• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Published in ST on Sep 24, 2011

Indpendent chartered building surveyors found 32 defects in the pool, lift lobbies, residential units and basement carpark. Rotting wooden plank in the pool deck area (above), and water seepage in the basement carpark. -- ST PHOTOS: LIM WUI LIANG
By Amanda Tan

Home owners of The Seaview, an upmarket condo in the east, are seeking $14 million for defects that have allegedly plagued the estate since 2008.

In what is believed to be one of the largest amounts that a developer here is being sued for, the residents of the 546-unit project in Amber Road are suing Mer Vue Developments, a subsidiary of listed Wheelock Properties.

Also named in the suit - filed by the condo's management corporation (MC) - are main contractor Tiong Aik Construction, RSP Architects Planners & Engineers and engineering firm Squire Mech.

Even with properties worth over millions Singapore Dollar, what happen????

Singapore still has some way to go in terms of consumer rights... thanks to PAP who has tried hard to suppress anything that encourages civil liberty. Even the Fair Trading Act was in place just a couple of years ago. Despite being first world in hardware, we are severely lacking in other aspects of a developed nation such as consumer rights. There were many unreported cases of condos MCST seeking compensation from developer for shoddy workmanship but in most cases, the developer offers a token compensation worth a few hundred thousand and close the case. In fact they will leave you to deal with the main contractor. It takes a lot of energy to sue a developer, and council members being volunteers are usually unwilling to spend too much energy pursuing a case on behalf of typically ungrateful owners. eg. if the council incurs a lot of money and lose the case, the residents are likely to blame the council members for their "wrong judgement". Condo owners are like the typical Sinkie who wants you to fight for them but will blame you if things go wrong... basically the 60.1%... just my 2 cents from my short tenure serving in a Council years back :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Latest news.. One of the lift in a Kakit Bukit building had a free fall and crashed to the ground, damaged a few vehicles and 2 persons were in the life when it drop..

Thanks for sharing bro Arsenal, i had no idea that even a lift in Kaki Bukit can be allowed to fail so drastically? They should investigate this as there should have been many failsafe to avoid this. Are the building management sleeping or is this a condemned building? Didn't realised that Kaki Bukit is in Malaysia too. :P

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Bro Lemans, sometimes its a thankless job but someone has to do it. Its like this thread actually, i have a feeling that quite a few here are are from the 39.9 percent or the rare guys who think differently from the 60.1%.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry.. That Kakit bukit is in Singapore...

Thanks for sharing bro Arsenal, i had no idea that even a lift in Kaki Bukit can be allowed to fail so drastically? They should investigate this as there should have been many failsafe to avoid this. Are the building management sleeping or is this a condemned building? Didn't realised that Kaki Bukit is in Malaysia too. :P

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Latest news.. One of the lift in a Kakit Bukit building had a free fall and crashed to the ground, damaged a few vehicles and 2 persons were in the life when it drop..

One of my learned friend working in HDB commented the quality of construction in Singapore has degraded a lot in HDB as well as private condo.. It was all due to some foreigned foremen who are more relaxed and inexperienced workers who were employed just because they are cheap and most came without experience.. Also he said to be careful about materials used by china contractor..same copper piping that looked beautiful has different lifespan as those from Australia.. China copper piping are not used by most construction companies but no one know if it will be used by the lowest bidders.. I am surprised to know china copper pipe are so easy to get corroded.. Poor materials could be used in malaysia, but it doesn't mean it won't be used in Singapore.. As these companies all work for the profit as well as shareholders interests..

Did the 2 persons in the lift survived the fall? Aiyoh so not just standard of food dropped due to prepared by foreigners, construction standard also dropped due to foreign foremen.

I also think standard of Spore condo dropping, new condos are so small, high density, very little common space and car parks are multi storeys instead of basement car park. I heard that is becos basement car park costs more to build.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Sorry.. That Kakit bukit is in Singapore...

I am so surprised and disappointed at the same time. There should never be such things happening. Not to anyone or anywhere. Imagine being stuck in a lift is bad enough, then it free falls in the darkness. Woosh.....

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Found the news..
If spend S$1M and S$1M ringget also get similar quality, might as well get a plain house and do all renovation yourself..

"
SINGAPORE: A free-falling loading lift at a Kaki Bukit building caused a ceiling to crash onto cars in the basement car park, according to an eyewitness who spoke to Channel NewsAsia.

A scene of devastation greeted the eyewitness, who only wanted to be known as Linda, when she went to the car park at about 6pm on Thursday.

She was told by the building's security staff that a lift had fallen a few floors causing extensive damage in the basement car park.

Channel NewsAsia understands there were two people inside the lift, but they have been rescued.

Police said a member of the public called about the incident at Block 1 Kaki Bukit Avenue 3, saying the lift had malfunctioned.

No one was injured in the accident."

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Did the 2 persons in the lift survived the fall? Aiyoh so not just standard of food dropped due to prepared by foreigners, construction standard also dropped due to foreign foremen.

I also think standard of Spore condo dropping, new condos are so small, high density, very little common space and car parks are multi storeys instead of basement car park. I heard that is becos basement car park costs more to build.

Systematic failure? Points to ponder. When you go to these new launches, the amount of people you see there clearly points to the sign with the popular grammatically challenged statement "All your base are belong to us!!!"

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/signs.shtml

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Found the news..
If spend S$1M and S$1M ringget also get similar quality, might as well get a plain house and do all renovation yourself..

"
SINGAPORE: A free-falling loading lift at a Kaki Bukit building caused a ceiling to crash onto cars in the basement car park, according to an eyewitness who spoke to Channel NewsAsia.

A scene of devastation greeted the eyewitness, who only wanted to be known as Linda, when she went to the car park at about 6pm on Thursday.

She was told by the building's security staff that a lift had fallen a few floors causing extensive damage in the basement car park.

Channel NewsAsia understands there were two people inside the lift, but they have been rescued.

Police said a member of the public called about the incident at Block 1 Kaki Bukit Avenue 3, saying the lift had malfunctioned.

No one was injured in the accident."

Thanks for sharing, jokes and digs aside, i am really glad no one got hurt, FT or no FT alike.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Plan for SME hub in Medini Iskandar
By Ahmad Fairuz Othman
Business Times | Oct 20, 2011
http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...#ixzz1bFVlgULa

SINGAPORE: A dedicated hub for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) will be set up on a 121-hectare zone at the Medini Iskandar Malaysia to provide an opportunity for SMEs to contribute to the growth of the corridor.

Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) chief executive Ismail Ibrahim said the facility will be set up in anticipation of the arrival of more SMEs to Iskandar Malaysia following a RM2 billion syariah-compliant SME Financing Fund announced in the recent Budget.

"In a show of support for SMEs, a special business park in the flagship site of Medini in Nusajaya will be developed to cater to the needs of the SMEs.

"Global Capital & Development (GCD), which holds the concession to develop Medini, will be seeking investor-developer partners to set up the SME park," Ismail said during a press conference at Global Entropolis @Singapore at the Resort World Sentosa Convention Centre, Singapore, on Tuesday.

He said details on the SME park was still being finalised by GDC.

"In addition to SMEs involved in the media industry, which is part of their (GCD) portfolio, the business park will be relevant to those engaged in high-end technology, research, product development, business processing, telecommunications, call centre and data centre," he said.

On Singaporean investments in Iskandar Malaysia, Ismail said the cumulative committed investments from the island state stands at RM75.96 billion as of the second quarter of 2011.

Of this figure, RM3.67 billion was invested in the manufacturing sector and RM463 million in the services sector, of which RM100 million was in healthcare.

"In terms of manufacturing, Singapore is one of the top three investors in Iskandar Malaysia."

On a related matter, Ismail said Iskandar Malaysia is still aggressive in competing with other countries in the region and other growth corridors in Malaysia.

"We acknowledge there is competition from Vietnam and Indonesia but we still stand out, due to our good location and investment-ready climate."

Ismail said efforts must be made to return the Sultan Ismail Airport in Senai to its full potential as a regional aviation hub for passenger and cargo services as there are many growth clusters in Senai.

Ismail's comments come after a call by state Tourism and Domestic Trade Committee chairman Hoo Seong Chang for FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd to re-consider its decision to stop flights to Sabah and Sarawak from the airport.

Last edited:

lastresort

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gemas-Johor Baru double-tracking and electrification project to be completed in 2016

http://www.ktmb.com.my/images/stories/project2011/mapgmsjb.jpg

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...&if_height=635

KUALA LUMPUR: The final package of the Gemas-Johor Baharu double-tracking and electrification project is expected to be completed in 2016, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha.

He said the double-tracking and electrification project between Ipoh-Padang Besar will be completed by the end of 2013 and the Seremban-Gemas line by next year.

"We have finished the double-tracking and electrification project from Kuala Lumpur-Ipoh and also from Kuala Lumpur-Seremban. At the moment, the Seremban- Gemas route is almost 80 per cent complete.

"For the Ipoh-Padang Besar project, I think it is about 70 per cent complete.

"The completion of the final package will also complete the link with Thailand in the north and Singapore in the south," he told reporters after the launch of the 33rd Asean Railway Chief Executive Officers' (CEOs) Conference 2011 here today.

Meanwhile, Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) president Dr Aminuddin Adnan said the company had purchased 38 train sets from China.

"The first six-car train sets arrived last month and another eight sets will be delivered by year-end. All 38 sets will be in Malaysia by May next year," he said.

He said the government has allocated RM1.895 billion to purchase the train sets.

Aminuddin said KTMB also had sent its staff to serve the Mecca Metro from last year and aims to venture into more business opportunities by collaborating with other countries.

He also said through this initiative, the staff would gain more knowledge and experience. - BERNAMA

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add on to bro abugumgum's earlier message about MACS.

Bros, its a great time to do this. Its right outside Jusco near the Lavender cake shop, its very near to the supermarket portion of Jusco.
Just went to recce and brought the family to do it yesterday.

You just need to bring your passport and RM 30, they are open only up to 7pm unfortunately.
You need to be there personally though and they will scan both of your index (pointing) fingers.
You don't need photographs, S&P or even photocopies of VISA or fill up any form. They will scan
the photograph on your passport and use it for your MACS application.
They will do it for you. Just sit there, fill in your name and particulars and relax. Wait 10 minutes and you
are done :smile:

As bro abugumgum said, for new registrants, they even have a lucky draw.

Crystal, i would highly recommend you doing this and bringing in a relative so that they can see things for themselves and with the convenience
of MACS, it might be easier for them to come in.

Hi Bro Wuqi
I am on MACS for 1.5 yrs liao .... hee , I go msia weekly to pump petrol , makan and shopping ...
My mum and sis has MACS too , now have to bring another sis family to do macs.

Thanks for sharing the closure time!

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Investing in Nusajaya

Bros who frequent Ah Mengs car repair shop (Overseas Tyre, its yellow Michellin signboard) located near the Station One cafe.
Please do me a favour. When you are going to service/repair your car with him and you want a discount, please say to him very
nicely but loudly "Satu Malaysia" This is his pet phrase and for saying that, he will give you a special discount. :biggrin:

I think last sat i went here to buy windscreen wiper , only 1 shop seliing michellin tyres right ? slightly behind one station . even went there for afternoon tea break after viewing house.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
For mozzie management, whether in my Singapore or Jb place, once a month we will use a chemical spray, which my hub got it from the nursery n mix it with water n use a pump to spray around the garden, I should said the smells stinks for a while, but it really keeps thaem away. I am staying very close to the reserve.

there were some guys hired to fog the whole precinct (BWV) a few days ago, so I guess that's covered. :smile:

aangsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
studios fully pre-booked! as the sales rep told me.

Any idea what you could get for RM500K ?
Location is quite a distance away from main road, should be nice and quiet just wondering whether it has a good view of the surrounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.