• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently when I called contractors from classified adverts for quotes to repair tiles in my SG place, a few of them said they are actually in JB! Wonder did they just come over from JB to do business or all along all the renovation contractors in SG are from JB?!

They have been around for ages. Typically they work on your house for 2 to 3 weeks, then they cook up some story (in my case they said one of the worker have to go back JB get married)... they then work 2 to 3 weeks in JB and back again in SG.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently when I called contractors from classified adverts for quotes to repair tiles in my SG place, a few of them said they are actually in JB! Wonder did they just come over from JB to do business or all along all the renovation contractors in SG are from JB?!

Can also be Singaporean contractors living in JB like my hubby. :smile: Or Malaysian contractors who lives in JB but do their business in Singapore like my Malaysian friends. Or even Malaysian contractors doing business both in JB and Singapore like my other Malaysian friends. :smile:

I think contractor business is very mobile. They go where the bucks is. :wink:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have, got 1 guy doing window screens, he said can do in SG also, can do car screens also, hahaha.....

I can swear that most contractors doing their businesses in Singapore are from JB. Even if you get a Singaporean interior designers or a famous/reliable Singapore registered company, their subcontractors are all come from JB. Some of their workers are even from Bangladesh, China... :biggrin: The thing is they can sub-work for a lower price then a Singaporean company. :wink:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have been around for ages. Typically they work on your house for 2 to 3 weeks, then they cook up some story (in my case they said one of the worker have to go back JB get married)... they then work 2 to 3 weeks in JB and back again in SG.

Yap. Means on project by project basis lah. Got one contracter friend who live further up north, travel by motor for 1 hr all the way to the Malaysia custom together with all his workers, just work in Singapore for say 1-2 weeks, then back to JB for a break before going back again. In JB, he lives in a bungalow. :P

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you guys have noticed lotsa school holidays starting from tomorrow....

1) For those schools being used as polling stations tomorrow afternoon no lessonss p1 and p2
2) monday aug 29 holiday in lieu of PE
3) tuesday aug 30 hari raya holiday
4) aug 31st afternoon session early dismissal
5) sept 1 teachers day celebration
6) sept 2 holiday in lieu of teachers day celebration
7) sept 3-11 school holidays

great time for kids eh?

cancelled all tuitions in deference to karmabears suggestions...:smile:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is absolutely right

I can swear that most contractors doing their businesses in Singapore are from JB. Even if you get a Singaporean interior designers or a famous/reliable Singapore registered company, their subcontractors are all come from JB. Some of their workers are even from Bangladesh, China... :biggrin: The thing is they can sub-work for a lower price then a Singaporean company. :wink:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you guys have noticed lotsa school holidays starting from tomorrow....

1) For those schools being used as polling stations tomorrow afternoon no lessonss p1 and p2
2) monday aug 29 holiday in lieu of PE
3) tuesday aug 30 hari raya holiday
4) aug 31st afternoon session early dismissal
5) sept 1 teachers day celebration
6) sept 2 holiday in lieu of teachers day celebration
7) sept 3-11 school holidays

great time for kids eh?

cancelled all tuitions in deference to karmabears suggestions...:smile:

Well good for you all. But its time to buck up my son's PSLE. Will be busier then ever. :(

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it cheaper to buy paints in Singapore or in Malaysia?

Anybody has experience in this since we are talking about renovations?

Think my home in Sg needs a new coat of paint..

geritan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can bro and sis here share how long your house's state consent takes to approve? Any different between buying from developer and sub-sale? My lawyer just submitted mine, wonder how long would it takes?

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal

Both side Nippon paint has got totally different series. Even the paint I got in Singapore, couldn't even find the exact same colour there. But price is a little cheaper in JB I think.

kopiman

Alfrescian
Loyal
AT LEAST YOU HAVE LAND! I wouldn't do it, but if you paid a landscape designer, you would be amazed at how she/he could transform any piece of land into a lush haven.

Our library has many books to borrow on landscaping, gardening, gardens-in-small-places, gardening in pots, vegetable and fruit gardens, planting a herb garden, orchids for absolute beginners etc. Do make full use of an excellent library system.

Hi guys, first time here. I got the key for my house in Bukit Indah just weeks ago, now headache for the garden landscape design and the renovation. Someone showed me this website for landscape design service, http://www.mclgardenservice.com , did anyone here try their service before? Was the price or service good?

Is there a good and reasonable cheap contractor out there? Anyone can pass me the contact?

Thank you.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal

bought nippon paint 2 weeks ago at a shop along bestari, near bestmart and on the same side of the street.. It gave 20% discount for 5-liter can. I may be wrong, I heard nippon paint has factory in malaysia, so it could not be more expensive than sg, likely to be cheaper.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about taps/mixer taps?

Cheaper in Sg or Malaysia?

Need to change some of these as well....
when I found out water taps were almost half price s compared to sg, I bought to replace old taps in sg. But after 2 years of usage, I switch back to more expensive pulityb approved taps. johor taps are lighter in weight and lack in quality.

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
when I found out water taps were almost half price s compared to sg, I bought to replace old taps in sg. But after 2 years of usage, I switch back to more expensive pulityb approved taps. johor taps are lighter in weight and lack in quality.
correction of typo, should be
when I found out water taps were almost half price as compared to sg, I bought to replace old taps in sg. But after 2 years of usage, I switch back to more expensive pub approved taps. johor taps are lighter in weight and lack in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.