• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro wuji,

yesterday i was with teck21, whose is driving all the way from HH back to singapore.

i feel the journey quite long sia.. are u staying in HH all the while and work in sg?..

i google map and that is 38km apart from HH to my work place..

hmmm.....

Glad u made that trip...young man :smile:

Next you should explore the surroundings ...really

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your reply Wuqi. It's 2.05am already, have a good sleep :smile: Me going to JPO tomorrow afternoon with some friends, yay!
Seems like we have a few early birds visiting JPO, kindly update your field reports (better if got pictures) here so that the rest of the brothers and sisters can enjoy .
Now is that official open or not ? Thanks !

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be frank, I also have big reservations about the journey times if living in JB and working fulltime in SIN, especially if one have to work long hours (as most PMETs may increasingly attest to these days...).
So personally, I dont see it as an viable option except as a weekend home, or for someone who has very flexible working hours (sales? own towkay?, etc), or semi-retired, or retired.
Otherwise, it can be an incrementally draining experience to drive day in day out, etc... even now, from our place in east coast to jurong, having to go through traffic is already pretty tiring and generally SIN traffic pace can be considered pretty decent...
Anyway, for those who can make the transitions well, more power to you!

Just some musings on another cold wet day in SIN...

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi bro wuji,

yesterday i was with teck21, whose is driving all the way from HH back to singapore.

i feel the journey quite long sia.. are u staying in HH all the while and work in sg?..

i google map and that is 38km apart from HH to my work place..

hmmm.....

With the new Coastal Highway, it'll be shortened by around 9km, thus equals 29km. (I assume that your 38km is using 2nd Link Highway, passing by Bukit Indah Jusco to get to HH)

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seems like we have a few early birds visiting JPO, kindly update your field reports (better if got pictures) here so that the rest of the brothers and sisters can enjoy .
Now is that official open or not ? Thanks !

Yes it's open to public from today, but there's an official grand opening ceremony by PM Najib on the 11th if I'm not wrong.
You can see some updates of yesterday's pre-sales opening from this link http://jbcool.com/2011/12/johor-premium-outlets/

checkers

Alfrescian
Loyal
With the new Coastal Highway, it'll be shortened by around 9km, thus equals 29km. (I assume that your 38km is using 2nd Link Highway, passing by Bukit Indah Jusco to get to HH)

But the new Coastal Highway uses the CAUSEWAY of which traffic is horrendous at peak hours. :rolleyes:

So while the journey may be shorter but the time taken may be longer ...and the temper hotter :biggrin:

I am not trying to pour 'cold water' ...just trying to be practical ....and realistic :smile:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my home in East Coast to HH including immigration clearance, if I travelled during non peak hour.. I can reach HH around 45-50min. I agreed it is a long journey if compute daily and expensive if you travel by Tuas everyday... However if you are determined to accept that, it is definitely possible considered so many folks have done it..

I have a friend who collected houses as hobbies... not just for investment or rental.. just like people who collect expensive watches or cars.. it is the same.. I plan to retire from Singapore in a few year times (It is not that I have reached my retirement age, but I don't believe in total retirement and I wish I can find some liked minded friends to do some business in Malaysia at our own time.. Maybe a technology startup or something that can give me more flexible time..).. I also think looking for a new life only after total retirement(and kids all grown up) might be a bit too late.. Living in JB is a start of a new journey or transition.. Like Wuyi said, after living in JB, maybe you will have the appetite of living in other beautiful countries in the world.. and you will realise the world is not just Singapore.. The world is hugh and beautiful..

To be frank, I also have big reservations about the journey times if living in JB and working fulltime in SIN, especially if one have to work long hours (as most PMETs may increasingly attest to these days...).
So personally, I dont see it as an viable option except as a weekend home, or for someone who has very flexible working hours (sales? own towkay?, etc), or semi-retired, or retired.
Otherwise, it can be an incrementally draining experience to drive day in day out, etc... even now, from our place in east coast to jurong, having to go through traffic is already pretty tiring and generally SIN traffic pace can be considered pretty decent...

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the new Coastal Highway uses the CAUSEWAY of which traffic is horrendous at peak hours. :rolleyes:

So while the journey may be shorter but the time taken may be longer ...and the temper hotter :biggrin:

I am not trying to pour 'cold water' ...just trying to be practical ....and realistic :smile:

I think you have mistaken EDL in East that feeds into Causeway.

Coastal Highway is in the West that links Danga to 2nd link instead. CH runs thru Nusajaya. Smooth as silk.

teck21

Alfrescian
Loyal

Getting to HH using the coastal highway does does not appear to be the issue, but getting to SG from HH seems to be a really long drive lol. Thought I'd be 'clever' and try to go back via the Coastal Highway, so I exited HH turning right, back onto the Highway we came from, and made a U-turn further down thinking we could take the highway back towards Ledang and then to Tuas.

Of course the highway was closed to traffic in that direction at the very same point we exited HH, so we had to come back the only way I knew, which was to drive past the Jusco, and then turning onto some expressway (afraid I don't know most road names yet), and then on to the N-S highway again.

That is quite a drive.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been checking with the HH sales staff regularly, and always been informed that they have nothing for links or clusters except the current launch at Hills due for completion after 2 years. And given the run-up in prices, wouldn'tthey won't mark up the prices of any such units if they came available. Seems to be a premium placed on buying direct from developer.

Buying from Malaysia developers at the launch always cheaper because no intermediary to take a cut. (Of course cheapest is always when there is a firesale).

As demand runs up, the developer increases price of subsequent release even if of same type house. Will be silly not to.

So when comparing developer price vs secondary market price, is a matter of timing.

For example, the Golf terrace 20x70 I saw was launched maybe in 2008 at RM330k. By the time I saw in 2009, new launches were at RM440k.
By the time I came back to want to buy from developer, it was sold in a matter of one week. It was that hot.
Secondary market available then was RM480k, with one as low as RM430k. The RM430k was probably by someone who bought in 2008 and needed to cash out but still make a cool RM100k profit
I did not pursue as by then made more sense to go for Hills developer price as differential in SGD was not too great vs RM480k benchmark of the 20x70. It gave me confidence of the resale prices in future.
*In those days no minimum price for foreigners in JB.

By the way hope you got the transaction thru. Congrats :smile:

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my home in East Coast to HH including immigration clearance, if I travelled during non peak hour.. I can reach HH around 45-50min. I agreed it is a long journey if compute daily and expensive if you travel by Tuas everyday... However if you are determined to accept that, it is definitely possible considered so many folks have done it..

Thats why I'd mentioned that if working fulltime in SIN, I foresee more days when one would'd wished one did not have to drive an hour back to home, especially late at night and after a long tiring day... :smile:
Thats also why I reckon living in JB and working fulltime as PMET in SIN is not really viable... its probably more suited for retirees or semi-retirees or people with flexible work hours...
Mind you, I already have several properties in JB and elsewhere, looking for more too...

Anyway, personally I'm planning ahead as I truly believe that the divergence in SIN v JB prices is simply too large and it will inevitably narrow - the spillover effect of a very expensive Singapore.
Retirement is still many years away and having lived, worked and travelled abroad extensively, I still find SIN one of the best cities to live in... and increasingly, as a nice complement, JB - for the weekend or day-trip to let loose some angst and steam... :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Buying from Malaysia developers at the launch always cheaper because no intermediary to take a cut. (Of course cheapest is always when there is a firesale).

As demand runs up, the developer increases price of subsequent release even if of same type house. Will be silly not to.

So when comparing developer price vs secondary market price, is a matter of timing.

For example, the Golf terrace 20x70 I saw was launched maybe in 2008 at RM330k. By the time I saw in 2009, new launches were at RM440k.
By the time I came back to want to buy from developer, it was sold in a matter of one week. It was that hot.
Secondary market available then was RM480k, with one as low as RM430k. The RM430k was probably by someone who bought in 2008 and needed to cash out but still make a cool RM100k profit
I did not pursue as by then made more sense to go for Hills developer price as differential in SGD was not too great vs RM480k benchmark of the 20x70. It gave me confidence of the resale prices in future.

Thanks for sharing. there was a minimum price back then, minimum 250k MYR if you buy from developer, 350k if you are buying it resale.

maxpark

Alfrescian
Loyal

My thots on the debate between buying fm developer vs agent...personally, I find the advantages vs disadvantages between the two, more or less balances out each other.

This is especially today when buying from developer is no longer "cheap" as prices have been adjusted with each new launch, setting increasingly higher prices each time, so no more "meat" left if any - so, whatever you buy today from developers is essentially market price.

Although I like the fact that prices have zoomed the past 1-2 years and thats good for the majority of the people vested here, I find that the pace of price increase recently has surged into questionable levels , especially with 2012 prognosis not being very healthy - with more and more GREED rushing into the market on the developers side - with more troubling evidences of strong hands releasing to weaker hands...

Anyway, if one can or intends to keep for longterm (to me, >10yrs) then whatever happens in USA, Europe or China, who cares... :smile:

Good points for buying from agents is that you can actually see the unit itself and see its location, orientation, view, layout, etc vs other units. Having viewed numerous units in Gateway and Golf previously, I have to say that some units are definitely better than others from the same type... but then again, these are individual preferences, so for me what could be "ideal", for another person it may well be completely different!

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually I'm also thinking of starting a business in JB.
But I believe we need 2 Malaysian directors. True?
Without MM2H, we also can start e company?

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thats why I'd mentioned that if working fulltime in SIN, I foresee more days when one would'd wished one did not have to drive an hour back to home, especially late at night and after a long tiring day... :smile:
Thats also why I reckon living in JB and working fulltime as PMET in SIN is not really viable... its probably more suited for retirees or semi-retirees or people with flexible work hours...
Mind you, I already have several properties in JB and elsewhere, looking for more too...

Anyway, personally I'm planning ahead as I truly believe that the divergence in SIN v JB prices is simply too large and it will inevitably narrow - the spillover effect of a very expensive Singapore.
Retirement is still many years away and having lived, worked and travelled abroad extensively, I still find SIN one of the best cities to live in... and increasingly, as a nice complement, JB - for the weekend or day-trip to let loose some angst and steam... :smile:

this makes me wonder if i would want to get a place there and travel in and out daily...
i am a PMET that works near clementi.

I have heard of singaporeans who stay in jb and work in singapore. i respect them of going throught the hassle and the journey.. of waking up 5am just to reach office at 830am

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am looking at the gateway yesterday 20x70 is already going for 480k ringgit...

pretty small intermediate unit..

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal

for example, if i work at clementi and must report by 830am. what time should i be leaving HH for example with the new coastal highway?

i dont really get what teck21 means by the highway is close? .. hmm

Aisanbo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, traveling is a major hinderance especially for families with kids.
Even if I am willing to wake up at 5am, the wife may not take it.
Even if she can sacrifice, the kids will suffer with the daily travel and waste of time.
It WILL affect their development and grades.
If I am single, I will go in and stay.

LGLab

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, traveling is a major hinderance especially for families with kids.
Even if I am willing to wake up at 5am, the wife may not take it.
Even if she can sacrifice, the kids will suffer with the daily travel and waste of time.
It WILL affect their development and grades.
If I am single, I will go in and stay.

i am married with a 3 mths old kid..

my parents are both retiree a the age of 69 and 73.

therefore, do not know i really wanna stay there and rent all the hdb out in singapore..

Status
Not open for further replies.