• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
aangsc - Thank you for the infor about the location of the Michellin tyre shops.

Wow!!! guys very aggressive response. Air guns/Nail Guns NOT a good idea. Yes it is for self - defence BUT better not to let there be any misnterpretation to be used against the user!! Baseball/metal bats better alternative. IMHO would be viewed less likely as an 'aggressive' weapon...... ;-)

Alarms sound like a more practical solution....

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal
All properties at East Ledang are installed with Chubb Security system and once the system is armed it will automatically track status of all the doors, windows and even movements inside the house. In case if any alarm it will not only make a loud noise through its own sound system but will also send message to the call center so that Security guards / Police can be alerted. That should help to protect from such straightforward cases of breaking in.

You mean HH do not have centralised alarm ?

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
No idea. I can only say about EL as I live here.

Hi rw6akr

I was at one of the show bungalows at Melody Park yesterday when I was caught in a thunderstorm. The rain was coming down like at 180 degrees, and it was really raining cats and dogs. I was very shocked when 5 minutes later, I began to see rain water seeping through all the windows and even the main doors. I am now worried for my lowly terrace unit when they can even allow the bungalows to be built like that. I suppose the developer will fix such defects, but still, can't help feeling disappointed that they will not take more care with the bungalows. My wife was terrified at the thought of how the terrace will be built. BTW, did your unit experience any rain seepage during yesterday afternoon's huge downpour? I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. :(

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00139-20110405-1701-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00137-20110405-1701.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00136-20110405-1700.jpg

whiteoak

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's one of the reason why I purchased a Link Terrace in HH, instead of a semi D. As its a weekend home for me, my intention is to guard the front and the back, but of course with the motion sensor around the stairway is the secondary detection.

I am also looking at installing motion sensors at the front porch, and the back yard entrance, that should illuminate any intruder, as a warning .....

rw6akr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was at one of the show bungalows at Melody Park yesterday when I was caught in a thunderstorm. The rain was coming down like at 180 degrees, and it was really raining cats and dogs. I was very shocked when 5 minutes later, I began to see rain water seeping through all the windows and even the main doors. I am now worried for my lowly terrace unit when they can even allow the bungalows to be built like that. I suppose the developer will fix such defects, but still, can't help feeling disappointed that they will not take more care with the bungalows. My wife was terrified at the thought of how the terrace will be built. BTW, did your unit experience any rain seepage during yesterday afternoon's huge downpour? I hope this is the exception rather than the rule. :(

Few properties had similar problem after the handover. However, it was promptly resolved once reported to the Customer Services Department and there were no problems since. I have also had few other small issues and have to admit that they were quite prompt and helpful in resolving those.

It was quite unlucky for my unit yesterday as few roof tiles were blown away by wind / rain and fall down. I have submitted a warranty claim and hope to have it repaired once the rain stop.

The only negative observation about their customer services so far is that they don't provide a report of actions taken and only send a generic confirmation once job is done. In case if they think that some items are not subject for a warranty repair/replacement they would just ignore it without any formal explanation in B&W.

At the same time, I had a major leakage in one of the bathrooms and water leaked through the walls and the ceiling of the back yard. It caused two problems:
1. The remote control of the ceiling fan became faulty and I was offered to claim back actual repair costs once done.
2. There were some stains there and they have just arranged a ceiling to be repainted once reported.

So, it is not a perfect service but I find it quite satisfactory.

Last edited:

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is better to have a chance to protect yourself. Especially in a country where you don't expect prompt and professional service of its Police Force. Somehow, even if those items are illegal but criminals would have those anyway and normal people don't even have a chance...

In Singapore it might be less important as crime level is comparable low but in Malaysia it would have made me more confident in personal security. Otherwise, only an aluminum baseball bat from Mustafa shopping center is an option.

Learn Wing Chun good for small build man/woman. Leverage on joints or only elbow to tilt or push opponent. But it will take awhile at least 6 months a year.

Wing Chun Singapore

Cheers

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi rw6akr

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00139-20110405-1701-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00137-20110405-1701.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/dannyhgt/IMG00136-20110405-1700.jpg

Nice switch. Did u used led switch?

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Add motion detectors as a triple layer security on top of good locks as first measure, then followed by the usual alarm system.

Always make your room ( and kids ) a safe room with dead bolts. As long as you delay their entry, you can save your family
Replace the cheap door with flame retardant doors.( I plan to also get some fire extinguisher as well)

There's no full proof but there should be some basic measure to protect ourselves. I take extra effort to know all my neighbors and look out for each other. Me paranoid, maybe but I prefer to call it survival skills

Anyone up for Wing Chun Practise at SGP Mon - Thurs evening at 7pm or Sat / Sun.

It does not block guns, does not stop bullet. But it will give you an edge to defend and run. Block hit and run. Just google Wing Chun Singapore, My sifu Master Chua.

Y the promotion, errhhh just wish to network with neighbours at HH, gateway.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro i still think a grill is the best solution anything else would be compromising on ones safety.

If however you are living in HH where safety at the moment is top notch then you may not wanna consider it.

But if you are living anywhere else i think grilles are a must.

Glass can be broken. But grilles give you considerable time to react.

A combo of tempered glass plus security film plus grilles would be great.

I have security film cum grilles.

Din bother with the tempered glass.

Maybe you can try Llumar. Obviously the idea is not to stop a break in totally, but given that the thief will have to smash the glass several times to break the glass by then home occupants would have been alerted. I have been thinking about this approach :smile:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before i am accused of plagiarism let me start of by saying that i found this on another website and i thought it would benefit first time home buyers and hence i am reposting it here

Quote """"""Here's my rundown after I've been comparing and surveying/discussing the different house-security measures to be installed in my new house:

GRILLES:
Acts as a simple first line passive "Defence" which doesn't require power/eletricity/tel.cable etc. to be effective unlike CCTV and Alarm which when there's no power/telephone cut/battery dead they will be useless;
To deter would-be burglars and unprepared opportunist/inexperienced thieves who just want to easily/quickly climb thru windows/door without too much work/hassle.
Pros (eg.from construction industry) on the other hand know how to deal with grilles and make short work of it(except maybe rough/solid steel). ANY grille can eventually be cut/sawn (just like car steering/gear locks). It's just a matter of time and burglar's determination depending on material and hardness before being detected. If got the whole night and making no/low noise, even the best grille can be cut by a(or several!) professional/s; At least it buys time to get alerted and get help/respond;
+ Aluminium grille: The softest of all metal grilles, this light metal can be cut in no time; Maintenance: No need to paint; Looks nicer than it can protect; Not recommended for anti-burglar unless got very good alarm;
+ Iron grille: One of the cheapest and most common; hollow grille (not solid), can be eventually cut/sawn; simple designs. Usually come in 0.8mm(4 point), 1mm(5 point) and 1.2mm(6 point) thickness of the actual iron, not the external width/breadth of the grille. "4 point"(direct translated from Chinese, not sure what's it called in English) usually used for flats/condos; "5 point" usually for landed houses; "6 point" usually for restauarants/shops.
Maintenance: Need to paint every couple of years or so otherwise it rusts.
+ Wrough Iron: Solid grille(not hollow), they're thinner than hollow ones, additional ornamental value/designs(eg.antique look). MAY take slightly longer to cut/saw(please correct if I'm wrong) due to solid metal (but externally is thinner than hollow iron grilles).
Maintenance: Needs to be pro-painted every 8-10 years (4 layer coating). No need to paint yourself.
+ Stainless Steel: Estimated to be 3 to 4 times stronger (and therefore longer to cut/saw) than iron. Very expensive also(unless money no problem); Hollow inside; Looks more class(depending on taste;personally I think it looks better on large/huge villas/bungalows than a 1-storey 18x50 house).
Maintenance: No need to paint; No rusting;
+ (Rough)Steel(those use for concrete footing/pillar/slabs): I believe it's the toughest of all above since it's steel AND solid. However, looks rough on outside(not nice to look at unless you don't mind) therefore seldom seen(except perhaps police lock-up?). Seen in a storeroom window of a petrol station in Damansara.
Maintenance: Needs paint(due to rust);
+ Gate height: The higher, the less easy to jump over or climb in;
+ Grille "Spikes"/pointed grille tips: The more pointed grille tips on wall grilles/gates, the more he think of simply jumping over; I swear I saw a house with large barbed wire(those used during war/by the army as quick perimeter fencing) at the back of the corner house land! Flat, square gates and grilles(on the fence wall, not the windows) are very easy/safe to climb/jump over; I've seen last time house with exterior walls top cemented with broken glass bottle pieces (very effective and sharp! but ayo, so ugly looking and out-of-date ler...).

ALARM:
Supposed to wake up the crap out of you(or others if you're not around!) and/or scare would-be burglars away. Fact: If your system not constantly triggers false alarm(due to owner or technical), your neighbours either always thinks it's false alarm or if not, they won't bother anyway. Unless, you're connected to the police station(is that possible?) or a private emergency control centre(those security companies) who may send a security patrol to your house to check(check with your alarm vendor). Otherwise, they'll just come during tropical heavy thunder/rainstorm in the night where nobody will be able to hear and see your alarm siren and strobe light!(happened to my friends house before). So there goes your 3k alarm system. However, what is interesting is now alarm comes with 4 or 8 predialled numbers, so if any sensor is triggered, up to 4 phones will be called automatically to alert of an intruder.
- The alarm and sensors wiring have to be done in the house upfront (the location of the main board must be fixed). If the installer knows the location and leaks out that info to 3rd parties somehow, they will know exactly where to locate it and disable it (not so flexible where I can just hide it anywhere and anytime, like wireless).
- If the alarm is visibly installed outside the house(the box with the light on top), it can(what most people are made to believe) deter thieves or tell them exactly what alarm they're up against with so they can study how it works and then come full prepared(to disable/by-pass it).
- Cut phone line, eletricity then alarm won't work (even battery won't last long).

CCTV:
I agree, it's to capture burglars "face" (provided he don't wear mask!) etc. to pass the info/tape to police. By then, it's already too late (house already ransacked/broken into).
Here, more commonly to monitor your maid (ie.indoor cameras) rather than burglars. Although, front porch and back door camera (outdoors) will be good idea as that's where it seems the favourite spots. At least if your new car stolen within autogate, you may record how they did it and MAYBE catch their plate number! (If camera is really good).
Again, this is after everything happened, not prevent (maybe deter, but not prevent/hinder) burglars.
CCTV can be set/programmed to record upon motion (ie.motion sensor) automatically. CCTV runs 24h (w/o recording). Recording happens upon motion sensor (eg.persons/objects passing in front of camera view).
Need to know how to operate PC.
Again, no power and no battery, no CCTV.
They claim to be able to be remotely operatable via H/P or even internet (I suppose need to enter password and IP address of your PC) but if someone cracks the code, heck they can see inside/outside my house! Not to mention, can disable my CCVT etc.! hm....make sure get from reliable established CCTV company and not some Ah Beng contractor...

GLASS:
- Normal: One brick and the glass is shattered all over the floor. Burglar walks in and out freely and quickly before anyone can do anything.
- Tempered: harder/stronger than normal glass(especially if area is smaller!), more for safety than security purposes; Takes slightly longer/bigger to break I suppose?
- Tinted: will keep whole glass in place after shattered, takes more time from burglar which may be crucial to get alerted/response time to escape/call for help;
- Tempered & Tinted: Wow, wouldn't this be the best type?

BIG BIG DOG:
If got ppl inside house all day, fine. Need to take care of dog, don't just treat it as cheapo alarm(how would you like to be treated that's how you should treat a dog).
Dog's "sensors" usually quite good/sharp (not sure how true/successful is the so called throw-a-poison/drugged-sausage trick...if anyone knows/experienced please post) due to very good sense of smell and hearing. Besides, most thieves scared of big dogs;
Since my parents had a big dog in the garden, I noticed significant drop in backlane activities....really noone loitering around in the middle of night 'cos he really barks! But please don't get those fierce fierce/aggressive ones that also attack innocents!

ALTERNATIVES:[/
- I believe best protection/security if when thief/burglar doesn't know what and where your security system is;
Reason: They'll have to spend more time to find and disable your system and then they may not have brought the right tools and knowledge with them the first time 'cos there are many different systems around(so need to come a 2nd time whereby then you are already alerted/can prepare or "reconfigure" or relocate your security system or install additional cameras etc.);
Another reason for "hidden", secret or low-profile security is that if the thieves see the house is so impregnable or loaded with high-tech stuff, he may think there's lots of valuables inside (then they'll rope in the pro's and share the loot) and/or they'll just mug you outside when leaving home or coming back (which could be worse!).
This is one of the reasons I'm not too keen installing stainless steel gates and grilles and back door (stainless steel backdoor starting from RM2.3k is I believe actually quite strong/effective against break-in) 'cos they're very high visibility(think of shining sun reflecting off the "chromed" steel, it's like calling "rob-me! rob-me!") !
- Fool/confuse them with a combination of fake systems (highly visible) and real systems (hidden, not visible to them).
I heard many ppl claim to show off your CHUBB etc. alarm system outside your house, flash all your stainless steel doors and grilles and prominently display your CCTVs will deter them and they will choose an "easier" target. If you remember Sun Tzu's Art Of War (and to me this IS war in a way!haha ), never show your true capability and strength; Always bluff them with lots of power and strength whereby there isn't;
- Night lights(porch and back door): I believe thieves don't like bright lit areas. So, should be a cheap and effective deterrent (of course, taking it one step further or if very determined pro, they can always break the lights, cut the wires etc. like SWAT/commando style....hehe. We just base on common, opportunist burglars who learned a thing or two from construction industry which I think should cover the profile of majority burglars -pls.correct me if I'm wrong).
- Hide your house keys at night: Ever wondered how come your car suddenly disappeared which is "secured" perfectly behind your auto-gate? When going to sleep, relocate/remove your house keys (if you normally put them near the main door) to a totally different area that only your family knows.
- Keep a small pet (eg.dog) inside the house at night, so that any intruder will be detected(the pet dog will start making noise).

Fakes:
- CCTV "Camera" look-alike that rotates by motion sensor. No actual working camera; (RM20)
- Hide your real camera in opposite place/direction, maybe next to similar looking items outside so that it's not so outstanding (near to hanging plants/pots or use camo netting if you want!)
- Black empty CCTV dome(deterrant and dummy to distract from real camera located totally elsewhere);
- Fake "CHUBB" etc. alarm box: Look for similar sized metal box and install outside house. Add fake(or real but not connected) strobe light(available in car accessories shops/dept).
If you really got alarm, don't install the box outside to see, instead maybe install the strobe light only on top roof (not easily visible from ground but at night will be very visible even on roof top) and install the box inside the house (sound/siren travels thru walls!).
- Modify/change the alarm name, eg.if box is printed "CHUBB", stick different name over it, eg. COBRA etc. and vice versa.
- Get wireless CCTV instead of wired so you can place them and the (also wireless) receiver anywhere, anytime so noone knows their exact locations.""""""""" Unquote

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our house hunting trips brought us everywhere didnt it?

I started with Horizon Hills on the recommendation of a very good friend of mine who used to golf there regularly. He told me that he was very much impressed by the HH developments.

And then i moved on checking out quite a number of developments.

I even checked out Kempas Utama. But somehow Kempas Utama does not feel right to me. I dunno why.

Yeah I found house hunting very interesting, different house and neighbourhood brings diferent feel.

Coincidentally Kempas Utama was the first development I visited after seeing an advert. The finishing is quite okay actually except the exterior colours for the type available are quite gaudy.

Status
Not open for further replies.