• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ban Bangla workers now!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>Coffee Shop Talk - Ban Bangla workers now!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR> </NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">Aug-31 9:32 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 7) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>846.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Wayward workers: Hold bosses liable
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
I READ with concern Miss Tyla Teng Ning's letter about her experience at the hands of a foreign worker ('Trouble in the neighbourhood', Aug 22). I extend my sympathies to her and hope the culprit is caught. At the same time, this was a molestation that was waiting to happen.

First, no one is held accountable for the errant behaviour of foreign workers. Much is made of the unavoidable responsibility of employers of the maids they hire. Maids must be given a day off, but if a maid runs riot or runs away of her own volition, the innocent employer is punished. When employers complain, the official answer is invariably the same: Who else can be held accountable but the employer? If that is the logic, the solution to the problem of foreign workers who threaten the safety of ordinary Singaporeans lies with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). If employers are accountable for the wanton acts of their maids, shouldn't MOM impose the same measure on employers or contractors of errant foreign workers?
As it stands, the responsibility for the attack on Ms Teng will fall through the cracks. It is a police case now, but will the right outcome solve the problem? Even if the culprit is caught, will it deter similar attacks on Singaporeans by foreign workers on a drinking binge, or just out to wreak havoc?
I doubt it, because no one is responsible for their behaviour after work. The police cannot be expected to break up drinking sessions. They need practical help, which officials in MOM can easily offer. I have nothing but praise for our police officers as they are swift in answering public calls of unruly or suspicious behaviour by foreign workers.
Second, I know the neighbourhood where Miss Teng was attacked well. The foreign workers who gather there are Bangladeshis, who are intelligent, and, more than other foreign workers, often on the lookout for trysts. It isn't a coincidence that Malaysia once banned workers from Bangladesh because of the social disruption they wreaked. They will not hesitate to sneak into homes to visit maids, creating a potential safety problem as well. Here too, the hands of the police are tied, even if such workers are caught, because entry is usually aided and unforced. Holding employers of foreign workers responsible is a start in seriously addressing such social and safety issues.
Finally, why do we let foreign workers congregate in neighbourhoods where Singaporeans live? From what we have seen, there are insufficient safeguards or rules, or enough understanding by foreign workers about respecting the peace and safety which Singaporeans prize, and expect.
Ravi Govindan
[email protected]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>