• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Tuition Teachers who earn more then $1 million per year making MOE look like fools

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Super tutors who earn at least $1m a year

Persistent parents call him daily to ask for a place for their child in his A-level economics tuition class. Some try to reserve a spot three years ahead. A few well-heeled ones even offer two years' fees of $8,000 up front.

Meet economics tutor Anthony Fok, one of a small but growing group of "super tutors" with earnings of at least $1 million a year in fees.

There are at least 10 such private tutors, according to educators in the growing tuition industry. Private tutors like Mr Fok have to register their centres for GST when their annual revenue crosses the $1 million mark.

They are part of a tuition industry worth more than a billion dollars annually, nearly double the $650 million households here spent on tuition in 2004.

"Students look for me because they want their A grade... even those who are already doing well in school," said 32-year-old Mr Fok, who has about 200 students and 40 names on his waiting list. Some even come from Johor Baru.

According to him, two-thirds of his students have gone on to ace the A-level paper.

His fees range from $380 to $420 for four 1 ½ hour lessons a month. He takes home about $500,000 a year after deducting the rent of his two centres in Bukit Timah and Tampines and other expenses.

Already, the popular timeslots for his classes are fully booked. Each class comprises 30 to 40 students. However, Mr Fok does not intend to open more classes as "there is no way I can cope as a one-man show".

Mr Fok, who used to teach at a secondary school for about four years, said his achievement is the result of dedication and hard work.

For instance, he gives his mobile number to his students so they can message him whenever they need help. He also assists his students in "spotting" topics likely to appear in exams by analysing past papers, and provides them with concise notes, complete with key pointers.

"The tuition industry is growing rapidly with many tutors entering the industry, lured by the attractive income," he said. "Top tutors put in a lot of hard work to help students. It's not an easy industry to be in, fuelled by demanding parents and many competitive tutors."

Despite noting that good academic grades do not define success, Mr Fok said: "Tuition isn't a bad thing. I believe that parents' concerns with grades stem from the desire to give their children the best help they possibly can."

Second-year Anglo Chinese Junior College student Janine Ang has attended Mr Fok's classes since last year. She pays $420 per four lessons. From borderline passes, the tutoring has helped Janine, 18 - who will sit her A levels this year - to improve to As in her economics tests and exams.

"It's worth the fees in exchange for the results," she said.

Physics tutor Phang Yu Hon, a 49-year-old who collected $1.1 million in fees last year, said parents are willing to fork out for tutors known to deliver results. He has been hitting the million-dollar mark since 2011.

His fees for his O- and A-level classes range from $400 to as much as $700 for four two-hour lessons. Each of his classes averages about 25 students.

His students - he handles 200 a year - are mostly from the upper- middle income group, and include sons and daughters of business owners, medical professionals, senior civil servants and academics.

"Their parents are less concerned about cost and more focused on the tutor's track record," said the former research engineer, who has a first-class honours degree in electrical engineering.

Some of his students told The Straits Times that their results have seen marked improvement.

Former CHIJ St Nicholas Girls' School student Ivana Ding, for instance, had been consistently doing poorly in physics before attending Mr Phang's classes in March last year.

At the O levels last year, the 17-year-old, now a first-year biomedical sciences student at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, scored A2 for the subject with his help.

"Mr Phang makes the difficult concepts easier to digest through analogies as well as dances and songs he choreographed and composed. These all made physics not only fun but also easier to study," she said.

But not every tutor makes it into the top league. Mr Phang believes such tutors possess a charisma that others do not.

In recent years, a crop of new tutors are slowly making a name for themselves in the business.

Former teacher Wynn Khoo, who taught physics and principles of accounts for the past five years, made the switch to full-time tutoring this January. Already, the 31-year-old, who charges $280 to $320 per four lessons, has around 100 students.

Top tutors also insist that top marks is not a guarantee, as students have to put in hard work too.

Maths tutor Gary Ang, 37, who draws a five-figure monthly salary, said: "Parents sometimes think tutors are magicians who can turn a failing student into an A student overnight. If the student is willing to work hard, then yes, there will be results."

Another maths tutor, Ms Celine Loi, who is director of Joss Sticks Tuition Centre, said that students needed to take ownership of their studies, attend classes on time and work with the tutors.

The 40-year-old's centre, which employs 20 tutors, runs about 55 classes a week, for about 400 students.

But education experts such as National University of Singapore lecturer Kelvin Seah believes that sending students to star tutors may be counterproductive.

Dr Seah said engaging the services of such star tutors may not guarantee better academic grades.

"When students are forced into tuition lessons, they could grow to dislike the subject instead of taking a greater interest in it," he added.

crossroads

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Tuition Teachers who earn more then $1 million per year making MOE look like fool

Students who go for tuition from Preschool up to A levels may do well during those years, but in Uni , without tuition they get average grades.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Tuition Teachers who earn more then $1 million per year making MOE look like fool

Thats no true. If you do not do well up to A levels, you won't be going to the Uni in the first place. The foundation that you receive with additional help via tuition gives you the edge when you get into Uni.

Tuition after all is an extension of your school. Tuitions does not mean they give you the answers and you do not have to think.

Most countries tuition is for those who struggle. In Singapore it has become rat race to get into the suite of scholarships. A extra point here and there counts. The sad part is that the rich can afford the best tuition and the rest will have to struggle. The Govt has never shoed the figures but if you have done PSC work or have had sight of their work, you will know that more than 85% of scholarship holders come from well to do families. Yong Pung How's daughter who is now a perm sec underwent heavy tuition from a well known gentleman with a PHD.

In fact one of the members who was previously here is a full time tutor and he has a PHD. in the 1980s, good tutors were pulling in $20k a month.

Students who go for tuition from Preschool up to A levels may do well during those years, but in Uni , without tuition they get average grades.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

In fact one of the members who was previously here is a full time tutor and he has a PHD. in the 1980s, good tutors were pulling in $20k a month.

I was giving tuition in my uni days to sons of Pappy bigwigs. It was excellent money and helped me buy my Mini Cooper S with twin webber carbs.

I did 100mph along Orchard Road. The 2002tii's were fast but they couldn't beat the 0-60mph figure of my car.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I do recall the illegal race circuit Orchard Rd / Penang Lane was the closest thing to dissent in Singapore. And to be funded indirectly by the PAP is indeed sweet. I wonder if anyone had photos of those crazy Saturday. A photo of Skillet would be a good start.

I was giving tuition in my uni days to sons of Pappy bigwigs. It was excellent money and helped me buy my Mini Cooper S with twin webber carbs.

I did 100mph along Orchard Road. The 2002tii's were fast but they couldn't beat the 0-60mph figure of my car.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I do recall the illegal race circuit Orchard Rd / Penang Lane was the closest thing to dissent in Singapore. And to be funded indirectly by the PAP is indeed sweet. I wonder if anyone had photos of those crazy Saturday. A photo of Skillet would be a good start.

This was the notorious sweeping corner that would make or break your run.

img0078.jpg

The other end of the race track

tanglin-circus-fountain-1960s.jpg

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks. I am not sure if you are aware of that the guys in blue on their bikes who chased you guys had their own races in the own circuit. It was at South Buona Vista road.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

I had the pleasure of riding and driving a friend's Copper S. 1275cc of pure fun. It had a roll cage and hard bucket seats. It took corners like it was on rails.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal

I see nothing wrong with making more money. Those who can teach. :cool:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

So that means all the teachers in the schools are fuck useless. If these tutors can get these results, they should be Ministers of Education and introduce their methods to all the schools.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Imagine MOE needs to have 2 Ministers and still the school system would be turning out fucked students without the $650 million tuition industry. U think Ng Chee Meng ex scholar general is a better Minister of Education then any one of these top tutors? Or you think the other Education Minister Ong Ye Cunt, Gay Loong's former kopi boy, is better?

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Imagine MOE needs to have 2 Ministers and still the school system would be turning out fucked students without the $650 million tuition industry. U think Ng Chee Meng ex scholar general is a better Minister of Education then any one of these top tutors? Or you think the other Education Minister Ong Ye Cunt, Gay Loong's former kopi boy, is better?

Super Economics Tutor Anthony Fok Earned More Than Our Perm Secs

and Mr Fok is only 32 :p:p:p

IMG_8370.jpg

NP_20150726_JUTUTORSA-EIZ_945994.jpg

ST_20150224_BDFMPIT24_1088990e_2x.jpg

anthonypic1.jpg

ourtutor.jpg

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

im wondering who are the ultimate fools here,MOE and the sinkies paying 1 million bucks to this guy so they can get a bunch of As.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Have grades, can travel! No?

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

MOE teachers are not stewpog either. Giving tuition is going to be their retirement job, and good earnings as is.

If they teach all their MOE students to be A-grade, is going to be a double-whammy for them. One, those MOE scholars will make the syllabus even. Ore tougher, hence more difficult to teach. Two, no student will need tuition hence kill off their retirement business.

Hence it is in the teachers' benefit to teach minimum and let the tuition industry flourish! Ex-teachers command a premium in the tuition circuit. And now, tuition is to get As, not to pass, a subject. Therefore, it is a much-sought after industry.

One just need to enquire from some tuition centers in United Square and Thomson Plaza. If you did not do well in their assessment tests, you do not get a seat in these centers!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Altogether now!!! HUAT AH!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is something they have not been able to solve since Goh's "systems engineers" attempt to raise the standard. The only material thing that came from that exercise was he was found a new girlfriend and wife.

The government aided mission schools are fine including RI and RGS, the rest are in the doldrums. The students from the neighbourhood schools can't write a decent sentence without tripping over tenses etc. They can't hold a conversation let alone with confidence. They struggle to do a presentation. Compared this to students who attended the English stream up to the 70/80s. The savings grace are the polytechnic that have resurrected their interest and delivered good cohorts over the years.

What Singapore sees are the students from RI/RGS and the govt aided mission schools and not the neglected neighbourhood schools and think we are a success in education. The biggest effort that went into the neighbourhood schools is to rename it to ensure that the speak Mandarin campaign is thriving, the land which is of significant value is taken over and relocated to a cheaper area and the teachers are kept happy for the each elections as they form the largest sector amongst the public sector workers. It has also has become for political reason the holding place for newly retired police and SAF staff that cannot find a job but their votes are important.

But for political reasons they are also the highest paid teachers in the world and 90% have no idea why. Their pay is way above any country in the first World including the UK, US, OZ etc

I am sure some of the teachers in these neighbourhood schools are good but look at the output in terms of quality. In the end, these good teachers also lose heart.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Super Economics Tutor Anthony Fok Earned More Than Our Perm Secs

and Mr Fok is only 32 :p:p:p

http://anthonyfok.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/IMG

[IMG]http://www.tnp.sg/sites/default/files/styles/big_image_gallery__770x370_/public/articles/20150726/NP_20150726_JUTUTORSA-EIZ_945994.jpg?itok=0gbj8n

[IMG]http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_pictrure_780x520_/public/articles/2015/02/24/ST_20150224_BDFMPIT24_1088990e_2x.jpg?itok=XUaAF

[IMG]http://singaporerecords.com/wp-content/gallery/highest-earning-economics-tutor/anthonypic1.m

[IMG]http://sgeconstutor.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/ourtutor[/QUOTE]

Nabei now those jiakliaobees perm secs would want a pay increase else they lose dignity....
Though I dun agree with tuition and passing exams to get A grades.....
I salute this fok chap who found a niche and made millions thru his own effort.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It's true those super tutors are that good. I sent my kids for tuition and their results have shown tremendous improvement. The tuition fees would be worth it once my kids win the president scholarships.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It is something they have not been able to solve since Goh's "systems engineers" attempt to raise the standard. The only material thing that came from that exercise was he was found a new girlfriend and wife.

The government aided mission schools are fine including RI and RGS, the rest are in the doldrums. The students from the neighbourhood schools can't write a decent sentence without tripping over tenses etc. They can't hold a conversation let alone with confidence. They struggle to do a presentation. Compared this to students who attended the English stream up to the 70/80s. The savings grace are the polytechnic that have resurrected their interest and delivered good cohorts over the years.

What Singapore sees are the students from RI/RGS and the govt aided mission schools and not the neglected neighbourhood schools and think we are a success in education. The biggest effort that went into the neighbourhood schools is to rename it to ensure that the speak Mandarin campaign is thriving, the land which is of significant value is taken over and relocated to a cheaper area and the teachers are kept happy for the each elections as they form the largest sector amongst the public sector workers. It has also has become for political reason the holding place for newly retired police and SAF staff that cannot find a job but their votes are important.

But for political reasons they are also the highest paid teachers in the world and 90% have no idea why. Their pay is way above any country in the first World including the UK, US, OZ etc

I am sure some of the teachers in these neighbourhood schools are good but look at the output in terms of quality. In the end, these good teachers also lose heart.

My guess is the kids who can study will naturally do well in school.they dont really require much input from the school or their teachers.which brings the question is so much segregation in school a good thing.studies have shown that students tend to perform better in general as a whole when theres a good mix of students.