• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huat Ah to all.

Strong fundamentals are a must be it for a Company.

So focus on good stocks with strong fundamentals.

Yes for the medium to long term stocks give you the best returns!

Key points to remember:
1) No guesswork
2) No following peoples advice
3) Buy into a business you understand and believe

China is still a great place to invest and will remain a great place to invest for a long time to come.:smile::smile:

Bro,
Good for you, my stock picks are far from accurate & still had 1 china stock under suspension.
Made me learn the importance of picking right stocks with proper corporate governance..

However I am sticking with stock over the mid/long term..

To all investors, regardless of the instruments.. huat ah!

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah disposing ETFs is similar to disposing stocks.

Its safer than stocks surely and low on expenses compared to UT/MF

ETF are low expense ratio funds as contrast to Unit Trust/Mutual Trust..
Whether faster to dispose depends on volume being traded.. similar to common stocks in sgx..

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. Hence i told my kids that they have to work for their own homes and cars.

A good education is all that I can provide

Possibly a memorable childhood too.:smile:

That's true.. however the caution is that the children shd not be brought up with the idea that all is being provided for them, leading to complacency..
Else they may turn up to be bummers.. relying on parents.. (Reminds me of George in Seinfeld)

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nicely written and explained. You stay at LF too?

Nope, i was looking at Bayou Creek at LF which is not strata-titled... the Sales called me up inform about the soft-launch so i conveniently asked them about this 20% increase in maintenance charge, to which she conveniently replied strata-titled are more ex compared to individual-titled. She further claimed they have kept the costs there for 5 years, hence the need to increase... disclaimer: i have not verified her statement

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
I deal with many computer related people. More than 10 years back, I see repairmen from Singapore for computer and printer repair, now I hardly see them except for high end hardware. I usually see PRC and Indian . Now even cablemen are not the usual Singaporean/M'sia, I see Pinoy foremen, PRC and Indian. This is why I have lesser faith for fellow countrymen going into this trade.

I remember there was a time when govt were asking retrench people over 35+ to go for computer repairs course and many did not get a job in those line eventually. Are they not good enough or are there more young men that can do it better at lower price ?

If parents are wealthy, they can afford to let kids try out career that fit them nicely but for those who are not, job security would be 1st priority. Unfortunately, I belong to second category ! When I asked my son what he would like to be ? He said to be pay playing computer game everyday and he will truely be happy. I am dumbfounded. I have yet to find any such job for youngster today. Professional gamers , does it pay enough to pay bills ?

I have lost faith in PAP system ... look at what people say :-

http://moolahoooh.blogspot.com/2011/03/fake-talents-in-singapore.html

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/03/05/proof-of-mom-being-hoodwinked-by-fts-fake-degrees/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Singapore

Why push our children so hard to get a place in NUS /NTI or oversea top uni when our gov simply can accept any fake talent from all over the world ? These FTs pay 5K to 7K ? True or not ?
Our local grad from NTU / NUS cant event get 2.5K ..

Last edited:

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you. Hence i told my kids that they have to work for their own homes and cars.

A good education is all that I can provide

Possibly a memorable childhood too.:smile:

Same view here. No promise of house or wealth from the old man/dame. We provide them with every opportunity to accumulate knowledge within our mean. If we do decided and able to leave something for them, that would be bonus. For me , inheritance is a privilege not an entitlement.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nicely said.

I planned my life without expecting anything from my parents.

Whatever i got from my parents is and will remain a bonus. Ofcourse grateful to my parents.

Same view here. No promise of house or wealth from the old man/dame. We provide them with every opportunity to accumulate knowledge within our mean. If we do decided and able to leave something for them, that would be bonus. For me , inheritance is a privilege not an entitlement.

Last edited:

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
We may not rejoin Malaysia (out of selfish interests ofcourse of the powers that be!) but surely there will be greater cooperation between the 2 neighbours out of mutual benefit. In one word SYMBIOSIS. I believe NJ will succeed although the gestation period may not be to our liking!
Hey AP and flens, it occurred to me a short while back and this seems confirmed after reading this and the other post about whatgoeson in Singapore, that there are many rightful advantages and perks available to us, even though we have chosen to spend most of our time in Johor. With this in mind, there are free cancer screenings for women etc. Then there is useful information on what needs to be done [e.g. if you did not vote and wish to be reinstated on the Electoral Rolls] and even sales and special offers.
With this in mind, I have added such to my weblog that was originally meant to inform those who have come here about Johor, info that keeps Singaporeans informed of the good stuff that becomes available in Singapore.
What do you think?
If you think so too, please feed me stuff to share with those of us who are here so we might be able to enjoy or take advantage of what is ours too?
Thanks! Drop a quick note to [email protected]

Chillout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi wuqi or anyone can advise what is the estate duty like in JB? Like how much they'll deduct when one passes away in JB and the house is given to someone as inheritance... Do they recognise a will made in Singapore?

From discussion with my M'sia lawyer with regards to our estate, estate duty was also abolished and the will from Singapore will be recognised. This is very important for us.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Im surprised Digi has not improved their signal in the HH area.

HH area and NJ are sought after areas.

Digi should ramp up coverage n signal strength in the area.

Helps me as well when i use second link

Last edited:

Chillout

Alfrescian
Loyal
haha yeah forgot about this...one bill can wipe out all savings...

The irony is as long as we are working, we don't need to use/activate Medishield as we have our company's insurance to cover us. However, once we retire at 65, the Medishield stops coverage too. So in another word, we are paying for something we won't need as long as we are working and when you need it the most, we don't have it unlike civil servants and family are covered till death. This is so unfair.

Chillout

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's true.. however the caution is that the children shd not be brought up with the idea that all is being provided for them, leading to complacency..
Else they may turn up to be bummers.. relying on parents.. (Reminds me of George in Seinfeld)

Totally agree with you on this. Always told my kids that we will provide them with all the education they want and nothing else, No need for them to repay us with monthly allowance in future (don't want to burden them) and the best they can do for their parents is to live a life where their parents don't have to worry.

Whatever gifts we are planning, we don't want them to know.

Seen a few rich kids growing up not driven with the mentality of 'extending their hands out' when they go out even though they are already working or not at all. Sitting around waiting for inheritance. So sad.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huat Ah to all.

Strong fundamentals are a must be it for a Company.

So focus on good stocks with strong fundamentals.

Yes for the medium to long term stocks give you the best returns!

Key points to remember:
1) No guesswork
2) No following peoples advice
3) Buy into a business you understand and believe

China is still a great place to invest and will remain a great place to invest for a long time to come.:smile::smile:

Rental property is still the best investment instrument. Think of it. You can buy a $200k property with just $40k cash. Then collect money from rent to pay for loan and eventually get the full $200k back. Not taking into considerations of capital appreciation. Neat huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.