• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now, in Singapore. Have to make plans to return to Canada. I doubt I will be going back to Markham. Or Toronto. Wouldn't mind Mississauga, more jobs. More local activities too! Been toying with the idea of going to Calgary, (more jobs? - dunnno) Love Vancouver, but can't afford to live there - housing is way beyond affordable, too many Chinks!

Cheers!

As a result of the wild fire, there may be a disruption of the economic activities in Alberta.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, I heard the housing prices there took a beating. But where I go, I need affordable housing, and some economic activity (need to look for a job, still).Kid's schooling is another issue. Overall I suppose as long as there is peace, law, and order, is more important. Other things, just may need to adjust a little here and there. No need to look for big house, but not a cramped one as well. Just a modest dwelling, good friendly neighbours, and some space for a dog to run around, I will be happy. Close to river/lake to fish will be a plus for me.

Cheers!

As a result of the wild fire, there may be a disruption of the economic activities in Alberta.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ya, I heard the housing prices there took a beating. But where I go, I need affordable housing, and some economic activity (need to look for a job, still).Kid's schooling is another issue. Overall I suppose as long as there is peace, law, and order, is more important. Other things, just may need to adjust a little here and there. No need to look for big house, but not a cramped one as well. Just a modest dwelling, good friendly neighbours, and some space for a dog to run around, I will be happy. Close to river/lake to fish will be a plus for me.

Cheers!

Sounds like Singapore to me. Why not just stay in Singapore? It has been good for you so far.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers!

Can bring me to Canada? :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cheers!

Niagara Falls seems to meet your criteria.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello Snowbird (I take it Snowbird is your nick, not your status?). I did not default my NS "obligation." I don't think it is as harsh and as punishing as many blokes describe it to be. To me, I just did it because it was expected of every male citizen coming to that age. Looking back, I actually enjoyed my time in NS. Made friends from different backgrounds, drank lots of tax-free beer, attended lots of parties, experienced military regimentation, and I survived it. I am not in support of NS as being regimented sucks, but just do it. Don't think too much of it.

I have since given up my Singapore citizenship, not because I disliked Singapore, but because she doesn't allow dual citizenship, and I wanted to get my CPF money to pay for a house in Canada, and to get that money, one has to give up that (Singapore) citizenship. As for loyalty and fighting and invading enemy and all that - I do not have any enemies. But if my own family members are endangered, it is my duty and instinct to protect them. So yes, if a hostile army threatens my family and life, I will of course fight. I think this applies to everyone.

BTW, I've been working in Singapore for over five years now. I do not miss Canada as much as I miss my backyard in my house there - barbecue almost every chance I get (even during winter!!) So, when will the liberals legalize pot? Mr. Trudeau promised the voters didn't he? Not that I care - its not going to make any difference to my life. But with the change in the legal status of the weed, there will be some social changes as well.

Cheers!

You must be somebody ...you give up our precious citizenship and they still give you employment pass.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Looking back, I actually enjoyed my time in NS. Made friends from different backgrounds, drank lots of tax-free beer, attended lots of parties, experienced military regimentation, and I survived it. I am not in support of NS as being regimented sucks, but just do it. Don't think too much of it.

BTW, I've been working in Singapore for over five years now. I do not miss Canada as much as I miss my backyard in my house there - barbecue almost every chance I get (even during winter!!) So, when will the liberals legalize pot? Mr. Trudeau promised the voters didn't he? Not that I care - its not going to make any difference to my life. But with the change in the legal status of the weed, there will be some social changes as well.

Cheers!

Agarophobic, I really think you should stay in Singapore. What you need is a house with a backyard in Singapore and you can BBQ everyday.

Seriously.

I know it is very tough living in Canada without good income.

Might be a better plan to apply for Singapore PR especially since you have a good job there and probably good income. Live the Singapore dream. Aim for a landed house with a backyard and it is paradise like eatshitndie says.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore is a nice place for me. Lots of friends here, family, relatives. Quite a busy social life for me here in Singapore. Don't care about politics, only thing I don't like here are the crowds and congestion. Everywhere is crowded. But I can adapt to this. I like visiting places in Malaysia and Indonesia as well. Easy to travel there, affordable too. Eventually, I have to return to Canada, when my E-pass expires, but my mom doesn't want me to leave. How do I tell her, that Canada's new liberal PM is going to legalise pot! It will be heaven there!!! I don't think ma will understand!

Cheers!

Sounds like Singapore to me. Why not just stay in Singapore? It has been good for you so far.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I might likely go to Mississauga next time I go back to Canada. More jobs there than many other urban areas in the country. And just a short drive to the outdoors, lakes, and hiking trails. And just under an hour into downtown Toronto, or the airport. Its got everything there.

Cheers!

Niagara Falls seems to meet your criteria.