• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat What I learnt from Nathan - My story

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the press is doing all these stories and many untrue such as voting for him etc and some though genuine does not seem to show the man in better light than the average Singaporean, I thought I better throw in my story as well. Feel free to contribute your story.

In the early 1970s, the family's pineapple plantation was hit with a blight. My father the sole breadwinner had never seen the fruits in such a condition before. His was the only pineapple plantation in Pulau Ubin and therefore was lost on who to consult. No one in Ubin could throw any light why the pineapples were glowing the dark. If we could not harvest the crop that year, the family would not be able to feed itself and debts from previous years had to be paid. As the eldest, my father told me his best hope is to seek the help of an rotund Indian gentleman who would may find an answer. He told me to take the sampan and head to Changi and meet up with Ah Ter who could be found in the Taxi Association kiosk at Changi point.

The moment Ah Ter saw he asked me if it was about the "Nanas" I was taken by surprise as he seemed to know about the situation. He told me to take Bus No.2 and head to New Bridge Road. I got off at the designated bus-stop and made my way thru temple street to An Siang Hill. I entered a shop house the number for which was provided by Ah Ter on a piece of paper. Lo and behold there was a rotund Indian gentleman seated behind a table. He saw me an beckoned me over. As I reached the table he told me he is aware of the glowing pineapples and asked me what I have done for the family. I did not expect that question and froze temporarily with my mouth open. he then began shuffling some papers on the desk and seemed to be preoccupied. I then said that I helped when I could. Immediately he looked up and told me that I could go. I was stunned and shocked at the same time. Words deserted me. I without even realising turned and walked out. It was only when Bus No. 2 was reaching Changi point that I realised that I had subconsciously headed to the bus-stop and boarded it, all the while lost in thought.

I took the sampan and rowed back to Ubin. Half way in the straits, it then dawned me that responsibility on my part was missing. I reached home and told my father what happened and the lesson that I learnt. That night I went with my father for the first time to see the pineapples. It was not glowing. My father however said he clearly can see it glowing. I then realised that moonlight hitting the sea behind the rows of pineapples might have created an effect to his elderly eyes. The next morning I took my father to clinic in Changi and the found cataracts in both eyes.

Till today I tell my my friends and family about the rotund Indian gentleman that changed my World and taught me the meaning of responsibility. When he became President I sent him a big basket of pineapples and ever the gracious gentleman he sent a handwritten note of thanks. When we meet at odd occasions, he will call out "Nanas" and we would have a chat. The World has lost an exceptional person.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is Bertha Henson's story about the man.

http://themiddleground.sg/author/bertha/by Bertha Henson

I SUPPOSE most of us knew in our heart of hearts, that he would be leaving this world. Mr S. R. Nathan was 92 and had been in hospital since July 31. No one could have missed the parade of grim-faced VIPs who had visited him in Singapore General Hospital since Day 1. They called on people to pray for him and wish him well. There was no hint that he would recover.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong opened his rally speech on Sunday night (Aug 21) by referring to Mr Nathan. He told of how Mr Nathan had written to him after last year’s rally in his “beautiful hand’’ congratulating him on his speech. He saw him last on Friday (Aug 19) where Mr Nathan remained critically ill and unconscious.

This is a Singaporean who lived a full life, starting as a medical social worker and rising to the office of President. In between, he was a civil servant, a diplomat who was once Singapore’s envoy to the United States and Malaysia, two sensitive positions that were entrusted to him, and he had served in the corporate world as well, including as executive chairman of the Straits Times Press.

And in case you didn’t know, he was a hero.

In 1974’s infamous incident with the Japanese Red Army, he courageously went along with four terrorists in order to guarantee a safe passage to Kuwait, and ensure that their five civilian hostages remained unharmed. Despite being rebuked by Kuwaiti authorities, he intelligently negotiated the hostages’ release, and was appropriately given a National Day award along with a Meritorious Medal in the same year.

My first meeting with Mr Nathan was terrifying. His secretary called me to his office, which was in Times House. You would agree that a summons from the chairman is scary for a reporter who has been in the business for less than a year. I mounted the stairs to his room, notebook and pen in hand, wondering what was in store.

“Chairman” had a visitor, someone I interviewed during the week and whose profile was soon to be published. Mr Nathan said the visitor wanted to speak to me and promptly started busying himself with some papers on his desk. The visitor wanted to have a look at my report before publication. I said I could not do that, all the time trying to discern the look on Mr Nathan’s face. He seemed terribly absorbed in the pile of papers he was shuffling and reading, although I’m sure he was listening to every word.

We exchanged some pleasantries and I asked if I could leave. Mr Nathan looked up as though seeing me for the first time and said yes, of course I could go.

I supposed I was too green to recognise that pressure was being put on me to break an editorial rule by cornering me in front of the chairman. Studiously, Mr Nathan didn’t intervene. For a while I wondered if I did right or wrong. Was this some sort of test or what? Some time later, I reminded Mr Nathan of the incident. He said he couldn’t remember.

I’ve never worked directly for him as so many civil servants have. I knew he didn’t have a good reception when he was put in charge of the newspapers and had to endure black armband wearing journalists who greeted his arrival. To us journalists, he was the man in a white shirt and blue pants who would walk through the newsroom on his way in and from his upstairs office. Such an unthreatening figure. So much so that one journalist mistook him for an office assistant once and asked him to return some files to the library. He did it without a murmur. The journalist never lived down the gaffe.

I had some dealings with him when he became Singapore’s High Commissioner in Malaysia and when he was later posted to the US. He was always fatherly, asking if the accommodation was alright and making suggestions on where to eat. We had a running joke about him trying to matchmake me with a handsome Burmese who owned a restaurant in Washington and how, because of a booking mistake, I was installed in a suite at the Watergate hotel which was bigger than his.

He would rib me about it whenever he saw me.

This is not to say that he was only full of bonhomie. Whenever he got serious, his mouth would turn down, his eyes would bore into you and his finger would start wagging.

When he became President, I asked to be invited to the Istana for lunch. Yes, I asked. Because I was put in charge of an editorial project and wanted to hear his views on how to operate the business. I can’t remember what transpired at lunch but I remember what happened later. Knowing that I couldn’t drive, he got his butler to take me in the Istana buggy to the main gate. In the end, I was driven to nearby Plaza Singapura where there was a taxi stand. It’s probably illegal I know and there were so many pairs of eyes on us that I think I blushed to the roots of my hair. But… what a ride!

I know why he was such a trusted civil servant. He had a great sense of duty. He lived and breathed duty. I’ve always wondered why he took on a second term of the presidency when he should be enjoying retirement with his grandchildren. I think it was the call of duty again.

He’s gone, and so has Mr Chua Kim Yeow, aged 90, who died on Sunday (Aug 21). Not many people knew of this man except old-time civil servants. Yet he was Singapore’s first Accountant-General and had run against the late Mr Ong Teng Cheong for the office of Singapore’s first elected president in 1993. At that time, we wondered about this man, who seemed to have come out of nowhere. He had been persuaded out of retirement to run for election. Why did he say yes when he admitted to being reluctant, I wondered. I suppose that again, it was about duty. Like Mr Nathan, he was among the pioneer generation of Singaporeans who settled the foundations of this country. When I read the history of GIC, I learnt more about him.

Singapore is losing its store of experience. Members of the pioneer generation, to put it starkly, are dying out. I hope that someone somewhere has collected all the experiences of this generation, who went through war, turmoil and had to fashion a new country. I happen to think theirs was Singapore’s greatest generation.

Rest in peace, Mr Nathan and Mr Chua

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here is Bilahari's Story.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/rest-easy-boss-we-will/3070924.htmlMr Kausikan's eulogy is reproduced in full below:

Mr Nathan influenced me even before I joined MFA. One of Mr Nathan’s best friends was the late Chia Cheong Fook who was also once Permanent Secretary of MFA. Mr Chia was my father’s best friend. I grew up vaguely conscious of Mr Nathan as a background presence — obviously a personality to be reckoned with, but without clear resolution.
It was only in the earlier part of the 1970s that Mr Nathan acquired sharp focus in my consciousness. I was then pretending to study in the University of Singapore. I did something that could potentially have had serious ramifications — what I am never going to say, so don’t bother to ask. Nobody knew what I did except my fellow conspirators — or so I fondly believed — but things began to go pear-shaped and I thought I’d better come clean before everything crashed.
I telephoned my father, then (Singapore’s Ambassador) in Moscow. Before I could say anything on a line that like all Embassy lines was obviously tapped, my father said he knew about it and told me to tell Mr Chia. I dutifully called Mr Chia. Again before I could say anything he said he knew about it, and told me to go and meet Mr Nathan at MFA which was then in City Hall, now our National Gallery.
With more than a little trepidation, I made my way to City Hall and was tremblingly admitted into Mr Nathan’s presence. He wasn’t then working in MFA. He must have just borrowed an office in MFA to meet me as he was then in a department whose very existence a callow youth should not know about let alone visit. Again he already knew all about what in the innocence of youth I had thought was secret. Why did you do it, he demanded. I answered the best I could. Mr Nathan sat in grim faced silence, apparently pondering what I said.
Who else was involved, he suddenly barked at me. No one I said. Don’t lie. No one, I insisted. Again he pondered in silence. I sat before him nervously for what seemed an eternity.
Will you take responsibility, he finally asked. Exasperation momentarily overcame fear. That’s what I’ve been trying to do, I snapped.
What’s the worst that can happen to you, Mr Nathan snapped back. I don’t know, I replied, puzzled. Will you be hanged, he asked.
I don’t think so, I replied, by this time thoroughly discombobulated, which I now realise was his intention.
Mr Nathan broke into a smile — and those of you who know him should know he had a very charming smile — So what are you worried about? You did what you thought was right, it was stupid, but you won’t be hanged. Go, he said.
I got up and made for the door. He called me back. Good that you are willing to take responsibility for what you thought was right, he said. Never evade responsibility, but if you want to play such games again, ask someone who knows how, he said. I fled.
I then had no idea that I would one day join MFA. But I tell this story in his memory because it eventually dawned on me that the lessons he intended to impart were of great and continuing relevance to foreign service officers.
I lived my career in MFA by those lessons and today, in Mr Nathan’s memory, I pass them on to you, my younger colleagues.
First, clever as you may be, you are not as clever as you may think. You need others. Work as a team.
Second, take responsibility for what you do; do your duty without fear. Be loyal to your team.
That was not to be the last time I made my way to Mr Nathan’s office with trepidation. Subsequent occasions were as a foreign service officer.
Mr Nathan was tough on us. He had to be to whip us into shape. He had high standards that he would not compromise. He treated service to the country with high seriousness and taught us to take service seriously too. He was our mentor — a lifelong mentor. Mr Nathan left an indelible mark on MFA and all who worked for him. All subsequent PSs (permanent secretaries) only built on the foundations Mr Nathan laid.
Today MFA is an organisation that is respected worldwide. You can be proud of being part of an organisation Mr Nathan shaped. MFA is his monument. Do not let him down.
In March this year, Mr Nathan hosted lunch for a group of the survivors of MFA’s City Hall days; as many of the aged but alive, ambulant and in country, of the old guard that could be rounded up, as well as (former senior civil servant) Benny Lim for whom Mr Nathan had great respect and affection.
I was hard on you, he told us, but you all always served me faithfully and I may not have told you before, but I want all of you to know that I appreciate it as this may be the last time we can meet together.
These were not his exact words — I was too moved to remember exactly; in the old days if he had known I didn’t take precise notes, I would have been in for a scolding — but that was the gist.
As hard-bitten a crew as those at that lunch all were, I’d bet that the others were as moved as I was.
When Mr Nathan was taken ill, I went to see him in hospital. His daughter told me that of all the many and varied appointments in which Mr Nathan served, he told his family that MFA was special to him, the others were duty.
We may have on occasion grumbled about him being a hard task-master, but I think all those who served him knew that MFA was special to him.
Mr Nathan demanded loyalty: Loyalty to colleagues, loyalty to the organisation and above all, loyalty to Singapore. But he more than amply repaid loyalty with loyalty; he took responsibility for us and never denied responsibility for us even when we were the brunt of well-deserved criticism. He scolded us when he had to; he never let us down. Work done, he treated us as family. Long after he left MFA, he kept a paternal eye on us. I suspect he’s doing so still.
And thus Mr Nathan in turn inspired loyalty, respect and affection. That is why to those of us who were privileged to serve him, Mr Nathan will forever be The Boss.
I can now almost hear Mr Nathan’s shade growling in my ear: Stop the long palaver and get back to work!
Rest easy Boss, we will not let you down.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This just proves what a remarkable person Nathan was. He could change lives without having to say a word. Few people have such a gift. Singapore has lost a great man.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
We had a running joke about him trying to matchmake me with a handsome Burmese who owned a restaurant in Washington

That Burmese was me. I took one look at Bertha and told Nathan that it would never work.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...for-the-theatre-and-the-support-that-he-gave/
By Ivan Heng

I shall always remember Mr S R Nathan with great fondness and admiration. We worked with him under the auspices of The President's Challenge to raise awareness and funds for the less fortunate, and he graced the Rice Ball on many occasions as Guest of Honour.

Apart from the myriad causes he championed, he loved the theatre. When we first started Wild Rice, he invited myself, Tony and Glen to tea at the Istana to find out more about our plans for Wild Rice and the state of the Arts. I remember having a philosophical discussion about Herman Hesse's Siddhartha. And reflecting on censorship and the bureaucracy, he just shrugged it off and encouraged us to press on. He truly saw value in the theatre's power to bring Singaporeans together.

Together with his dearest wife and family, Mr Nathan attended almost every Wild Rice pantomime. He came in his private capacity, eschewing pomp and ceremony. It was wonderful watching the show with him, laughing with audiences - looking over to me with a wink at our political satire and innuendo. Mr Nathan always made it a point to stay back after the show to thank the cast and crew. He had a warm handshake and kind words to say to everyone. And a true gentlemen that he was, there was always a handwritten note that followed.

Thank you very much, Mr Nathan for your lifetime of commitment to Singapore; and for your friendship, belief and support. On behalf of all at Wild Rice and our audiences, we send our deepest condolences to Mrs Nathan and your loved ones at this sad time. Rest in peace and may flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest.

nathan wildrice 5 nathan wildrice 4 nathan wildrice 3 nathan wildrice 2

Ivan Heng is the artistic director of W!LD RICE. This was first published on Ivan Heng's Facebook page and reproduced with permission.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/s-r-nathan-treated-everyone-equal-including-staff
RESTAURANT OWNER REMINISCES ABOUT MR S R NATHAN'S FRIENDLINESS

Aug 25, 2016 6:00am
BY JUDITH TAN

It was supposed to have been a quiet Valentine's Day lunch for former President S R Nathan and his wife, courtesy of grandson Kiron.

The place: Quentin's, at the Eurasian Association just across the road from their home in Ceylon Road.

Instead, Mr Nathan spent about 45 minutes posing for pictures with other patrons.

REGULAR: Mr S R Nathan and his wife Urmila Nandey were often spotted at Quentin’s. TNP PHOTO: JEREMY LONG
"He was always happy to oblige," the restaurant's owner, Mr Quentin Pereira, told The New Paper, of that incident which happened a few years ago.

"Mr Nathan was a very down-to-earth man. He did not put on airs. He treated everyone as his equal, including the staff at my restaurant."

Mr Pereira said Mr Nathan, who invited friends and family to his home every Deepavali, would also extend the invitation to the staff at Quentin's.

"(During Deepavali) he told them to go over for a bite before the restaurant got busy. He was very sweet to have done that."

RESTAURANT OF CHOICE

Being just "a hop and a skip" away, Quentin's became the late president's restaurant of choice.

"He and his family ate here regularly. He particularly loved the mee goreng. He could even tell if the noodles were cooked by someone else and not me," Mr Pereira said with a laugh.

Mr Nathan's grandson, now 24, could often be found in the pool room of the Eurasian Association or at Quentin's.

"Kiron loves coming here since he was 10. He would often hang out and his grandparents would be concerned that he was being a nuisance. Mr Nathan would often apologise, saying he hoped Kiron wasn't a bother," Mr Pereira said.

Whenever Mr Nathan travelled, he would bring back souvenirs for Mr Pereira.

"He gave me a bottle of wine from the Taj Mahal and a penknife from Switzerland. Often, these gifts came with a note that said, 'Thank you for taking care of Kiron'.

"He even remembered I had told him that my son loves cars. He would get books on cars or tiny toy cars for the boy."

And every year when Mr Nathan returned from the National Day Parade, residents would line Ceylon Road to wave tiny flags to greet him.

"And every year, Mr Nathan would get out of his car to shake their hands," Mr Pereira recalled.

"Such a humble, unassuming man. Ceylon Road will not be the same again. We will all miss him."

He and his family ate here regularly. He particularly loved the mee goreng. He could even tell if the noodles were cooked by someone else and not me.

- Quentin's owner, Mr Quentin Pereira

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...ne-equal-including-staff#sthash.5uTBajIy.dpuf

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This just proves what a remarkable person Nathan was. He could change lives without having to say a word. Few people have such a gift. Singapore has lost a great man.

I know what you are getting at. The new generations of PAP talked too much and screwed up as much.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
must also include this one:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ex-president-s-r-nathan-enjoyed-eating-my-briyani-102527367.html

pic11.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got up this morning and it became abundantly clear that everyone had a story about Nathan - journalist, diplomat, theatre artiste, restauranteur and many more. When I meet St Peter I have no intention to be the odd one out. Save yourself.

Please stop before I puke.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I don't know Nathan but he certainly displayed all the typical characteristics of an Indian.. sucking up to whoever is in charge and milking the relationship for all it is worth be it Jap, Brit or Lee.

I had an Indian Manager who behaved exactly the same way. His skill was in reading the situation and identifying who had the most influence within the company. As the sands shifted so too would his loyalty.

Nathan stood for absolutely nothing. There is nothing wrong with a polite eulogy but all this gushing praise and admiration stuff is really making me sick.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you captured it in a nutshell. I know he was very close to the late Tay Seow Huah who was close to the PM and started SID. Until Bilahari mentioned that his best friend was Chia Cheong Fook, it made perfect sense. Chia stayed with Old man's family during the War years as a relative. Chia was MFA's Perm Sec for more than 10 years. Nathan was also close to GKS who he reported to for 9 years.

I guess his strength was making himself indispensable to the right parties. I don't think he even realised how he would be perceived by others. He also brought in his younger brother into the union fold as result of his ties with Devan.

Quite an operator. No wonder the Japs put him up in Adelphi Hotel when he visited from Johor.

I don't know Nathan but he certainly displayed all the typical characteristics of an Indian.. sucking up to whoever is in charge and milking the relationship for all it is worth be it Jap, Brit or Lee.

I had an Indian Manager who behaved exactly the same way. His skill was in reading the situation and identifying who had the most influence within the company. As the sands shifted so too would his loyalty.

Nathan stood for absolutely nothing. There is nothing wrong with a polite eulogy but all this gushing praise and admiration stuff is really making me sick.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
THE DAY S R NATHAN GRACED COUPLE'S WEDDING PHOTO

NO REQUEST WAS TOO SMALL FOR FORMER PRESIDENT S R NATHAN

Aug 25, 2016 6:00am
BY DAVID SUN

It was a pre-wedding photo shoot like no other.

Four years ago, photographer Alwin Lim, now 37, was doing a morning shoot for a young couple at East Coast Park.

Mr S R Nathan was strolling near the beach as part of his usual morning exercise.

When the bride-to-be saw the former president, her husband-to-be approached Mr Nathan to ask if he could pose for a photo with them.

But the quick-thinking photographer managed to get Mr Nathan to join in the pre-wedding photo shoot instead.

"We happened to see him taking a stroll, so we approached him to be part of the couple's photo shoot, and he agreed," said Mr Lim, who was working for Lightedpixels Photography at the time.

He asked Mr Nathan to sit on a bench next to the couple, with the bride-to-be sitting on her groom's lap.

FIVE-MINUTE SHOOT

Mr Nathan sat on the bench for about five minutes, allowing Mr Lim to take four shots for the couple's wedding photo album, Yahoo News reported in 2012.

Recalling the memorable incident, he told The New Paper that Mr Nathan was friendly and accommodating.

"Mr Nathan also wished the couple well in their marriage," added Mr Lim, who now runs his own studio, Trouve Photography.

When the photo was posted on the Lightedpixels Photography Facebook page in 2012, it went viral, with many people wishing the couple a joyous marriage.

There was also some furore, with some netizens wondering whether it was disrespectful to get the former president to pose for a wedding photo.

With Mr Nathan's passing, the four-year-old photo has resurfaced on social media, with several netizens using it as part of their condolences to Mr Nathan's loved ones.

Mr Nathan died at the Singapore General Hospital on Monday. He was 92.

Mr Lim has reposted an edited version of his photo from the smrtsg Instagram account on his Instagram page with the caption: "#rememberingsrnathan Rest in Peace Sir".

The post features the original image on top. Below it is an edited image without Mr Nathan.

Mr Lim said the couple in the photo declined to be interviewed.

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-news/s-r-nathan-posed-couples-wedding-photo#sthash.3TyJQHAL.dpuf

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nathan was probably smarter than we think. He knew his limits and how to work within them to his best advantage. He is probably having the last laugh while we bitch.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since the press is doing all these stories and many untrue such as voting for him etc and some though genuine does not seem to show the man in better light than the average Singaporean, I thought I better throw in my story as well. Feel free to contribute your story.

I still don't get the "nanas" story....I need to go eat a nanas to get enlightened....surely there must be plenty of ghost writers sprouting up now to dispel the disquiet of paying this dark blob so many millions...

Trying to drum up feeling that the money was well paid....I was down at The Adelphi today....many of those going there were "asked" to go...you can see people of various organisations in their T shorts with logos...I saw one YMCA...etc...many army boys of different units...most likely very happy to go there..can get day off....& many school children of different schools...

I am sure many of us..won't even bat at eye to bother to go........if he was so good a person... during his lifetime, could have accepted the job as a president for a NOMINAL SUM say....$1? or may $2.....RIGHT?...if he really did that....I will be the first in the Q...even it pours like "cats & dogs"...

We have one more day....:p

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah! WP Sylvia Lim also got nathan's connection, it a good thing she reveal for us to see. Thank God!

August 22 at 7:31am ·

https://www.facebook.com/sylvialim65/posts/1774809129423539

It is with sadness that I learn of the passing of President SR Nathan. President Nathan has been a public servant practically all his life. He believed in Singapore, from the early days before independence when our survival was by no means guaranteed. My father had the privilege of working alongside him in the MID (Ministry of the Interior and Defence), and they became friends for life.
I benefitted from their friendship too. When I became NCMP in 2006, President Nathan was very kind to me and generous with his precious time. He always made it a point to summon me when the occasion presented itself, just to say Hello and to ask how things were going.
I shall miss his warmth and grace.
My family and I send our deepest condolences to President Nathan's family for their loss. May he rest in peace.