• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The New Paper: Local workers choosy yet foreign workers suffer

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Page 4 today in The New Paper:

Construction companies want to hire local drivers at $1,800
but local drivers don't want to wake up early and don't want to work overtime

They are forced to use foreign drivers but MOM says cannot use foreign worker to drive, discriminate

Why? If the local doesn't want the job at $1,800, why can't foreign worker do at $1,200.

Why?

If local want, then let them take but if local don't want and are choosy, why blame the employer or the foreign worker

If there is a shortage, we should import those who are willing to fill the space that locals DONT WANT

Please have a logical rational discussion, not emotional and irresponsible one

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

They are forced to use foreign drivers but MOM says cannot use foreign worker to drive, discriminate

Why? If the local doesn't want the job at $1,800, why can't foreign worker do at $1,200.

Why?

If local want, then let them take but if local don't want and are choosy, why blame the employer or the foreign worker

If there is a shortage, we should import those who are willing to fill the space that locals DONT WANT

If a foreign worker is really competent in driving, then i see no problems. The issue is most don't! We already have enough banglas zipping around in their lorries and hogging the centre and right lanes. They any how do turns and don't bother signalling and giving way. Our roads are dangerous enough for our kids/aged parents as it is without the extra FTs who only need to take the basic theory to start driving on the roads. The money one could save from hiring FTs to drive might be spent on hospital bills for someone else loved ones.

tua lam pah

Alfrescian
Loyal
the truth is that the driver is supposed to wake up at 3am work till 10pm
that part they never tell us....knn

which local in his right mind will take the job???

i deal with many construction and shipyard companies

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, the bus drivers are very reckless. Most of them are foreigners either from M'sia & China. Very scary.....

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Construction companies want to hire local drivers at $1,800 but local drivers don't want to wake up early and don't want to work overtime

This is very true. Some months ago I complained about my staff showing up for work late. They do it on a daily and regular basis particularly in 2007 and the first half of 2008 as the labor market was tight. When I asked why.. the response is "the bloody ERP is expensive" and they waited till 9:30 before they passed through the gantry. Can't get a decent day's work out of these Sinkees.

Since the late 2008 after I replaced some of these latecomers with FTs, everyone now shows up to work on time including the locals. :smile:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
This shows that overall the employment situation is quite good.

Locals are able to remain choosy and display foul attitude

Luckily we have a lot of foreigners in service sector, otherwise with all the bad attitude locals, life would be damn teruk

How wonderful to be served by a Pinoy retail assistant, a PRC waitress and a Burmese gardener

The government should relax rules further and give more PR to these three nationalities, not the useless angmohs who talk big but cannot do squat

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays, the bus drivers are very reckless. Most of them are foreigners either from M'sia & China. Very scary.....

Local drivers wouldn't be able to make it out of the bus terminus

Drive North-South highway and tell me Singaporeans are better drivers than Malaysians, what a joke!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why?

Here's WHY, TRAITOR!

Singapore's World Records
On this small island lives the 30 best-paid politicians in the world, comments a blogger. MySingaporeNews.
Apr 3, 2009
As the economic crisis worsens and thousands are being retrenched, the huge salaries of Singapore's political leaders have come under the spotlight not only here - but overseas.
With G20 leaders gathering in London to work out solutions to the global crisis, the Times compiled a list of "the 10 best-paid politicians in the world" - naturally with Singapore's Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong taking the top spot.
The story was picked up by The Australia, which also works out their salaries when ranked against population.
Mr Lee earns S$3.76 million (US$2.47 million) a year, excluding bonuses, allowances, pensions, etc which add on a significant bit.
This is about 54 cents per head of population. In second position was his counterpart from New Zealand at 9 cents. The rest of the world are all down there, below even the lowest-ranking minister in Singapore.
But Singaporean blogger redbean's "My Singapore News" carries a calculation from its reader, Green Peas, expanding on the UK and Australian reports.
It pointed out that the world's 30 best-paid politicians (a definition that will include ministers, elected president, etc) are all from Singapore.
Here's what the blogger says:
The TOP 30 highest paid politicians in the world are all from Singapore:
1. Elected President SR Nathan - S$3.9 million.
2. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong - S$3.8 million.
3. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew - S$3.5 million.
4. Senior Minister Goh Chok Thong - S$3.5 million.
5. Senior Minister Prof Jayakumar - S$3.2 million.
6. DPM & Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng - S$2.9 million.
7. DPM & Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean - $2.9 million
8. Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo - S$2.8 million.
9. National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan - S$2.7 million.
10. PMO Miniser Lim Boon Heng - S$2.7 million.
11. Trade and Industry Minister Lim Hng Kiang - S$2.7 million.
12. PMO Minister Lim Swee Say - S$2.6 million.
13. Environment Minister & Muslim Affairs Minister Dr Yaccob Ibrahim - S$2.6 million.
14. Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan - S$2.6 million.

15. Finance Minister S Tharman - S$2.6 million.
16. Education Minister & 2nd Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen - S$2.6 million.
17. Community Development Youth and Sports Minister - Dr Vivian Balakrishnan - S$2.5 million.
18. Transport Minister & 2nd Minister for Foreign Affairs Raymond Lim Siang Kiat - S$2.5 million.
19. Law Minister & 2nd Minister for Home Affairs K Shanmugam - S$2.4 million.
20. Manpower Minister Gan Kim Yong - S$2.2 million.
21. PMO Minister Lim Hwee Hwa - S$2.2 million.
22. Acting ICA Minister - Lui Tuck Yew - S$2.0 million.
23 to 30 = Senior Ministers of State and Ministers of State - each getting between S$1.8 million to S$1.5 million.
Note: 1. The above pay does not include MP allowances, pensions and other sources of income such as Directorship, Chairmnship, Advisory, Consultancy, etc to Gov-linked and gov-related organisations or foreign MNCs such as Citigroup, etc.
2. Though it is based on an estimate, the data cannot be far off the official salary scales.
The above was posted in redbeanforum by Green Peas.
(London Times report: http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/mon...the-world.html)

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traitor? I do NS too and proudly. I serve willingly and don't complain

I agree with bringing in foreigners because they are good for business and society.

Locals are too pampered and cannot work

You are an employee

i am an employer. From an employer's point of view, foreigners are much better value for money. They are also more focused on work, unlike locals who are more focused on complaining

Also plse be relevant in your discussion. what the fuck has minister salaries got to do with my topic. Must politicise everything. you love the ministers so much cannot stop thinking of them. oh yeah you need them to nanny you because you are a useless weakling who demands government protection.

Last edited:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
we already have enough cheongster zipping in and out the highway in their wrx and evo ,
at least the blanga are doing it for a decent living but the cheongster are really 在送死

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why?

The root of the problem is money...when MOM was collecting levies, fees, etc.. they were not concern about safety, they foreign workers holding trade work permits, after going for a short test, they are allowed to drive. Whereas a local driver, have to pay through their teeth to get a licence. Not only after so many accidents & deaths & nowat this downturn time...they start to become a vigilante.

A local driver, for simplistic sake, live in Seng Kang, and his work place is in say Benoi/Pioneer/Tuas sector, that will be an approximately 40km plus away from home. The workers he is ferrying to work have to arrive at work place by 6am, if he is allowed to bring the lorry home, the travellimg distance plus the time taken will wear the driver out. That means he has to get up at 4am, and get to where ever the workers are located, and get them to work by 6am. Local companies will not just use the driver for ferrying workers, they will maximize his work, that is, pay $1,800 he puts in work worth of $3,600.

Whereas a Bangla or Indian driver, sleep & live with the workers, the driver do not need to travel long distances to get to work, wake up at the same time as the workers and so forth, of course, he will put in $3,000 worth of work, for $1,200.

Not to mention, for a local driver, after fetching the workers back from work, the driver have to fetch another bacth for over time etc, and by the time, he return the lorry & so forth...he gets home by 1am and by 4am...the driver have to leave for work.

Whereas, the Indian or Bangla driver...do not have all these incoveniences, and can work for $1,200 for they eat cheap, live free...and have many side lines...and convert to Rupees or DK...they get rich.

The local drivers will just suffer...in humilation, for local employers will complain that they are fussy, and MOM, will make a song & dance about this; for they are the creator of the problem...and soon enough the Union will start their song dance too, about training..etc etc..

In short, all local workers are always getting the 'short end of the stick, gets farked all the time, and loosing their income to foreigners in SINgapore.

The condition of work, & the pay they are getting to survive here ( cost of living, paying GST etc), make local workers, seemingly unattrative, and they are forever blamed for their attitude . Is that the case?:mad:

What we are talking is about local drivers.....using the same above substitute for all the work out there...it will be like changing the type of music for the song, the lyrics remain the same....:mad:

SINgapore workers are FARKED!:p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I agree with bringing in foreigners because they are good for business and society.

Locals are too pampered and cannot work

You are an employee

i am an employer. From an employer's point of view, foreigners are much better value for money. They are also more focused on work, unlike locals who are more focused on complaining

Also plse be relevant in your discussion. what the fuck has minister salaries got to do with my topic. Must politicise everything. you love the ministers so much cannot stop thinking of them. oh yeah you need them to nanny you because you are a useless weakling who demands government protection.

You are lucky to live in SINgapore, for the workers do not tie you up on a stake and tar & feather you!:biggrin:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

QUOTE]

Shanghai bitch..

u do NS??

Fuck u!! stop lying:oIo::oIo::oIo:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
If a foreign worker is really competent in driving, then i see no problems. The issue is most don't! We already have enough banglas zipping around in their lorries and hogging the centre and right lanes. They any how do turns and don't bother signalling and giving way. Our roads are dangerous enough for our kids/aged parents as it is without the extra FTs who only need to take the basic theory to start driving on the roads. The money one could save from hiring FTs to drive might be spent on hospital bills for someone else loved ones.

But you missed the point. The point is the locals who are better drivers, didn't want them in the first place. So for all the troubles on the road it's the locals' fault.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204656,00.html?

MOM cracks down on foreign lorry drivers after spate of accidents
DRIVER DILEMMA
Companies say:
Foreign workers now too scared to drive
Local drivers won't work overtime

June 11, 2009

NP_IMAGES_PTDRIVE.jpg

The New Paper, 20 May.

FOR five years, at 7am each morning, he would drive his fellow workers in a pickup to their workplace.

But one morning, just as Mr Rengasamy Murali was about to drive off, he heard a Ministry of Manpower (MOM) officer tap on the window and signal for him to step out.

He and two other foreign workers were then taken to the MOM building on 22 May for an interview.

Four days later, their work permits were cancelled as Mr Murali and his two colleagues - all Indian nationals - had contravened the rules by driving company vehicles when their work permits stated their occupation as construction workers.

Four dead

An accident early last month involving a foreign-worker lorry driver ferrying some workers took four lives and left six others injured.

Since then, MOM has arrested 11 workers who have been driving illegally.

The head of Mr Murali's construction company, who wanted to be known only as Mr Fong, said that three of his six drivers had their work permits cancelled and passports witheld on 22May.

'Last Friday, three of my Indian drivers were taken away by MOM officers and I had to go and surrender their passports. Their work permits were terminated the following Tuesday.

'Now, my three other drivers don't dare to drive and I have no drivers to ferry my workers.'

Mr Fong said that his foreign workers had gone to the Traffic Police to get valid licences to drive in Singapore.

According to the Traffic Police website, foreigners here must convert their foreign driving licences into Singapore driving licences if they wish to drive for more than 12 months.

Work-pass holders with a valid foreign driving licence need not convert their licences if they wish to drive in Singapore for less than 12 months.

However, work-permit and S-pass holders like Mr Murali are not allowed to drive for work-related purposes unless their work permits state their occupation as 'driver'.

Mr Murali said while his work permit states 'construction worker', his duty was only to ferry workers around.

Mr Fong, 45, who has been in the construction industry for 15 years, said that he had no idea his workers were not allowed to drive for work-related purposes.

Without foreign workers to ferry the workers around, Mr Fong has told his workers to travel to and from their worksites by public transport.

Mr Fong claimed he has since applied to have another four to five of his workers redesignated as drivers, but their applications have yet to be approved.

He added that while he is trying to employ locals to ferry his workers, he has not been successful so far.

'Many Singaporeans don't want to be drivers. The workers must be picked up as early as 6am, and sometimes work overtime,' he said.

At another construction company, the boss, Ms Lim, who is in her 40s, managed to employ some Singaporean drivers.

One of her company's four drivers was taken away to be interviewed by MOM officers, also on 22 May, and subsequently had his work permit cancelled.

But Ms Lim now faces a new set of problems. She said: 'I have employed three Singaporean drivers, but they refuse to work beyond 5pm because they want to spend time with their families.

'Now my workers are making noise that if they work overtime, they have to take the public bus back and have to pay their own fare.

'On top of this, Singaporean drivers insist on starting work at only 8am, and my workers can only reach the worksites at 9.30am. My driver from India used to get the workers to the worksite by 8.30am.'

Sandwiched

She now finds herself sandwiched between her workers and drivers, as her drivers often complain to her that the workers are noisy, dirty and smelly after work.

'They are all not happy, but there's nothing I can do,' said Ms Lim.

Ms Lim's company is about eight years old and employs about 150 workers.

She added that her workers sometimes work overtime till about 10pm. 'I cannot afford to give them an allowance to take public transport. Already the company loses one hour of productivity every day because the Singaporean drivers leave late, get caught in traffic jams and have to pay ERP.

'All this means delayed project deadlines and my company may be fined. So much extra cost is being incurred.'

When asked if she would pass on the higher costs to her clients, she said it would be impossible to do so.

'I can't pass them on even if I wanted to. I've already signed the contract and no one saw this coming,' said Ms Lim.

Some construction company owners, such as Mr Lee, are in less of a bind.

After his company's only driver, an Indian national, was taken away, also on the morning of 22 May, he quickly contacted his friend, who agreed to become the company driver.

He added that the company's current driver picks up the workers at 7am and 7pm, and is even willing to pick the workers up when they work overtime.

'I'm quite lucky I guess, compared to the other companies,' he said.

Pearly Tan, newsroom intern

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204655,00.html?

WHAT MOM SAYS
June 11, 2009

IN the recent operation on 22May, 11 foreign construction workers were found to have been illegally deployed as drivers. These workers are assisting MOM with investigations and have been issued with Special Passes.

They were also offered the option of seeking employment through a temporary job scheme (TJS) until the cases have been concluded. Their employers have been barred from hiring new foreign workers or renewing the permits of existing workers.

Although all 11 workers were informed of the scheme, only two turned up to seek employment under the TJS. However, they were only prepared to work as drivers and were not prepared to consider the other jobs on offer.

In granting work permits (WP) to construction companies, MOM has clearly spelt out what constitutes as the permitted job scope of a construction worker.

A construction worker's WP clearly excludes ferrying workers to and from construction sites from his job scope.

Having accepted the WP terms and conditions, construction companies have no reason to deploy their construction workers as workers-ferrying drivers on public roads.

Employers who illegally deploy or employ foreign workers outside the defined job scope will be issued with composition fines or prosecuted in court.

They can be fined up to $15,000 and/or jailed up to 12 months. They will also be barred from hiring new workers or renewing the permits of existing workers.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204654,00.html?

No driving licence, no work
June 11, 2009

WITH HIS licence taken away, Mr Rengasamy Murali and his colleagues are at a loss about what to do next.

Said Mr Murali: 'I don't know the law and system. Boss says want to get Singapore driving licence, I take. Boss says drive, I drive.'

He has been driving his fellow workers to and from worksites for four years since he converted his Indian driving licence into a Class 3 Singapore driving licence in 2005.

Mr Murali's S-pass application was approved just a week before his work permit was cancelled.

Said his boss, Mr Fong: 'He (Mr Murali) is a good worker, serious about his duties and responsible. Over the 10 years, I have seen his capability and initiative.

'To make him eligible for S-pass application, I was prepared to pay him $1,800 a month, up from his previous pay of $1,200.'

Another driver, Mr Murthi, told The New Paper when we visited the dormitory last Monday: 'I have always driven carefully and never had any problems. Now, I cannot work, I have no money and cannot work more even though I want to.'

Both Mr Murali and Mr Murthi have kept their families updated of what has happened to them in Singapore.

Said Mr Murali: 'I told my wife and she said, 'Never mind, just come home.' But I told her I don't even have my passport.'

Another driver, Mr Muthusaravanaan, said: 'If I can't drive, I can work at the construction site. it doesn't matter.

'I can do anything. I just want to work here.'

The Ministry of Manpower has offered the men caught on 22May temporary passes to work in the construction sector, but only two out of the 11 men took up the offer.

Even then, they insisted on working as drivers and did not consider the other jobs on offer, said a ministry spokesman.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This New Paper after so long still consider new paper? :rolleyes: The paper is only good for soccer. But then I realised that all soccer news can be found on the internet thus stopped buying many moons ago.