• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm a 2nd generation Singaporean. My dad is Johorian. :wink:

Hi Cathy... since your dad converted to SG, then you have to follow to become a Singaporean too... anyway, easier for the child to be a Singaporean if one of the parents is a Singaporean.

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you were born in MY, there are ways from what i understand or at least have birthcert.

Come to think of it....funny hor? My dad's side grannys all came from Malaysia. Didn't make it big here. And now I am looking for ways to go back...with them waiting to laugh at me if I fail...

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Cathy... since your dad converted to SG, then you have to follow to become a Singaporean too... anyway, easier for the child to be a Singaporean if one of the parents is a Singaporean.

My dad has converted so I am second generation. Any chance of getting back?

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
100% agree with this.

Really pays to have a smart and capable wife.

I have absolutely no issues with women being in charge, in fact i much prefer someone smarter, capable or more educated than me to be my partner. Somehow i don't feel threatened. At least in SG, having a smart partner lightens ones load considerably

Malapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, Horizon Residence is NOT in Horizon Hills....

Sorry if I've created some confusion here. It's Horizon Residence indeed. Situated right beside HH. A medium density development which will house 440 units. Though it doesn't comes with the golf course, any units above level 6 facing the pool will come with a bonus view of the HH golf course. The problem is all such units have been sold.

Pretty keen in getting one facing Jusco. Discussed with my wife and she's supportive. I'm going back on Friday to look see look see again.

Last edited:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi horizonhills, read your story and I feel for you, bro. Have you spoken to your wife about this? Tell her that both of you need to save money for investmet/retirement/etc and cannot always pay for extended family's meal? Also, the fact that you're doing them more harm by "giving them a fish" instead of teaching them how to fish... how to support them for the long-term since both of you need to save for your own family.

You make my think of a long ago millionaire friend. He was rich with businesses in Singapore and New Zealand.

His relatives always come look him up for money. One day he had this realisation that if he give them fish they only live for a day, and if he teach them how to fish then they eat for life. But one thing, if he teach them his trade, he will go out of business.

Soon he came up with this idea, those relatives who always pester him for money, he meet them at Belaire. :biggrin: Make them attend talk and make them signup under him. If they want money, best go and do sales for themselves. Also make money for him by signing people up under his line. MLM business. :biggrin:

Successful people always think differently. In this case, instead of lend money to his relatives, he made them work for him for free. :biggrin: Kowtow to him! :biggrin:

Last edited:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah i guess ur very young.

I thought wuqi was young at 34 cause juz married mah.

Ur younger.

Wishin u a blissful married life:smile:

bro wuqi, I feel for you... For me, i like my wife to be independent and know how to do stuff. My fear is that I may not be always there for her, therefore she needs to be able to fend for herself. Of ourse it's nice to be the man; but I've learned to be prepared for anything and I'm the one panning for our future. Since we got married 2 years ago, I've been sharing a lot of stuff with her and influencing her to my way of thinking... and it seems to be working... hope you can find some "peace" with your wife and not feel so sad since a marriage is for life and we definitely want to be happy.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
My dad has converted so I am second generation. Any chance of getting back?

I'm not too sure, but I doubt that is possible... I know 2 ex-colleagues who have worked in MY for more than 10 years, both with families; one is from India and one more from Phillipines. Both of them couldn't even get PR. Finally, thru some connections, the India one finally got the PR in Malaysia. Not too sure about the Filipino one.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hv hardly any contact with my wifes family.

So she is 100% mine

my sister in houston.

my cousins n relatives in australia, canada, usa, uk, germany, dubai, india etc

no one in spore or malaysia

Yap. Most of the time I think parents don't mind, its just the brother's and sisters and relatives' constant reminders that makes the couple's life difficult.....

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey everyone, I've finally managed to keep up with all the postings... so much stuff to read.

I've read a lot of opinions about the pros and cons and Malaysians, and I feel there are a lot of generalization being done here. There are 28 million people in Msia, with 60%+ Malays, followed by Chinese, Indians and natives. There are 13 states and 2 Federal Territories, with our East Malaysians being culturally different from the West Malaysians. The places where the Malaysians grow up all contribute to their upbringing, with comparisons done between small town people and city folk. Depending on the background of the Malaysians that you meet; some will be nice, humble and down-to-earth people... whereas others might be arrogant and proud, etc. Please don't generalize so much since there are too many factors contributing to a person's upbringing.

Even with Singapore being the size it is, it wouldn't be fair for me to say those staying in Hougang are nicer (my aunt and cousins grew up in Hougang) than those staing in Tampines or Punggol. I've met a lot of Singaporeans now that I worked in SG and also 15 years ago when I came to Sg to work for 4 months after my STPM. They have all been very nice people, although I have met some idiots before.

If anything, I would generalize a difference between the older generation and the youngsters nowadays, both in SG and MY. The younger generation mostly prefer not to work hard; want high salary and short working hours and will not be willing to go the extra mile for the company, regardless of male or female. They are the ones who grew up with parents who worked hard and sacrificed a lot so that they could have a better life.

Ps. counting down the months to my move to Nusajaya in October 2011.

hear hear!! Cheers to the growing family of us here in JB. =)

Last edited:

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry if I've created some confusion here. It's Horizon Residence indeed. Situated right beside HH. A medium density development which will house 440 units. Though it doesn't comes with the golf course, any units above level 6 facing the pool will come with a bonus view of the HH golf course. The problem is all such units have been sold.

Pretty keen in getting one facing Jusco. Discussed with my wife and she's supportive. I'm going back on Friday to look see look see again.

have you considered HH's fairway suites and setia's sky gardens in the immediate vicinity? mentioned by wuqi earlier there are some considerations when it comes to access for this project. imho, the developer also have not had an iconic development to prove themselves (i may yet be wrong). not dissuading but pointing you to a few so that you can see what fits and then make your final informed decision. i know the current situation is like morning market with projects being booked left right center but you do have options to consider not just that. if your final decision is HR at least you can happily say you've surveyed all on offer. =)

Last edited:

Malapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi
If you are looking for condo in JB city, do check out KSL City (D'esplanade) too. About 5 mins drive from the custom. More expensive, but better quality (you have to decide for yourself). If Spore's MRT goes to JB (and if it's near causeway CIQ), then travel to and from Spore will be very convenient. ..

Thanks. KSL city was within my scope earlier but left out eventually. My sole purpose of getting a place in JB is to find a peaceful, serene, away from city living lifestyle as I plan to have my first child 2 years later. I would relocate my mum n wife to JB for the initial 3-5 years when my baby is born. I hope to give them a stress free environment coupled with some greeneries and humble living. Escalating cost, kiasuism and arrogance of people in Singapore is taking a toll on us.

I was at a fine dining place 2 weeks back with my wife. It's suppose to be a delicate and classy settings when suddenly a child (5yrs old max) sprung from nowhere waving and yelling at the top of his voice trying to catch attention of the waiter. When the waiter approach, the kid just commanded "Get me a coke!". The best part is that the parent just let him be and continued their wine tasting. From their singlish, attire and attitude, it's not difficult distinguishing them as typical Singaporean. Gosh! Is that how a child should behave?

Me and my wife are 100% Singaporean.

Malapore

Alfrescian
Loyal
have you considered HH's fairway suites and setia's sky gardens in the immediate vicinity?

Oh yes! I'm going to take a look this Friday. Fairway suite sounds good. Setia' sky too close proximity to malls. Can be very noisy at times especially cars revving in n out.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi I have tried talking things out with my wife but she will quarrel endlessly and say that I am sowing discord. She asked what problems do I have when she treats her brother and sister with makan?

I say no problem but now at age 20-28, they have been shaking leg at home for the past 5 years.. u think thats ok? Therefore this is one of the main reason why I am moving back to SG after I have settled all my units rental in Nusajaya.. at least I can still stay in Spore and enjoy rental returns from Iskandar. hehe

aiyoh must ask her to do the sums. you have to support your own children right? now need to support another 2 big 'children'??

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi I have tried talking things out with my wife but she will quarrel endlessly and say that I am sowing discord. She asked what problems do I have when she treats her brother and sister with makan?

I say no problem but now at age 20-28, they have been shaking leg at home for the past 5 years.. u think thats ok? Therefore this is one of the main reason why I am moving back to SG after I have settled all my units rental in Nusajaya.. at least I can still stay in Spore and enjoy rental returns from Iskandar. hehe

Is she working? Does she has income of her own? If yes, then you can give her a budget monthly that include her expenses and her family expenses, and ask her to top up the rest from her own pocket. Then see if things improve. :wink:

On the sibblings not willing to work part, you really can't do anything since their parent also can't get them to go to work. Best leave it for the time being lest it sow discord between husband and wife.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. KSL city was within my scope earlier but left out eventually. My sole purpose of getting a place in JB is to find a peaceful, serene, away from city living lifestyle as I plan to have my first child 2 years later. I would relocate my mum n wife to JB for the initial 3-5 years when my baby is born. I hope to give them a stress free environment coupled with some greeneries and humble living. Escalating cost, kiasuism and arrogance of people in Singapore is taking a toll on us.

I was at a fine dining place 2 weeks back with my wife. It's suppose to be a delicate and classy settings when suddenly a child (5yrs old max) sprung from nowhere waving and yelling at the top of his voice trying to catch attention of the waiter. When the waiter approach, the kid just commanded "Get me a coke!". The best part is that the parent just let him be and continued their wine tasting. From their singlish, attire and attitude, it's not difficult distinguishing them as typical Singaporean. Gosh! Is that how a child should behave?

Me and my wife are 100% Singaporean.

that is disgusting! grrr bad manners have no place in a civilized society unless the child and their responsible parents should claim they're from the line of barbarians/neanderthals.

oh btw are you aware you need to purchase a property >RM$500k as a foreigner? That will limit quite a fair bit of your options if you're looking at condos/apartments. how bout landed? i think there are still a sprinkling of properties in the area at this pricing region. Also tag an additional ~RM$11k foreign levy plus the miscellaneous fees to the asking price. hope u will find your dream home in time to come!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.