• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Before October 2010 if everything goes according to plan. Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto are some of my options; not finalised yet.

So few options? Why not consider Edmonton where you can see our good friend Ah Chee. He might also buy you chicken soup and bryani rice.

There are also cities like Hamilton, London, Windsor etc. in Ontario. The advantage of these cities is because they are smaller, they are much safer and cheaper than a major city like Toronto. There are ample job opportunities in these cities because there is a large industrial base in the Great Lakes area. Most MNCs in Canada are based in this area.

Hock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh, Ah Hock, I did say violence is averted in Vancouver. But the white supremacists AKA Aryan Guard did show up in Calgary.

This year is a bit more tame, but previous years, the violence is real :(

aiyah auntie, I responded to your Vancouver news leh. All these just to release pressure from safety valves. In S'pore, no release, MP kena hamtam,
also got burn one.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi all, currently in sin and will be doing my landing likely in Toronto this June. I am still not sure if Toronto is the right place to start. Hence will appreciate any advice from you kinded soul. Also if you are also planning on landing over the next couple of months, hope you can get in touch with me to share our findings. Kind rgds to all.

YES! Toronto is the right city.

It's housing is "affortable" and food is about 30% cheaper than those in Edmonton.

It has shorter winter ...snow melts faster than Edmonton and Calgary. In fact it is at the SAME latitute as northern Califonia.

There is NO earthquake fear like in VanCouver.

It is the biggest city in Canada thus it has most of the world-class amenities...look at their City Hall, Main City Library, Museums, the Toronto Stock Market...WOW! In fact most of Canada's banks and life insurance companies HQ are in Bond Street area in Toronto. It is the heart of the nation.

It has the LONGEST STREET in the world!

Toronto is near to the USA border and within a few hours of driving distance to New York City....thus you can visit the Big Apple.

Honestly 19 years ago my family shold have immigrated to Toronto instead of Edmonton, which as we get older we are feeling the cold winter weather...cannot take it....minus 45 degree C!!!!

When you reach there, go to the nearest Catholic Social Service and tell them you are a new immigrant from Singapore and they will direct you to all the relevant departments and social network to give you a head start.

Find out online the Malaysia and Singapore Association and you might find some helpful people there. Ex-Singaporeans there generally understand your reason of leaving the shit hole and they would try to help you so that you will not need to return to Sinkapoor.

Please write me to tell me your experience: B. CHAN
9090-51 AVe
Edmonton, AB
Canada T6E 5X4

We might emigrate from Edmonton to Toronto and then we might need your advice. My 13 year-old son will be in Ontario and passing by Toronto with his school band this May and he will tell us his first impression of the city.

Good luck!

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Asychee,

Thanks and I have PMed you with my contact.

I've learned from this forum that you have been very helpful towards quite a number of new immigrants to Canada with your advise and network. IMHO you are doing a great service to all and I am grateful for your help and do wish you well.

Best regards

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi B Chan,

Despite the well known cold in Canada, already I felt warmed by your big Wecome to Canada message as well as your good luck wishes. We need both i.e. the warm welcome and the good luck very much in my endeavour to relocate to Canada.

Yes, Toronto seem to be the right city and if you don't mine my asking, is there any reason(s) or 'pull' factor(s) on why you choose to settle in Edmonton earlier on?

Your sincerity in helping others deserves my respect and my firiend, I am sure we will go a long way together.

Guess what, we could very well end up as neighbours since you are planning to emigrate to Toronto as well.

Yes, I will keep you posted on my experience on settling in Toronto and hope to reciprocate your kind actions.

Best regards to you and your family

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ontario's Top Investment Towns Named For 2009 - 2014
National Independent Real Estate Research Company
Releases Findings of Ontario Economic Analysis

"Technology Triangle remains the Number One place to invest in Ontario"

Oct. 2nd - The Real Estate Investment Network’s (REIN™) release of Top Ontario Investment Towns analyzes the current and future prospects for real estate investment opportunities in Ontario.The 108 page report states that recent market correction provides buying opportunities for home owners and investors; however, only in select regions of the province.It identifies which areas will outperform in the coming decade and finds that the Kitchener Waterloo Cambridge area is the top region in Ontario in which to invest in real estate.

REIN™ is Canada's leading real estate research, education, and consulting organization for the last 17 years and its latest report is an analysis of key economic fundamentals for investors and home owners across North America. The in-depth research is based on the latest statistics, economic and social trends, and on-the-ground reports from REIN™'s research staff, members and industry professionals.

Today's Market Turmoil means Opportunity for Investors & First Time Home-Buyers
"Despite today's continuing market turmoil, our research indicates that there are more buying opportunities now than in the last few years, meaning more investment options and better yields" said report lead author Don R. Campbell, REIN™ President and author of the best-selling books Real Estate Investing in Canada and 97 Tips For Real Estate Investing.

"With today’s mixed market signals it is critical that investors and home-buyers complete that extra level of due diligence.We are no longer in the Tiger Woods years of real estate investing, where you won no matter what you bought. Now we get back to market reality where economic fundamentals, not speculation, will once again play the key role in whether a property increases or drops in value. The years of skyrocketing prices are finally over; however, over the long term the economic fundamentals of these key regions will help their property values dramatically outperform other regions of the province."

The Top Ontario Investment Towns report list:
1) Technology Triangle:Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge
2) Hamilton
3) Simcoe Shores:Barrie- Orillia
4) Brampton
5) Durham Region – Whitby, Pickering, and Ajax
6) Ottawa
7) Brantford
8) Toronto
9) Vaughan
10) Whitchurch-Stouffville

KWC on Top of the list
The communities of Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge, known collectively as Canada’s Technology Triangle, are becoming known as a competitive area in which to build high-tech businesses. The area is so strong economically that the Real Estate Investment Network™ in its past research has dubbed it the “Economic Alberta of Ontario”. This continues to prove true as the region was once again selected as the number-one investment town in Ontario. Within a 24 hours drive, the Technology Triangle has access to more than 60% of Canada’s population and 40% of the U.S. population. The reinvention of the region’s economy in the last few years has lead to investment in the information technology sector, a venture which has protected the Triangle from the steep increase in job losses experienced in many other Ontario communities. A commitment to infrastructure improvements and transportation projects will also help drive the economy and the real estate market in this area.

Breaking through its past, Hamilton jumps up with a bright future
Hamilton is poised to outperform most the province as it breaks through its past reputation and grabs a hold of the future.The continuing diversification of the City’s economy coupled with the increase in accessibility provided by the transportation improvements provides a strong economic base from which to work.Hamilton’s economy, in just a few short years will be unrecognizable when compared to the past decades.This renewal will help drive demand for real estate (rentals as well as ownership) in the City, especially in older neighbourhoods going through transition.

Vaughan will benefit tremendously from increased housing values due to transportation projects
With the largest job growth in all of Canada between 2001 and 2006, the economy of Vaughan is becoming increasingly more diverse. Its extensive transportation network, available land, and the lowest commercial and industrial property taxes in the GTA continue to attract new businesses to the area. The City of Vaughan has become a preferred location for investment, leading the country’s cities in the per capita of building permits issued. Once all the region’s transportation and other infrastructure projects are completed (like the expansion of the TTC Spadina Line and the construction of the Vaughan Corporate Centre), Vaughan will be among the most accessible regions in the Greater Toronto Area; this combined with the fact that the City has the lowest commercial and industrial taxes in the GTA, will drive demand for both residential and commercial/industrial property.

Scarborough has the best opportunities in the City of Toronto
Toronto continues to be a major economic engine for Canada, as it continues to be the financial and head office capital of the country. This, combined with a strong growth of immigration to the city will help to provide an ongoing source of both rental and ownership demand in the housing market. Some regions of the city will prove to be provincial leaders, while other regions will lag sadly behind. Investors in the Toronto market must focus on areas with future potential, while at the same time ignoring past neighbourhood reputations. One breakout region in coming years will be Scarborough. With home prices consistently below other regions of Toronto and a planned Rapid Transit expansion, the region will experience rapid growth.

The lastest update of the above report shows that Toronto property is in a bubble. It will be deflated late 2011 - 2014 when building projects comeing on line will be greater than the take up rate.
Note: Always qualify the person giving you advise / advice. Ask about his track record.

malxsin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi B. Chan and Asychee,

It seems the recommendation to move to Toronto is high but I noted that both of you are in Edmonton.

Are there any reasons why you have chosen Edmonton over Toronto?

Pardon my ignorant if these had been covered elsewhere in this forum.

I am also wondering why no one from Toronto is active in this forum, any idea, anyone?

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
It seems the recommendation to move to Toronto is high but I noted that both of you are in Edmonton.

Are there any reasons why you have chosen Edmonton over Toronto?

Pardon my ignorant if these had been covered elsewhere in this forum.

I am also wondering why no one from Toronto is active in this forum, any idea, anyone?

In my application for CA PR i was originally supposed to land in Toronto. At this point of time, i would not advise landing in Toronto as Alberta will be the province that will lead Canada out for Recession. While waiting for the PR, i came across this RBC report, i found about about http://www.rbc.com/economics/market/pdf/house.pdf
I kept an open mind and look at other areas as well. It was showing that Edmonton was poised for a take off in Property prices (supply was very limited). Only province where Financing could come in the form of "assumable" mortgage ie. I pay the different between the sale price and mortgage to seller. Seller walk out & i walk in - simple as that. True enough after taking over the house, the prices gone up by C$150,000 within 6 months. I leverage on our job, biz & warchest so far in 3 years i acquired 6 houses that is cashflowing. In my last job, i volunteered to be layoff at the earliest sign of downturn and have never work for anyone eversince.

ok Back to your question, the second report: http://www.finance.gov.ab.ca/aboutalberta/spotlights/2009_0903_demographic_trends_housing_market.pdf

In migration to Alberta (provincial & international) was showing a very healthy growth. Good in migration = jobs availablity, Oil sand expansion - mining, refining. It's effect will be resounding for many years to come (C$180 billion) committed and another $100 billion coming onstream when the economy start to pick up again.
http://www.neb-one.gc.ca/clf-nsi/rn...lngs20152006/pprtntsndchllngs20152006-eng.pdf

Landing is best done at the place where you will find it easy to establish yourself. Once, you are established - you are in a stronger position to move inland. So far for me, Edmonton property are undervalued - opportunites abound for me.

When i landed here, i was told that WORK is the path to success, renting a apartment and buying a house later is the way to go. I qualified the person telling me this, he is still staying in the same house and did not move ahead & working on 2 jobs despite being highly educated. My SWOT & road map tell me otherwise.

I say this not to impressed you but to highlight to you not to blindly follow but to know yourself and have a game plan. Dont let the surrounding "noise" distract or alter your quest to achieve the life that you aspire.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
At this point of time, i would not advise landing in Toronto as Alberta will be the province that will lead Canada out for Recession.

Hi just to butt in a bit, if a person is very cash-rich (from selling their HDB and withdrawing CPF etc) and can hold out for a while without regular income (hard to find job due to recession), don't you think the recession might present an opportunity to pick up some under-valued properties?

He would then be in a good position to take advantage of the growth which accompanies the economic recovery.

What do you think?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi just to butt in a bit, if a person is very cash-rich (from selling their HDB and withdrawing CPF etc) and can hold out for a while without regular income (hard to find job due to recession), don't you think the recession might present an opportunity to pick up some under-valued properties?

He would then be in a good position to take advantage of the growth which accompanies the economic recovery.

What do you think?

Spot on ! I tried to encourage a few of my mates to take up more risks during the recession time.. sadly most of them are risk adverse.. Some consider me a failure bcoz I owe too much money.. :( These ppl fail to realize, all I need is to sell my chickens and I'll have all my cash back..Easy ! For 9 mths, I make almost 300-500k.. I can retire with comfort by moving a few km away from my primary hse.. or return to my Jurong HDB. Ppl treat their house as a hse.. I treat it like a commodity/investment :wink:

AngKuKuih

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with Axe168. A lot of Singaporeans that I know treat their houses as a place to stay. They usually like to buy a new or build a new house. They do not protect their place of abode. As for me, my place of abode is a place where my family can stay in and at a same time it is an investment. From the perspective of investment for the place of abode, at the end of the day, it is the land that is worth $$$$$ not the house. I always like to buy an old house. When I pay for my place of abode of $725K, the house is worth $30K, the rest of the land price. In addition, I chose to buy the house near a heritage cemetry and therefore do not have to compete with the rich Chinese migrants. Now the house has appreciated. It would be about $1.3mil. now.

AngKuKuih

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with Axe168. A lot of Singaporeans that I know treat their houses as a place to stay. They usually like to buy a new or build a new house. They do not protect their place of abode. As for me, my place of abode is a place where my family can stay in and at a same time it is an investment. From the perspective of investment for the place of abode, at the end of the day, it is the land that is worth $$$$$ not the house. I always like to buy an old house. When I pay for my place of abode of $725K, the house is worth $30K, the rest of the land price. In addition, I chose to buy the house near a heritage cemetry and therefore do not have to compete with the rich Chinese migrants. Now the house has appreciated. It would be about $1.3mil. now.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

To sum up, you clearly understand the basic principle... "Land appreciates and building depreciates".. your well sought location is worth a gold!.. Once a guru told me " To know whether it is a good tree, you have to look at its fruits, likewise, to know who is successful, you have to look at his wealth"..........

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
To sum up, you clearly understand the basic principle... "Land appreciates and building depreciates".. your well sought location is worth a gold!.. Once a guru told me " To know whether it is a good tree, you have to look at its fruits, likewise, to know who is successful, you have to look at his wealth"..........

Hey bro, hi 5 and agreed with the above. Sometimes it is so simple nia but when it comes to taking action. The process will go into analysis to death + listening to unqualify "Old bird" immigrant that never even buy any other real estate than their own home.

To me it's all down to looking at the fundamentals and keeping it simple (sori "O" level nia dont have too much bandwidth between the ears). The other aspect is too strive for Passive Income rather than Earned Income. Financial Freedom = Passive Income is greater than Expenses. After that can have the time do the things that you want. Just my 2 cents.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey bro, hi 5 and agreed with the above. Sometimes it is so simple nia but when it comes to taking action. The process will go into analysis to death + listening to unqualify "Old bird" immigrant that never even buy any other real estate than their own home.

To me it's all down to looking at the fundamentals and keeping it simple (sori "O" level nia dont have too much bandwidth between the ears). The other aspect is too strive for Passive Income rather than Earned Income. Financial Freedom = Passive Income is greater than Expenses. After that can have the time do the things that you want. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, we have only 'O' level and Diploma nia.. and (I think) we are doing pretty well in real estate :smile: heehee...

Hey, I am thinking of properties in US California.. what do you think ? Hopefully by next year, I could fly over (visit my bro) and secure some investment opportunities over there.. I've read the investment book - 100k cash (LVR 70%) can secure 2-3 hses.. (Ahhhhh.. passive incomes.. hmmm..) Maybe invest a bit more can buy the whole street !~! hahahaha

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, we have only 'O' level and Diploma nia.. and (I think) we are doing pretty well in real estate :smile: heehee...

Hey, I am thinking of properties in US California.. what do you think ? Hopefully by next year, I could fly over (visit my bro) and secure some investment opportunities over there.. I've read the investment book - 100k cash (LVR 70%) can secure 2-3 hses.. (Ahhhhh.. passive incomes.. hmmm..) Maybe invest a bit more can buy the whole street !~! hahahaha

I belong to a R E investor Network - Studies have shown housing dip are not even hit the actual bottom yet. Still have quite a no. of "Cheong" mortgage have not mature yet, once they mature = another round of property dip. Although comparing to the peak, prices looks very salivating oredi.

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal

What do you think?

Undervalued properties are there all the time. It's just so happens that during a recession, properties compared to the peak looks cheap and more abundant.

Looks at it from this point of view

No action - No growth in wealth, what ever you holding will still be consumed by daily expenses.

Action - Take action by educating yourself 1st. Know your SWOT before commit to another property and always have 4 -5 exit strategy before you put in a single cent. (lots more but this just in a nutshell - sori 2 finger typist).

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
Action - Take action by educating yourself 1st. Know your SWOT before commit to another property and always have 4 -5 exit strategy before you put in a single cent. (lots more but this just in a nutshell - sori 2 finger typist).

yes I have taken some action already, now trying to plan for future purchases.

the previous purchases were at market value, now trying to learn something new.

any tips on identifying undervalued properties in a non-recession market? please share.