• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

37% Swing against all Odds vs 24% needed in Bukit Batok

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 1981, 10 months after another record 100% thumping of the opposition in the 1980 General Elections, an Indian man with his comparatively rag-tag team of party members and supporters made history and the country proud. In Dec 1980, PAP secured Anson with 84.1% of the votes. In 1981, a By-elections was called. It was going to be a mammoth challenge for anyone to pry the seat from the PAP.

On nomination day, JBJ, Chiam and Habans Singh turned up. Chiam after a brief discussion with JBJ decided to stand aside and have the senior opposition fighter take the opposition cause to the voters. Voters remembered his act of grace and the display opposition unity. They repaid him handsomely at the next context where in 1984, he not just won but with a 60% of the votes and beat a President Scholar and a Cabinet designate.

JBJ first stood for elections in 1972. He contested 3 general elections and 2 by-elections unsuccessfully. His last three contest was in the same locale - Radin Mas and Telok Blangah, both of which are next to Anson. Since 1977 he had become a familiar in that locale.

The PAP could not touch him on character and therefore had to handle him on issues of the day. So what changed dramatically in 10 months to cause a massive swing of 37%. And more importantly it was period of fear, political detainees were still locked up in Changi, and Opposition did not have the internet or the reach that they have today. Yes, the era of knuckleduster and arbitrary detention was order of the day. And lets not forget that Singapore did not have a single opposition figure in Parliament since 1966 when Barisan walked in and led to a PAP monopoly of 15 years. Inertia was therefore a factor that could not be ignored.

For the opposition to take Bukit Batok, it requires a swing of 24% or just another 6,300 voter over and above the 6,585 votes that SDP's Sadasivam garnered in 2015. One can safely assume that the previous votes came from hardcore opposition voters as I am sure Mr Sadasivam himself would acknowledge he is not well known neither is he well credentialed as other Opposition candidates or Chee. Can Chee convince another 6,300 voters to make the move. Did he get his strategy right. Was the historical baggage and the failure to acknowledge the past an obstacle.

Statistically anything over 10% is a challenge. Lee LiLian did it as recently as 3 years ago in 2013 at the Punggol By elections with a swing of 13.49% and she was a relative nobody, did not come from the an established profession and was too young to have established a career. She however contested for the first time 2 years ago, in the same constituency garnering a respectable 41% of the votes.

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes yes the glory days are over,its time to stop dreaming.now is the time to review the nightmare that is 2015 g.e.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans know they will always be fucked by politicians. They are also pragmatic enough to know so far the white fuckers have never fucked them without using rebate lubricants. So it is a case of being a familiar experience in getting fucked. Especially so when they have seen how a group of worker politicians fucked up so bad and leaving things so messy. It's all a matter of reality. It's better to fucked by politicians we know than politicians we don't.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, it will be tough, but not impossible to swing by more than 24% to win for Dr Chee and SDP.

Certainly, the SDP had put in a lot of planning, sweat and toil over the campaign period. Dr Chee , himself, had worked tirelessly every day during the campaign, rising up early to meet up with residents, going block to block visits, talking to residents at Kopitiams, parks and homes. This is definitely much more than Sidasivam could have done in the GE2015 elections.

Many residents have the opportunity to meet up with him, talk to him and get to know him. In fact, with the focus on character in this election campaign, many of the SDP members and also non-members have come up to speak and vouch for Dr Chee's character. He is no doubt a good man and nothing of the sort that the PAP has painted him to be.

And most , if not all the residents can see that Dr Chee is sincere and wanting to help with their problems.

Well, I don't know for sure whether at the end of the day, Dr Chee will win or not. Voting is secret. So, we can only make an educated guess. But I can be certain that the margin will improve from the GE2015.

Last edited:

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was going to say the same thing, but a check on Google and Wiki reveals that MBT was both a President and Colombo Plan Scholar.

president noodle from taiwan is also a giver of scholarship.

i got mine from london... choco roll.

ckmpd

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 1981, 10 months after another record 100% thumping of the opposition in the 1980 General Elections, an Indian man with his comparatively rag-tag team of party members and supporters made history and the country proud. In Dec 1980, PAP secured Anson with 84.1% of the votes. In 1981, a By-elections was called. It was going to be a mammoth challenge for anyone to pry the seat from the PAP.

On nomination day, JBJ, Chiam and Habans Singh turned up. Chiam after a brief discussion with JBJ decided to stand aside and have the senior opposition fighter take the opposition cause to the voters. Voters remembered his act of grace and the display opposition unity. They repaid him handsomely at the next context where in 1984, he not just won but with a 60% of the votes and beat a President Scholar and a Cabinet designate.

JBJ first stood for elections in 1972. He contested 3 general elections and 2 by-elections unsuccessfully. His last three contest was in the same locale - Radin Mas and Telok Blangah, both of which are next to Anson. Since 1977 he had become a familiar in that locale.

The PAP could not touch him on character and therefore had to handle him on issues of the day. So what changed dramatically in 10 months to cause a massive swing of 37%. And more importantly it was period of fear, political detainees were still locked up in Changi, and Opposition did not have the internet or the reach that they have today. Yes, the era of knuckleduster and arbitrary detention was order of the day. And lets not forget that Singapore did not have a single opposition figure in Parliament since 1966 when Barisan walked in and led to a PAP monopoly of 15 years. Inertia was therefore a factor that could not be ignored.

For the opposition to take Bukit Batok, it requires a swing of 24% or just another 6,300 voter over and above the 6,585 votes that SDP's Sadasivam garnered in 2015. One can safely assume that the previous votes came from hardcore opposition voters as I am sure Mr Sadasivam himself would acknowledge he is not well known neither is he well credentialed as other Opposition candidates or Chee. Can Chee convince another 6,300 voters to make the move. Did he get his strategy right. Was the historical baggage and the failure to acknowledge the past an obstacle.

Statistically anything over 10% is a challenge. Lee LiLian did it as recently as 3 years ago in 2013 at the Punggol By elections with a swing of 13.49% and she was a relative nobody, did not come from the an established profession and was too young to have established a career. She however contested for the first time 2 years ago, in the same constituency garnering a respectable 41% of the votes.

i am cautiously optimistic that a miracle happens tmrw and CSJ wins the BE

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
26% for the last GE is the opposition core which is the same as national average. I expect a more than 10% swing since 26% is really a very low threshold to benchmark. If i look at sdp campaign, it quite difficult for the heartlander to relate to csj unlike LLL during PEBE.

Hence csj should be able to retain the 26% opposition core. There should be a back flow of moderate opposition voters who had previously voted pap. Also those middleground outlier voters are the low hanging fruits for csj that he should be able to reach.

I guess his score will be in the region of 41%. A 15% swing.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would regard anything above 40% as a slap and a sharp rebuke of the PAP and the Government. The swing is significant. I won't buy the arguments about race or David Ong's indiscretion as these would have been compensated by the negatives associated with Chee and the SDP.

26% for the last GE is the opposition core which is the same as national average. I expect a more than 10% swing since 26% is really a very low threshold to benchmark. If i look at sdp campaign, it quite difficult for the heartlander to relate to csj unlike LLL during PEBE.

Hence csj should be able to retain the 26% opposition core. There should be a back flow of moderate opposition voters who had previously voted pap. Also those middleground outlier voters are the low hanging fruits for csj that he should be able to reach.

Last edited:

shiokalingam

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any one know where is SDP Saturday Assembly area
for 7 May Sat ?

getting loads of Hagen Daz ice creams for Dr Chee Soon Juan

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would regard anything above 40% as a slap and a sharp rebuke of the PAP and the Government. The swing is significant. I won't buy the arguments about race or David Ong's indiscretion as these would have been compensated by the negatives associated with Chee and the SDP.

I am sure if it is a win for the PAP regardless whether the margin is only 1% or less, the PAP will laud it as a major victory. You can almost feel the whole Parliament heave a sigh of relief.

And I won't be surprised that PM Lee swiping his sweat, will say in his victory speech, 'Let's put all politicking aside, the BB residents has spoken and let's move on. We will make true to the promises we made to BB residents in the election and serve them wholeheartedly'

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

There will be a by-election effect. Also a slight bit of negative fallout against PAP simply because of David Ong. So Chee should easily surpass the 30% mark. I do not really agree that the heartlanders don't resonate with SDP's message. They have been pounding the ground for a month leading up to Thursday night and as we can see from the rally, people were riled up by the bread and butter issues presented.

However, as winnipegjets has said, negative campaigning works, and the PAP went for the low blow and opened up the old wounds. Elections scores are also not decided on rally speeches and how fiery they were or how excited rally attendees were. If Paul T. or WP had been offered as candidates, I would say closer to 40%. But with CSJ, closer to 32%. Hence my forecast of Murali 68.5% as stated in the BB Gold Cup thread.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP had a history of doing well in Bukit Batok SMC and was close to winning it, that's why PAP dirtily put Bukit Batok into a GRC after GE1991, and hide Bukit Batok in a GRC for 24 years.

BTW, PAP suffered a huge -22.4% vote swing in Bukit Batok in GE1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukit_Batok_Single_Member_Constituency

General Election 1991: Bukit Batok

PAP Ong Chit Chung 12,205 51.8% -4.1%

SDP Kwan Yue Keng 11,347 48.2% +4.1%

PAP vote Swing -4.1%

General Election 1988: Bukit Batok

PAP Ong Chit Chung 12,873 55.9% -22.4%

SDP Kwan Yue Keng 10,139 44.1% N/A

PAP vote Swing -22.4%

The SDP candidate for Bukit Batok in 1988 and 1991 - Kwan Yue Keng

img0011.jpg

BukitBatokNominationC05_AsiaOne.jpg