - that was the very first time we heard of bukit indah . Have visited some of the eateries recommended on this forum and of course various properties. I must say JB is very livable and accessible. The journey has been an exciting one. And my next to do list is picking up the Malay Language. Cheers!

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of my friends who are businessmen in JB and can afford to invest in a few properties with their pocket money have not even visited Nusajaya yet. Why? Simply because they have the same mindset as Singaporeans in terms of the capabilities of their own Government. So rest assure that many people, even Malaysians in Johor Bahru, haven't even seen Nusajaya yet, let alone rich Malaysians from all over the country.

yep that seems to be the sentiment. i have m'sian relatives living along the tebrau corridor, to them nusajaya is like a myth. i guess they are generally too disillusioned to believe progress can occur after decades of lackluster (in fact backwards!) city development, upkeep and nato (empty promises). this may lead to a catch 22 situation which I hope does not become reality though. when the general johorians have caught up to the buzz, all opportunities may be priced out of their reach and become a predominantly foreign playground. This may adversely affect social harmony especially if shrewd politicians fan the fire to collect votes creating dissent. we already saw how the liberal FT policies in SG created a huge backlash politically though the situations are fairly disaggregated in the 2 scenarios.

Actually the progress is more credited to Othman and Wan Abdullah Wan Ibrahim than Najib who's really just given the 2 men his blessings mostly (his wife is another marcos in the making I suspect just looking at her countless different colors of the famed birken bags alone that she owns). I am most impressed by the city wide improvement not limited to nusajaya especially road works. If the infrastructure works continue apace, the quality of living index can only move upwards for all.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wish to pick up min conversational Malay one day.. Attended some courses before with my own money...but have since returned everything back to the guru( teacher rt?)

Its never too late. Very easy to pick up. Uses Roman alphabet with efficient phonetic spelling.
No feminine/masculine.
No present tense, past tense "Yesterday I go market, today I go market, tomorrow I go market."
Bahasa Indonesia is actually Malay. When my mother in law speaks Javanese, I can only listen out for my name and hope she's saying only good things.

Back in Spore when we were younger, one of my closest buddies who don't speak the language really busted my gut.
He claimed he had just been to the best makan place in Malaysia the night before.
When asked where, what road or landmark.
He proclaimed with the pride of someone who had just discovered his very own gourmet heaven..

"I forgot the name of the place but it was at Jalan Sehala, Johor Bahru."

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's some long-life digi thing, pay 30 RM and your credit stays valid for a year.

http://www.digi.com.my/prepaid/reload.do

Quite worth it I think.

Just got a Umobile prepaid number, the store told me only need to reload RM10 can call for one month and receive incoming call for three months, so one year only need to re-load RM40 and can receive call throughout the year. Not written in the brochure, not sure whether it really works that way :smile:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
In malaysian stds is not big agree though it is positively ginormous in SG/HKG stds. first thing my mum commented was its so small when she saw the LF place! i was smiling inside, that means its perfect for me haha. i'd prefer to reduce my carbon footprint whence i can yet enjoy the privacy and space afforded by low-rise housing.

You are so environment friendly, i see all those ang moh staying in humongous houses in the west. Recently i watched this BBC decor show and they featured one normal (i.e not extra rich) couple with a child staying in this humongous house in the UK non-urban area. Everything is huge and open. The view is perfect, no neighbour in sight! Where to find such house in Asia? So far only see some in south Taiwan.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
What someone wrote to me, bros we need to take more responsibility for ourselves, simple questions like that are asked almost on a weekly basis. Either the person doesn't want to google or search for themselves or they are busier than you.

I really am up to my ears in work (which is why sometimes i reply around the clock)
but people like that really make me sad. They either don't want to find out for things themselves or let little little things stop them from getting to places they want.

I have avoided putting his name here and taken out other questions not related to this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
my last PM to you was three weeks ago however you didn't reply...

are u avoiding me or something..?

anyway, hope u can reply on this question...

Is it necessary to learn Malay Language to survive over there..?
thanks..

Hi forummer, there are lots of PMs daily and i have a full time job and business. I was having log in problems as well. No one is avoiding you as there is nothing to avoid. This is not work so please don't state i have not replied to you for 3 weeks or add read receipts.

If you have urgent questions, you can post them on the forums. Lots of people would be keen to help you.

To reply to your question, It is not, i know not more than 3 words until now. This was already discussed and posted on the forum previously.

Haha cannot be lah, sure we know more than three words just by driving on the roads - AWAS (danger), masuk (enter), keluar (exit), berhenti (stop), kereta (car), bas (bus). I had done a basic Malay course in community centre many years ago, was surprised to know then some words like sabun are actually Malay (soap). So you probably know more words than you thought so. :biggrin:

I think Malay not that difficult to learn though I have forgotten everything by now. Somebody can tell me satu ragus limu puluh ringgit empat sens is how people say RM154.40? If not, how to say it correctly? Trying to learn to understand what is the amount supermarket cashier is telling me to pay. Can't find through online Malay translator. But English and Chinese are everywhere in supermarket, and the cashiers/staff at Jusco etc all can speak English, so can buy things easily even without knowing Malay.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Few weeks ago I met a property agent in Singapore.. When I asked her on her opinion regarding JB, she frowned. She is a Malaysian but might live in Singapore for too long..

On a separate occassion when my wife family has a gathering, there is a distant relative who is a big property and timber tycoon from Sarawak.. He commented negatively on Malaysian govt, saying they built hardwares but not softwares etc..even though that is how he made his fortunes... When I asked him about Iskandar, he paused..and when he continued, he said Iskandar might be different..and better chance of success..

I take this as positive news..

I just had a Sporean friend who commented last week "Give me free also don't want!", when he was asked whether he wants to buy a house in JB...and this coming from someone who is married to a M'sian!

Sadly, their mentaility is fixated on a simple fact - Many M'sians are trying to get out of their country by seeking PR here. You must be crazy to be trying to get in!..

What they fail to see is the end of the loop - for many of the M'sians that is trying to seek a better life in Sing, they have a string of simple goals -

study in Sing ---> get Sing PR/citizenship ---> hold a Sing Job ---> make good Sing Money ----> buy a Sing Flat ---->buy a landed M'sia home ---->rent out Sing Flat ---->retire in M'sia.

Cheers.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2011 Uncertainty drives Middle Eastern investors to the "sensible market" of Malaysian property
Published September 27th, 2011 - 12:32 GMT via SyndiGate.info

The enduring legacy of 2011 will be one of uncertainty in the Middle Eastern investment community, as the effects of the Arab Spring on a regional level, and both the Eurozone crisis and downgrading of Americaʼs economy make themselves felt in markets around the world.

As a result, IP Global notes that Middle East investors have reacted by turning their sights toward the more stable investment markets, such as those of Malaysian real estate.

The release of figures to highlight such a trend was made at Cityscape Global 2011, now in its tenth successful year. According to internal research, IP Global has seen a marked rise of UAE investors into Malaysia of 11.4% Q3 2010 - Q3 2011, underlining its perception as "safe haven" market.

According to Tim Murphy, IP Global's Founder and Managing Director, "Malaysia is a sensible market and tends to perform more steadily than the rest of Asia. The property market is well regulated, such that speculators cannot buy and sell quickly, so it doesn't tend to create a boom and bust scenario. That is why we have seen 5.3% growth in the past 19 years.

A positive Malaysian economic outlook, with the Malaysian Ringgit (formerly Malaysian Dollar) growing in strength against the US Dollar, the country is providing its investors with huge potential. Malaysiaʼs transport links and infrastructure is rapidly gaining pace across many of its cities, and with tourism continuing to rise, real estate investment is predicted to yield great returns for the astute property investor.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha cannot be lah, sure we know more than three words just by driving on the roads - AWAS (danger), masuk (enter), keluar (exit), berhenti (stop), kereta (car), bas (bus). I had done a basic Malay course in community centre many years ago, was surprised to know then some words like sabun are actually Malay (soap). So you probably know more words than you thought so. :biggrin:

I think Malay not that difficult to learn though I have forgotten everything by now. Somebody can tell me satu ragus limu puluh ringgit empat sens is how people say RM154.40? If not, how to say it correctly? Trying to learn to understand what is the amount supermarket cashier is telling me to pay. Can't find through online Malay translator. But English and Chinese are everywhere in supermarket, and the cashiers/staff at Jusco etc all can speak English, so can buy things easily even without knowing Malay.

today i met a malay woman cleaner at Bestari Heights Show house...she speaks relatively good English ...:smile:

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

I don't think it is your obligations to answer people's questions especially those taking this for granted. You including many bros here have already been so kind and generous in answering people's questions!

"are u avoiding me or something..?" sounds like some ex-girlfriend who was dumped by her ex-boyfriend chasing after the ex-boyfriend. I had read several pages of this thread before joining this forum and I think it is of those new members' interest to read through those pages themselves starting from the first page. I haven't finished reading all pages but I just like many others here am reading several pages each day to catch up.

All I want to say is thank everyone who has offered help, advice and suggestions and shared their experience, thoughts and feeling from time to time.

What someone wrote to me, bros we need to take more responsibility for ourselves, simple questions like that are asked almost on a weekly basis. Either the person doesn't want to google or search for themselves or they are busier than you.

I really am up to my ears in work (which is why sometimes i reply around the clock)
but people like that really make me sad. They either don't want to find out for things themselves or let little little things stop them from getting to places they want.

I have avoided putting his name here and taken out other questions not related to this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
my last PM to you was three weeks ago however you didn't reply...

are u avoiding me or something..?

anyway, hope u can reply on this question...

Is it necessary to learn Malay Language to survive over there..?
thanks..

Hi forummer, there are lots of PMs daily and i have a full time job and business. I was having log in problems as well. No one is avoiding you as there is nothing to avoid. This is not work so please don't state i have not replied to you for 3 weeks or add read receipts.

If you have urgent questions, you can post them on the forums. Lots of people would be keen to help you.

To reply to your question, It is not, i know not more than 3 words until now. This was already discussed and posted on the forum previously.

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you very much for the assurance! I will need to get one of these there before people start queing up for one.

Yes, also possible at Tuas, and probably fewer people applying as well. No need to prove you go in 4 times a month any more.RM$30, and annually renewable.

mathstub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro, Great info! Now I have a clearer picture of the development. I know my potential future neighbors may be rich and didn't know they could be that rich! :smile:

Hi mathstub bro,

If you're talking about Superlinks, the prices have always been high as compared to normal links, the last time HH launched superlinks was probably a year ago at The Golf, and it was already selling from between 650k to 800k and above. The last few intermediate superlinks at The Gateway were sold for close to 600K in 2008. Of course some of these units have golf view. Then again we can't compare launching prices between precincts as these units are launched in different years, not concurrently. The reason why the developer has priced it this high is mainly because prices have generally increased over time. To a lesser extent, i would say The Hills units are generally better in terms of topography with huge flat terrain, quality, size, design, landscape, management, security, layout of precinct, golf views, privacy and location as it is nearer to the club house. This is also why some of the well known top gov servants (including Johor top man chief minister) and sultan have units there. I would say the security is tight.

Over at The Gateway, last i heard, the Sri Lankan group has flipped most if not all of their 40 units. Most of the units are now owner occupied or rented out.

There's quite a lot of resale activity going on at The Golf, if you're a resident there, you would have noticed a cluster home owner driving a black Lamborghini, he stays there, some of these people drive cars that cost multiple times more than their home. I believe the prices are still sustainable at this level. :smile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.