• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owing to the government releasing so many flats into the market, and the height of foreign levies, which means that more foreigners will have to pack up and go. Within this year or next year. Also government and bankers and also property agent friend keep hinting of interest height as a last resort to curb escalating property prices. Mostly likely next year. As for my HDB flat, I am contemplating whether to sell or rent. If I sell, I am forgoing future rental collection, also not eligible to buy back a HDB flat again because of foreign house ownership. If I don't sell, I'll run the risk of having my house vacant for a long time. I in a dilema right now.

To sell or not to sell. Any opinion welcome. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

house

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owing to the government releasing so many flats into the market, and the height of foreign levies, which means that more foreigners will have to pack up and go. Within this year or next year. Also government and bankers and also property agent friend keep hinting of interest height as a last resort to curb escalating property prices. Mostly likely next year. As for my HDB flat, I am contemplating whether to sell or rent. If I sell, I am forgoing future rental collection, also not eligible to buy back a HDB flat again because of foreign house ownership. If I don't sell, I'll run the risk of having my house vacant for a long time. I in a dilema right now.

keep hinting of interest height - do u mean increase of interest rate?
what type is ur hdb? location? wanna sell to me? haha... can save on the agent fees.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Like you have sell , after selling you basically cant buy another HDB because of pte pty ownership . Even if there is a drop of 20 to 30% , it should be OK .
As for rental income , in a bad market ,you just need to lower your rental lor , unlikely to be vaccant in SG market.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal

cathy: I think you need to make a decision factoring the merits of your HDB. Is it close to amenities (malls, supermarkets, banks, parks)? Which area is it in (close to city, blue/white collar worker districts)? How close is it to the public transportation pulse (close to interchange mrt etc). If it checks a lot of boxes the more you shouldn't sell because your unit 'sells' for itself. In a depressed renting market, all rents being equally low, the rentee looks for choice locations and all these come into consideration with choice units snapped up and the rest languishing by the wayside.

as to the counter arguments. Government is releasing a lot of flats. Where are they? are they in the vicinity of your HDB unit therefore serve as competing rentals?

foreign levies are for workers providing services in e.g. domestic help, construction, cleaning etc. Are these the target group of people you want to rent to?

Interest rate hike. This one is tricky. We've been enjoying very low interest for a long time its only a matter of time before it rises from the low fueling inflation. As inflation rises, so does consumer products, services you may consider letting the rentee shoulder the burden and/or your cpf. I do not think a big increase is likely as it does not solve the problem. People who are buying such units at very high prices (resale) can afford it anyway whats 1 in 100 000 as compared to 1 in 100. But this very act will price out first time buyers who are barely able to afford which is not what the government wants (I hope).

:p my 2 cents to help you in ur consideration. All the best, I think your decision will not be easy.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
cathy: I think you need to make a decision factoring the merits of your HDB. Is it close to amenities (malls, supermarkets, banks, parks)? Which area is it in (close to city, blue/white collar worker districts)? How close is it to the public transportation pulse (close to interchange mrt etc). If it checks a lot of boxes the more you shouldn't sell because your unit 'sells' for itself. In a depressed renting market, all rents being equally low, the rentee looks for choice locations and all these come into consideration with choice units snapped up and the rest languishing by the wayside.

Its not easy for me to come to a decision at all. I am living in Tampines now. My area is 3 bus stop to MRT and interchange. No amenities except perhap primary schools and childcare centres. So in a depressed renting market my house is not going to be a choiced location. This house which is a 5 room flat I got it for $158k only so if lower rent but not empty is still manageable.

as to the counter arguments. Government is releasing a lot of flats. Where are they? are they in the vicinity of your HDB unit therefore serve as competing rentals?

You may or may not be right in this aspect. Cos somemore flats are coming up in Tampines central. Design and build ones which can command higher returns in the near future.

foreign levies are for workers providing services in e.g. domestic help, construction, cleaning etc. Are these the target group of people you want to rent to?

S pass also included. S pass holders can also be managers and supervisors who have a higher income and able to afford the whole house. The case with my room tenants now, they will be looking for a whole flat in 2 to 3 months time as they feel that rental might come down.

Interest rate hike. This one is tricky. We've been enjoying very low interest for a long time its only a matter of time before it rises from the low fueling inflation. As inflation rises, so does consumer products, services you may consider letting the rentee shoulder the burden and/or your cpf. I do not think a big increase is likely as it does not solve the problem. People who are buying such units at very high prices (resale) can afford it anyway whats 1 in 100 000 as compared to 1 in 100. But this very act will price out first time buyers who are barely able to afford which is not what the government wants (I hope).

I really don't know, there has been lotsa talks on CNN lately about rising interest rate as a last resort should the the cooling measures that they introduced currently to curb speculative activities fail. Also a property agent friend also confirmed that lotsa 'mickey mouse' apartments in not so good locations are currently empty.

Is the government bent on depressing housing prices? Or are they just doing something for the elections and back to square one after that? Will they let our house value appreciate gradually? Or are they wanting to keep the same value for a long long time?

This is my first house. I have lotsa memories attached to it. I got married here, give birth here.... Which is why makes it all the more difficult for me to come to a decision.

Last edited:

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cathy:
like you say yourself it is very difficult decision to make. i see pros and cons both equally meritable. In such situations what does your heart (so some say gut) say? That is very likely where your answer will come from not the unpredictable future scenarios. Interestingly, science is beginning to find proof that thinking neurons go into the heart and does more than just controlling muscular contractions explaining the heart felt emotions and 'gut' feelings. :biggrin:

On another note: all the important info and pass discussions are lost. I wonder if its permanent? Are new users lost as well? e.g. Rafflestiger??

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe Wuqi got washed away together with the rest of the threads? Hows your renting of units coming along?

Hubby decided to rent it out after we move. Rent first then see how lah. Its a big flat if sell cannot buy back liao. Anyway I really like JB for its serenity. Can't get it in Singapore. Can't even find a place to sit in the coffeeshop now adays. So stressed here now. Though many have said that they will proberly balik kampong next year.

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Johor has positive outlook, says Frank Knight
By Siti Sakinah Abdul Latif of theedgeproperty.com
Wednesday, 09 March 2011 17:35

JOHOR BAHRU: The property sector outlook in Johor Bahru is expected to be positive as the market has maintained its growth momentum in the second half of 2010, said property consultant Knight Frank Malaysia in its research report on Malaysia's 2H2010 Real Estate Highlights.

Notable growth was particularly experienced by the mid-high to high end residential properties.

The positive sentiment, it said, takes into consideration the advanced stages of completion for major infrastructure works in Johor Bahru, as well as the co-operation forged by the Malaysian and Singaporean governments.

Major projects in Iskandar Malaysia coming on stream in 2012 and the investment prospects enhanced by the Economic Transformation Programme (ETP) also contributed to the overall positive outlook.

Among the indications for a positive market outlook include Bandar Raya Developments Bhd taking over from Limitless Holdings Pte Ltd in the partnership with UEM Land (60:40) to develop the 111-acre land identified as Residential North, Puteri Harbour in Nusajaya, with an expected gross development value (GDV) of about RM2.3 billion.

Also noted was Dijaya Corp Bhd's partnership with Iskandar Water Front Sdn Bhd to form Goldhill Quest Sdn Bhd for the development of a 14.8-hectare site in Danga Bay, Johor Bahru with a GDV of about RM3.8 billion.

Also in September 2010, Iskandar Investment Bhd and Bina Puri Holdings Bhd sealed a joint venture agreement to develop Medini Square in Nusajaya, a commercial development consisting of retail, shop offices, SOHO units and an office tower. The proposed development is expected to generate RM500 million of GDV.

"The Iskandar Regional Development Authority and State Economic Planning Unit is conducting studies on the transformation of Johor Bahru city centre into a vibrant city and expected to released the results of the studies by early 2011," it said, adding that under the 10th Malaysia Plan, some RM1.8 billion will be spent for this purpose.

WCT Bhd is also taking part in the development of a 10.3-acre site in the Medini Business District, Nusajaya. The RM688 million project will include a media village and film and television production facility.

The report added that as of September 2010, Iskandar Malaysia has attracted investments of approximately RM64.38 billion, exceeding the RM47 billion target for 2010.

"More Singapore investors are expected following the joint statement by Singapore's and Malaysia's Prime Ministers in May to establish a close relationship in the development of Iskandar Malaysia Studies are also being carried out to develop a Rapid Transit System (RTS) between Singapore and Iskandar Malaysia," it said.

Under Budget 2011, RM339 million was allocated for the infrastructure support of the economic regions of Iskandar Malaysia.

Meanwhile, outside Iskandar Malaysia, S P Setia Bhd has acquired a 259-acre land for the development of Taman Setia Indah in Johor Bahru. The proposed development is expected to have a GDV of RM1.5 billion.

Knight Frank said mid-high to high-end residential properties is a growing sector in Johor Bahru. Among new developments are Nusa Sentral by Country View Bhd located along Jalan Gelang Patah, Nusajaya. The development offers 312 units of terraced homes, with built-up areas from 2,100 sq ft to 2,300 sq ft. The prices range from RM338,000 to RM380,000 per unit.

Another residential development is The Z, Indah Villa by S P Setia, located within the ongoing Taman Setia Indah offering 22 units of semi-detached houses for sale. The built-ups range from 3,795 sq ft to 4,212 sq ft with prices ranging from RM1,288,800 to RM1,408,800.

However, the commercial property market with the exception of shop offices, remained subdued

The supply of Johor Bahru's purpose-built office space remains unchanged, with the total net lettable area (NLA) of purpose-built office space in Johor Bahru as at Q3 2010 at 8,194,542 sq ft. The overall average occupancy rate is in the region of 75%.

Knight Frank said in its report that the prime central business district (CBD) office space is let at a gross rental range of RM2.50 to RM3.00 psf per month whilst offices at secondary locations are leasing below RM1.50 psf per month.

On retail property, Knight Frank said that as of 3Q, the NLA of retail space in Johor Bahru is estimated at 10,921,012 sq ft. The overall average occupancy rate is 71.0%. Prime centres have all recorded occupancy rates in excess of 80%. Prime gross rents range from RM15 to RM40 psf per month.

The report added that new proposed retail developments in Johor include a lifestyle mall by Iskandar Investment Bhd located at the western development zone of Medini North, Nusajaya with a gross retail space of one million sq ft which is expected to be completed by 2012.

There will also be the redevelopment of the KOMTAR shopping mall in Johor Bahru CBD by Johor Corporation, with a gross lettable area of about 383,000 sq ft. The mall is scheduled to be completed by 2012.

rw6akr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone know if one should pay taxes in Malaysia or in Singapore if income is earned in Singapore while person is living in Malaysia and commute daily (e.g. is that more than 185 days outside of Singapore)?

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone know if one should pay taxes in Malaysia or in Singapore if income is earned in Singapore while person is living in Malaysia and commute daily (e.g. is that more than 185 days outside of Singapore)?

Haha don't complicate things, i hope you did not call IRAS to ask them.

You are working in SG full time hence you pay SG tax, MY authorities will not go after you for sure.

toolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, will be moving into JB soon . Can anyone recommend a good reliable mover ?

Hi,

I replied to mover queries before but think it got wiped out along with the whole chunk of pages..

So here goes:

Tag team movers, Patrick +65 9329 7171
He does cross border moves in partnership w msian agent..
Can discuss type.. Reasonable pricing.. Includes customs tax in price
Definitely not like kc dat but still professional in the sense that got black and white but somewhat flexible too within reasonable limits. Nice guy

Some of the other contacts I used:

Curtains:

Bernard from homelux +60 16 710 9966
Situated beside chef Wah / habib
Prompt, efficient, experienced with HH

Contractor:

Lam Keong Construction
Contact ST: +60 16 733 5168
He can work.. His workers are good. His electrical people are v professional. But may need some pushing if he is holding on to multiple projects (like all contractors)
Is able to connect you to good deals/special prices if you are not in a great
hurry and are flexible in Yr material options.
Fairly young chap eager to prove himself.. So if you are comfortable with this
profile then do call him for a quote..

That's all I can offer Now..

Bought a msian car too from a dealer recommended by my cousin who is local.. Wanna try out the car and his after sales service first before recommending.

Hopefully various previous contacts can be posted again.. Perhaps this will help bring back the life to this forum again

Cheers!

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hubby decided to rent it out after we move. Rent first then see how lah. Its a big flat if sell cannot buy back liao. Anyway I really like JB for its serenity. Can't get it in Singapore. Can't even find a place to sit in the coffeeshop now adays. So stressed here now. Though many have said that they will proberly balik kampong next year.

If possible rent for passive income n capital appreciation. I would have done it if it not for the 15% deposit & legal fees.
I lived in a 5rm HDB flat at Hougang near amenities & MRT. Was quote $2.8k for whole house.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.