• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP 3rd Rally Yesterday - an assessment

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
On Chee's speech:

I thought it was one of his better speeches. There were a lot of questions and issues that PAP needs to address and answer not just to voters of Bukit Batok but to all Singaporeans . Here are the points that I thought made up his speech

- he stopped talking about his character, his job and his income source which has been contentious. Its also the area that PAP prefers to take him on. Though at the tail end of hisspeech he indulged in some wishy washing moral high ground rhetoric which was not necessary.
- he also stopped talking about promising and delivery things and making changes which he and SDP could never do due the lack of resources and the limited remit of an elected opposition MP. This is something that SDP previously did aggressive at the 2 rallies and were taken to task.
- he raised real good genuine burning issues especially sensitive and important ones - CPF, lack of transparency form the 2 sovereign funds, cost of housing as part of the CPF issue, our savings and inability to handle a major medical crisis. This took up a major part of his speech and was truly biting.

The only issue I had in terms of tactics was that it was better to leave the voters sufficiently riled up and concerned with the burning issues rather than end it with the moral high ground rhetoric which is always abstract. Voters must feel that they have been shortchanged by this Government who will never address the real issues.

The Good Speaker:

Damanhuri Abas, Jaclyn Go and Paul Thambyah did well. Damahuri probably is the most politically astute within the SDP team and he also reads the ground well. He knew how to deliver the points. Jaclyn changed tact from the previous speech and covered good points close to voters heart. She must have listened to people who knew what to deliver as the change was significant. Paul Thambyah did a good job in correcting the character issue and did finally confirm that character was important. Thats door is now closed for the PAP. Overall he landed the whole issue of character and conduct well. His parable was spot on and shows the PAP and the media for what they are. Interesting end of speech on Indians/minority in politics and on Murali. I did like the point where a Chinese did not require a certificate to prove that they were indeed Chinese.

The not so good speakers:

Sadasivam did well in the previous 2 rallies but seemed to have run out of ideas and content. He began to indulge in self-importance, reminiscent of Indian opposition candidates of the past. He seemed to think that being a PAP Member was important. His story about writing to Old man and CC to Tan Cheng Bock was really poor and frankly laughable. He also dropped a clanger. He challenged Murali to ask in Parliament the pay of Ministers. Both the Ministers grade and salary range have been released the public before. Clearly speeches are not vetted or whoever vetted it has no clue.

John Tan:

Firstly his fake ang mo accent got worse in this rally. And he could not pronounce "Bukit Batok" in local terms whether English, Singlish, Mandarin, Malay etc. He kept saying "Bukit Bear-toc" like an new Ang Mo arrival. Comical and unnecessary. The grammar, tenses etc were also bad. He certainly gave the psychology profession a bad name by these and compounding it by repeating that he was a psychologist. Not to mention the reputation of Murdoch University. He also has no sense of politics. His speech was more on social justice and his examples were poor. He actually stated that academically inclined good students would become "teacher's pet" under the education system leaving the less academically inclined aside. It best that he be given backroom responsibilities and not put in front of the mike.

Last edited:

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I generally find SDP rally speeches quite boring.

WP rallies are more interesting. The WP old guards are so much better in connecting with the ground especially the heartland.

One thing is the massive use of dialects to connect. WP is just good and the difference lies in that their leader is Chinese educated.

SDP is for the young and restless. Their leaders are cut out of the "kantan" cloth. To this day, you still hear the same rhetoric again and again. Character and democracy - all are abstract stuff that make no sense to the heartlander.

Look at this classic crafty WP oldtimer, Lim Ee Ping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYc0gOQxkE

If you talk like that which is similar to Lim Chin Siong's powerful oratory, you can be sure you will get more to sway to you.

If SDP is to do better, appeal to the heartland in your language. BB is a heartland of the heartlands. Cut the abstract ideas out of your campaigning. Only the SBF folks will clap but they are the minority of the minorities in Singapore. You can safely take the opposite of what they say as a reflection of the public's sentiment.

Now is where is Marjojohn, the beloved and highly accurate SBF pollster? Still standing at the BB MRT gathering samples? Need to hear your poll results.:rolleyes:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If SDP is to do better, appeal to the heartland in your language. BB is a heartland of the heartlands. Cut the abstract ideas out of your campaigning. Only the SBF folks will clap but they are the minority of the minorities in Singapore. You can safely take the opposite of what they say as a reflection of the public's sentiment.

Now is where is Marjojohn, the beloved and highly accurate SBF pollster? Still standing at the BB MRT gathering samples? Need to hear your poll results.:rolleyes:

WP speeches seem more exciting for two reasons: The crowd is bigger (the SDP crowd is big already, but WP's is huge). Secondly, WP veterans are more seasoned politicians who can read the ground very well and articulate in the language of the heartlanders. This is not to disparage SDP's efforts in any way. They have excellent speakers too. But SDP needs time. CSJ only decided to bring SDP back into mainstream politics in 2009 and they will need a few extra years to groom a seasoned core of true political veterans who are not in any way carrying past baggage from the old era with Chiam or with WP.

As for Marjojohn, I told him no uncertain terms he was a PAP lapdog. Shall I page for him?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam did gain a seat and retained it many times despite not having a similar setup nor the oratory skills. He however had certain factors going in his favour. I do however agree that WP is streets ahead. Chee's primary challenge is strategy and tactics which translates into how people perceive him and his party as capable politicians. In addition the historical baggage and to avoid the temptation of talking about character. If not the fox and hen will keep coming up

I generally find SDP rally speeches quite boring.

WP rallies are more interesting. The WP old guards are so much better in connecting with the ground especially the heartland.

One thing is the massive use of dialects to connect. WP is just good and the difference lies in that their leader is Chinese educated.

SDP is for the young and restless. Their leaders are cut out of the "kantan" cloth. To this day, you still hear the same rhetoric again and again. Character and democracy - all are abstract stuff that make no sense to the heartlander.

Look at this classic crafty WP oldtimer, Lim Ee Ping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYc0gOQxkE

If you talk like that which is similar to Lim Chin Siong's powerful oratory, you can be sure you will get more to sway to you.

Last edited:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam did gain a seat and retained it many times despite not having a similar setup nor the oratory skills. He however had certain factors going in his favour. I do however agree the WP is streets ahead. Chee's primary challenge is strategy and tactics which translates into how people perceive him and his party as capable politicians. In addition the historical baggage and to avoid the temptation of talking about character. If not the fox and hen will keep coming up

If you can recall that porlumpar moment in Parliament during the debate of ministers' salaries when Chiam offered the accolade in LKY's presence that he, LKY, deserves a million dollars a month for his leadership contribution. That's how he survived all those years. I lost my respect for Chiam after his unnecessary sending off in a wheelchair during the old fuck's funeral. It showed what Opposition really is in reality in Singapore. WP photo taking with old fuck etc etc............

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pls remember that this is your personal assessment and not the overall official assessment of the masses..

Do u need to get your clones to agree with you again?

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you can recall that porlumpar moment in Parliament during the debate of ministers' salaries when Chiam offered the accolade in LKY's presence that he, LKY, deserves a million dollars a month for his leadership contribution. That's how he survived all those years. I lost my respect for Chiam after his unnecessary sending off in a wheelchair during the old fuck's funeral. It showed what Opposition really is in reality in Singapore. WP photo taking with old fuck etc etc............

That's politics for you. If that's what it takes to survive and fight another day, then so be it. And not only in Singapore. You saw Donald Trump praising Jeb Bush after the latter withdrew and soon he will also praise Ted Cruz. He cannot isolate himself from the rest of the party if he wants to get the Presidency. British politicians of all shades also get together for strong ale after slinging m&d at each other in Parliament.

The only difference I can see is that in Singapore, people tend to go beyond good natured camaraderie and bi-partisanship and cross the line into fawning. Maybe Chiam's accolade can be classified as fawning. WP's does not.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low and Chiam know where to draw the line. You cannot remain silent and antagonistic all the time. They are merely following rules of civility. JBJ went a little overboard and he was practically ignored in Parliament's MP's lounge during breaks. Members of the public also expect their conduct to follow similar rules. Chiam was famous for lecturing the Ministers and even Jayakumar had to face him.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Low and Chiam know where to draw the line. You cannot remain silent and antagonistic all the time. They are merely following rules of civility. JBJ went a little overboard and he was practically ignored in Parliament's MP's lounge during breaks. Members of the public also expect their conduct to follow similar rules. Chiam was famous for lecturing the Ministers and even Jayakumar had to face him.

I can see how Chiam overdid the political correctness part. WP and Low do not. They know how to draw the line quite precisely.

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
John Tan:

Firstly his fake ang mo accent got worse in this rally. And he could not pronounce "Bukit Batok" in local terms whether English, Singlish, Mandarin, Malay etc. He kept saying "Bukit Bear-toc" like an new Ang Mo arrival. Comical and unnecessary. The grammar, tenses etc were also bad. He certainly gave the psychology profession a bad name by these and compounding it by repeating that he was a psychologist. Not to mention the reputation of Murdoch University. He also has no sense of politics. His speech was more on social justice and his examples were poor. He actually stated that academically inclined good students would become "teacher's pet" under the education system leaving the less academically inclined aside. It best that he be given backroom responsibilities and not put in front of the mike.

When I heard John Tan say, "Blessed are those who give", I was going like "Man, STFU".

SarahPeiLing

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That John Tan practically committed SDP to the Pathfinder and the Helping Hearts projects regardless of whether SDP is elected.

So next general election, if SDP was found not have followed through on these, the PAP can turn the tables on them in the same way they turned the tables on Murali's upgrading projects and his statement that they can only be done if he is elected.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to know how a decrepit bankrupt like chee manages to feed his family for twenty years when his entire family should be in front of Buddhist temples begging for alms.he needs to declare his assets soon.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Politics is bullshit,I only admire people like chuck feeney who gave billions to help his fellow men and gave until he was broke while he is still alive.people like him are worth a million lkys or csjs.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I want to know how a decrepit bankrupt like chee manages to feed his family for twenty years when his entire family should be in front of Buddhist temples begging for alms.he needs to declare his assets soon.

It is the 82 PAP MPs in Parliament and the entire PAP ministerial cabinet who needs to declare their assets. It is the GIC and Temasek that needs to come clean on how our CPF funds are used for cheap financing. It is the Accountant General's Office who needs to get away from the mentality that it would take 52 man years to list down the assets of the Government of Singapore, and to enforce a wider sense of accountability and transparency through all ranks of the civil service and the public sector. It is the Prime Minister and his wife who need to put to rest the years of secrecy surrounding the management of our sovereign wealth funds and our nation's reserves.

Get you priorities right.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP 3 days rallies were touching and robust. However, I don't like them to sing praise of Murali in order to appear gentlement. Even if you want to fight fair and clean, never ever sell your opponent positively before criticising him. This part, I hope SDP take heed in all future elections.