• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
For bros who are worry about powerlines when buying your johor prop, you will be interested in my following contribution.
i hope bros will find this piece of info useful.
At first the power cables look intimidating.. however my current concern is whether there will be congestion once nusa bayu is up..

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cathy Sis, I didn't know it's that bad. Cannot imagine leaving the house unattended for 1 year. However I've heard for the place we stay, once any resident complain about a particular contractor company, that company will be blacklisted and banned to come in forever, so no business for them for the whole estate. So over here, residents have a lot of say and contractors normally don't dare to try anything funny. They also have strict rules to follow, like that time, they left a lot of sand on the driveway, the guards have to summon them back to clear up the dust and repair some damages they made and so they did. They are also barred to enter on Sundays and have to leave before 6 or 6.30pm from Mondays to Saturdays. We have seen the old guard riding bike to chase contractors out after 6.30pm. This was the case, but now, seems like the old guard has changed, they have relaxed quite some.
Blacklist is usually given to new owners by developers & they may turn down issuing the renovation permit..
However one problem in SEG is that one of the blacklisted contractor bot a unit there & convert the place to a showhouse.. perpetually under renovation...

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paints .... can anyone recommend a pretty good brand of paint that is washable for indoors? so that minor stains can be removed?
Bro, in my view, most renovation items wld be cheaper in My..
For paint, heard not much diff between ICI & nippon paint in terms of price so either shd be fine..
Think I took the ICI pentalite indoor paint based on selected colours.. it is ok for removing minor stains..

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blacklist is usually given to new owners by developers & they may turn down issuing the renovation permit..
However one problem in SEG is that one of the blacklisted contractor bot a unit there & convert the place to a showhouse.. perpetually under renovation...

I was referring to HH, and actually from what i have heard, once they are blacklisted, and if valid, they will be banned from coming into HH to do any contractor work. This was sometime back in around 2009, not sure if it is still true.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
lots of congestion around Setia Tropika bro....during peak hours....

and if you guys have noticed lots of congestion along jalan tebrau as well

At first the power cables look intimidating.. however my current concern is whether there will be congestion once nusa bayu is up..

Last edited:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok bro

I got a decent idea about taps....

but taps really that bad in Johor ah?

correction of typo, should be
when I found out water taps were almost half price as compared to sg, I bought to replace old taps in sg. But after 2 years of usage, I switch back to more expensive pub approved taps. johor taps are lighter in weight and lack in quality.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
That means i must buy my taps/mixers etc from spore and they must have the pub seal

am i correct?

Any shops to recommend in spore?

correction of typo, should be
when I found out water taps were almost half price as compared to sg, I bought to replace old taps in sg. But after 2 years of usage, I switch back to more expensive pub approved taps. johor taps are lighter in weight and lack in quality.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have, got 1 guy doing window screens, he said can do in SG also, can do car screens also, hahaha.....

Hmm so car, renovation and air con contractor all can provide service in both JB and Singapore. May be plumber, mover and any other house service contractor also can.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
bought taps at hardware shop in a hdb estate and they had pub approved stickers. they are simple taps, no aesthetic design.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can also be Singaporean contractors living in JB like my hubby. :smile: Or Malaysian contractors who lives in JB but do their business in Singapore like my Malaysian friends. Or even Malaysian contractors doing business both in JB and Singapore like my other Malaysian friends. :smile:

I think contractor business is very mobile. They go where the bucks is. :wink:

Anyone know how to multi quote? Just now i clicked the bottom right of Cathy and leman post but didn't work.

They have been around for ages. Typically they work on your house for 2 to 3 weeks, then they cook up some story (in my case they said one of the worker have to go back JB get married)... they then work 2 to 3 weeks in JB and back again in SG.

mika14

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,

anyone know in JB where got a lot of IT shops?
was thinking of printing my DVD sticker labels from jpg files in JB.
also is it possible to scan hardcopies books here to PDF files? consisting of few hundred pages ... in JB?

thanks!

HH_lover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alright, just wanting to share something meaningful to all. At the end, a little note to bro Wuqi...

link here

Life is so much more meaningful when you have people to share it with. I've really benefitted from the conversations within this wonderful thread. I believe many have as well!

"Live life meaningfully!"

Last edited:

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alright, just wanting to share something meaningful to all. At the end, a little note to bro Wuqi...

link here

Life is so much more meaningful when you have people to share it with. I've really benefitted from the conversations within this wonderful thread. I believe many have as well!

"Live life meaningfully!"

I agree with you HH_lover. Thai insurance produces nice advertisements which pull at my heart strings when watching them.

This thread has been wonderful and beneficial.

I enjoy reading your blog too. :smile:

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just a question :

My family is thinking of going in during the hari raya break...any idea if the hypermarts, shops will be open during the festive occasion? Appreciate your response.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Back finally, in between my job and my wife's school, have been busy with helping friends/relatives with:

1. Defect rectification - Helping folks inspect for Nusa Duta, HH, etc
2. Recommending them on what to do for renovation, etc
3. Helping to recommend what car(MPV) to get
4. Helping to recommend places to fix cars and stuff as recently 2 relatives/friends wives/daughters reversed their cars into pillars, etc
5. Helping out some folks from PMs
6. Occasional neighbour needing help with IT, in the middle of the night. Yes middle of the night.
Need help with wifi too

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
From some of the PMs, its really heartening to see folks really taking the plunge, i am glad to respond to questions but really lack of time at times as i fall flat to bed the past couple of days as work wise was super busy. Had to organize stuff, get things scheduled, counter some politics at work and then help with maid/teachers teething problems at school.

Of course, my ever appreciative wife would then say i am useless, how come i am not perfect etc and always helping out people and neglecting her, etc. So have to strike a balance.

Some folks on PM need help too, i wish more can be done by the government but knowing them, i think its better we help ourselves. There are some folks on the fringes who needs help too so i tried to point them to the right direction and hopefully right place. For folks planning to retire and don't need to travel in daily, JB is a godsend.

For that matter, even certain places Thailand is a good place to retire to too. Chiangmai/Chiangrai is still ok. I have a couple of high flyer friends who have been bitten by the JB bug and are coming in more often these days for the groceries, petrol and car maintenance.

Bros, for taps wise, 3 places you can explore:
1. Outside Carrefour at Sutera Mall, there is a hardware shop on the 2nd floor
2. Near Ban Huat Aircon, there is a Asaki place
3. Finally near Carrefour at Tebrau city, there are a row of shops near the MacDonalds.
The local contractors swear by it, that place you can get kitchen stuff/ tiles, etc. I have been requested
not to reveal the name as it may spoil the market but then being me, at least i gave rough
directions. :wink:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Checkers, most are open during that time, some may even be open more than usual. Jusco for sure will be open as with Tesco. Giant wise i think so too. Go to Mydin near the East Ledang/Ledang Heights area. Some of the stuff are really cheap, 3 pin multi plugs at 2.90, DVD/VCD cleaner kit at 2.60. Quite a good deal there.

For folks who want good hairstyling(higher class type), go to Tesco(Bukit Indah) where near the KFC, there is a very good salon there with hair treatment. Or Lings outside Sutera Mall (near the Pontian Wanton Noodles)

Last edited:

Skippy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you HH_lover. Thai insurance produces nice advertisements which pull at my heart strings when watching them.

This thread has been wonderful and beneficial.

I enjoy reading your blog too. :smile:

HI Folks,

My apologies ... has been away and so much to catch up.... Managed to read to date....
Welcome all our new bros & sisters...

During this period... i've been furniture shopping with my parents and also budgetting for the new house... hoping that we can collect the keys by 3Q next year... it's been another journey learning about buying furnitures.... oh yes talking abt the cracked wall tiles... i'm also recently facing that & seems like one of our folk here is also having such issue... never tot i can engage JB contractors... but i like that idea hope to save some $$... hee hee

Since most of us are going to be free as most kids are on sch holidays.. i guess i can start the kopi session soon... i've recently found a nice cheesecake place tot may want to have it there.. i'll be checking out with the boss there to hold an afternoon tea like on sat... it's a cafe & bistro that serve food too... nice place called cheelicious http://gowhere.woohoo.com.my/1700/cheelicious/
Pai sei i'll go set up and once liaise with more new updates...

Oh Bro HH... u made me tears.... so touching... Recently been thinking... Life is just so much about our loves one... whether u are a child, a parent, a spouse... in any role we are in... it's our closest kins we would always love and care most about... i wish you all well and have a splendid weekend ahead.... never too late to say "I LOVE YOU" and yes i agree to thank Bro Wuqi to share his experiences and made this journey a possible for many of us here... not forgetting every each of the bros and sisters tooo ... without u all... it would not have been fun to hear so many interesting stuffs each of us see and do.

Cheers to all!

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congestion along Tebrau Highway is probably due to the road works near the Pandan Interchange (Part of the EDL). It is affecting both directions and I am avoiding Tebrau for now, until the roads are completed, it has been a week already, should be back to normal soon, I hope.

lots of congestion around Setia Tropika bro....during peak hours....

and if you guys have noticed lots of congestion along jalan tebrau as well

Status
Not open for further replies.