• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
About 5 years ago, I helped another Singaporean by a surname start with "C". Went even to fetch him from the airport and gve lots of advice on what to do....like getting driving licence, car insurance etc. Then there was some argument. We did not contact since..

Haha.. I did the same helped a fellow singaporean (bcoz I was bored during the 1st 6mths-12mths) who later accused me of being dodgy ;-( I did not see anything wrong of challenging the system, in particular there's an appeal or tribunal for final hearing.. He openly declared his Christian faith but behind his wife's back, he did all kinds of low level dirty stuff..

After the above incident, I never help anymore incomers.. They can kiss my ass.. hehe..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I cannot seem to understand why people have the chance to emigrate to oversea from Singapore just to do such illegal businesses and risk their families being deported as well right?

This Asychee must have made the Sporean community there so proud and popular.

I am still waiting for my immigration document approval.

I do not know what Asychee did, so I will not comment on that.
But the idea of greedy people preying on freshly arrived countrymen happens everywhere.
Unfortunately, Singaporeans are not always street-wise to these practices.
Eg. Some years back, I had been trying to convince a fellow Singaporean teacher that the a Family Trust was not something fantastic in Australia , but he would not listen and taught me back on how rich that Singaporean must be to operate a Trust.
Later, when he asked me for my contact number, I excused myself and ran as far away from him as possible.
If I am an opportunist, I will have con him. He smells like prey.

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check this out : The company own by Asychee and his wife was under investigation on his agency activities and the ordered under section 157 was passed by the court on 29th Sept 2010. This is a public information on the internet by the service of Alberta. (Government of Alberta)

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/pdf/directors-orders/Mabis_Recruitment_Agency-Sept-29-10.pdf

Alex Chee, Velma Veloria must immediately stop demanding or indirectly demanding or collecting a fee, reward or other compensation from a person who is seeking employment, or from a person for securing or endeavoring to secure employment for the person.

Ah Chee, I knew you were up to no good.

The safest cities in Canada are in Ontario and Quebec. (green in map).

The worst cities are in the west, with BC cities claiming the top 7 spots.

5089769751_680bcba7d6_b.jpg

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
OverseasFilipinoWorker said:
I don’t know if this is the right place for me to post this but I would like to warn all Filipino people in South Korea regarding Mabis Recruitment Agency owned by Velma Veloria and Alex Chee.

It was year 2009 when they have recruited OFWs for a job offer in Alberta Canada. Many were enticed and paid huge amount of money just to go to Canada. Some were illegally recruited by Maricel De Leon and Julius Posia who were both in Seoul and acting as Velma’s assistants.

OFWs even paid $2,000 initially to Velma and Alex without securing first their visa. Canadian Embassy in Seoul found out that the job offers of Mabis are all fake. Most of the people they have recruited were denied of a visa. Some even paid already but after they have discovered what happened.

Velma, Alex, Maricel and Julius were no where to be found. Those victims of illegal recruitment are currently filing a complaint in Service Alberta. In case you know someone who is a victim of Mabis Recruitment Agency, please inform them to file a complaint on this website http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1006.cfm

Let us help other OFWs and spread this news so that we can prevent them from suffering from illegal recruitment. Unfortunately, these OFWs cannot recover their money anymore since Velma and Alex are already hiding. I hope some organization in Seoul could help those OFWs who were a victim of Mabis Recruitment Agency.

It looks like this is a cheating case. Alex Chee took money from Filipinos for fake jobs.

Alex Chee made good money. Just learnt that, in an unrelated recruitment scam, he charges CAD$3,200 for each filipino he placed at Tim Hortons or other fast food joints.

Again, you can assume what was said about you all you want here, it is gathered of opinion online and offline. I am tired to even waste my time on some of the crap you said here. I just urge you to go fix up the issue of Kenny's house asap. I understand from him that his checks were paid out to you hence, you are the renovator. Knowing you, I hope you will not ask a commission from him for your trip just to visit him like you did before...
Have good thanks giving day.
To asychee:

You quoted: "Renovate the basement, he and his son can live rent mortgage free if the wrost case. However, being the cheap Sgean, he got renovation done on the whole basement (1200sq ft with washroom & laundry) for less than 10 K. The workmanship is ok but he picked the cheapest clearance material which the contractor and i warn him not to (eg. 7mm laminate instead on the 12mm)"

You made him spend $9K for the renovations when the actual bill was for only $5,900. You made a whopping $3,100 or 35% profit without any UPFRONT DISCLOSURE.

As for the executor of his estate, please CHECK again. That was when he was not aware of your under-handedness. Please don't paint yourself as a SAINT.

What a JOKE! You made Kenny spend $9K for the renovations when the actual bill was for $5,900. You made $3,100 without discLosing you were the so-called CONTRACTOR.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot seem to understand why people have the chance to emigrate to oversea from Singapore just to do such illegal businesses and risk their families being deported as well right?

This Asychee must have made the Sporean community there so proud and popular.

I am still waiting for my immigration document approval.

Wendy and all:

Again my name is Bernard CHAN living in Edmonton since mid 1991 after immigrated from Singapore.

I have been very active with Singapore immigrants since the start and many are my good clients trusting me with their retirement investments. It took me 7 years to earn my professional qualification as a Chartered Financial Consultant and the former Honourable Mayor of Emonton wrote an official letter to congraguate me for mbeing the "first Chinese" in Edmonton to achieve such a professional designation 10 years ago.

I do not do other sales and if I do earn any commissions or has any conflict of interest (like recommending someone to buy a house or car and get a "kick back" from the salespeople, we must disclose it to the client as stipulated by our Code of Ethics or else we could loose our licence and our hard-earned professional designation and even not covered by our Professional Liability Insurance.....it's that serious, period).

As far as I know I never heard of such practices by ex-Singaporeans who go around helping recent Singaporeans and then earn a "premium" out of the service or recommendation....not until this case.

This saddens me very much.

In teh yers leading to late 90s, many Singaporeans who came were not finacially well-off, thus we could not afford all these things like new cars, renovations etc. In short, we were "too poor" to be cheated.

But then I notice that in recent years....the last 5 years....Singaporeans who immigrate to Edmonton in particular are more like those going to VanCouver in the past since the 70s....loaded with money. In short, "rich enough" to be cheated. The worst is that they tend to look around and check al sorts of things and yet got cheated.

Before the year 2000, I yet heard of any Singaporeans who got the money to come and look-see then go back to Singapore to pack up. old guards like us just pack up and came to Edmonton.

I remember, my wife and I took our 3-year old daughter landed in the Edmonton International airport, then took a airport bus to a hotel. Stay there for 3 days and later rented an apartment which had NO furniture. We sleep on the floor for weeks before we know how to hunt around for furnitures in the garage sales and buying from the university students who are leaving.

So you see how can we be cheated. No wonder we did not meet any crooks.

Oh yea, there was a guy who so-call cheated us....we bought his car for $400 not knowing he bought it from another person for just $300! That $400 did work but whenever I turned my steering, it made a loud squiking noise, and I have to kick the passenger door to open it ....the diver's door was worse....I got to puch hard with my shouder and a few times I got to climb out from the window. At times, my whole battery can go off while driving and I got to drive without any lights in the dark Edmonton road.

would any crooks find it worth the while to cheat me?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wendy and all:

Oh yea, there was a guy who so-call cheated us....we bought his car for $400 not knowing he bought it from another person for just $300! That $400 did work but whenever I turned my steering, it made a loud squiking noise, and I have to kick the passenger door to open it ....the diver's door was worse....I got to puch hard with my shouder and a few times I got to climb out from the window. At times, my whole battery can go off while driving and I got to drive without any lights in the dark Edmonton road.

Now, I have to disagree on this.. You have paid $400, "you" should check all conditions before the transaction, once it is a done deal.. can you cry-out-loud or complain ? Sinkies always like it cheap and good.. For $400 bucks can give you a 3yrs maintenance free.. please get me one !!

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wendy and all:

...I do not do other sales and if I do earn any commissions or has any conflict of interest (like recommending someone to buy a house or car and get a "kick back" from the salespeople, we must disclose it to the client as stipulated by our Code of Ethics or else we could loose our licence and our hard-earned professional designation and even not covered by our Professional Liability Insurance.....it's that serious, period).

As far as I know I never heard of such practices by ex-Singaporeans who go around helping recent Singaporeans and then earn a "premium" out of the service or recommendation....not until this case.

This saddens me very much.

C'est la vie.

well we are humans afterall, emotional creatures that at times, unpredictable, if you have helped 100 singaporeans and 5 turn around and thank you heartfuly, you would have still have achieved much. Think about it, you have played a part in making these 100 people's lives better. so i didnt even interact with you before, but i would like to take the time to thank you for your contributions on their behalf of those theat benefited from your selfess act. merci beaucoup!

Wennyloh

It looks like this is a cheating case. Alex Chee took money from Filipinos for fake jobs.

Alex Chee made good money. Just learnt that, in an unrelated recruitment scam, he charges CAD$3,200 for each filipino he placed at Tim Hortons or other fast food joints.

I wonder how they can sleep at night, the wife, Velma preyed on Philippinos while the husband, Alex Chee preyed on Sporean. Both prey are equally vulnerable who just wanted to start their new life in Canada just like they did.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bernard,
I will not call that cheating. That middleman is just clever and trying to make some money buying and selling. Before you part with the $400, you may have to ask some questions such as past ownerships and whether there is still money oweing on the car, right?

I am not sure how old is your car. But $400 do sound like the kind of rust bucket I owned as a student in the UK.

Also, I do not buy cars older than 10yo. (Bad Aussie roads & equally Aussie drivers wear out the cars fast) - but if I do, I will get my regular mechanic to to a master check for $160 before signing on a proper Purchase of a Used Vehicle form.

I remember, my wife and I took our 3-year old daughter landed in the Edmonton International airport, then took a airport bus to a hotel. Stay there for 3 days and later rented an apartment which had NO furniture. We sleep on the floor for weeks before we know how to hunt around for furnitures in the garage sales and buying from the university students who are leaving.

Not sure about Edmonton, but in Perth Australia, it is increasingly difficult for new migrants to even rent a unit without some sort of reference letter eg from employer or past landload/property manager or show that they have sufficient funds to rent for the contracted perios.
Unless, the new migrants want to live in dodgy accommodation.
That is how times have changed!

At least in Australia, I know of new migrants who need to approach the community-run migrant resources centres to get references and assistance to get rental.

Last edited:
Look at all the crap asychee posted in sammyboy. Does he think he is Tony Robbins? Or Donald Trump?

I always believe actions speak louder than words. Prove with your actions and not with your words. Don't say you will make $1 Million or $5 Million. People can see with their eyes and not with their ears or what they read. Too many new immigrants from Singapore are falling victims believing that they have found a wizard or guru who can and will help them find the road to fame and fortune. Nothing comes easy. Never has and never will unless your pappy is loaded. Take some time to read his blogs and share your thoughts by blogging back.

From what I have read, there have been several victims who have fallen prey to asychee. Let's stop the bleeding now before more victims get massacred. The time has come to stop this.

September-27-2008 09:44 AM
Re: Sharing my vision of retirement and gem of knowledge

Hi all,

I am a soon to be ex singaporean that managed to get out of Singapore in 06. I am located in Edmonton, Canada. In the 1st couple of years, life has been a roller coaster.

When i first landed, the Edmonton Real Estate is booming so it does not takes a genius to make $$$. Here i was, instead of starting out by renting like everybody else - i went ahead to buy my 1st property(4 bedrooms a garden and attached garage) as wifey found a good job within 4 days of landing. In 6 months, the property appreciated by C$150K. By now I also work so that i can use my job to leverage and rolled what i earn into a even bigger house (4 bedrooms upper level, 1 study room, kitchen and living room with a fire place on the Main floor 1 movie threatre, 1 game room and a guest bed room - in the basement), as the property was still going up - i know that it would just a matter of time that it starts to go downhill. So I refinance the property at almost the peak and took the equity to rolled into rental houses and businesses. In a matter of a year and a half, i do not have to work anymore. My income from the rental houses and vending business covers my monthly expenses and starts to develop my most lucrative business - recruitment of filipino overseas worker to work in Edmonton.

As a gratitude to the old forum which i have gain lots of insight that has help me to make the correct decision, i have been helping fellow samster who had attain their CA PR to a "soft landing" (Apply for landing documents - SIN Card, Alberta Health Card, Child Tax Benefit, Driver License, rent a house for them and etc).

As the recruitment business grows. I reckon that i can reached my goal of C$1million in net asset before collecting my Canadian Citizenship and C$5million in 5 years when i can finally retired as my eldest 2 kids would have reached 19 and 18 years of age (out of the hands of NS).

So this is how my vision looks like, i will spend 6 months in Canada (late Spring till earlier Fall) and for the Winter months, i would like to spend a couple of months in Malaysia in my own executive apartment and a couple of months in my own properties CEBU in the Philippines. The rest of the time will be spend travelling to visit more Asia Pacific (especially China). When i have finished enjoy visiting most of the natural wonders. I will start with places like CUBA, Central America or South America. Not too keen on USA, use to work with them did not enjoy their loud, arrogant attitude towards others.

When we are too old to do that anymore, we would check myself into a retirement village for our last days. In the process, i will make sure that my 4 kids learn the life skills (Responsibility, Empathy and financial Management). If they are sucessful in their own than what we have made would go to the charity.

The purpose of sharing it with you is to inspired you rather than to put you down (like what PAP) like to do all the time. Before striking the gold mine here, i test run by working overseas in places, like Thailand, Philippines, Brunei and travel around asia pacific on business trips. From this - i learn things that are not thought in any books like being adaptable, creative, empathy and sometimes bridging the gap by see the situation from the other person perspective and unlearn the biasness that we grew up in.

The following are some of the Gems that i learn

Advise or Advice (pardon me)
When you received it from some body, listen but at the back of your mind - look for what's behind the veil. How do we do this? We qualify the person giving it. For instance, In the philippines, prior to living the country to work, the govt agency makes everyone goes through a cultural orientation course. The person conducting the course most likely have not even seen or step onto Canada. So the key words "Qualification" is the most important.

Life

In singapore, in my case - my peers, brothers, relative and friends seems to think that life is "Static" they do not realize that it is "dynamic". For instance, as a single the needs are different than a married person. Even when you are married, the different stages you have different needs.
Do think that, just by going to work and at certain point of time you move to a higher paying job. This should take care of everything the answer is obviously "NO" unless you are in the PAP Cabinet or MP? The key behind it is to have a "Vision" or mindsight of what you want to achieve. It is only when you have this Vision then who can focus your energy to achieve what is in your "Mindset".

I hope some of the Samster who have more experiences and knowledge can also share their gems of knowledge so I can learn more and improve our selves.

Next Week - i will be posting on Life on the other side of the fences. Stay tune

September-29-2008 11:17 PM

Hi Tee kee,

I agreed that you dont need a million bucks to be happy but having a million dollars at your disposal makes a lot of problem go away.

I sorry that you felt that i am advocating that $$ is a way of life and painted a picture that being rich is defined as sucess. My main intention is to let fellow samster see that from young we have been hardwired that education is the key to sucess. I am paying it forward by helping the trapped samster to be successful here so that 1 day. They can pay it forward by helping others to be sucessful in their own adopted land.

Personally, i dont give a swat about the 1 million or 5 million. Even if i am poor again and in another country. I believe, i will still rise from the ashes to become a pheonix again. You can earn the $$ back but it is the time lost that you cant gain back. If you are making the descision, focus on what your mindsight is. You will reached it very much sooner or in fact sometimes better. This is a platform for me to share my experiences.

My mindsight before coming to Canada was to have my own house on my own land. Have my own kids (not encumbered by what NS dictate them to do). Have my own time to bring them up to be good men in the society and at the same time allows them to achieve their potential in life by spending as much time developing them.

I ask myself, if i continue the working route, i will be better off in singapore. That is why i planned my move carefully from the time tat submit our PR paper until the time that we moves. My reaction to captured the opportunity is much faster as i have already consider all the different option and consequences.

Another Gem for fellow samster: Not Planning = Planning to Fail, I always ask myself what is my Plan B. and
I m just trying to clear up the misconception that people have on the other side of the fence.

For give me for my poor English : "O" level nia

October-04-2008 12:03 AM
Re: Sharing my vision of retirement and gem of knowledge - Part II

I would like to touch on the most important concern for all immigrant ie the roof over your head when you come to Edmonton. I will walk you thru the thoughts process so tat u can come a decision whichever suit your Mindsight.

The usually logic when they arrived would be to rent 1st. Watch the market then buy their own house if they can afford it.

When i m in singapore, whenever I am free(hobby) i challenged this paradigm (not sure the spelling). We last talk about life is dynamic we have to go with the flow.

let start with your own SWOT Analysis (no offended really dont know how to spell)

Ask yourself the following question - dont just accept what i have to say

1. What is your the amount of Cash you are bring to Canada. Believe me Canadian Govt will make you bring.
2. Will the cash be best deployed sitting in a bank (or out working hard for you.)
3. What is the trend of the market for both the rental and home ownership.

If Purchase a home what should i look at?

Please refer to the Edmonton Real Estate Blog for the analysis under the chart that shows the Sales and Listing Ratio on September 30, 2008.

If Rent a home what should i look at?

Please refer to the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corp (CMHC) website. You will be able to find out the rental is on the uptrend or on the down trend.

Analysis

Buying own a house

In this Case, you will noticed that the housing market has shifted like a pendulum from a buyers market past the balanced market into the starting of the seller market.

Renting a house

In this case, the rental trend is going upwards with inflation - it is always an indicated that it is going to cost more down the road.

The next logical sequence would be to compared how much it would cost to buy a house vs renting a house.

Let's take a real life analysis - This is (something unqiue here in alberta) what we call "assumable property" ie. you pay the owner some $$, and takes over the house (MLS #: E3155757).
In this case, it cost $9900 before bargaining. it you can get away if more discount the merrier.

Buying Cost (for calculation)

Buying Cost - $9900
Monthly Mortgage - $755 *12 = $9060

annually = $18960 + Property Tax $600 = $19560
YOU WILL NOT FIND PROPERTY TAXES THIS LOW EVER!
Rental Cost

Monthly Rental = $1100

Deposit = $ 2200 (1 month advance + 1 month deposit)
Rent = $13,200 annually
Total = $15400

If monthly Rental = $1200

deposit = $2400
Rent = $14400
Total = $16800

The cost differential (19560 - 16800 = $2760.00 or $230 nia) is actually not too much. But the benefit is very different.

buying a house

The mortgage will be going down every month and the equity will be built up. When (not if) the market starts to go up. You can refinance and rent out your old house and buy a new one. This way, an asset would have been built up slowly. Historically Real Estate for the past 50 years Average 6% upwards. Please bear in mind average means (eg, water boil at 100 degree and freeze at 0 degree so the average will be 50 degree) - you guys with all the degrees that comes out of the ying and yang will understand better than me. Recent Nyar69 told me about Wave 5, i still catch no ball.

Rent a house

The $$ that you spend on the rental has only benefitted the landlord. $$ that you bring along is going down and when you really want to buy a house. You need to try and save the $$ and how long do you need to save the deposit. Opportunity like this type assumable will not present itself often -only in buyers market and balance martket you see them. In times of seller's market, it would have be taken up mostly by the realtor before it reaches the market.

This is how i managed to leverage myself. Before, i arrived i email to lots of realtor, those that responds i ask them to find for me a assumable. When i landed, i was shown one (divorce case) I put a down payment for $30,000 and take over the mortgage give him 3 months to move out. When back to singapore, shop for all the furniture + my own furniture, ship it to canada. 6 months later the house price goes from $300,000 to $450,000. I sold the house and brought a bigger house with the bells and whistle (read my last post for description), when it reaches the close to the peak(how i know -look at the chart). I refinanced the equity of the house as a line of credit and put my $200K into rental houses that i used to house the foreign worker (buy by the yard sell by the foot). If i rent to a local canadian family the property might not cashflow but if i rent it out to foreign work by the rooms, even in the worse cash, all the expenses are still covered i m happy liao when the market pick up again i can slowly let go of the property one at a time. That is how i managed to bring my net worth to be C$750,000 within 2.5 years with a investment starting from $30K.

It wasnt too difficult if you look and know that life dynamic and if you dont challenge this assumption, you make never know (like they say, the devil is in the details). If i did not challenge this, my life would have been very different. I would not have been able to benefit from the trend. The reason i work is to have 2 objective: leverage ourselves(dual income - can qualify for bigger loan mah) and understand the local working culture

A lot of people ask me if i took advantage of the stock market. ie to short the market or do what whatever. I told them a flat no because, i am not smart and i do not have the bandwidth (i dont even know till now wat in the is Wave 5).

October-04-2008 08:45 PM

Migration is not for everybody. I would suggest you look at your SWOT and your family SWOT for current and for a future time line (Eg 5 years or 10 years maybe when your retired). Just like Canada might be suitable for me, it might not be for you.

Canada was my pick over the other countries tat i research (SWOT - Can go to OZ, NZ, US, UK, Ireland, Spain). Visited OZ (didn't feel right) & NZ (too slow), did not think i like my kids to grow up there. US (work with them - didn't like them very much & medical issue), UK (every body try to get out), Ireland - top contender, Spain - 3rd world).

Y Canada, Y Edmonton - Canada is not a perfect country - when i look SWOT for myself.

Financial
When we landed, with my 4 kids - Child Tax Benefit was extended was C1200.00 every month from May 06 until Aug 08. Education was $300/ kids per year. Unlimited Medical Consultation was C$88 for family - Alberta Health. (Jan 09 onwards Free).
Economy
Oilsands will be booming for the next 20-30 years, this is a fact. There are C$180 BILLION already invested in Fort Mcmurry (5 hours away from Edmonton). All things needed comes via here. You do the Maths how will the economy look like (sprinkle effect for the other sectors of the economy). When driving down the street, the Help Wanted sign are everywhere. Sometimes, i wonder why the SG govt. did not see this bright spark coming up - maybe i m the frog in the well, i have not seen any SG company taking advantage of this.
Real Estate
Remember the times in the 70's the HDB flat goes like $7,000 (put it in affordability factors - rental or mortgage payment = ? % of your montly salary). When the economy boom, everyone gains but who gain the most with the least risk (Real Estate Investor). Those that leverage on real estate. Fast forward to now, what is the affordability factors - me thinks that without dual income a lot of family sink oredi.
Education
The factory process of edcation is not suitable for the world of the future. Even the SG govt knows this, that is why they are advocating to learn less you will end up learning more. The cramping of knowledge in sg schools just does not work anymore. CA education is more on teaching you the knowledge, teaching you how to learn this knowledge and how to learn use this knowledge even grade 1 and 2 get simple project. It might not be the best but i believe this is the best direction to take. In the process, it teaches them about lifeskills (be responsible, be respectful, be fun to be & others) Of course on the flip side, i teach my kids how to manage $$ and combat the social attitudes that i deem unsuitable to them.

Y not SEA countries - I have worked in Thailand, Philippines and Brunei - I think they are good only if you are thinking of retiring. At this phase of my life, I am doing research in it. My kids have both the Singapore, Philippines and soon to be Canadian Passport. It will gives them choices on where they wanna be at different phase of their life. I m actually rather attracted to Malaysia MMSH program. But in my case, retiring in ASIA is not a problem as i have a Philippines PR thru my wife.

October-04-2008 11:06 PM

To be or Not to be (Working or Running your own business)

This would always be the 2nd foremost question for everybody that is getting out of singapore. When we Landed in Canada, My wifey managed to find a job within 4 days.

The employer was really nice - even wait for her to go back to singapore to resign and settle all the necessary things then come back and start work 3 months later.

When we were thinking thru the process. We realized tat the best situation is to have 1 spouse working and other running a business. That way, the whole family can enjoy the working spouse Company Benefit (ie medicine, dental, chiropactor, massage- not the happy ending type etc).

Prior to doing our Landing - Wifey is an Senior Optometrist in a Major Hospital in Singapore. We were aware that She will not be able to work immediately as an Optometrist here unless she went to Study in U of Waterloo for a couple of years. We evaluate the Opportunity Cost - Optom earnings around $200K / year take out the income tax + fee + professional insurance = net $100K. But working as a surgical tech = $50K starting and sometimes addition O/T here and there - last year income tax oredi $75000 -so my take is not worth it.

Since, the hot trend in the eye business = everybody wants to have lasik good eye sight and will be increasing. We focus on looking for jobs in terms of priority - Lasik, Optical shop and Lens Cutting or supplying company. So we surf the Internet Yellow Pages - take out the section on all the lasik clinic, optical shop and lens cutting company and divide all the input and reclassify different section and make a timeline and start going at it one at a time. Some clinic is in Edmonton but the hiring dept is in Toronto or some just place ads with assocation - so we look at that. Prior to landing - manage to make 3 appt 1st in the Optical, 2nd in the Lasik and 3rd i think it is a optical shop too. Any way, after Landing - 3rd day went for interview in Optical shop was taking but they needs a 2nd interview for the Boss. 4th day, went for the lasik Clinic was offer a job immediately. Since we knows tat, it is in the Lasik that we will have the best bet. She accept the job immediately and we did not even go for the 3rd company for interview.

As for myself, we were aware that the kids will have issues like settling (schools, getting family doctors), getting a driver's license myself and just to kick start the whole process i took 3 months. Meantime, I did my research and found that of all my skillls, the Refuelling of aircraft will get me the best salary possible at that point of time. So i went ahead and found a job in 1 week after i started.

As my mindsight is to have wifey working and me in own business, i look around and notice that Canadian has a snacking habit, so i went to a franchise expo got a vending machine business (Kiasi - higher chances of sucess) + research. So as i was working, i have the next stage of my plan in place. 3 months into the job - i sold my house (all think i am crazy), change to a higher paying job in a warehouse. Brought a even higher value house (current) renovate the basement to add in Movie room, Sauna, Guest Room and Toilet and a Game room (research by going to the show home).

At tis point, wifey income + my income + projected return from vending company is already $200K per year with a healthy pile of Cash. If the bank reject any loan, i could go to others. I got the money for my Vending Machine business - i planned my departure from working. I Calc all the expense, i had + how the vending machine is performing. Basically, as long as the Income is greater than Expenses = i can quit my job. When it reaches that point, i monitor it for a couple of months still looks good. I left behind the working world.

Once, i got into the house, after all the dust from the renovation has settled, I had the house re- appraisal, I applied for a line of credit secured by My equity in it. I was given a $200K line of credit.

By this time, I had familiarize myself with the in / out of bringing filipino worker here (i joint venture with someone - to start a recruitment business, this person has too much fear did not last). At that time market has peaked and it will be going down soon. So we got some houses on a rent to own contract. That is we put big deposit (15K) and 6-12 months later, we will close on the house at the valuation at that time. The monthly rental - a portion goes to the buildup of the deposit. At tat point of time, the cashflow is already positive. When the market goes down, it makes it cashflow even more. with 2 other rental house under my belt.

Please dont take this the wrong way, i hope that in my experience. You could find the path that makes you successful too.

As for the Gem of knowledge - Look at the fundamental, dont believe in the hype tat the sky is falling. It will makes you make better decisions.

October-05-2008 05:29 AM

To be or Not to be (Working or Running your own business) - Part II

Taxation Issue

As most of you would have read from Rich Dad Poor Dad. I just wanna to put it into the Canadian Context. Here you cannot deduct your interest portion of the mortgage that you taken (unless u use the smith manever - sori don't know how to spell). There is no Trade up like the 1031 exchange in US. Lucky - if not in deeper shit than US.

When you work for somebody, taxes are taken away before you have a chance to smell your $$ in the paycheck. The only time that you can be reunited with them are when you do your taxes is the next year in the form of tax refund. Can you imagine, the $$ you overpay - sitting in the Govt coffer for up to 1 year. Every year, comes budget time you pray very hard that they will give tax credit, tax rebate & etc. before you see a alittle more of it. To make a long story short, you are spending after tax $$ - you cant write off very much either especially house hold expenses.

As for running a business, you add taxes everytime your charge the people for the service you provided. U only pay to the govt quarterly - can use your creativity. U can write off most of the expenses of a Car (if you do it a certain way). U can write off the interest tat you spent in financing the business. U can decrease the household expenses. You can write off the part of the house payment - be it the rent or the mortgage). It is just too many to describe.

In my case, i am not very smart. i take the 2nd option as soon as i can.

There are a lot of immigrant that comes - takes the business route immediately. They are way smarter than me.
This is how they did it, when they arrived, they find out who is the realtor that specialized in buying and selling of business. They approach him, he provide a list of business - give contact thru his banker friend to finance the business.

For instance, a business cost $50,000. Banks normally wants you to put 10% of your own $$ ($5000 + admin cost $800). They will finance the rest - they will also makes you buy govt insurance. In the worse case, you dont make it (if you can show reasonable effort). You might not have to pay for it . That is how i managed to get my financing - for those of you that is wondering why i do not want to spend my own $$ sitting in the bank. You have to think out of the box - If i use my own cash, i cannot deduct the interest that i forgo. When i finance, most of the things i can deduct. It is just stretching your mind and comfort zone. Do not let the fear of failure put you down.

If you want to sell away this ongoing business, just go back to the realtor and off load. When you work for some body, when they hand you a pink slip, you only source of income is gone. Here at least there is Employment Insurance to takan for 9 months for max $1500/month (depending of past income)

Gem of knowledge: Qualify the person giving you the advice, have they done it before. Most time, i listern but will draw my own conclusion at times even when the person is qualify but they are still not aware of your SWOT. When i arrived ALL, i mean ALL were telling me. rent a place, work for 6 months then look for a place to buy if i can afford it. If i follow, i would have had the same results - some 7 years here still renting a aprt.

If I owe the bank tens of thousand of $$, it is my problem if i owe them MIllion or Billion, it is their problem. Get it - use debts to leverage and work to your advantage.

iF YOU STILL BELIEVE asychee CAN HELP YOU GET RICH AND BE SUCCESSFUL, THEN DON'T EVER SOMEONE SAY THIS TO YOU, "SAYA BILANG BEGITU" OR "I TOLD YOU SO".

ALL THE BEST!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iF YOU STILL BELIEVE asychee CAN HELP YOU GET RICH AND BE SUCCESSFUL, THEN DON'T EVER SOMEONE SAY THIS TO YOU, "SAYA BILANG BEGITU" OR "I TOLD YOU SO".

ALL THE BEST!

Has any migrant succeed in settling down through a fellow countryman stranger's spoon-feeding?

Wennyloh

I Googled awhile ago and found that many Philippinos in Canada and Korea and Philippines have started warning their countrymen online and on facebook aggressively about Alex Chee and Velma Veloria, Mabis Recruitment Agency since Jan 2010, unfortunately most websites are in Tagalog. I managed to get these few forum links below translated with my home machine. Some words are written in short form, my machine cannot translate them. I'm actually quite sad to read this and how human can be so cruel for money.

=============================================
http://nl-nl.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=149586055055085

July 2010

Mula sa kababayang si Velma Veloria Chee

Sa lahat ng mga kababayan ko na mga pilipino nananawagan po ako sa inyo na huwag na huwag kayo makipag usap, mag apply or magbigay ng pera sa mabis recruitment agency or [email protected] ..ang may ari nito ay si Velma veloria at Alex chee na asawa nya..Lahat po na mga documents nila ay peke..at pagkatapos nyo magbayad sa ...kanila ay hindi na sila nagpaparamdam..Ito po ay hindi paninira sa kanilang mag asawa...Ito po ang isang tunay na babala sa ating kababayanan na gusto magpunta sa new zealand, canada,U.S.A,Australia. sila po ay peke at manloloko..Pls..pls.send this message sa mga friends at relatives nyo para hindi sila maloko na katulad namin..Salamat po! God Bless at mabuhay po ang hindi manloloko!

In English

[COLOR="_______"]From Velma Veloria compatriot Chee In all my fellow Filipinos that I call you please do not talk to you, apply or give money to mabis [email protected] recruitment agency or the owner .. It was veloria Velma and her husband Alex chee po .. All the documents they are Fake nyo .. and then pay them ... they are no longer presence felt .. This is not damaging to their wife .. . This is the a real warning to us kababayanan want to go to new zealand, canada, USA, Australia. They are fake and dishonest po .. Pls .. pls.send this message to friends and relatives so they nyo goofy we like .. Thank you! God Bless and live honest please! [/COLOR]

===================================================

http://www.sulyapinoy.org/south-korea-f23/mabis-recruitment-agency-in-canada-t4365.htm

July 2010

wlang patawad ang mga taong yan!!..isa rin akong biktima ng mga taong yan kya nagpakalau lau na lng ako!!.mas ttanggapin ko pang mahuli ng immigration na kusang humuli sakin kesa ipahuli lng ako ng mga taong yan !!.kya nkakaawa mga natitirang tnt jan sa iksan.TNT tlga tago ng tago hindi dahil sa immigration kundi dahil sa mga demonyong pnadala ni satanas sa iksan!!... wlang takot yang mga taong yan!!.wlang takot sa diyos!!ang kkapal pa ng mukha at me mga mukha pang mgpakita sa mga Filipino.pasensya na mga kbayan at ginamit ko ang forum na ito pra ilabas sakit at sama ng loob ko sa mga taong yan!!.anlalaki ng katawan d mgtrabaho!!!...
ang ganda ng work ko jan dati nasira dhil sa mga taong yan!!ngsisimula na nga karma nila cge pa rin sila!!..haay ewan tlga!!!...ano bang dapat gwin sa mga taong gnyan!!!

In English

[COLOR="_______"]HI pardon those who yan! .. I'm also one of those victims nagpakalau lau yan kya lng me that!. ttanggapin I had to catch more immigration than mere catch me cause the arrest of the people I lng yan!. kya tnt nkakaawa remaining iksan.TNT tlga jan concealed in secret not because of immigration but because of the evil of the devil in Iksan pnadala !!... HI people fear yang yan!. HI fear of god! the kkapal me on the face and the faces of other mgpakita Filipino.pasensya the kbayan and I used this forum pra release pain and resentment I People yan!. anlalaki body mgtrabaho d nice work !!!... I dhil jan previously damaged people yan! ngsisimula that they have the karma they still cge! Than Peers Ewan tlga ..! ! ... what I should gwin gnyan people! [/COLOR]

==================================================
Aug 2010

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=149338191743074&id=102258276485065

SANA MALAKI ANG SWELDO NG NURSE SA PILIPINAS PARA DI NA KO MAG AAPLY ABROAD :-(
Velma Veloria Chee Sa lahat ng mga kababayan ko na mga pilipino nananawagan po ako sa inyo na huwag na huwag kayo makipag usap, mag apply or magbigay ng pera sa mabis recruitment agency or [email protected] ..ang may ari nito ay si Velma velori...a at Alex chee na asawa nya..Lahat po na mga documents nila ay peke..at pagkatapos nyo magbayad s...a kanila ay hindi na sila nagpaparamdam..Ito po ay hindi paninira sa kanilang mag asawa...Ito po ang isnag tunay na babala sa ating kababayanan na gusto magpunta sa new zealand, canada,U.S.A,Australia. sila po ay peke at manloloko..Pls..pls.send this message sa mga friends at relatives nyo para hindi sila maloko na katulad namin..Salamat po!

In English

[COLOR="_______"]Hopefully MUCH THE WAGES OF THE NURSE IN THE PHILIPPINES FOR TO DANCE WITH MY applies ABROAD Velma Veloria Chee :-( To all my fellow Filipinos that I call you please do not talk to you, apply or give money mabis recruitment agency or the owner [email protected] .. it was ... a velori Velma and her husband Alex chee po .. All the documents they are Fake nyo .. and then pay a s. .. their presence felt they did not .. This is not damaging to their wife ... This is the real warning isnag kababayanan we want to go to new zealand, canada, USA, Australia. they please are fraudulent and deceitful. . .. Pls pls.send this message to friends and relatives so they nyo goofy we like .. Thank you! [/COLOR]

==========================================

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder how they can sleep at night, the wife, Velma preyed on Philippinos while the husband, Alex Chee preyed on Sporean. Both prey are equally vulnerable who just wanted to start their new life in Canada just like they did.

Wendy:

I advise you refrain from being so direct as whoever mention here can engage his lawyer to sue you for defamation. Be careful and not to get burnt as judging from all the claims by this individual, he might already been a mult-millionaire by now, hence he has a deep pocket to hire good lawyer to sue you. I respectfully say that you cannot affort to fight such a rich man. NO way. Be careful, my friend.

When I read about the current typhoon hitting Philipines it hurts me to see people giving these poor folks a second blow. In general, can you imagine a Philipino countryman gving out a few thousand dollars (Can) to some kind scheme and cannot get their money back or delay in getting it back. Then back home in their country, there are m&d slides and their families need the money to survive.

Those who cheat (mind you I am general here and I am not imply any person by name or othr wise) on these poor souls, how can they lift their heads up to face their own children? Can a family like this be happy....real happy? Of course, they might have made a few million $ and enjoy life but then the money is from blood and sweat of the poor innocent people. Where is the integrity. It sickens me.

When I received that Mr. "C" to Edmonton a few yers ago, he told me about his big plan of recruitment agency and other plans. I did warn him that we cannot collect fees from the job seekers and he must know the rules. He cannot double dip. I also warned him that the Canadian Immigration people are very street smart. I hope this Mr. "c" would not do all these evil deeds.

The Canadian authorities know much of these type of practices and I am pretty sure they are now after the guilty, but we must not jump into any conclusion and must not bring out any specific names. Let the justice and police and RCMP take action. And God will take His aim.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not first time nor it will be the last time that these things happen.

By the way forummer "exSingaporean" has an excellent track record in this forum and I would abide by his advice.

I have also known Asychee for quite a long while before he even emigrated. He was always helpful but I suspect that he has lost his way to some extent. He does not have much in terms of formal education at a high level but I assume he must have come to the erroneous conclusion that short cuts and street smarts are part and parcel of running a business. It is not. I kind of suspected that he would land in a spot of bother when he shared about income doctoring to secure mortgages.

These things need not get any uglier than this. I would suggest the following;

1) Asychee - would suggest that you clean up all unfinished business and come to an agreement with the various parties. I think you also need to drop the legal action posturing as it is not going anyway. I am sure you know that.

2) Others - would suggest that you check all documentation that Asychee handled on your behalf. Trust me.

3) Ak168 - thanks for not being a typical Singaporean and hiding this and thereby letting others to be exposed. Much appreciated. Keep us in the loop about Kenny. I would like to see that Kenny gets back what is owed to him.

chinchai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wendy:
I advise you refrain from being so direct as whoever mention here can engage his lawyer to sue you for defamation. Be careful and not to get burnt as judging from all the claims by this individual, he might already been a mult-millionaire by now, hence he has a deep pocket to hire good lawyer to sue you. I respectfully say that you cannot affort to fight such a rich man. NO way. Be careful, my friend.

Alex Chee and Velma Veloria has been taking money from filipino workers for fake jobs in Canada. This is a criminal case of cheating.

I doubt very much Alex Chee will engage a lawyer to sue for defamation, even if he does, he does not have a case because the fact that he did cheat the filipinos workers and Wenny has a right to freedom of expression.

If Alex Chee think he can sue, the thousands of cheats and crooks will be suing people because they commented on them about their criminal activities.

Also, Goh Meng Seng, Chee Soon Juan, Lee Kuan Yew, Lee Hsien Loong etc would have sued thousands of forumers for the bad things they say about them. As long as these politican haven't sue, I don't think a criminal will sue.

The judge will tell Alex Chee, "so you did cheat the filipino workers, what's your problem?"

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is not first time nor it will be the last time that these things happen.

By the way forummer "exSingaporean" has an excellent track record in this forum and I would abide by his advice.

I have also known Asychee for quite a long while before he even emigrated. He was always helpful but I suspect that he has lost his way to some extent. He does not have much in terms of formal education at a high level but I assume he must have come to the erroneous conclusion that short cuts and street smarts are part and parcel of running a business. It is not. I kind of suspected that he would land in a spot of bother when he shared about income doctoring to secure mortgages.

These things need not get any uglier than this. I would suggest the following;

1) Asychee - would suggest that you clean up all unfinished business and come to an agreement with the various parties. I think you also need to drop the legal action posturing as it is not going anyway. I am sure you know that.

2) Others - would suggest that you check all documentation that Asychee handled on your behalf. Trust me.

3) Ak168 - thanks for not being a typical Singaporean and hiding this and thereby letting others to be exposed. Much appreciated. Keep us in the loop about Kenny. I would like to see that Kenny gets back what is owed to him.

Scroobal:

Thanks for your compliment and I am sure you can read all my contribution in this forum and find that all my advice are very consistant and fall into a kind of sincere, about-to-be-proven tupe. Moreover, i am not shy of uing the
"f90&" word on Lee Kuan Yew, Dragon Loong or anyone who do harm to his fellow human being.

Thanks.

Honestly I did fetch this Ah Chee guy from the airport when he first arrived. After giving him some advice of the basic business practice in Canada (like minmum wages, mx of working hours, health insurance, the traffice system, SSN etc,.

He told me he bought a "maid" along. Wow, to me this is something great....this is the first time I hear a Singaporean bought a maid along to immigrate. I know many rich Indonesians in Vancounver do likewise.....thus I equate that he must be that super rich type.

I parted after that..... better not tell the reason to get myself in some argument over the internet and I know some type of people simply like to sue and honestly I am not that "rich" like those so-claimed multi-millionare who can afford lawyers. My wife and I are simply working class but we simply enjoy helping people, period.

Thanks again for your kind words.

exSINgaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alex Chee and Velma Veloria has been taking money from filipino workers for fake jobs in Canada. This is a criminal case of cheating.

I doubt very much Alex Chee will engage a lawyer to sue for defamation, even if he does, he does not have a case because the fact that he did cheat the filipinos workers and Wenny has a right to freedom of expression.

If Alex Chee think he can sue, the thousands of cheats and crooks will be suing people because they commented on them about their criminal activities.

Also, Goh Meng Seng, Chee Soon Juan, Lee Kuan Yew, Lee Hsien Loong etc would have sued thousands of forumers for the bad things they say about them. As long as these politican haven't sue, I don't think a criminal will sue.

The judge will tell Alex Chee, "so you did cheat the filipino workers, what's your problem?"

chinchai:

It's not a matter of whether he will win or lose but the "fear" of getting a registered letter from a lawyer that he/she is acting on behalf of so-and-so to sue you for defamation on the ground of: " ....... "

Yea, you might win at the end or even "counter-sue" but then you must have the deep pocket to fight the legal battle. The trouble of justice system is that if someone sues you you need to defence and do you dare to defend yourself without a lawyer in this sort of case?

If you engage a lawyer to defend, time and effort is wasted to prove that what you say is correct ...can you 100% prove ii....ie. getting info from those in Seoul. All you have is hear-say and that is not good enough for the judge. That's frustrating, yea, that's the law.

Then if you win, you want to get back all your expenses, yoo need to counter sue....that take time and effort again. Do you have the money to engage the lawyer to counter-sue?

However, the self-proclaimed multi-millionaire has all the money to find good lawyers to sue you. Being so rich, as you might have read from some past forum contribution, he does not need to work. So he has all the time to get the info for the lawyer to sue you.

It's not about freedom of expression here, it is about who is the "rich man' here. To a self-proclaimed rich man, all these legal expenses is penuts...just an amount he pay for eating tim sum with.....but to Wendy, she can be hurt and trouble at night. The legal case can go on for a year or two....poor Wendy would not have a good sleep.

Alamat, life is too short for this.

You say, LKY and Dragon Loong have not sue the online writers for defamation....well there are too many for them to sue....however there is nothing to stop them to pick at random to sue. Or they can call up the Singaporeans in Singapore for kopi witht he ISD....look at the latest case of the guy who write in the facebook on the YOG and he used "burnt."

For an individual who claim to be a multimillionaire by that year and then, he could be for "real" and for such a rich man, he has all the free time to take care of his children and still have spare time and lots to money to sue one or two.

Take care my friend.....in a so-called "free world" truth justice can take lots of time, effort and even money to prove. Don't play play here.

There's a Chinese proverb: "Poor cannot fight the rich, rich cannot fight the government."