• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Where is your favourite Nasi Lemak stall?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember the stall at Golden shoe, yes the Nasi Lemak was good. The stall was indeed closed not because the owner died of heart attack. The guy had 2 wives and one of them dragged the husband and set herself and him alight in the kitchen. The family claimed that then husband tried to save the wife from a kitchen fire and both perished. Anyway the son took over the stall and reopened it.

I can't stand the per hyped, ultra expensive punggol nasi lemak. One of the best nasi lemak is found at Golden Shoe Food Centre in the late 70's - early 80...the stall owner had a heart attack & died & stall was closed. I would eat regular at the Nasi Lemak Stall basement of Lucky Plaza...not the best...but considered good enough...( not that cheap though)....it is $3.80 these days.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The best Nasi Lemak looks like this :

IMG_2491copy-1.jpg

In the 80s, lima pulo sens can get a packet like that, complete with ikan kuning, telur, some kacang, timun and sambal.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80s, lima pulo sens can get a packet like that, complete with ikan kuning, telur, some kacang, timun and sambal.

You also had "food panda" in HDB estates vis a vis the Malay kids who would walk around the corridors carrying the plastic basket crying out "nasi lemak epok epok" to announce that they were making their rounds. And maybe the little brother/sister with the frozen flavoured ice tied in drinking bags.

No more lima pulo sens but $2 for the same from mama stall.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember the stall at Golden shoe, yes the Nasi Lemak was good. The stall was indeed closed not because the owner died of heart attack. The guy had 2 wives and one of them dragged the husband and set herself and him alight in the kitchen. The family claimed that then husband tried to save the wife from a kitchen fire and both perished. Anyway the son took over the stall and reopened it.

Was it? I work around there for ages? & ate at the stall......I had a different story....the actual people preparing & running the stall is gone, those that sprouted up are IMITATION....that was not really nasi lemak....it was Lemak rice, with choices of supposedly to be pandan flavoured rice but green food dye or white, chicken wings, drumstick, egg, kuning fish, anchovies, cucumber, & a large wallop of sambal...

One of my Japanese colleague.."swear" by that stall...ha ha ha...he will come back from a business trip to Tokyo.....fly in to Singapore , head there to eat the food & go to office thereafter..with his bags, coat etc..

The story was he died of a heart attack...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You also had "food panda" in HDB estates vis a vis the Malay kids who would walk around the corridors carrying the plastic basket crying out "nasi lemak epok epok" to announce that they were making their rounds. And maybe the little brother/sister with the frozen flavoured ice tied in drinking bags.

No more lima pulo sens but $2 for the same from mama stall.

kari pok...kari pok....lasi lemak...epok epok......NEA killed those "food pandas"....

sfugel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was from Fowlie School in the late 60's and early 70's.....my tuckshop nasi lemak was the bestest I have tasted....with the sambal and aromatic rice.....salivating with nostalgia of me tucking into it by tha side of the tuckshop,behind the drink stall.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was from Fowlie School in the late 60's and early 70's.....my tuckshop nasi lemak was the bestest I have tasted....with the sambal and aromatic rice.....salivating with nostalgia of me tucking into it by tha side of the tuckshop,behind the drink stall.

Actually it is either the aromatic rice...they way it is cooked with the fluffiness, the smell & the taste plus the pedas sambal or the combination of both enthral us to the nasi lemak, the rest are just side dishes to the packet, right?...the crispy anchovies, the fresh crunchy cucumber slice.... or the fish...

It was later, that the other add-ons came into being, the chicken wing, the chicken drumstick, the slice egg or half boiled egg or....it was not longer the old nasi lemak, wrapped in banana leaves....

NasiLemakMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia nasi lemak is the best.

If you wanna eat it, go for the authentic ones.

I do agree that the best nasi lemak is from the 70s and 80s in sinkieland but not now.

if you want to get the taste of the best nasi lemak, go to Malaysia.

You also eat Nasi Lemak? You like the Fish or chicken wings?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Standards gone down...

It is the same everywhere in Singapore, Standards have gone down. Any corner, where 'their fingers' have touched....standards have gone done...rental increases, & other cots will go up....

:p

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
kuay stall selling packet nasi lemak, kopitiam next to Siglap Ctr.

It is the same everywhere in Singapore, Standards have gone down. Any corner, where 'their fingers' have touched....standards have gone done...rental increases, & other cots will go up....

:p