• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hpy090909

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, no agent to recommend but hotels aplenty, Pariss hotel, Eurorich(with the Platinum pub) and if you like Sutera Mall area, then go for Suan Bee, Kingston.
All quite cheap and good. Pariss hotel is the latest so far, has a spa too so the wife/mum can relax as well

hi wuqi, thanks for the replies ... how far to the custom is the pariss hotel ?

im looking for one as near the customs (2nd link) as possible ....u previously mentioned that 630 am is a good time to reach customs ...may i know is that by car or bike ?? cause when i view the webcam @ 630 am ...car lanes seems clear but bike lanes already pretty congested

hpy090909

Alfrescian
Loyal
just want to share a website with u guys ....www.dealextreme.com

free shipping to anywhere in the world ...but shipping takes about 2-3 weeks ...sometimes months

alot of electronic stuff are damn cheap there ....for cheap clothes with free shipping can try searching for vancl or asos online ...cheers and happy shopping

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I attach the following story posted on the onlinecitizen for some mulling over...

Shitty ! They can give citizenship to any Ah Thiongs and Ah Nehs with some fake degree and cant do something for a newly born baby , WTF ! Not possible to do DNA test if they dont belive her story ?

singaporeplebian

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi guys...this is my situation..

my HDB flat is fully paid up...its value is around S$0.5mil. i have close to S$1mil in cash savings...My wife and I have around S$0.5mil in CPF savings (OA and SA)...so technically our assets is close to S$2m...i am 40 years old this year. our only liability is the 40K loan on our 3 year old car.

I am not boasting about what i have as I know there are loads of people out there who are doing much better than me...having said this, I would like to believe that i am doing relatively ok for my age given that i started with $0 to my name fresh from Uni 15 years ago. my wife and i lived frugally and we started with a 3rm HDB flat and moved up from there. I owned a condo before and have since sold it.

As i posted earlier, I was very tempted to commit to a JB house more than 10 years ago and is in fact still tempted today. even to a person like myself, i find it unthinkable to be able to retire comfortably in Sing given the way things are today - the unending rise in price of almost everythin. I held the thought 10 years ago and even more so today with 3 kids in tow. however what makes me stop each time is the simple notion of "value". No matter how expensive Sing houses are, there is an intrinsic premium that is associated with it. in other words, there must be a reason why even the shabbiest of 3 room HDB flat in Sing is worth more than the average terrace or semi-d in JB.

so instead of buying a JB house with the little money i have 10 years ago, i bite the bullet and bought a cheap condo in Sing...as it turned out, i made a better decision then.

However that was then, looking at the way things have panned out in JB, it seems that the tides have changed and now i think its the right time to get my dream house in JB.

or is it? :confused:

Still looking... :biggrin:

Hi there,

I think yours is an excellent post and fuel for thought. Not too long ago, I posted a question on whether or not financial considerations were the frontrunning reasons for "making the move".

The very fact that you are considering such a major move, despite your current financial position, is testimony to the fact that it is not just about the money. I do concede that it will probably allow you to achieve complete financial independence earlier than if you stayed in Singapore, but by the looks of it, you are well on your way to achieving it no matter where you choose to live, just as many others how made the move despite the ability to achieve their financial goals in Singapore.

Like you, I considered purchasing real estate over there too a couple of years ago, and for whatever reason, with my limited capital, made an alternative choice, which also turned out not bad. I think there is no black or white, we all have different circumstances and over time, these circumstances change. Typically, in our mid-30s, we are just planting our feet, and some like you, in their early 40s, are already looking ahead towards achieving financial independence in advance of conventional yardsticks. Salute.

On a side note on the "intrinsic value" of Singapore property. My view is that it is a very artificial market. Levels are not set purely by free market forces. Public policy is a big driver of property prices. If PRs were not allowed to buy our public housing or the number of PRS not so voluminous, perhaps prices would be at different levels today. Also, compared to all other countries in the region, our interest rates are relatively low, and this has created extra liquidity. Rising rates will impact liquidity very quickly.

Things change, Singapore property has been volatile before, it can be volatile again. We have one very big developer (HDB) that sets prices on the bulk of the market. We have some transient investors who come in and buy stuff with the view of selling. We have ultra low interest rates. We also have a fair degree of gearing, ominous vacancy levels, and a large number of units TOPing in the near future. Intrinsic value may be different within 24 months. (Google "the perfect storm on cnbc" nice article about Singapore property).

Anyway, I digress. I think the point is, life is so much more than wealth accumulation. I believe one of the secrets to a peaceful existence is knowing how much is enough, and to be able to have a road map towards this particular destination. Once this is worked out, one must be disciplined to constantly remind oneself, not to worry about this anymore, and while you continue to make progress in this area, spend time to look at the more important things in life. Relationships with others, self development, becoming a better person, doing good for others (WuQi- it is good that you help others - don't let anyone else suggest otherwise), etc.

As we all have different needs and levels of achievement, I think at the end of the day, it all boils down to the pursuit of happiness, and to put it crudely, once the house is paid for, education for kids provided for and all basic needs are met, the new BMW/Gucci/Rolex is unlikely to be the answer.

Peace to all.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi there,

I think yours is an excellent post and fuel for thought. Not too long ago, I posted a question on whether or not financial considerations were the frontrunning reasons for "making the move".

The very fact that you are considering such a major move, despite your current financial position, is testimony to the fact that it is not just about the money. I do concede that it will probably allow you to achieve complete financial independence earlier than if you stayed in Singapore, but by the looks of it, you are well on your way to achieving it no matter where you choose to live, just as many others how made the move despite the ability to achieve their financial goals in Singapore.

Like you, I considered purchasing real estate over there too a couple of years ago, and for whatever reason, with my limited capital, made an alternative choice, which also turned out not bad. I think there is no black or white, we all have different circumstances and over time, these circumstances change. Typically, in our mid-30s, we are just planting our feet, and some like you, in their early 40s, are already looking ahead towards achieving financial independence in advance of conventional yardsticks. Salute.

On a side note on the "intrinsic value" of Singapore property. My view is that it is a very artificial market. Levels are not set purely by free market forces. Public policy is a big driver of property prices. If PRs were not allowed to buy our public housing or the number of PRS not so voluminous, perhaps prices would be at different levels today. Also, compared to all other countries in the region, our interest rates are relatively low, and this has created extra liquidity. Rising rates will impact liquidity very quickly.

Things change, Singapore property has been volatile before, it can be volatile again. We have one very big developer (HDB) that sets prices on the bulk of the market. We have some transient investors who come in and buy stuff with the view of selling. We have ultra low interest rates. We also have a fair degree of gearing, ominous vacancy levels, and a large number of units TOPing in the near future. Intrinsic value may be different within 24 months. (Google "the perfect storm on cnbc" nice article about Singapore property).

Anyway, I digress. I think the point is, life is so much more than wealth accumulation. I believe one of the secrets to a peaceful existence is knowing how much is enough, and to be able to have a road map towards this particular destination. Once this is worked out, one must be disciplined to constantly remind oneself, not to worry about this anymore, and while you continue to make progress in this area, spend time to look at the more important things in life. Relationships with others, self development, becoming a better person, doing good for others (WuQi- it is good that you help others - don't let anyone else suggest otherwise), etc.

As we all have different needs and levels of achievement, I think at the end of the day, it all boils down to the pursuit of happiness, and to put it crudely, once the house is paid for, education for kids provided for and all basic needs are met, the new BMW/Gucci/Rolex is unlikely to be the answer.

Peace to all.

I cannot say better, fully agrees with you on this. No end to comparison.

hpy090909

Alfrescian
Loyal
im getting very varied feedback regarding what time latest must reach 2nd link custom if i need to reach west coast by 8am

malaysian's working at my company tells me by 6am must reach custom ...some tell me 7am ( they come by motorcyles)

forumers tell me 630 am ...very confusing here

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shitty ! They can give citizenship to any Ah Thiongs and Ah Nehs with some fake degree and cant do something for a newly born baby , WTF ! Not possible to do DNA test if they dont belive her story ?

me thinks they ascertain a price tag on each person if there is immediate value in, if not out...

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw them selling at Ikea for abt s$25/= . Can save elec bill meh ? That thing look very crapy , still got no confident in those solar lights , haha !

For me I use a very low power 5W bulb , control via a timer , alway will on at 7.30pm off at 7am . Should be cheaper but need a bit of wiring work though.

I went to look for it at Ikea last Friday, I was out of stock. :smile:

We had completely forgotten about the pillar light while doing our renovations. So I thought it would safe us some trouble instead of embedding the wires ourselves, we get solar powered ones. Never thought of how much money we'd save, just plain lazy to cut the walls... :P

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah I also not renewing my Macs after expiry end this year, see no point to waste my passport period. Also got to spend few hours of parking at City Square and lots of walking to reach the CIQ counter to apply, although the actual time taken was about half an hour. Might as well spend one hour to write 52 cards (max trips) and save the car park and Rm30.

You are right. Thats what I am doing right now. RM30 X 4 = RM120. Thats what I am saving yearly.

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have a friend who is from NZ. In the days before MACS, he measured carefully and did a "template" of the immigration card and printed out in thick black ink all the answers for the immigration card and kept a stack in the car, which he then just needed to sign and date. It was not difficult to do and we too did that for quite a while too. Give it a try?

Was suggesting it to my hubby as well. Instead of having to pay for the Macs yearly, might as well use the rm30 to go and make a stamp. I bet it'll last you more then 1 year. :wink:

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
im getting very varied feedback regarding what time latest must reach 2nd link custom if i need to reach west coast by 8am

malaysian's working at my company tells me by 6am must reach custom ...some tell me 7am ( they come by motorcyles)

forumers tell me 630 am ...very confusing here

pls , only God will know traffic condition at customs leh ... kind of you wont know at what time it will rain today right ? They normally tell you got rain in the afternoon , what time , how long ?
After sometime , ones should be able to adjust timing to get to where you want , pretty OK .

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last week one of my friend asked about my intended daily schedules and my plans. And advised me that everything has to be planned out first. She contemplated so much that saw the opportunity in China years back but never did anything. They were working in China back then and had the full opportunity to invest in the market.

The truth is we never tried. Never rented or stayed in any hotel in JB to test out. What is there to test anyway? We just plunged in and hope that things will be ironed out as time goes by. Somehow it does. And if anything, we'd still have a house back home to turn back to.

Last time its easier for people to become rich, because they got nothing to lose anyway mah, they just take things as it comes. These days people seem to plan too much. They plan and plan. So much so that become kiasu and kiasi, where got entrepreniership? If you want changes, need to be more gangho in your approach....:biggrin:

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Cathylmg, well said.

I have commented before in the past, pardon the expression but you have more balls than most guys.

I realised we will always have detractors, people (patriots or otherwise) who still assume that the system is still working, there are checks and balances and the government is infallible with wisdom stacked way up there.

These assumptions are now all systematically proven to be false. If they did nothing wrong, why was a need for the head to apologise? I know it may be election linked but surely what is there to apologise for if nothing was wrong in the first place?

There is one plan i do agree with them, its only slowly being revealed.

When they came for the old and aged, i said i am not old nor aged
When they came for the middle aged, i said i am not middle aged
When they came for the young, i said i am no longer young
When they finally came for me, i am already in JB! :smile:

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Was suggesting it to my hubby as well. Instead of having to pay for the Macs yearly, might as well use the rm30 to go and make a stamp. I bet it'll last you more then 1 year. :wink:

Erm, ok thats a bit too much balls. I would avoid anything past the gray area boundary.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last week one of my friend asked about my intended daily schedules and my plans. And advised me that everything has to be planned out first. She contemplated so much that saw the opportunity in China years back but never did anything. They were working in China back then and had the full opportunity to invest in the market.

The truth is we never tried. Never rented or stayed in any hotel in JB to test out. What is there to test anyway? We just plunged in and hope that things will be ironed out as time goes by. Somehow it does. And if anything, we'd still have a house back home to turn back to.

Last time its easier for people to become rich, because they got nothing to lose anyway mah, they just take things as it comes. These days people seem to plan too much. They plan and plan. So much so that become kiasu and kiasi, where got entrepreniership? If you want changes, need to be more gangho in your approach....:biggrin:

Cathy: agree!

i also took the plunge almost blind and slowly ironed things out. found a temporary condo safest i can find in my price range drove in signed paid the deposit and started shifting my 2 decades of stuff from SG into JB. Figure things out using the info here as well as street sense. Looked at my spreadsheet a month later and dropped my jaws at the extra savings. now waiting to transit into my own roof soon. =) of cos life is not smooth but am pretty satisfied even though I am pretty demanding in terms of living standards.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cathylmg, well said.

I have commented before in the past, pardon the expression but you have more balls than most guys.

Lets just say, that it is good to have both husband and wife who has the same thinking at the point in time. Without these, nothing is possible.

I realised we will always have detractors, people (patriots or otherwise) who still assume that the system is still working, there are checks and balances and the government is infallible with wisdom stacked way up there.

These assumptions are now all systematically proven to be false. If they did nothing wrong, why was a need for the head to apologise? I know it may be election linked but surely what is there to apologise for if nothing was wrong in the first place?

A result from years of systematic hypnotising? Just a guess. Anyway, best leave these people alone. They will try to followup as soon as the herd mentality steps in. Like buying of shares, they are always the ones that come in at the peak. Before that, buying of share is equate to gambling. Not investments.

We make many mistakes along the way, but then we only need to make 1 correct decision to succeed. Why must I stop at a silly mistake? (Jocelyn Tay).[/QUOTE]

There is one plan i do agree with them, its only slowly being revealed.

When they came for the old and aged, i said i am not old nor aged
When they came for the middle aged, i said i am not middle aged
When they came for the young, i said i am no longer young
When they finally came for me, i am already in JB! :smile:

Agreed with you. Totally. You are a man with foresight. And the forsight have made you come out here. You'll ripe the fruits you have sowed! Sweet ones! :smile:

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Some names to share as requested, please note, no need to use any name, just say you found their name by chance:

For gardening works at HH
Best Cut Garden Grooming - Ben - +6012 6388 726 for HH property grooming

For mechanic(super reliable, your mileage may vary. They can advise where to upgrade parts, etc)
Overseas Tyre and Services - Meng - +6012 7709242
No. 2, Jalan Indah 16/11 Taman Bukit Indah, 81200 Johor Bahru, Johor

(Note to bros: Please be nice if you are using them, don't insult them with weird comments like, will you steal my parts, is it ok to leave my car here, will i return back to half a car. They have a business to run so please leave our Singaporean kiasu attitude at the customs, if you don't trust them, just don't use them, period)

For houses:Nusa Sentral - Alvin Ong - +6019 7507698
Taman Laguna - Chan Phooi Wai

For massage (clean type)
Eminent Reflexology - +607 556 8133
No.1 Jalan Bestari 12/2 Taman Nusa Bestari Skudai 81300 Johor

For aircon
Ban Huat Air Cond & Engineering (Look for Mr Loh - +607237 8303)
No. 20 Jalan Indah 1, Taman Bukit Indah, 81200 Johor Bahru, Johor

For cars
Perodua Sales
Alan Tee - +6012 762 7625

For electronics
Michael Lim - +6012 772 9499
Seng Electric Sales & Service
1 & 3 Jalan Mutiara Emas 10/19 Taman Mount Austin 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor

There is also a good one next to the Giant (ground floor) at Taman Perling (Perling Mall)

For Tim Sum and Teochew food:
Restoran Chaw Yuan
Irene Chua - +6012 779 9179
No. 1 Jalan Jati 2, Taman Nusa Bestari Jaya, 81300 Skudai, +607 512 5898

There is also a nice one in Perling as well as one near Austin Heights, very near to the Austin Paradise hotel

For Taiwan porridge (free flow of porridge) Opens until midnight
Sutera Mall, opposite the Kingston hotel. Ask for their Tang dynasty bacon and their ngo hiang and vegetables with salted fish. Even their chype poh omelette is nice

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
For blinds, bamboo type:
Bamboo Chong @ Perniagaan Lee Teck Mee
No. 155, Ban Foo N/V 81800 Ulu Tiram, Johor Bahru
Zhong Kai Wen - +6016 7935 600
+6017 7945663

For Money Changer
Superlink Money Changer Sdn Bhd
62, Jalan Indah 1 Taman Bukit Indah
+607 238 7288

For canvas awning, retractable and fixed types
Wong peng Kee +6012 752 4470
This uncle you need to negotiate a bit, a bit ex but still
cheaper than quite a few.

For 2nd hand cars
Tey Chee Wee (he likes people to call him Tey) - +6012 738 2676
60 Jalan Putra 1, Taman Tan Sri Yakob
81300 Skudai

- Try not to go in SG car plate when viewing cars.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks Cathylmg, you already know this of course but your husband has more balls than most as well.
So many thought of it, had access to it, so few did anything about it.

Its like stocks, when its at the lowest and everyone is dumping it? Thats about the best time to buy!

My main intention is not to profit, its to gain financial independance through rental yield and capital
appreciation over time. Certainly not to flip, here for the long haul and certainly not at the expense
of other Singaporeans!

This page was actually started first and foremost for those with pink IC, hence even friendly
ang mohs who came to this site, i told them to stay in Singapore as our government has already
bent over backwards and forwards just for them whilst abandoning us. They will do very well
in Singapore already with the policies in place. Don't let them bend over in vain.

Status
Not open for further replies.