• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh you remember my love for toddy ah?

Yea bro .... actually if i stayed there everyday got more and better results....

At the moment i live there only from fri evening to sun morning.... So not sufficient time....

Also live there during PH and school hols..

This is good stuff. Inspiring. Some people buy land in Indonesia to plant food to ensure food supply. I think you are one up. Just across the border in your own backyard. You have also the raw ingredients to make vodka & toddy :smile:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Share ur gardening tips bro

AP , I know nothing about gardening leh ... But some how managed to get the trees , grass to grow nicely after one year of try and errors . My objective is to have a maintainance free garden ( almost there already , only need to do a little triming , insecticle if needed and fertiliser once in a month can liao ) . Got a electronic timer to water the plants everyday ( very important as I can only be there once or twice a month ) . I also choose plants that are very slow glowing type , and for glass I go for pearl grass . Mine is more for decorative purpose , unlike yours which can be comsume lor . I started with very cheap and studdy plants in case it dies off ... later maybe can try some more expensive type lor .

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am keen to go for MM2H too.. All foreigners working in Singapore have the advantage to work and return to their country some days.. I hope to work in Singapore and retire in other country someday as well.. Malaysia is the best match as culturally they are very similar as us.. Won't be the sucker to GLCs, capital malls, NTUC, Petrol cartels and all the Public Private Partnership programs....

Gone are the days of quiet Singaporeans where everyone was afraid to speak up. Now for the future for us all to stand up. But even stand up in SG is no use, better stand up and pack and go to some nicer more relaxed place. can't wake, sick of the upper class so called hyprocrite elites. In malaysia where we have experienced so far it's so much warmer people there.

especially the people selling food.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the advises..

Regarding custom, I asked for white cards and they gave me a thick stack and ask $10 kopi money..in return.. Very nice..[/QUOTE

pay 20 rm more can get the MACS or something like dat. i finally did mine, was a super brezze, they see, dun need to chop and juz go. all in less than 5 secs.

Bigfatfish

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got almost all plants that we need for day to day use like curry leaves, mint, lemon grass, turmeric, kafir lime, lemon, banana, bitter gourd, spinach, red, purple and green chilli padi, holy basil, ginger, tapioca, onion, potato, coconut tree, mango tree.... Name it... la .... most likely there already....

Oh yea forgot got Colocasia (green collard) my favourite as well

I lost touch with gardening around 1993+.

So took a while to regain some of the skills....

My garden was in the hands of my maid for 16 months. Nothing happened...

And now i took over from end April.... And see the transformation sia.... Wah...im so proud already.....

BTW i dun lay claims to being the best gardener on this forum.... THAT AWARD WILL BE RESERVED FOR MALLOW for the moment.

You have to discuss with ur wife la bro what plants u wanna plant. Depends if ur in laws gonna visit... They too may wanna have a say....

Also its carpet grass or cultivation. Extremely difficult to maintain both.....

Oh yea got flowering plants as well...

but my botany sucks... dunno the names.

Mr AP you are so lucky, can already start. I wish i can start mine straight away. good luck to your garden. I plan to grow all these as well.,

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
My wife says i am playing farmville by remote... HU hu...... using my maid to help me do the digging and stuff... But hi ya she needs 200% monitoring else she will yank out the plants while transplanting and the roots will be gone.....

Please elaborate on ur electronic timer cum sprinkler bro.... Cost and where you got it from.... I think i need it as welll especially during the super hot days......

Yeah if u dun wanna do a lot of gardening then a maintenance free one with sturdy plants is the way to go bro....

Where do you get ur insecticides from? i only use organic ones..... do you use compost? i guess not cause of the grass right?

AP , I know nothing about gardening leh ... But some how managed to get the trees , grass to grow nicely after one year of try and errors . My objective is to have a maintainance free garden ( almost there already , only need to do a little triming , insecticle if needed and fertiliser once in a month can liao ) . Got a electronic timer to water the plants everyday ( very important as I can only be there once or twice a month ) . I also choose plants that are very slow glowing type , and for glass I go for pearl grass . Mine is more for decorative purpose , unlike yours which can be comsume lor . I started with very cheap and studdy plants in case it dies off ... later maybe can try some more expensive type lor .

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is right bro.

You save the white card filling up and completing hassle

Then must check got chop in passport or not...

Then must check got chop on white card or not

Then must not lose white card....

hi ya why all the hassle right?

Just get MACS and life is so easy after that.....

Agree with u bro

Thanks for the advises..

Regarding custom, I asked for white cards and they gave me a thick stack and ask $10 kopi money..in return.. Very nice..[/QUOTE

pay 20 rm more can get the MACS or something like dat. i finally did mine, was a super brezze, they see, dun need to chop and juz go. all in less than 5 secs.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
But its a long process bro....

Need to prepare the land like a farmer like that.... Ofcourse can do short cuts like prepare the land only where you are planting so life gets a tad easier... He he.....

Then once you plants start to grow watch out for measly bugs and caterpillars. They can wreak havoc to your plants....

so organice insecticide is a must and repeated spraying.

Mr AP you are so lucky, can already start. I wish i can start mine straight away. good luck to your garden. I plan to grow all these as well.,

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Bigfatfish wish you luck in ur endeavour as well. AS Jason said gardening is quite relaxing....

Surprisingly a lot of men seem to be doing it... he he.... staying away from their wives? an easy get away from wives without having to do indulge in vices?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah its relaxing as jason said and to watch the plants grow and fruit is highly satisfying....

Although i could still say its cheaper to buy from the market than growing our own produce... cause our own produce is so organic that its so so expensive also...

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
yday at newton i paid S$ 3 per kelapa. In malaysia Rm 6 for 2. lots of water and sweet from the farm. ofcourse i know cheaper also have la... just a comparison

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where you gets those electronic sprinkles?

I am going to get my house pretty soon..maybe another 3 months? However, kid still studying in Singapore so cant live in JB all the time and thus need some electronic to help me watering plants... Btw I bought a Ramba robot from ebay to help cleaning the floor.. US is selling at 290... Singapore is selling at 995.. How to live in Singapore when everything is so expensive?

My wife says i am playing farmville by remote... HU hu...... using my maid to help me do the digging and stuff... But hi ya she needs 200% monitoring else she will yank out the plants while transplanting and the roots will be gone.....

Please elaborate on ur electronic timer cum sprinkler bro.... Cost and where you got it from.... I think i need it as welll especially during the super hot days......

Yeah if u dun wanna do a lot of gardening then a maintenance free one with sturdy plants is the way to go bro....

Where do you get ur insecticides from? i only use organic ones..... do you use compost? i guess not cause of the grass right?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where you gets those electronic sprinkles?

I am going to get my house pretty soon..maybe another 3 months? However, kid still studying in Singapore so cant live in JB all the time and thus need some electronic to help me watering plants... Btw I bought a Ramba robot from ebay to help cleaning the floor.. US is selling at 290... Singapore is selling at 995.. How to live in Singapore when everything is so expensive?

Bought at ebay usa , like this can liao http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GILMOUR-950...520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c581a1d0 , buy simple but good one hor ! Have been using this for 2yrs no problem so far . First must lay all the pipes to watering pts , maybe about 1 to 2m per point . All this goes to your timer which is conected to your tap which must be on at all time . Use sprinkle head like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Toro-Lawn-Genie...931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25658787f3 will work well . ( Not all sprinkler nozzles will work ) . Also make sure water presure is pretty high otherwise sprinker nozzles will not rotate hor !
Oh yes you can lay pipes under ground if you wish , look neater but if you wanted alteration became very difficult liao . If you want to see actual working of these sprinkles can visit me at my house lor ..
All pipes and fitting can easily get at JB hardware shop , whole setup should be less than 350 buck lar . BTW AP , I bought my insecticle at the nursery at the temple alone Bestari , very effective and I dont think is organic.

Last edited:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought at ebay usa , like this can liao http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GILMOUR-950...520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c581a1d0 , buy simple but good one hor ! Have been using this for 2yrs no problem so far . First must lay all the pipes to watering pts , maybe about 1 to 2m per point . All this goes to your timer which is conected to your tap which must be on at all time . Use sprinkle head like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Toro-Lawn-Genie...931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25658787f3 will work well . ( Not all sprinkler nozzles will work ) . Also make sure water presure is pretty high otherwise sprinker nozzles will not rotate hor !
Oh yes you can lay pipes under ground if you wish , look neater but if you wanted alteration became very difficult liao . If you want to see actual working of these sprinkles can visit me at my house lor ..
All pipes and fitting can easily get at JB hardware shop , whole setup should be less than 350 buck lar . BTW AP , I bought my insecticle at the nursery at the temple alone Bestari , very effective and I dont think is organic.

Wah! thank you! very interesting.. Will visit your house one day!

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's durian season. Anyone knows of any good durian plantations to get durians?
My neighbour's relatives got D101 for RM4 / Kg - very fresh and shiok. Gave us a few. Will have to ask for the exact location of the plantation next time ....

I bought good durians from hawker at abt RM22/Kg for Mao Shan and RM10/Kg for D13 ...

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Bigfatfish wish you luck in ur endeavour as well. AS Jason said gardening is quite relaxing....

Surprisingly a lot of men seem to be doing it... he he.... staying away from their wives? an easy get away from wives without having to do indulge in vices?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah its relaxing as jason said and to watch the plants grow and fruit is highly satisfying....

Although i could still say its cheaper to buy from the market than growing our own produce... cause our own produce is so organic that its so so expensive also...

The only hobby which wife can’t complaint lor ... . After a hard day work in the garden, she may even pamper you on the bed
haha!

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi AP
I posted to your flattering award on my gardening two days ago, and somehow it did not get uploaded. Thank you! My husband does the hard work while I swan around looking countrified. In return for your flattery, send me yr snailmail address and I'll send you some super kacang botor seeds. Others willing to send stamped envelopes also can get free seeds.

Clayey soil is a problem for most of us. Here is some advice from the net:

1. Add coarse sand to the clay soil, after it has been dug down and tilled over. Helps break up the clay. Use sparingly and see how the effect is first. Some peole think it almost makes concrete.
2. Do you need to lime and how much to lime – measuring pH
Measuring Soil Acidity (pH level)
You can buy various types of test kit, often you mix a soil sample with water then compare a colour change to a chart, but this is a bit of a pain for taking more than a couple of samples. I use an electronic meter, which is much easier just requiring polishing and inserting into wet soil.
Whichever kit you use, it will come with instructions and will give you a reading. Never make a judgement on the basis of just one test. You may have hit a spot particularly high or low pH. Take samples or test from a number of spots and this will give you a much better general view of your soil’s acidity level.

Agricultural Lime or Garden Lime is made from pulverized limestone or chalk. As well as raising the pH it will provide calcium for the crops and trace nutrients. Some recent experiments are indicating our soils may well benefit from the addition of rock dust, adding trace nutrients to the soil. Dolomite Lime is similar to garden lime but contains a higher percentage of magnesium.
3. The first thing you have to do in order to turn your clay soil into fresh-smelling, enriched dirt is to rototill the ground. There is no getting around it; the ground has to be plowed and tilled before you can mix in organic matter. Anyone who has rototilled clay soil will tell you to be prepared for a workout because it will feel like you are trying to till through concrete. Waiting until after a good rain when the ground is softer is not going to help with clay soil because water only makes clay clump more.
4. Enrich the soil - the main objective is to improve aeration and drainage. Add organic compost to your soil. Compost will add nutrients to the soil, but the most benefit it will have for clay soil is to intersperse air into it. Plant roots need air. Clay soil's composition is dense with little air. It can actually suffocate a plant. Compost allows water to drain more freely. Clay soil holds on to water and causes root rot in many types of plants. Layer approximately 2 inches of compost over the top of the worked clay soil. Mix it in thoroughly.
Conduct the ball squeeze soil test. Grab a handful of soil after the compost enrichment. Squeeze the soil and then open your hand. The soil should break apart easily. If the soil holds the shape of your hand, it needs more compost. Layer an inch over the top and work it in. Redo the hand test. Add more compost, if necessary.

erm ... a compost heap is TERRIFIC. For neat gardens, get one of the plastic ones with a handle to turn the stuff: in goes all the kitchen veg and fruit peelings, newspaper and other paper stuff. Uses up all this stuff and makes great soil.

I am happy to share worms and info with anyone who wants to start a home worm farm - cannot find the worms except in Penang. Amazingly good fertiliser in clean worm pee and castings. Anyone?

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's durian season. Anyone knows of any good durian plantations to get durians?
My neighbour's relatives got D101 for RM4 / Kg - very fresh and shiok. Gave us a few. Will have to ask for the exact location of the plantation next time ....

I bought good durians from hawker at abt RM22/Kg for Mao Shan and RM10/Kg for D13 ...

AP is going to plant 2 Mao Shan durian tree and invite all of you for durian session few yrs time .. can charge us 22 per kg lor / I think pine tree is less useful

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.