• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat look at the queue for nathans wake

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he was the much-loved people's president. it is expected that thousands of people will queue overnight to pay the final respects. wtf, even the 70% knew that he was an useless clown.

Useless clown is ok as many like keechiu and Zorro around but seems word is getting out about this traitor past that's turning people off

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
TODAY really wanna stir some shit. Haha.... posted pic of Prataman standing beside crooked Japanese soldier during World War when so many ppl had suffered.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/sr-nathan-humble-beginnings

6_p4_01_0.jpg

Mr SR Nathan (right) seen here with a Japanese officer during World War II. Mr Nathan was an interpreter during the war. Photo: Mr Nathan's personal collection.

Expelled from school, S R Nathan spent youth in poverty, worked odd jobs to survive
mail
print
View all 49 comments

PUBLISHED: 11:02 PM, AUGUST 22, 2016UPDATED: 7:29 AM, AUGUST 23, 2016
SINGAPORE — At 16, he had been expelled from school a second time, and, too ashamed to face his mother, began leading the life of a runaway, sleeping in five-foot ways and begging for food.

For Mr S R Nathan, it was a long way from his relatively comfortable early years as the son of a law clerk. And it was an even longer way from the be-suited figure who would welcome royalty and world leaders to the Republic as President.

If anyone had ever suggested that one day my husband would be president, I would have responded with utter disbelief.
Madam Urmila Nandey
MR NATHAN'S WIFE, IN JUNE 1945
RELATEDNEWS
SINGAPORE
S R Nathan: The envoy in the hot seat — twice
AUGUST 23
SINGAPORE
S R Nathan, 'who always put country before self', dies
AUGUST 22
SINGAPORE
'We've lost an outstanding Singaporean'
AUGUST 23
SINGAPORE
State Funeral for S R Nathan on Friday
AUGUST 23
Born in Singapore on July 3, 1924, Mr Nathan spent his early years in Muar, Malaysia, where his father Sellapan worked.

Until a rubber industry slump in the 1930s hit the economy and the law firm at which his father worked, Mr Nathan enjoyed a childhood with occasional luxuries, such as British biscuits and toys ordered from Robinson’s, then located in Raffles Place.

With his income drastically reduced, Sellapan turned to drink. He eventually left the firm and moved the family to Singapore, where they shuttled from house to house, living under the good graces of relatives.

His father, still drinking, found work as a supervisor at a quarry in Changi, but his family saw little of what he made.

In his memoir, An Unexpected Journey, Mr Nathan recalled: “He used to come home on Saturday afternoons sometimes without any money, probably having drunk it all away.”

One Sunday, when he was eight, his father brought crabs home for the family’s lunch. Then he left the house. That night, the family was informed by the police that Sellapan had killed himself by drinking household disinfectant.

In the preface of An Unexpected Journey, Mr Nathan would look back on these early years with emotion.

“Tears still come to my eyes when I remember how the lives of my mother, sisters, brother and myself were smashed to pieces by the suicide of my beloved father, and how my mother, with seven children, was then deserted and despised by relatives.”

The family was saved from living on the streets by an aunt, who took them into her home on Ceylon Road. Life, while simple, had achieved a degree of stability — only to be shattered again when Mr Nathan was accused of stealing textbooks and expelled from Victoria Morning School.

With help from a boatman who felt sorry for the runaway, Mr Nathan managed to find work as an office boy, before venturing to Muar with what he said was $9 in his pocket.

There, he drifted from job to job — delivering letters, giving tuition, working as a hawker’s assistant — and living in a kampung.

At times, he would cry, feeling the pain he caused his mother by running away, “deserting her when I should have stood by her as the eldest son, to give her the comfort and support she needed”.

World War II brought about a change in fortunes. Encountering a Japanese officer seeking directions, Mr Nathan, who spoke English, was asked to accompany the officer to the market.

Soon, he began running errands for Japanese officers, and, at the encouragement of the officer, who gave him an English-Japanese dictionary, he began learning Japanese.

When the company was due to be pulled out from Muar a few months later, a new job was secured for Mr Nathan at a Japanese firm.

There, his command of Japanese caught the eye of another Japanese officer working for the inspector-general of police for Johor, and he was hired to join the Japanese civilian police, with which he stayed for the rest of the war until the Japanese surrendered.

Recollecting the war years, Mr Nathan reflected: “For many people, World War II was an appalling time. For me, in my teens and with little knowledge of the world or the impact of the war on others, it brought opportunity, after I learnt to speak some simple Japanese.

“It was the first time anyone had told (me) I had a good mind ... With just a little encouragement from an unexpected quarter, my confidence began to rebuild itself.”

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you were in the q to pay respect to LKY?
I did not queue nigger and just to remind you lky's wake was held at parliament house at North bridge road but his corpse was in the Istana too but the queues for his wake was at parliament house in case you forgot which was just last year. There were crowds everywhere when they moved his body

Last edited:

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The perception of the people is He received and received and received and never helped the people.
So what he got all the money in the world but his name is tainted,stigmatised and infamous.

Velma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time to mobilise grassroots, rc, civil servants and NS boys to the wake.
Heard Prata with matcha will be provided in Honour of his service to Ceylon and the Empire of Japan

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
,,when Mr Nathan was accused of stealing textbooks and expelled ,,.

I never like to speak ill of the deceased.. but this guy is definitely a slimeball from young.

Textbook thief, jap collaborator, union spy, chief spy, silent president....

Will more revelations of his colourful past emerge?