SG Live Bet
SG Tipster
Page 9 of 763 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in JB

My Reputation Points: 1792 / Power: 11

Default Re: Living in JB

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRevan View Post
    I have friends who are M'sians working here on high salary and they too expressed interest to be SG citizens & lived here. I guess this statement is true to an extent.

What people say and ACTUALLY do are 2 different things

Why would Malaysian's want convert to Sporeans As Spore PRs they can already work & buy property. As Malaysians they can do so in both Malaysia & Spore.

I have Malaysian colleagues & they are very diplomatic about not criticising Spore. To the casual observer they appear to be just like any Sporean.
    Share on Twitter

My Reputation Points: 62 / Power: 6

Useful forum for those intending to make Msia their alternative home - http://www.my2home.info/
    Most of the forumers are non Singaporean foreigners.
    Share on Twitter

My Reputation Points: 967 / Power: 7

Quote Originally Posted by DarthRevan View Post
    I have friends who are M'sians working here on high salary and they too expressed interest to be SG citizens & lived here. I guess this statement is true to an extent.
    Are u kidding? Hope u are not.

At my workplace, I know a couple dozen of Msian workers. From executives to operation assts post. Most are PRs. But NONE of them renounce their Msian citizenship.

Now if I am given the priviledges of owning dual citizenship, why would I renounce my msian citizenship?

Side track abit here. I also know of Chinese Indonesians. Some of them complain they are being marginalised, discriminated and their properties were destroyed, ransacked and looted during Suharto's downfall. But how many of them (I mean well off Indon Chinese) renounce their citizenship and become Spore citizen? Dont be surprised they would tell you they still prefer to stay in Indonesia despite being discriminated.

Quote Originally Posted by wuqi256 View Post
    They wouldn't do it, it was from them and other folks that i slowly learnt that, SG is not a place to "live", its a good place to "work" in.
    Precisely!

Not only Msians, even some PRCs too. They would tell u very stressful staying in Sillypore. Cost of living very high. Told me after earning and having enough saving, they would go back to China and start some small business...
    Last edited by whoami; 05-09-2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Share on Twitter

My Reputation Points: 100122 / Power: 206

Quote Originally Posted by toyohon View Post
    Useful forum for those intending to make Msia their alternative home - http://www.my2home.info/
    Most of the forumers are non Singaporean foreigners.
    Hi Toyohon, many thanks indeed for the useful information, i hope that more folks hear the news and know of their options.

There are of course other places other than MY but i would think its the most accessible and easiest to kickstart a hinterland.
    Share on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Are u kidding? Hope u are not.

At my workplace, I know a couple dozen of Msian workers. From executives to operation assts post. Most are PRs. But NONE of them renounce their Msian citizenship.

Now if I am given the priviledges of owning dual citizenship, why would I renounce my msian citizenship?

Side track abit here. I also know of Chinese Indonesians. Some of them complain they are being marginalised, discriminated and their properties were destroyed, ransacked and looted during Suharto's downfall. But how many of them (I mean well off Indon Chinese) renounce their citizenship and become Spore citizen? Dont be surprised they would tell you they still prefer to stay in Indonesia despite being discriminated.

Precisely!

Not only Msians, even some PRCs too. They would tell u very stressful staying in Sillypore. Cost of living very high. Told me after earning and having enough saving, they would go back to China and start some small business...
    Agree, which was why i found it strange that they would want to be citizens here. From guys i know who are from US/Italy/Germany all the way to Indonesians/Malaysians, i have actually not heard of many who would give up their citizenship. When i asked a few of them the question to convert many years back ago, they looked at me as if i was mad to even suggest that.
    Share on Twitter

My Reputation Points: 20 / Power: 0

wuqi,
    i think u ought to request nicely to admin to help move this thread to emmigration matters.
    it's a useful thread for those who thinking of relocating to JB

btw, should one consider home that are still under construction or it's safer to buy completed home? thks!
    Share on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by lewlian88 View Post
    wuqi,
    i think u ought to request nicely to admin to help move this thread to emmigration matters.
    it's a useful thread for those who thinking of relocating to JB

btw, should one consider home that are still under construction or it's safer to buy completed home? thks!
    It is definitely safer to buy completed projects. However, if this is not possible, then look for projects undertaken by more reputable developers, bigger ones like Setia Group, MahSing, Gamuda, etc...
    Share on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by lewlian88 View Post
    Pros and cons. If its a completed home, be prepared to pay premium at least 50% and more (than the original price) if the location is good. If were to buy one that the developer in the process of launching the project, one may get discounted price and legal, stamp fees absorbed by them. But the risk side is during the process the developer may go bust and u will be in deep shit!. So rule of thumb, get a developer which is a public listed one or a well known sendiran berhad.
    Share on Twitter

Agree with the folks here, its always good to check on the developer or if you are unsure, then buy completed units direct from the developer. For me, i always go for developed ones in unfamiliar lands.

Bro Whoami, I just checked out Casa AXXXX, a place at Danga bay for a semi-D type . All 3 types were sold out so only those subsale/resale units left. I saw 2 and was quite happy, got jetty behind and floor is parquet.

Wanted to see more units and told him i can pay deposit but surprisingly, the agent told me quite a bit of horror stories about there:

1. Finishing bad, timber skirting, etc - Developer never rectified
    2. Developer promised a full scale olympic sized swimming pool, never delivered.
    3. Very tightly packed in
    4. Smell from the Danga river especially if its not cleaned and temperatures go up, etc.

As such, easy to get a place, can get a Semi-D even at 530-550k. Actual prices is pretty good.

He recommended Eco Setia instead or look at other developments in Danga bay.
    Share on Twitter

Bro Whoami, I just checked out Casa AXXXX, a place at Danga bay for a semi-D type . All 3 types were sold out so only those subsale/resale units left. I saw 2 and was quite happy, got jetty behind and floor is parquet.

Wanted to see more units and told him i can pay deposit but surprisingly, the agent told me quite a bit of horror stories about there:

1. Finishing bad, timber skirting, etc - Developer never rectified
    2. Developer promised a full scale olympic sized swimming pool, never delivered.
    3. Very tightly packed in
    4. Smell from the Danga river especially if its not cleaned and temperatures go up, etc.

As such, easy to get a place, can get a Semi-D even at 530-550k. Actual prices is pretty good.

He recommended Eco Setia instead or look at other developments in Danga bay.
    Yes bro. Forgot to mention. Casa Axxx was completed sold out. They dont even have the time to have an official launch. Now subsale going at M$650k and above. But the Senior Sales ex with Danga Bay name Kelvin, told me to consider DangaBay view apt for investment. He quoted me 360K (but from properties website it was quoted 320K) Even the subsale for Casa Axxx which he quoted i.e. M$650K, I reckon hes marking up the price too. Everyone want to make fast bucks ya.

Hmm..didnt know abt those unpleasant stories. Thought the developer is a well known one that ties up with the royal family.

Eco Setia...on the high end price lah. If not in a hurry can wait for the 38 storey condo at Danga Bay...
    Share on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by whoami View Post
    Yes bro. Forgot to mention. Casa Axxx was completed sold out. They dont even have the time to have an official launch. Now subsale going at M$650k and above. But the Senior Sales ex with Danga Bay name Kelvin, told me to consider DangaBay view apt for investment. He quoted me 360K (but from properties website it was quoted 320K) Even the subsale for Casa Axxx which he quoted i.e. M$650K, I reckon hes marking up the price too. Everyone want to make fast bucks ya.

Hmm..didnt know abt those unpleasant stories. Thought the developer is a well known one that ties up with the royal family.

Eco Setia...on the high end price lah. If not in a hurry can wait for the 38 storey condo at Danga Bay...
    Sure no problem, i actually saw a few guys selling for around $530k-550k when i googled yesterday. Understand of course, folks needs some fast bucks. Oh, there are a few projects, for the Eco Setia garden, you can still get single storey terraces at about 200 plus k?

http://www.spsetia.com.my/setia_eco_...fs_messius.htm
    Share on Twitter

My Reputation Points: 79 / Power: 7

Quote Originally Posted by michaely View Post
    Bro Wuqi & all, thank you very much for starting this wonderful thread. It's really helpful for people like me who can't wait to leave this country.

Actually, I'm single and in the process of buying a 4-rm HDB flat, but due to the high price and absurd cash-over-valuation that sellers are asking for, I've more or less given up hope of ever getting a house of my own in this expensive country.

I think Horizon Hills is a very good development and will definitely go over there to have a look, but I have one question about the customs.

I wonder will there be any problem if I continue to work in S'pore but go in & out of Malaysia almost everyday?

Thanks in advance!
    Hey,
    Why dont you start with 3room flat? must you buy 4 room flat for a reason?
    Share on Twitter

My Reputation Points: 19 / Power: 0

Hi Bro Longlicky

There are 2 reasons why I would only buy a 4-room flat:

1) If I buy a 3-rrm flat, I can only rent out 1 room at about $500/month, which is just enough to cover my monthly instalment. But if I buy a 4-rm, I can rent out 2 rooms at $1000/mth which is enough to cover the monthly instalment and some extra cash every month. So even if I get retrenched after 40, I'm still able to survive on the rental, at least don't have to borrow money or sell house like others.

2) If I start off with buying a 3-room, there is no chance to downgrade in future and get some cash out of it. So while I'm still at my prime and still holding a job, I'll buy a flat at my maximum comfort level. If I get retrenched, I can downgrade with some cash on hand.

I hope I've answered your question, please do give me some advice too.

Thank you!
    Share on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by michaely View Post
    Hi Bro Longlicky

There are 2 reasons why I would only buy a 4-room flat:

1) If I buy a 3-rrm flat, I can only rent out 1 room at about $500/month, which is just enough to cover my monthly instalment. But if I buy a 4-rm, I can rent out 2 rooms at $1000/mth which is enough to cover the monthly instalment and some extra cash every month. So even if I get retrenched after 40, I'm still able to survive on the rental, at least don't have to borrow money or sell house like others.

2) If I start off with buying a 3-room, there is no chance to downgrade in future and get some cash out of it. So while I'm still at my prime and still holding a job, I'll buy a flat at my maximum comfort level. If I get retrenched, I can downgrade with some cash on hand.

I hope I've answered your question, please do give me some advice too.

Thank you!
    From the scenario you have described, its understandable and actually makes sense financially. You are just catering for extingencies.

For travel to and fro JB, you can actually take bus CW3 from Bukit Indah to Jurong East and then take MRT/drive from a car park there on a daily basis. Actually to stretch dollar even further, Thailand is also worth considering however foreigners cannot own land there. You can only own condos but interestingly not the land it is built on.(90 year leases)
    Last edited by wuqi256; 08-09-2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Share on Twitter

Bros here, just got a very funny comment from one of my mom's friends(RC member) when my mom accidentally let on the fact that we are all moving.

According to this learned friend, we locals cannot buy any overseas properties at all. She is spreading panic amongst the aunties even at the coffeeshop. She claimed that those who bought overseas properties and are found out will have their flats confiscated without recourse by HDB. Claimed this is the newest law and no one should buy property out of Singapore, JB included.

If this is really the case, then shouldn't folks who have bought places in US/UK/AU, etc be all panicky now if they still have HDB flats here? I even know of a PRC who was educated for free by our dear government, was not bonded, became PR and in the end after that went over to Australia, all the while renting out his 5 room flat in Jurong area for years. He is still doing so as far as i know.

How about those who came from overseas then, do they need to give up their residences in their respective countries in order to buy a HDB flat? What kind of logic is this, i told my mum not to listen to her as we know this woman's own son is in Canada and not coming back.

She even claimed our government has links all over the world and can check SG ownership for all properties in the whole world. Global jurisdiction? Wow. More power to her i say!!

Really hypocritical to ask folks not to move and scare them with fake stories/claims when her own children has moved on and left her alone here.
    Share on Twitter

I googled for it, the only possible way is here:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10206p....s?OpenDocument

But this only applies to those who took the HDB grant, etc and restricts for the first 5 years of ownership, once one is out of the 5 years, its basically not an issue anymore. You can still sublet the place, just let HDB know.
    Share on Twitter

From the scenario you have described, its understandable and actually makes sense financially. You are just catering for extingencies.

For travel to and fro JB, you can actually take bus CW3 from Bukit Indah to Jurong East and then take MRT/drive from a car park there on a daily basis. Actually to stretch dollar even further, Thailand is also worth considering however foreigners cannot own land there. You can only own condos but interestingly not the land it is built on.(90 year leases)

Hi Bro Wuqi

That's why me now in a dilemma, I have 2 options:

1) Buy a 4-rm flat at the current crazy prices, a pigeon hole with a balance lease of about 80 years and rent it out at about $1000/mth.

or

2) Buy a Horizon Hill unit at about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of a 4-rm flat, freehold landed property but no rental income.

Really can't make up my mind, please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance!
    Share on Twitter

michaely
    Why not do many has done? Rent out your HDB in Spore and live in your landed home in JB?
    Share on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by toyohon View Post
    michaely
    Why not do many has done? Rent out your HDB in Spore and live in your landed home in JB?

Hi Bro Toyohon

Thank you for your suggestion.

To be honest, how I wish I can do what you suggested, have 2 properties, stay in one, rent out the other one.

But my cash on hand is just enough to pay for the Cash-over-valuation (if I buy a HDB) or pay for the 20% down-payment (if I buy the unit at Horizon Hill).

Moreover, I don't want to over-leverage, I'm already in my mid-30s and at the look of things happening in this "hotel" .......... opps! country, one has to be mentally prepared to be jobless after 40.

Thank you!
    Share on Twitter

In that case, depending on your family's needs/background (children (school going?), old folks, wife), you may hold off your HDB purchase until the market cools down. If in urgent need of a home, and depending on circumstances, you can consider a landed home in JB first while building up your CPF nest for a HDB later on.
    Share on Twitter

Thread Information