• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vancouver A Good Place to Emigrate To!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published August 1, 2009
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>LETTER FROM VANCOUVER
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Where people really enjoy life
It is not the perfect place but it is a place where you can come and just be whoever or whatever you want to be without worrying about fitting in.

<TABLE class=storyLinks border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=136 align=right><TBODY><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Email this article</TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Print article </TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Feedback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
BT_WEEKEND_1_CURRENT_LETTER1.jpg

Kobchai Phadoemchit
Student at University
of British Columbia

THEY say a picture is worth a thousand words so I won't delve into describing the picturesque setting that Vancouver lies in. The best word I can think of to describe Vancouver, which was recently voted the most liveable city in the world, would be 'diversity'.

You can watch hippies lighting up a joint while beating on their djembe drums, then have the roar of a passing Lamborghini catch your attention and check out a bunch of Asian girls decked out with the latest in Chanel handbags. On the other hand it is possibly the only place in the world where you could play a round of golf in the morning and by the afternoon be boarding down the side of one of the local mountains with a view of the ocean on your right and downtown Vancouver right in front of you.

Come to Vancouver and whenever you're at a loss for a topic of conversation, just start with the weather. Vancouverites love talking about it, simply because it always changes, and just to make it more exciting, the weather men never get it right. I've experienced snow one day and three days later I am out and about in a t-shirt and shorts.

<TABLE class=picBoxL cellSpacing=2 width=100 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR class=caption><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>One of the epiphanies that I've had in Vancouver is that I do not know how to fully utilise and handle the freedom that I've never had. This is a city which allows and encourages the freedom of expression, choices, ideals, cultures, philosophies and movement. In a sense, I didn't really know what to do with it or how I could completely take advantage of it. After two years I find that I am still learning how to really use it to my advantage.
However, this freedom also means that the people here are active about protecting their rights. And if there are enough people who are not happy about something, there will be some form of protest. One that I saw was a protest against carbon emissions from cars by environmentalists - a good 5,000 who rode around downtown on their bikes naked one afternoon.
Freedom takes other forms, too. You won't find any foreign workers paving roads at 3am but rather, unionised workers who insist that they only work five days a week, eight normal office hours a day while getting paid $40 an hour. The result: roads the length of Holland village take months to pave rather than days.
I can't speak for the rest of Canada but in Vancouver I find that people really know how to appreciate and enjoy life, to enjoy the surroundings and to take things a tad bit slower so they have the time to take a step back and just get lost in the moment. Maybe it is the mix of the ocean breeze and the mountain air all coming together, but I think that it is because people here have learnt to live, rather than living to work, which is the mindset you see so much of in other metropolitan cities. With an eclectic mix of people and cultures, it is always going to be difficult to get everybody to get along so Vancouverites have come up with a compromise. People here are very friendly. But stay here long enough and you realise that the friendliness seems as though it has been perfectly rehearsed time and time again to the point where it feels genuine even though it is fake. It is like having to be in a constant state of obligated happiness so that everybody gets along in order to have a civil society. That is why the individual pockets of different races and cultures here are like a big part of huge mosaic. Alone, they don't make sense but together they make Vancouver what it is.
One very other important part about Vancouver's diversity is in its cuisine. Having a huge immigrant population, the food here is simply quite amazing with the added benefit of variety. I've met Japanese immigrants who, for the first time in their lives, can afford to eat toro on a weekly basis. I've had burritos and empanadas for lunch and then tandoori chicken and naan for dinner. Not to forget dim sum featuring har gows the size of a child's fist and steak-like char siew and the list goes on...
It is not the perfect place but it is a place where you can come and just be whoever or whatever you want to be without worrying about fitting in. It is a city where people will take the time to pursue the things they believe in, be it protesting against carbon emissions to just spending a weekend admiring the scenery.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vancouver Condos

Key Location Information

• Climate: Temperate
  • Offical Languages: English
  • Setting: Urban
  • Population: 611,869
  • Currency: Canadian Dollar (CAD)
  • Key Attraction: Robson Square, BC Place Stadium, Yaletown, Plaza of Nations
Vancouver3.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vancouvers a great place definitely better than some Lee controlled island :smile:

Its just a quick drive to the US to cities like Seattle. Its like San Francisco with so many oriental faces.:biggrin:

For lesser mortals Vancouver is cheaper than Spore. British Columbia does not tax food bought at supermkt/mkt, medicine, child clothing & supplies, ... There's no ERP, COE. water conservation tax, ... Don't forget they have minimum wage :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
only problem i have with canada is WINTER cold like f888....

Thats why Vancouver is popular among asians including Sporeans. In winter it rains & rarely snows. Whenever it snows it soon melts away because of the +ve temperatures. With global warming the weather is getting even milder.

In Calgary where they held the winter 1988 Olympic games, they are having trouble getting enough snow because of changing weather patterns :eek:

For those into winter sports they can drive to nearby Whistler or to the Rockies at Banff,Alberta where theres lotsa snow.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PAP knows how much better Canada, Aust, US,.... is to Spore.
They feel compelled to counter any positive posting with scare tactics :biggrin:

Sporeans know the reality in Spore.

With so many things going wrong in Spore how are the lesser mortals expected to survive? The hordes of foreigners will continue, driving the wages down.

Ms. Ho & co are still behind the lost making Temasek. Expect more losses & price increases to recoup these losses.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PAP knows how much better Canada, Aust, US,.... is to Spore.
They feel compelled to counter any positive posting with scare tactics :biggrin:

Sporeans know the reality in Spore.

With so many things going wrong in Spore how are the lesser mortals expected to survive? The hordes of foreigners will continue, driving the wages down.

Ms. Ho & co are still behind the lost making Temasek. Expect more losses & price increases to recoup these losses.

Like what I wrote before in this forum, every country has its good and bad. Some of the more developed countries are more enlightened in giving people dignity and choices. At the end of the day, it is YOU who decide. YOU will ultimately find your place to live, with your circle of friends, etc.

I migrated long enough to experience all kind of feelings ...from relief to escape from Singapore, delight in experiencing the new country, depression when I discover the bad things ......... and now, happiness that I am valued as a person. I have a voice and I have people who support my views. So unlike Singapore where the living is really shallow. Enjoying life takes on a different meaning. I am more tolorant, and more assertive in staking my rights.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vancouver tax very high

But S'pore HDB tax super high

Oh Canada is alot like Australia - but better in many ways

Also if you want, you can get to the US from there

Many Chinese people use Vancouver as the launching point to enter the US, where taxes are much lower

american

Alfrescian
Loyal
Canada is like the Polytechinic in the 1990s. Those people with 'A' Levels whose results are not good enough to enter NUS will enter the polytechnics. :p

american

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to mention that Canada is full of PRCs and kelingkia like the "Nice Guy Shot Dead" in the newspaper...:eek: