• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Currently along Sutera Mall for a bored stroll.
Many Japanese buffet Restaurant n Massage Parlour.
Driven back along the way pass by Old White Town Cafe for a cocoa sip n fresh young faces. Nice to see pretty Mei Meis once in awhile. Sometimes do miss holland n orchard for chiobu.
Tml testing P1 for their 4.8Mbps. If possible it is much worth it then paying for streamxy n celcom. 98rm for 5gb lame.

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Currently along Sutera Mall for a bored stroll.
Many Japanese buffet Restaurant n Massage Parlour.
Driven back along the way pass by Old White Town Cafe for a cocoa sip n fresh young faces. Nice to see pretty Mei Meis once in awhile. Sometimes do miss holland n orchard for chiobu.
Tml testing P1 for their 4.8Mbps. If possible it is much worth it then paying for streamxy n celcom. 98rm for 5gb lame.

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear aangsc,

Tonight there will be MAJOR fireworks at the stroke of midnight.
Come to HH tonight, even outside the Gateway you will see. We have 108 shots, 25 shots and 49 shots that everyone will be setting off. It will be a worthy sight to behold. You can get it easily at the Pasar Malam on Wednesday nights right before the CNY.

There will be enough fireworks for everyone tonight. Some one just let off more firecrackers. :smile:

Was there that MAJOR firework display. Unfortunately I have more visiting to do , so wanted to avoid the jam at custom by staying put in SG.

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
p1 can be used in HH? u mean the wireless/fix or mobile broadband?

Had tested it. Signal strength is only 1 bar. Taking the plunge as the most exp package is 132rm for 4.8mbps at 60gbs cap. Better then throw 1k rm to streamxy for a copper based wired line at 200++ unlimited.
I'll let u know how is it.
Wuqi is ur house near the no 16 r behind no 74? Saw the fireworks n cracker. Nice.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wishing everyone a Happy and Prosperous New Year including the people that makes SG interesting and superbly CHALLENGING:

1. Those foreign talents who cheerfully abolishes half day for Lunar New Year for all and sundry, negating any goodwill their hapless subordinates had for them.
2. Those Pinoys who need a separate receipt for each and every of their 6 payment transactions(and thus do it 6 times)
3. Those from a multitude of countries (yet somehow classed as talents) who keeps everyone waiting at the ATM machine and does not understand that you can't draw money from an account that has only 1 dollar it it.

Not just withdrawing money, yesterday Pinoys infront of me took very long to deposit money too! Some more it is a family of five Pinoys, split up and jiam two cash deposit machines!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those who are lovers of DIY for curtains or wall mount hooks or handles. Go ahead. I was so happy that I get to be able to drill through the wall which happens to be the pillar of my home.
2 things cross my mind.
My 20++ year old HDB back in SGP need heavy duty drill to pierce at least 5cm which my 12v drill can't do. Be it pillars or wall.
My 12v drilling machine can pierce through any wall even pillars of my current home. Sssssssssscary..........

Sigh
Anyway fyi when surfing mobile broadband by celcom pls go high like 1st floor as ground floor sucks.

wuqi should I be worry for an earthquake?

Er...isn't it dangerous to drill the wall that is the pillar of your home? I viewed 2 terraces at HH and both have cracks on the walls and they are not fine cracks and spread a big distance across the wall...

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hey aangsc, there was another big one last night, not as major as the one on the eve of course. There is nothing like the din of firecrackers and fresh smell of gunpowder on the first day of the new year. The sky lanterns this year was a bit lesser though we still saw a couple flying yesterday. A bro of mine put out some nice shows earlier on yesterday.:smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
for those who are lovers of DIY for curtains or wall mount hooks or handles. Go ahead. I was so happy that I get to be able to drill through the wall which happens to be the pillar of my home.
2 things cross my mind.
My 20++ year old HDB back in SGP need heavy duty drill to pierce at least 5cm which my 12v drill can't do. Be it pillars or wall.
My 12v drilling machine can pierce through any wall even pillars of my current home. Sssssssssscary..........

Sigh
Anyway fyi when surfing mobile broadband by celcom pls go high like 1st floor as ground floor sucks.

Ok this is comparing oranges to apples.

Pillars in a high rise building such as a HDB/Condo would typically need to sustain alot of weight/load and as such are built to higher specs. There would likely be more reinforcement bars as it needs to take on the weight of the other floors. Houses on the other hand typically does not need to take on so much weight and as such you will have an easier time. The buildings over at HH here did pass the CONQUAS assessment.

To answer your question, in times of earthquake, which would you rather be, high rise apartment and requiring lift to reach ground floor quickly or just go for the stairs or if dire emergency, jump from 2nd floor to the soft grass of the garden. You can't really do that from an apartment building unless you are staying at the 2nd/3rd floor.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Danteakc, for chiobu viewing, please visit your friendly Sutera mall and walk around those boutiques for ladies. I was also at the Old Town white coffee joint today. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Everyone,

Happy CNY to everyone here

I just bought a unit a Mont Callista last week and was pretty glad i did. I supposed most of you folks here are horizon hill residents. Would just like to find out if it is better to get a loan for the property in Malaysia or the few banks in Singapore that do Malaysian Property loans (Maybank, UOB, RHB etc).

Am just looking for a 70-75% loan over a 20 year period ...
Are the any recommendations or things i should look out for?

i read somewhere in this thread that people are not too comfortable with the Mont Callista neighbourhood, i wonder if there are any potential problems that you folks see that i haven't figured out yet.

cheers

The interest rates in Malaysia are higher but if you want to be safe, its still better to take it in Malaysia. The rates do seem to be more stable and if you take a loan from SG bank, you will be more exposed assuming if you want to keep your privacy. Check for the stamp duty rate and also if the bank financing you will cover for the lawyer and their own stamp duty, etc. Check that they don't need you to do (and pay) valuation especially for subsale units.

Ok, one of my neighbours stayed at that area for Mont Calista, they stayed in one of the areas near to the Giant and they thought of buying Mont Calista as well.

Due to some incidents outside, they thought otherwise and instead paid more to move here. They are not alone in their concerns, i understand as their neighbour from there has also made the move over and became our new neighbour.

I have been back there recently, security wise they have beefed up through better fencing on the walls, etc.

Its the environment (low cost housing, etc) surrounding it and only one way in and the side road that was being built is still not going anywhere after all this while. Don't get me wrong though, It has a lot going for it, nice house, good design, high walls, movie theatre at the very nearby Giant, good shopping mall at the Jusco nearby.

It just didn't click with my parents, as their happiness has priority over mine (both me and my missus actually preferred Mont Calista initially), we went to HH to check it out, fell in love with the concept and the rest is more than a year of history now.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
[by celcom pls go high like 1st floor as ground floor sucks.

huh there arent earthquakes in this region.

hows the firework last night? i am bored to death in sinkieland[/QUOTE]

I would be sleeping well if i were you, i still remembered one time i was at my HDB in SG when there was some tremours from Sumatra side, can feel the earth move literally. Only thing though, it was 2am in the morning when i was reading it, when i felt the earth move, i figured i was just too tired and went to bed. Didn't struck me as weird that my glass cup fell from the table to the (luckily) carpet below.

Next day morning, read papers about the tremours then i realised what it was.
This area is further away from Indonesia but in a major earthquake, no place is safe except perharps higher ground, at least you won't get tsunamis plus being in a house as opposed to a high rise apartment lets you evacuate in a jiffy.

Fireworks was great but too many neighbours trying to outdo each other. :biggrin:
When one series of fireworks ended, another would deliver their answer in 25, 36, 49 shots, it went on and on like somehow it was a coordinated one. :smile:

I have an ex boss who is my neighbour so a series was done outside his house for good luck as well as another new house belonging to my friend. Its a very different CNY experience than the past ones. My dad was so happy with the 18 foot firecrackers chain that he was pleased as punch when it delivered the new year to us. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Er...isn't it dangerous to drill the wall that is the pillar of your home? I viewed 2 terraces at HH and both have cracks on the walls and they are not fine cracks and spread a big distance across the wall...

Its definitely not recommended especially if its a deep one. You will be surprised though as what constitutes as major cracks or compromises a building.

Have a look at Sengkang, as mentioned below. HDB units should be built to higher standards but defects are prone to occur. Any house/apartment that one buys, remember to go in with your eyes open and a trusted contractor or building expert who can give you some pointers else the worst thing you want is for water to come out from your electrical sockets:

http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=511786&page=5

By : Johnson Choo, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Sengkang flats have been in the spotlight recently but for all the wrong reasons.

First, construction at several blocks was delayed, then there was an invasion of cockroaches at several other blocks, and now there's water seeping into several flats at a newly completed block at Compassvale.

A 5-room Sengkang flat which is is barely two months old, but its floor has already had to be repaired by HDB contractors twice.

The problem - there's water leaking into the ground floor unit.

The joints, where the walls meet the floor have been re-sealed with water proof material, and the outside walls were hacked open and re-sealed with water-proof material.

Yet less than a week after the latest repairs, water is still slowly seeping through the floor.

Wang Xingwei, affected flat owner said: "Water keeps seeping through the floor in my master-bedroom. My contractor had intended to complete renovation by the end of this month, but now he's having a headache, especially with the parquet floor."

Because of this water seepage, the family has held back delivery of many of the household items they bought earlier.

But this isn't the only unit affected - next door watermarks had appeared on the ceiling, even though the unit above is not occupied.

Another affected flat owner, Weng Zhuping said: "I've complained a couple of times, and the contractor only came to paint over it. Now one week later, the watermark has returned."

And on this 9th floor unit, water is seeping through the wall tiles.

HDB contractors have had to remove them and add more cement to replace the tiles, but they admit it may not solve the problem.

It is believed around 10 units in Block 207C Compassvale are facing similar problems.

HDB has ordered its contractors to fix these leaks, although it won't say if they are the result of shoddy workmanship. - CNA

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
We all know that JB has crime but we need to face the unpleasant truth, crime happens everywhere, even in SG. Even in elite areas, even in your HDB lift or the multistory carpark. I am not even going to try to google it.

One can never control it fully, yes you can try to avoid it but sometimes it comes to you whether you like it or not no matter which country you are in.

When you know that you cannot change the direction of the wind, its time to adjust your sails. Just because everytime there is an incident nearby, you run away? How many times can one run away? As a learned friend once taught me, its not what happens around you or to you that matters, its how you react to it.

Some countries may still big enough for you to run but if you stay in Tampines for example, then what do you do? You move because of that? No matter how far you run, you are still on the same island.

No, you learn to cope, by being more alert, vigilant and keeping low profile.

Someone just asked me how come their neighbour got robbed 3-4 years ago, then i asked for the full story, its either they travelled to dubious places or draped themselves in gold/driving posh cars. There are also hapless folks who just ended up at the wrong place at the wrong time but this happens everywhere, even in SG.

Fear is good, it keeps us alive in many ways but to be continued to be ruled by fear, its not for me.

Aeroflot

Alfrescian
Loyal
The interest rates in Malaysia are higher but if you want to be safe, its still better to take it in Malaysia. The rates do seem to be more stable and if you take a loan from SG bank, you will be more exposed assuming if you want to keep your privacy. Check for the stamp duty rate and also if the bank financing you will cover for the lawyer and their own stamp duty, etc. Check that they don't need you to do (and pay) valuation especially for subsale units.

Ok, one of my neighbours stayed at that area for Mont Calista, they stayed in one of the areas near to the Giant and they thought of buying Mont Calista as well.

Due to some incidents outside, they thought otherwise and instead paid more to move here. They are not alone in their concerns, i understand as their neighbour from there has also made the move over and became our new neighbour.

I have been back there recently, security wise they have beefed up through better fencing on the walls, etc.

Its the environment (low cost housing, etc) surrounding it and only one way in and the side road that was being built is still not going anywhere after all this while. Don't get me wrong though, It has a lot going for it, nice house, good design, high walls, movie theatre at the very nearby Giant, good shopping mall at the Jusco nearby.

It just didn't click with my parents, as their happiness has priority over mine (both me and my missus actually preferred Mont Calista initially), we went to HH to check it out, fell in love with the concept and the rest is more than a year of history now.

thanks mate ...

there is a road next to Mont Callista that is supposed to be linked to the highway ... and from what the chinese rep from the developer told me ... it is undergoing 'approval' to be connected up ... not placing alot of hope in that coming true ... but if it does .. it will be a bonus ...

my parents like that area ... not the most glamourous .. but it does have all the require amenities which includes a wet market nearby (3-5 mins drive) when they get sick of the usual Justco, Giant stuff ...

my unit is not due till 2013 ... in the meantime ... i'd like to ask what is the normal renovation cost to for a semi D in Johor? ... i intend to knock down some walls (i wonder if that will be an expensive endeavour in Johor) ... and to do wood flooring for the balcony area (among other things) ...

This thread has been a great read ...

thanks dude

Regards

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
p1 can be used in HH? u mean the wireless/fix or mobile broadband?

Ok here is the deal for p1. Better then celcom mobile but signal strength not ideal not constant. But if streamxy deposit too high then choose P1 n buy a wifi booster r get some sort of antenna to capture their tower signal.
Best to get the 1mbps r 2mbps as average is less then 1.5mbps. I had sign up for 4.8mbps. Not worth it. Planning for streamxy.
Will update.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its definitely not recommended especially if its a deep one. You will be surprised though as what constitutes as major cracks or compromises a building.

Have a look at Sengkang, as mentioned below. HDB units should be built to higher standards but defects are prone to occur. Any house/apartment that one buys, remember to go in with your eyes open and a trusted contractor or building expert who can give you some pointers else the worst thing you want is for water to come out from your electrical sockets:

http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=511786&page=5

Not sure whether these are major cracks, just that they are not fine or hairline cracks, a bit strange for new buildings. In Singapore, may be only see that in old buildings. But only saw at the HH terraces though, not the semi ds.

Er...the Sengkang flats news was in 2003...many years ago. Seriously I won't mind being in their shoes, heard from my colleague who bought HDB in Sengkang/Punggol around that time for 200k+, now is 400k+, double already :biggrin:

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can only say:

Congratulations to the enlightened Singaporeans who have found a newer and refreshing life abroad. I doubt the Old Fart misses or cares about you, and neither should you reciprocate.

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.