• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat The Enigma that is Nathan

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure how best to put this out but this one senior civil servant and public figure that I can never figure out. I don't think anyone understood the man except maybe the old man. He never did strike me as someone that was intelligent or smart, yet he headed SID, became a Perm Sec and went on to be diplomat holding key appointments.

Those who knew him better, please chip in.

Here are some anecdotes to describe the man

1) When he was Chairman of SPH, he was invited to give a talk to course participants to the SAF Command and Staff College. It catered for the senior staff of SAF as well some foreign invited officers. He turned up and gave a talk about how newspapers are printed including the night run. Everyone was embarrassed including the foreign participants.The topic was on the role of the press or something similar and they expected something along the lines of challenges, censorship, role of the govt vs the press, strategic and sensitive issues. And he was a Perm Sec.

2) The Board Directors of SPH realised that this man, their Chairman was out of his depth and began to have prior discussions and reached decisions prior to the actual board meetings. We are talking about the likes of Wee Cho Yaw of UOB and Lien Ying Chow of OUB.

3) Despite his past of heading SID, when he was Ambassador to Malaysia, SID operations in Malaysia was compromised which led to a number of operatives been banned from entry to Malaysia. The Malaysian Govt also asked for his removal and he was then reassigned to the Embassy in the US.

4) When he took over from Tommy Koh as Singapore's US Ambassador to the US, the embassy went close to a meltdown as Tommy ran an intellectual and very liberal embassy where staff including drivers and embassy of various nationalities were treated as equals. Nathan ran it as a total bureaucracy. It became a mini MFA. Nathan does not drink and the concept of alcohol was very uncomfortable for and it naturally it became an irritant for others.

5) His son moved from one GLC to another courtesy of the father and then eventually got a job as a lobbyist for American and German interest on "Asean" trade matters. Note the association with the father's roles. Very mysterious figure.

6) In his memoirs he talks about his time with the Japanese Police and how they sent him down to Singapore from Malaysia and accommodated him at Adelphi Hotel while he was in Singapore. He obviously had not clue on the implications of what he wrote.

7) Laju incident is another mystery. Which head of an Intelligence Unit offers himself to a bunch of terrorist? Who then controls the situation. It struck me as poor planning and complete lack of foresight.

8) When he got his daughter the posting that she wanted with the predecessor of ACRA, the daughter's husband also jumped on the bandwagon and joined the Legal Service. Unfortunately people in power were not prepared to do favours for the son-in-law, he left the Legal service shortly thereafter.

Anyone can think anything this famous individual did that merits some recognition.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How did get appointed to all those positions, especially Head of SID, High Commissioner to Malaysia, Ambassador to the USA, and elected as the President of Singapore, for two terms?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
During his short but probably very rewarding tenure with the Kempeitai, was he awarded any honors by the Imperial court? It would be a travesty of justice if he was not rewarded even after World War II.

Smelly smelly should also be awarded the Order of the Chrysanthemum Grand Cordon as a head of state and best employee of the year (1943) for the Imperial Army.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess who will get the State Funeral that Ong Teng Cheong did not. Things like this will cumulatively diminish the standing of the rulers in the eyes of the people. Yes, we may only have Hobson's choice but that is only buying time for them. Once governments cannot deliver, they will divide and rule order matters through repression, the process is so subtle even they will not grasp it.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
He also said while being a President he miss his 2 half boil eggs taken wit kaya toast every mornin at a Coff Shop, Ceylon Rd.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In those day labour matters was a major political issue because of communism, strikes etc and Nathan started of there. You had to develop some level of intelligence framework. After that I have no idea why him.

They are going to have a hard time with his obituary. Accept for the roles he held, what he achieved is a complete blank. They will probably end up spinning the Laju story to no end.

How did get appointed to all those positions, especially Head of SID, High Commissioner to Malaysia, Ambassador to the USA, and elected as the President of Singapore, for two terms?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not sure how best to put this out but this one senior civil servant and public figure that I can never figure out. I don't think anyone understood the man except maybe the old man. He never did strike me as someone that was intelligent or smart, yet he headed SID, became a Perm Sec and went on to be diplomat holding key appointments.

Those who knew him better, please chip in.

Here are some anecdotes to describe the man

1) When he was Ex-Chairman of SPH, he was invited to give a talk to course participants to the SAF Command and Staff College. It catered for the senior staff of SAF as well some foreign invited officers. He turned up and gave a talk about how newspapers are printed including the night run. Everyone was embarrassed including the foreign participants.The topic was on the role of the press or something similar and they expected something along the lines of challenges, censorship, role of the govt vs the press, strategic and sensitive issues. And he was a Perm Sec.

2) The Board Directors of SPH realised that this man, their Chairman was out of his depth and began to have prior discussions and reached decisions prior to the actual board meetings. We are talking about the likes of Wee Cho Yaw of UOB and Lien Ying Chow of OUB.

3) Despite his past of heading SID, when he was Ambassador to Malaysia, SID operations in Malaysia was compromised which led to a number of operatives been banned from entry to Malaysia. The Malaysian Govt also asked for his removal and he was then reassigned to the Embassy in the US.

4) When he took over from Tommy Koh as Singapore's US Ambassador to the US, the embassy went close to a meltdown as Tommy ran an intellectual and very liberal embassy where staff including drivers and embassy of various nationalities were treated as equals. Nathan ran it as a total bureaucracy. It became a mini MFA. Nathan does not drink and the concept of alcohol was very uncomfortable for and it naturally it became an irritant for others.

5) His son moved from one GLC to another courtesy of the father and then eventually got a job as a lobbyist for American and German interest on "Asean" trade matters. Note the association with the father's roles. Very mysterious figure.

6) In his memoirs he talks about his time with the Japanese Police and how they sent him down to Singapore from Malaysia and accommodated him at Adelphi Hotel while he was in Singapore. He obviously had not clue on the implications of what he wrote.

7) Laju incident is another mystery. Which head of an Intelligence Unit offers himself to a bunch of terrorist? Who then controls the situation. It struck me as poor planning and complete lack of foresight.

8) When he got his daughter the posting that she wanted with the predecessor of ACRA, the daughter's husband also jumped on the bandwagon and joined the Legal Service. Unfortunately people in power were not prepared to do favours for the son-in-law, he left the Legal service shortly thereafter.

Anyone can think anything this famous individual did that merits some recognition.

Thank you for all this damaging info which will not be publicised by the Sinkie Media. Instead, people will have to line the streets again like concentration camp workers to view his gas chamber sorry his body.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prata n old fart are two jap collaborators.More people will come out to reveal their roles in the kempetai after the fall of pap. Retribution to the traitors.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_20160801_NATHAN01_2485200.jpg

At the Singapore General Hospital to visit Mr Nathan yesterday (31 July ) were (above) President Tony Tan and Mrs Tan, and Acting Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean and Mrs Teo. They were among the Singapore leaders who visited the former president after he suffered a stroke.ST PHOTOS: ONG WEE JIN, MARK CHEONG

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST_20160801_NATHAN011DAF_2485737.jpg

At the Singapore General Hospital to visit Mr Nathan yesterday (31 July ) were President Tony Tan and Mrs Tan, and (above) Acting Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean and Mrs Teo. They were among the Singapore leaders who visited the former president after he suffered a stroke.ST PHOTOS: ONG WEE JIN, MARK CHEONG

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Operation Sook Ching was a Japanese military operation aimed at eliminating anti-Japanese elements from the Chinese community in Singapore.

In 1942, Chinese males between the ages of 18 and 50 were summoned to various mass screening centres and those suspected of being anti-Japanese were executed.

The screening was mainly carried out by the Kempeitai (the Japanese military secret police) in the urban areas. Known massacre sites include beaches at Punggol, Changi,
Katong, Tanah Merah and Blakang Mati (now Sentosa island), Hougang, Thomson Road, Changi Road, Siglap, Bedok and East Coast.

About 70,000 to 100,000 Chinese were massacred. My grandfather was executed by Japanese firing squad at the foothill of upper East Coast Road where Bedok South is today.

I believe he was handpicked by his Kempeitei comrade to sit at all those important top posts so that he would keep his mouth shut about their war crimes.

For his war crimes I think just like his fellow comrade Kempeitei agent he would also face a very difficult death.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal

After being paid in Millions in salaries, why must the Son and Daughter be given special privileges by Gahman. This is a Sicko practice wit Sinkiepore, you not only hve to feed the Familee, their Cronies but also all their future Generation. Wud anyone tink tat Grace Fool got there by her own merits or Ho Ching really the only capable person in Sinkiepore to managed Termasick.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
ST_20160801_NATHAN01_2485200.jpg

At the Singapore General Hospital to visit Mr Nathan yesterday (31 July ) were (above) President Tony Tan and Mrs Tan, and Acting Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean and Mrs Teo. They were among the Singapore leaders who visited the former president after he suffered a stroke.ST PHOTOS: ONG WEE JIN, MARK CHEONG

Wow, when did they start hiring Israelis as Security Officers/bodyguards for the MIW?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Operation Sook Ching was a Japanese military operation aimed at eliminating anti-Japanese elements from the Chinese community in Singapore.

In 1942, Chinese males between the ages of 18 and 50 were summoned to various mass screening centres and those suspected of being anti-Japanese were executed.

The screening was mainly carried out by the Kempeitai (the Japanese military secret police) in the urban areas. Known massacre sites include beaches at Punggol, Changi,
Katong, Tanah Merah and Blakang Mati (now Sentosa island), Hougang, Thomson Road, Changi Road, Siglap, Bedok and East Coast.

About 70,000 to 100,000 Chinese were massacred. My grandfather was executed by Japanese firing squad at the foothill of upper East Coast Road where Bedok South is today.

I believe he was handpicked by his Kempeitei comrade to sit at all those important top posts so that he would keep his mouth shut about their war crimes.

For his war crimes I think just like his fellow comrade Kempeitei agent he would also face a very difficult death.

My granduncle was also executed by the Japanese during the Sook Ching killings. One day, the Japanese came to the neighbourhood where they were staying and arrested all the young chinese men. My granduncle was one of them. The last person to see him was my other relatives at the kampetai HQ. After that, he was never seen again. The whole group that got arrested with him were never seen again. I think they were machine gunned at tanah merah beach. The neighbourhgood in those days were very close knit. Brothers, cousins, uncles, etc. all lived in the same neighbourhood. SO, that day, many families lost multiple male members. This kind of fucking assholes like Kuan Yew and Nathan can work for these animals. As far as I am concerned, two atomic bombs were not enough for Japan. 20 would even the score up a little.