• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Foreigners who are well heeled should continue staying in Singapore, you are welcome but please note that this thread was started to help those who are local and have difficulty coping or planning alternatives.

As long as you are a foreigner in Singapore, you are well treated and highly likely will be better treated than the locals.

Still, to answer some questions:

Commute
1. You can hire a Malaysia driver with a Malaysian registered car(your own of course) and do a daily trip in and out of SG. The car can be purchased cheaply and the driver can be hired on monthly basis.

2. There are also talks about shuttles for certain property developments going out to SG on daily basis in the morning. Else, you can take the CW3 out to SG to Jurong and take a cab from there.

Updates for everyone:
1. Driving conversion for those driving Malaysian vehicles - (Superceded)
I got informed by a learned friend and also others and found that there is no need for the conversion afterall (only if you are migrating there) but that you can get an international driving license and thus able to drive all Malaysia cars in Malaysia.

2. When stopped, don't volunteer a bribe, there was one time my friend got away when he politely challenged the offence as it was really ridiculous.

3. At the customs, if they stop you and want to check, please do get out of the car to open the boot for them.

4. Again at the customs, if you find that you are missing a VISA stamp/chop on your passport, park your car and get back to the same point of entry that you took and speak to the officers in the main immigration room. It helps if you can bring the passport of 1-2 fellow travellors along. Be polite, this has happened twice to my friends and families and i was able to resolve this without the need for $$$.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
International license =

One can apply to the International Driving License from Road Transport Office (J.P.J) all over the country. The rules and regulations are as follows, including the necessary documents required:

a) Domestic license which is still valid for at least a year and its photostat copy.

b) Identity card (original) and 1 copy photostat

c) 2 copies coloured photo, passport size

d) Application form JPJL1

e) International Driving License fee for 1 year (RM150)

To my knowledge, you have to surrender your Domestic Malaysian License in place of your International Driving License. As no one is permitted to posses 2 driving licenses in Malaysia.

If in the later stages, you no longer require usage of this said license (which is rather costly anyway) you could then surrender it for your C.D.L (Competent Driver’s License) domestic license later.

Other than J.P.J offices, this license is attainable from the Automobile Association Of Malaysia (A.A.M) office also.

It should be cheaper to apply for this in Singapore instead. ($22 SGD)

http://www.aas.com.sg/?show=content&showview=8&val=135

Some links and source(Malaysia, $150 RM):

http://www.mywisewife.com/how-to-get-international-driving-license-in-malaysia.html

http://driving-school.com.my/intern...-international-driving-license-for-malaysian/

http://www.malaysia.gov.my/EN/Relev...icense/Pages/InternationalDrivingLicense.aspx

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Also to add for matters regarding to commuting to Singapore, there is no issue with getting a Malaysian driving sending you to Singapore, there is the issue of the cost though as its $20 per day after the first 10 visits. They can come in to SG daily with no issues.

29ers is right about the SMART tag, its useful if you need to cross in a hurry and if there are many toll stations along your designated route. Its not ALWAYS detectable though so still have to slow down to pass some of them.

Maids:

http://johorbahru.olx.com.my/house-maid-agency-johor-iid-115149587

http://www.tuugo.my/Companies/malaysia-house-maid-agency/0190003086352

http://superpages.com.my/superhome/cleaning-service/cleaning-services-and-maid-agent-159975.html

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
You can get the Smart tag machine and just put in your TnG card. :smile:

Analyticalprofessor, you have helped us a lot too, thanks for your continued sharing.

Ok for home utensils, you can go to Bestmart, opposite the Petronas petrol station. Its also besides a Shell station on the way towards Carrefour(Sutera mall)

For vegetarians, there is a nice place open from 10am to 9pm located near the Ali cafe place(near Alliance bank), its in one of the backlanes, prices good too though service can be slightly improved.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bank branches in Bukit Indah area (Please help to add if i miss out anything)

Standard Chartered Bank
HSBC
Alliance Bank
EON Bank
AMbank
Maybank(Inside Jusco)

Perling
Public Bank

Payment of utilities:
POS inside Jusco
POS at Perling
POS at Bestmart(next to Merrybrown[fast food restaurant which has porridge even])

Some food places:
Secret Recipe - Perling mall (Giant is located there) - A bit run down but good place to unwind as most people don't go there even on weekends. :smile:
Bei jing Lou Chinese restaurant located besides Sutera Mall - Nice ambience, good food too
Korean restaurant (located near Alliance bank at Bukit Indah) - Very authentic but pricey.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can get the Smart tag machine and just put in your TnG card. :smile:

29ers is right about the SMART tag, its useful if you need to cross in a hurry and if there are many toll stations along your designated route. Its not ALWAYS detectable though so still have to slow down to pass some of them.

Just a reminder ...

When you get your SMART tag , do not attach it onto the car windscreen.
When you want to use it, take it out and put it on the dashboard 5 m before you reach the toll.

A lot of thieves are into SMART tag, they will smash your windscreen to steal it and sell for quick bucks.

Keep it in the dashboard drawer if not in use. :wink:
Do not let it easily be seen from outside. :wink:

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just a reminder ...

When you get your SMART tag , do not attach it onto the car windscreen.
When you want to use it, take it out and put it on the dashboard 5 m before you reach the toll.

A lot of thieves are into SMART tag, they will smash your windscreen to steal it and sell for quick bucks.

Keep it in the dashboard drawer if not in use. :wink:
Do not let it easily be seen from outside. :wink:

Ok today just went to The Store, near the Crown Crystal Hotel or is it Crystal Crown Hotel and went to TMPoint to get streamyx. Be prepare for a long queue and pls put coupon for at least 2hrs. Pls ignore the Plaza Pelangi for streamyx they did not updated it is no longer in services. Also ignore all TAD, they don't bother to entertain you. TM Authorize Dealer.

TM, streamyx claim my area at Horizon Hill is within their coverage, so pls be prepare a deposit of $1075 and 7 days of waiting time.

Wuqi need help on 2 issues.
1) I'll be bring my appliances in from SGP to JB in terms of taxes I was told by 1 moving co. that tax for my appliances will be waive if items on receipt is more then 6 months?

Regards

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The moving company should take care of things for you, most will accept a flat fee for the "tax" and you should be able to get it in easily. The receipt thing is correct but they may still choose to ignore and levy taxes. What are you bringing in? If its not a lot, just leave it in SG and buy here as most items are cheaper. Mainly electronics and entertainment systems/items get taxed. If you are not in a hurry and come in 2-3 times a week, you can also do it slowly by moving in 1 large item at a time. I know of a few guys who did that. They either have one or borrowed some nice people's MPV and slowly but surely did it. :smile:

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
The moving company should take care of things for you, most will accept a flat fee for the "tax" and you should be able to get it in easily. The receipt thing is correct but they may still choose to ignore and levy taxes. What are you bringing in? If its not a lot, just leave it in SG and buy here as most items are cheaper. Mainly electronics and entertainment systems/items get taxed. If you are not in a hurry and come in 2-3 times a week, you can also do it slowly by moving in 1 large item at a time. I know of a few guys who did that. They either have one or borrowed some nice people's MPV and slowly but surely did it. :smile:

I wonder how will I be taxed if I bring in 1 aircon-condenser, then fan coil on another occasion. What if all second hand?

matix

Alfrescian
Loyal
What happened to the rest of the posts in this thread? I remembered we are already at page 154 or something like that..

cathylmg

Alfrescian
Loyal
This happened once to my Handphone recently ( just 1 month ago ). I was going thru my messages ( abour 300+ of them ) when my screen went blank and later restarted by itself. I tot it hang but when I scroll thru the messages again to resume my reading and deleting, I was shocked when ALL recent message were not there but those which were there belonged to last year May 2010. I even got all these 200+ messages which I had deleted in May 2010 all INTACT. The dates and time show last May 2010.

I was shocked and later went to a temple to seek forgiveness for all the sins that I have done.

Subsquently everything went smoothly but of course I lost very important messages

Which is why I always feels that hard copy is still the best....:o

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Looking for advice/feedback here. I have found a suitable terrace unit at The Gateway and am signing for a 1+1 lease period and appreciate your comments on the following T&C:
1. Earnest deposit (1st month rental advance)
2. Security deposit (1 month rental; returnable at end of lease period)
3. Utility deposit (RM1000; returnable at end of lease period)
4. Agency fees (I am going through an agent as I have had no luck with direct owners; 1/2 amt of monthly rental)
5. Stamp duty etc. at RM200

Does this look kosher? I am asking requesting for a copy of the full tenancy agreement so I can go through the T&Cs in detail too.

Thanks for all help and I look forward in joining the HH community in Apr!

rw6akr

Alfrescian
Loyal
My last post was about Inland Revenue. Let me try to reproduce it below.

If I am traveling on a route Singapore - Malaysia - Singapore it creates few questions:
1. Would Inland Revenue office in Singapore consider me as a Tax Resident in Singapore (should stay more than 180 days in Singapore) or if they are just to charge me a flat rate as for Non-Resident?
2. Do I need to pay any taxes in Malaysia (or both) as they might consider me as a tax resident even though that the income is obtained Singapore.
3. I believe there should be an agreement between SG/MY about double taxation. Is that possible for me to select the country where I want to pay taxes myself in such a case?

Coolsaint77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

Looking for advice/feedback here. I have found a suitable terrace unit at The Gateway and am signing for a 1+1 lease period and appreciate your comments on the following T&C:
4. Agency fees (I am going through an agent as I have had no luck with direct owners; 1/2 amt of monthly rental)

Does this look kosher? I am asking requesting for a copy of the full tenancy agreement so I can go through the T&Cs in detail too.

When i rented my cheaper house at NI, myself, the agent and landlord met face to face, so everything is settled at one go. My utility deposit is MY500 since it is a smaller place, agency fee is half mth, stamp fee was MY100 or thereabout.

So what you have looks similar to me except that i was renting a smaller and cheaper place

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all,

It looks fine; and in fact the security deposit is usually 2 months. But why do you have to pay the agent? I've never rented through an agent before in Msia; so maybe it's a usual fee if you asked the agent to help find a unit.

The landlord will definitely need to pay the agent 1/2 month for a 1 year rental agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.