SG Live Bet WPL Bet 88
SG Tipster
Page 13 of 763 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 260 of 15241

Thread: Living in JB

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,379
    My Reputation Points: 100101 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    I seriously hope that you are right since they just raised the interest rates effectively by asking banks to lower their discounts for the BLR.

    I was thinking of getting another place but the banks interest rates plus the cutoff date was the main showstopper for me. A gent from my company who just got a property recently, he could not get as high a loan as me despite us being in the same pay scale and he got a higher interest rate(-1.8%)

    Thanks for the insight, i will try.

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    From Bt Indah Interchange, is there any form of public transport to Horizon Hills ? Any shuttle bus service run by HH Golf Country Club or HH developer ?

    How come Mont Calista does not have a website of its own ?

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SEA
    Posts
    278
    My Reputation Points: 62 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Truth be told, having your own car is a necessity in M'sia. Their public transportation is still very much inadequate. Mont Calista website? Probably you'll get better results if you know who is the developer.

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,379
    My Reputation Points: 100101 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    The Bukit Indah site is about 1 minute to 2 minutes by car from HH, you can catch a quick cab by walking to the Jusco and taking a quick cab to HH.

    I can't find Mont Calista's site but you can do a google, there are some pictures but some of the site prices are a bit high so you can actually contact the developer directly.

    http://www.iproperty.com.my/developments/1580/Mont

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,379
    My Reputation Points: 100101 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Toyohon is right, you will be better off with your own transport. There are folks though i know who takes the CW3 daily from Jurong East MRT station, gets down at Bukit Indah and either drive their parked car(parked very closely) or take a short walk and catch a cab.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by toyohon View Post
    Truth be told, having your own car is a necessity in M'sia. Their public transportation is still very much inadequate. Mont Calista website? Probably you'll get better results if you know who is the developer.
    Thank you for the clue.

    For the benefit of the rest:


    http://www.kulai.pjdcommunity.com.my

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Toyohon is right, you will be better off with your own transport. There are folks though i know who takes the CW3 daily from Jurong East MRT station, gets down at Bukit Indah and either drive their parked car(parked very closely) or take a short walk and catch a cab.
    Of course I know it's better to have a car. But that was not my question.

    So it's within walking distance from Bukit Indah ?

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    711
    My Reputation Points: 139 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Living in JB

    possible for singaporean without driving license to take up malaysia one other than conversion?

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    30m from the CP's home
    Posts
    268
    My Reputation Points: 80 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Whats4 View Post
    possible for singaporean without driving license to take up malaysia one other than conversion?
    Mudland driving test centres still retain application by "kopi testing"...... i think the market rate is now RM$3K in states like malacca, negeri sembilan

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Is it a good idea to just own a car in Malaysia and forget all about buying Singapore registered cars ?

    Despite all the savings to be gained from living in JB, buying a Sg registered car will mean a few steps backwards.

    Or would be it foolish to park your Malaysia registered car at Bt Indah Interchange and travel to Sg by yellow bus ?

    Anyway, cars in Malaysia are not cheap either.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    711
    My Reputation Points: 139 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Living in JB

    anyone knows about property tax?

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4
    My Reputation Points: 25 / Power: 0

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Generally, housing may differ based on whether they are corner or end lots depending on the type of property you buy. You might pay up to 100 or 200k more for a larger garden. Some folks bought clusters here with huge gardens and expanded their house using it with 3-4 more rooms.

    Again, banks here has upped their rates so try to bargain or shop around.

    ATM machines will charge you 1 ringgit for withdrawals made using other banks cards. You can even withdraw from your POSB or other bank accounts.

    Internet here is free for many food and beverage areas. You can get Celcom or other services for as low as about 60 ringgit per month. Phone lines with prepaid services are like below 9 ringgit.

    Non MY folks can only buy property above 250k ringgit and at least 2 storeys
    Resale ones will need to be above 350k ringgit

    From 2010 onwards, minimum will be 500k as some of you will know by now.
    Has the 500K rule been implemented? Do you have the news link?

    Another area that can be considered is Bandar Putra Kulai http://www.bandarputra.com.my/ . Semi-Detached are available from 350K, Bungalow from 500K & Terace 250K if you want a quieter area.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by amsyl View Post

    Another area that can be considered is Bandar Putra Kulai http://www.bandarputra.com.my/ . Semi-Detached are available from 350K, Bungalow from 500K & Terace 250K if you want a quieter area.
    That appears pretty far from Singapore.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    SEA
    Posts
    278
    My Reputation Points: 62 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Properties located beyond 20km radius from JB city are generally cheaper. These areas are not as "developed" as those located nearer to the city centre.

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,379
    My Reputation Points: 100101 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Hi Queen, the location though very near by car to the Bukit Indah interchange is still a 15-20 minutes walk to reach the main gates.

    Although it is doable as i have seen some do it or cycle, its best to take a cheap cab from Jusco. Alternatively, you can get a cheap 2nd hand car and just park it at the area(parking is free!) Lots of people do it, parking their cars at bus stations and choosing cheap cars to do it.

    Cars are much cheaper there, you can get a 2nd hand Perodua for 5000-6000 ringgit, something new like an MPV for 60,000 plus ringgit and insurance is comparable to SG, roadtax will bring a bright smile to your face. I don't even want to talk about the price of fuel.

  16. #256
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,379
    My Reputation Points: 100101 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Seok Duk View Post
    Is it a good idea to just own a car in Malaysia and forget all about buying Singapore registered cars ?

    Despite all the savings to be gained from living in JB, buying a Sg registered car will mean a few steps backwards.

    Or would be it foolish to park your Malaysia registered car at Bt Indah Interchange and travel to Sg by yellow bus ?

    Anyway, cars in Malaysia are not cheap either.
    Hi Queen, you can look at even an OPC one for Malaysia if you are able to cater for the odd hours since OPC gives you the flexibility of going in and out of SG easily. The option of parking the MY car at the interchange is currently done by many.

    Cars are definitely cheap if you don't mind 2nd hand or buy something from Toyota or Perodua.

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Hi Wuqi,

    Thanks for the information.

    So I would really have to get a cheap Malaysian car in order to 'dissuade' any potential carjackers from removing my car from Bt Indah Interchange, I guess.

    If a new Toyota Altis costs 65K SGD in Sg, how much would a similar one in Malaysia cost ?

  18. #258
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    408
    My Reputation Points: 143 / Power: 6

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Seok Duk View Post
    If a new Toyota Altis costs 65K SGD in Sg, how much would a similar one in Malaysia cost ?
    My aunty's 2005 model bought 2nd hand from a segamat motor workshop costs her RM$12,000.00 only. It was an accident vehicle but the condition is still good as there was no major or structural damage. The workshop did an excellent job on the repairs

  19. #259
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North by North West of Singapore
    Posts
    6,379
    My Reputation Points: 100101 / Power: 206

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Seok Duk View Post
    Hi Wuqi,

    Thanks for the information.

    So I would really have to get a cheap Malaysian car in order to 'dissuade' any potential carjackers from removing my car from Bt Indah Interchange, I guess.

    If a new Toyota Altis costs 65K SGD in Sg, how much would a similar one in Malaysia cost ?
    Its funny, if you really want a cheap car, an Altis is already higher than say other options like Vios for example. I know a small Toyota MPV like the Avanza would cost just about 60k plus and thats in Ringgit. I am sure it would cost 80-100k ringgit at most which is still cheaper than SG especially as the car you buy is yours without needing COE, etc.

    Most people just park cars which are dirt cheap there, below 40k ringgit in value. There are lots of options around once we remove our blinkers and look for ourselves that is.

  20. #260
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,006
    My Reputation Points: 462 / Power: 5

    Default Re: Living in JB

    Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    Its funny, if you really want a cheap car, an Altis is already higher than say other options like Vios for example. I know a small Toyota MPV like the Avanza would cost just about 60k plus and thats in Ringgit. I am sure it would cost 80-100k ringgit at most which is still cheaper than SG especially as the car you buy is yours without needing COE, etc.

    Most people just park cars which are dirt cheap there, below 40k ringgit in value. There are lots of options around once we remove our blinkers and look for ourselves that is.
    I'm not saying I want to get an Altis or that Altis is a cheap car. I'm just trying to find out the price difference between Sg registered cars and My registered cars. And since you mentioned Toyota the last time, I thought comparing the Altis might be appropriate because it's the LEAST exotic of all cars.

Similar Threads

  1. US pilots living next to runway
    By Lee Hsien Tau in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-06-2011, 10:57 PM
  2. MERCER Only Says S'pore Infrastructure. Quality Of Living In S'pore Way Down OK.
    By ahleebabasingaporethief in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-04-2009, 02:40 AM
  3. Guide to living like pigeons
    By scoopdreams in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-04-2009, 01:56 PM
  4. Condo-style living for Bangras now...
    By makapaaa in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 06:08 PM
  5. Cost of living pushing up the Business Cost in Singapore ?
    By congo9 in forum The Courtyard Café
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-01-2009, 10:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •