• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Moving to China for good

aczeta76

Was reading the Chinese papers last nite and saw this news about the actor Gallen Lo who is moving to Beijing China for good.

Actually had some thoughts of moving to China after a few years and taking on a job there in Cities like Chong Qing and Cheng Du since SG investing heavily there these few years. Not thinking of going to Guangdong (ZH, SZ) as it is quite messy there while BJ and SH are too expensive

With the exchange rate difference, if we can secure a job with the same kinda pay here, then we should be quite comfortable there.

Perhaps I should consider being a consultant there or something.

Anyone have thoughts about this.

the_e_ones

Alfrescian
Loyal
If i am single, i will definitely give it some serious thought... but now family man... difficult lah...

lecher

Alfrescian
Loyal
i've been to dalian and qingdao and comparing these 2 cities with the others, especially beijing and shanghai, i personally feel that these 2 cities are far better in the quality of living, cost is not too high and the air is better ....

the only thing i cannot stand is that those folks there still spit indiscreminately along the road side or 5 foot way...... :(

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes for those considering living in China, suggest live in Geylang for a few months. Lift door just open they already clearing throat liao. Pity the Olympicians.

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt that China is a good choice.

Just beware of the rising cost of living and also petrol cost increase.

From my talks with the local chinese there, the best places (in China) seems to be Chengdu or Dalian. Pace of living is not as hectic as SH and security wise its better than GZ.

Like what other mention, each place has its pro and cons, it all depends on whats your need (work, retirement, etc?)..

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
what does migrating to china means?

becoming a chinese citizen? or just staying there to do business? what sort of consultants do they need now?

do share, thank you

Non_Elite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wake up Singaporeans!

If you think you can walk into China now and become a consultant - of whatever type - please wake up! Today's China is technically, materially and monetarily stronger, better, fitter and more nimble than Singapore many times! Gone are the days when you think Singaporeans or Taiwanese or HKongers can teach the Chinese a thing or two... today, they can teach us instead!

Lenova, Haier, JingLong, TCL are but just some brands that are truly global. Chinese companies are now manufacturing under their own brand names and reaching out to every corner of the earth. They have tens of factories and sub-contractors, employ ten of thousands employees, conduct their own R&D and even their individual advertising dollars are enough to dwarf any of our own largest brand.

If you think you can walk into China and be a 'consultant' - do pay a visit to China - and be thoroughly convinced how small and insignificant Singapore is today compared to them.

However, China is indeed large and there still areas where you can turn it into your own advantage... such as living or retiring there. Many Singaporeans, HKongers and Taiwanese has done it... it's how much you want to do it.

Chengdu, Dalian and Qingdao have been voted the nicest cities in China. They are nice... but remain too far, too cold and too 'culturally-different' to fit in for most Singaporeans. Xiamen is also voted as one of the top cities, is near enough and not too cold nor culturally different for Singaporeans.

There are no restriction to Singaporeans buying properties in China. Sell your HDB and buy 3 units over there. Or rent out your HDB and live like a prince over there. Use the price difference to your advantage...before it's too late!

For those who think that China is still run-down, dirty and messy... think again. Do not use what you see in Geylang or Joo Chiat as a comparison... it's only the poor, uneducated, desperate and helpless that need to leave the comfort of their own home... just like the poor, uneducated, desperate and helpless that were our own ancestors just two or three generations ago.

Please go and see how the middle class and rich Chinese live life nowadays... mega-shopping centres, posh clubs, coffee cafes, restaurants, cinemas, etc all served by young, enthusiastic and smiling staff... unlike the unsmiling, lethargic and uninterested service staff we sometimes get back at home.

After decades of communist rules, the Chinese had not lost their hungry, probing, enterprising way - hence, many of them had found their way to Singapore and taken good advantage of PAP's generosity.

Yet, Singaporeans has lost their hungry, probing, enterprising way and are unable to see what are the advantages what China can offer us. So, stop believing the PAP propaganda that we can teach China, India or even Russia a thing or two.

Be humble. Go visit China yourself and then see what they can teach us. Or be enterprising... and take advantage of their lower cost of living by moving there.

R

Rockgate

Agree with u Non_Elite, but south-west part of China suits sgp ppl better, nice weather, not so hectic life, a lot of greeneries. Food is almost alike. Only no chicken rice, laksa, rojak etc.................... Chengdu & Chongqing's quite dirty, was there last year, the ppl spit a lot. Dalian is too cold during winter. But I thought that foreigners are restricted to buy only 1 property:confused:Been here for more than 15 years, better than living in Sgp. :p

Nomad

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those thinking of it,you are already a bit late.
with the inflation and oil price,everything also went up there.
agreed with Non-Elite,they are smarter than most of us.
think the 80s and early 90s was the best time,to migrate,that is when they just open-up,need a lot of investment,knowledge and are not so smart.

bro Rockgate,should be able to advise those thinking of migrating there,since he has been there for so long - 15 years.

punter888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been there too but NO Quality Assurance & Quality Control is always an issue for most china's product,and for the so called R&D is more on the factor of getting those schematics from undertable and research to do to become their own products.I personally don't like to deal with them but cheap pricing is always make me turn back.As for high flyers in china you go Macau and take a look at how they gambled their chips.:eek:

Non_Elite

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walk into any cafe or coffee house in China nowadays and you're likely to find Chicken Rice, Fried Rice or even Curry Chicken. It may or may not taste like the real stuff over here but hey... it's good enough when one have the occasional urge!

No doubt there's a lot of copying and QC/QA is still a problem with many China's companies. Don't forget that the same accusation was made of Taiwan, S.Korea and Japan previously. Today, these countries are technical innovators with brands that take on the world.

Do you think China vied for Olympics just to boost short-term economic gains? No...they are not as short-sighted as MIW...they needed the Olympics to wake up Chinese people to international standards of service, quality and way of life. After the Olympics, restaurants, shopping centres and hotel standard would have reached international standard of service and manufacturing and production quality would have QC and branding standards of their international counterparts... that's the ultimate goal of the Olympics, to use the the games as key motivators to push the Chinese in more ways than one!

Let's come down from our moral high grounds falsely imposed on us by the MIWs. Even the Americans knew that once the Chinese nationalistic, ingenuity and hardwork fervour is unshackled and released, this sleeping Panda will take on the world as it never has before. (Kung Fu Panda subtle storyline?)

Sure, prices and cost of living has gone up in China. So has Singapore. It's still not too late to settle down or retire in China. In another 5-10 years... it will be different and too late.

Wang Ye

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said! A strong China is the nightmare of the west but to be honest the chinese leaders have a tall order to fulfill and there is always the rot within that must be rooted out.

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
China is ever evolving juz like e rest of e world. u can migrate to any country u fancied, juz make sure u got e financial power/connections to do so.:wink:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
China is like the extreme of singapore. Sure you have bigger malls and houses there, but you also have less human rights and rule of law. If you can live with that, fine. Personally i wouldn't look at china as a place to migrate to, but to experience new stuff and make money.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
what if a person migrates to another country, then goes to China to do business?

won't that be the best of both worlds?

L

loveprc102

I am thinking of doing some business in china, anyone know how much to invest before we can get a business VISA?

storm

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am thinking of doing some business in china, anyone know how much to invest before we can get a business VISA?

Anywhere from 10k to 30k depending on cities. But trust me, 10k wont get you anywhere nowadays.

If you want to stay in there for at least 1 year and more, get ready 50k and above. And we are talking about sing dollars.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
storm, you raised an interesting point...would you care to share what would be a good biz to invest in?

i heard the copyrights movement in china is very weak and so intellectual capital is out of the question; property investments should wait for a while (so i read in other forums);

what sort of biz can be done for $10k - $20k? The only thing i can think of is to set up a factory and import to singapore for sale

jw5

Loyal
Was reading the Chinese papers last nite and saw this news about the actor Gallen Lo who is moving to Beijing China for good.

Actually had some thoughts of moving to China after a few years and taking on a job there in Cities like Chong Qing and Cheng Du since SG investing heavily there these few years. Not thinking of going to Guangdong (ZH, SZ) as it is quite messy there while BJ and SH are too expensive

With the exchange rate difference, if we can secure a job with the same kinda pay here, then we should be quite comfortable there.

Perhaps I should consider being a consultant there or something.

Anyone have thoughts about this.
Shanghai and Beijing are becoming very expensive and similar to HK and S'pore.
I actually like Chengdu and Chongqing for the food, environment and women, but the recent earthquake worried me.