• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ong Ye Kung says we are racist

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The son-in-law of one of Singapore's Richest Man and member of the cabinet says Singaporeans are racist. Some how along the way we went thru 7 General Elections plus a number of By elections since 1959 prior to the introduction of GRC and managed with a clear Chinese majority in every single constituency to elect a Jew twice, couple of Eurasians, quite number of Indians as well as Malays.

How come the Chinese majority did not vote nephew of party veteran Lim Kim San but chose JB Jeyaretnam in 1981.

So why did the Chinese elect Michael Palmer and Murali after the introduction of GRC in 1988.

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...tions-in-singapore-are-racially-biased/Source : Channel News Asia.
Netizens disagree with Acting Education Minister’s view that elections in Singapore are racially biased 0
BY NEYLA ZANNIA ON AUGUST 30, 2016 CURRENT AFFAIRS
Channel New Asia posted a televised post-National Day Rally forum where Acting Education Minister Ong Ye Kung said that all races should have a chance to be elected on Monday (29 August).

Responding to a panel of guests, Mr Ong states that back in 1991 when the Elected Presidency was first introduced, there were "some outstanding individuals who were from all races; who were our Presidents and made all of us feel proud."

"I don't believe that just because there are elections, therefore we cannot find such outstanding individuals from all races. The problem, which was revealed in the CNA-IPS survey, is that when it comes to elections, whether voting becomes biased," he said.

He added, "And because everybody, human nature is like that, we are more comfortable with somebody of our own race, and because of that, we are unable to elect a minority president. I think that's really the issue."

Netizens commented on the CNA's Facebook post, with comments that are largely not aligned with Mr Ong's statements:

"I must say, Mr.Ong explained his viewpoint very rationally and logically on the show.On the one hand, this view does make sense. On the other, it completely flips the notion of meritocracy and multiculturalism -- because what's to say that positive discrimination cannot be abused one day?This argument is a slippery slope to the introduction of racial quotas. People will one day demand such reservations to be implemented also for the post of PM, and perhaps even in more ordinary, day to day jobs.Instead of focussing on the race of the candidates, we should be focussed upon finding the best candidates! Singaporeans can judge who to vote for just fine.If not, get rid of the Elected Presidency altogether. Let's not have pre-decided 'democratic' outcomes," Zain Kazmi said.

William Ng wrote, " To sum up, the job should only go to the best candidate regardless of race. Don't have to talk so much. Voters will know what to do when time to cast their vote.

"I don't think any logical Singaporean will object against any race taking up the role of importance.We do however, prefer someone who is truly qualified to their task, don't give us some semi standard person to put him or her on the stage and tell us need him/her to be there just because of the need of minority race to be taking a position of power," said James Tan.

"Huh? I thought Late PM LKY said the president was to safeguard reserve as the primary mover and reason to institutionalize the office of the president.Now eminent LKY passed away, all reasons given by then PM LKY, invalidated?Wow!If this is not roti Prata I don't know what is," wrote Meminion.

Ronald Queh wrote, "Did the voters cast their votes for their president based on race? i personally don't feel that way. I remember the last president election is about who is more eligible to be a president when voters have many choices. In the end, it was a tussle between President Tony Tan and Mr Tan Cheng Bock. Otherwise, I would rather the government scrap the idea of elected president better."

"Race shouldn't be an issue why is the gov bringing in the racial issue again? Didn't this gov say meritocracy is their way of running the country. Well let those who truly qualify run for election regardless of race, language or religion. Oh wait didn't someone say something about that being just an idea," said Matthew Yang.

"As a Neighbourhood School Kid who grew up around people of different races, I really doubt I would vote for my elected officials along racial line, I am more likely to vote for the most capable man on the ticket. I'm sure many Singaporeans feel the same way too, one only need to look at the BB 2016 By-Election earlier this year where an overwhelming Chinese electorate voted in Mr. Murali Pillai of Indian descent, as opposed to his Chinese opponent CSJ.Granted, party affiliation probably played a bigger role in the voters' consideration, but that only goes to show that race is not a crippling factor that the government is now trying to portray it as.I want to believe that my perspective is the product of PAP's meritocracy indoctrination, that no matter who you are or where you come from, you will be judged based on your hard work and not your background; so I must admit that I'm a little disappointed that the government feels so dismal about the success of their meritocratic education system," wrote Song Tao.

Darren Delong said, "So let's put a "RACE" there because we have to appease some people whether he has merits? We should have been a more progressive country now that whatever race he is, as long he is capable, he is fit to be president, we should not care whether he is green, orange, black, red or blue."

Pacino Loh wrote, "While Tony Tan is still the president and pap already decided to play race card & deny his continuance of next election? A bit sad for the 30% Singaporeans who voted him, pap have been treating him like a puppet all these while."

"Was races even a problem? What talking you? Our first President was a Malay, Mr Yusof Ishak, second one was a Eurasian, Mr Benjamin Shears, third one was Mr Devan Nair, an Indian, then, Mr Wee Kim Wee, Mr Ong Teng Cheong, Mr SR Nathan, Mr Tony Tan.. basically all races already covered except you saying we want FT to be our President.. what talking you, ooi? Malay, Indian, Chinese, Eurasian already got already la," wrote Ho Samuel

Last edited:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
His boss aka LHL forced him to say this la.

Every PAP agenda is won, by first pointing its finger at the clueless people, and than self-righteously declared that PAP has all the good intent. It was like whipping & kicking at a sleeping dog when you are in bad temper and than tell the whole world that the dog under your care is naughty.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal
If local born sinkies were not racist, the island would be lost to invading foreigners, who are in the small island for nothing else but jobs, good living, education and medical facilities.

Are they here to protect and defend sinkie land? Only an idiot is a believer.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Sinkies are racists that is why next PM cannot be non chink and next President cannot be chink again. :rolleyes:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Vast majority of people are racists, especially niggers and kelings. They should own up to their racist beliefs instead of hiding behind their dark skins and throwing stones in glass houses.

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
If local born sinkies were not racist, the island would be lost to invading foreigners, who are in the small island for nothing else but jobs, good living, education and medical facilities.

Are they here to protect and defend sinkie land? Only an idiot is a believer.

sorry sg still lost to f trashes......... we hv a big traitor from within!!

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Sinkies are racists that is why next PM cannot be non chink and next President cannot be chink again. :rolleyes:

papigs are not pulling any stop to make sure Halimah Yacock becomes the e Prez........ firstever malay female tudung wearing CB
will score plenty points with the melayu...............if you dun agree, you are racist,,, if you get led by the nose, you are fucking stupid

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Every PAP agenda is won, by first pointing its finger at the clueless people, and than self-righteously declared that PAP has all the good intent. It was like whipping & kicking at a sleeping dog when you are in bad temper and than tell the whole world that the dog under your care is naughty.

I think we have to read between the line here. gay Loong is not looking too good health wise and his kids are not ready. I think he will step down before the next election and count his money. At best, he has another election left in him. They have to prepare the seat warmer, the role that Wooden took. The only palatable choice is now Tharm, as the heir apparent Heng suffered a stroke. Teo Chee hean is not palatable as he is a scholar general and their stock is now at an all time low with the fuck ups by many scholar generals in various Ministries and Stat boards and GLCs. So, if Tharm is the designated next PM, then the trial balloons must be floated up now and the whacking of the populace must start to soften up the resistance to a minority PeeM. Especially an Indian one. SO, they now start calling sinkies rascist and what not, just to make them feel guilty, next will come the great achievements and rich history of apunehs in singapore. And gradually 70% lemmings will come around to their point of view that an apuneh PeeM is ok, by the next election if not after that.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
the bugger is right...

look at his peers quote

parts of little india is dark
\
ft are walking timebomb

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly speaking, anyone who claims that Sinkieland isn't ready to have a non-Chinese Prime Ministar is racist.

Chief Natural Aristocrat is racist too, because on more than one occasion, he claimed that Sinkies weren't ready to accept a Prime Ministar who wasn't Chinese.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
gay Loong is not looking too good health wise and his kids are not ready. I think he will step down before the next election and count his money. At best, he has another election left in him.
Even if Gay Loong won't be your next Prime Ministar, he'll still hold the reins of the island-state. He'll do exactly what Old Fart had done before him.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
This fucker Ong Ye Kung is obviously a man of the past, even though he is still quite young, his fucking mind set is of his father- (ex- communist united front man), he should fucking enjoy his wealth through marriage quitely, wtf is he making stupid noises? for PM Lee to listen if he bother to or has the energy to!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP is a messed up party ...clueless on how to hang on to power and to bring the country forward. That's why you have incoherent statements coming from different people in that party.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ong is merely softening the ground as he was told to do. The terms of reference to the constitutional commission requires them to ensure minority participation which is a red herring. The idea is that they cannot have another of their nominee disgraced like Tony Tan. They also need to sideline Tan Cheng Bock. Ong, CNA, Institute of Policy Studies are doing what the previous AG did about the Cheng San incident.

But you cannot explain these things to the Aunties and Uncles. You just have live with a dishonest government.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
We are all racists.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11702335

printLogo.png

Kyle MacDonald: Are we all racist deep down?

By Kyle MacDonald @kylemacd
8:03 AM Thursday Sep 1, 2016
chaise-01_360_220x147.jpg

We seem hard wired to gravitate to those that look, sound and act like us, and be fearful and suspicious of those who are different to us. Image / NZ Herald

Why is it people only care about those immediate to them rather than applying the same caring to all in society?
If you believe the research: deep down, we're all racist and xenophobic.

So why is it hard to generate caring for people we don't know? And for others, why is that caring limited by political views?

Psychologists have studied this very topic since the inception of the discipline, in part at least because how groups relate to one another is so integral to the functioning of society, and in many ways underlies every war or atrocity ever committed in history. The history of civilization is pretty much a history of killing those that are different.

It's this history that leads evolutionary psychologists to believe that this sort of behavior is hard wired. We seem to gravitate to those that look, sound and act like us, and be fearful and suspicious of those that look and sound different.

Social psychologists talk about "in group/ out group" phenomena, and again it seems an innate human trait. For those that we see as "our people" (in group) it is relatively easy to generate compassion, and those we consider different (out group) easy to dismiss, to not care.

Freud believed that we all had innate primitive drives, he described this part of the human consciousness as the "id" and believed it was the task of civilized people to channel and overcome these primitive aggressive drives.

Now before you ridicule me for bringing up Freud, we now understand that there are actually very powerful unconscious biases at work, especially when it comes to race and difference.

Overall, the research on unconscious bias tends to suggest we are all more racist and xenophobic than we would feel comfortable admitting to ourselves, or anyone else.

Nowhere is this more clear, or more dangerous than in law enforcement, for example the extreme events occurring with terrifying regularity in the USA. As a result research into unconscious biases about race has informed training programs for police in various states in the USA.

Shocked yet? Good. But change is always possible and (to paraphrase Freud) what helps is to make these ideas conscious, so we can actively change them. And whether you think about these attitudes as unconscious biases, primal urges or tribalism encoded in our genes it doesn't matter.

Being kinder to those who don't automatically feel like "our people" is entirely possible. It just takes work.

It helps to consciously expand our ideas about who we see as like us. It helps to spend more time with people who are different, look different and sound different. Experiences break down and change attitudes.

It also helps to consciously focus on extending feelings of compassion to those in pain or suffering, especially strangers or those different to us. Many compassion-based approaches to mindfulness meditation do just this.

And if you need a selfish reason, anger, hate and suspicion aren't good for you. Being able to turn our mind towards compassion and seeing the world through another's eyes is good for us, and decreases our overall stress levels.

And how many things can you do for yourself that is also good for the human race, not to mention world peace?
By Kyle MacDonald @kylemacd

Copyright ©2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pretty poor article. In a completely homogenous society, we are close to family and friends and people we know. In primary school, you are closer to your schoolmates and tend to treat the school nearest to you as rival and their students with apprehension. Thats simple groups dynamics. You can see that from Scandinavia to China. They don't even have to be of different race, religion or creed.

You also see the same dynamic tension between 2 prides of lions despite they coming from the same immediate gene pool. Thats how the DNA operates to ensure the fittest survive and the species remain. Education helps to remove some of this raw aggression and unfounded apprehension in a World that is no longer as harsh as the wild.