• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Full-Time MPs are a short-sighted option for the Opposition

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
The way I see, sdp attempts to outbid pap in every department is counterproductive

The general direction for sdp campaign should be geared towards assuring residents their lives in the estate will carry on as normal and estate clean so that they can elect someone to to speak for them on national issues without having to worry if they will bear the political cost on behalf of the whole nation. (Not-in-my-backyard syndrome)

With this general direction clear, Csj do not need to outbid pap on the goodies like setting up trust funds funded by mp allowance(anyone will be pound foolish to take this carrot) or full time mp which is not what voters will consider important. Things within his ability like setting up free health clinic or legal clinic, fine as long his party can find the volunteers to do it.

as far as local issues are concern, the main attacking point here is to whack pap on their 1.9m and 24m upgrading carrots so as to shift the focal point away from other goodies which pap have a clear advantage to one area which they get no absolute advantage. I don't consider the issue of full time mp as important and I doubt if voters will treat this as carrot.

But still the campaign should not deviate from sdp strength when it comes to national issues. This is one area pap will not touch or reply to sdp. Overall the weightage of national issues to local issues should be in the region of 70-30. .

Last edited:

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The way I see, sdp attempts to outbid pap in every department is counterproductive

The general direction for sdp campaign should be geared towards assuring residents their lives in the estate will carry on as normal and estate clean so that they can elect someone to to speak for them on national issues without having to worry if they will bear the political cost on behalf of the whole nation. (Not-in-my-backyard syndrome)

With this general direction clear, Csj do not need to outbid pap on the goodies like setting up trust funds funded by mp allowance(anyone will be pound foolish to take this carrot) or full time mp which is not what voters will consider important. Things within his ability like setting up free health clinic or legal clinic, fine as long his party can find the volunteers to do it.

as far as local issues are concern, the main attacking point here is to whack pap on their 1.9m and 24m upgrading carrots so as to shift the focal point away from other goodies which pap have a clear advantage to one area which they get no absolute advantage. I don't consider the issue of full time mp as important and I doubt if voters will treat this as carrot.

But still the campaign should not deviate from sdp strength when it comes to national issues. This is one area pap will not touch or reply to sdp. Overall the weightage of national issues to local issues should be in the region of 70-30. .

The problem is there are few outstanding national issues of concern so the topic will run dry quickly. Let's say we put train breakdowns and cost of living as the main concerns. How much can you talk about them night after night? Two speakers can easily cover these two topics in detail in one evening, leaving the rest having to talk about local issues.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are excellent points. It does remind of SDP/Chiam/Jufrie/Maurice 1991 BEEs strategy - the govt will remain, they will continue to function but we will address issues residents and national concerns. WP also followed the same tack with keeping the govt accountable and no intention of forming govt in the shop term.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually if listen to Chee's speech on education, scholarship foreigners, CPF etc it was devastating. There were also more shouts from the crowd when these were mentioned. There are other issues as well - medical cost, jobs, Govt accountability and transparency etc.

We have been misled by the press that there are few issues only.

Amos (of all persons) mentioned that SDP policies are not worth mentioning as they can never be implemented by a single SDP MP. So instead of talking about these policies, they should attack the govt policies. Paul Thambyah should focus on the medical challenges faced by patients instead of talking about SDP medical policy alternative that will never see daylight.

The problem is there are few outstanding national issues of concern so the topic will run dry quickly. Let's say we put train breakdowns and cost of living as the main concerns. How much can you talk about them night after night? Two speakers can easily cover these two topics in detail in one evening, leaving the rest having to talk about local issues.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Keep repeating the same point over and over again and it will sink in. When they vote, those points will make them vote for Chee. Negative campaigning works ...that's why Trump is leading.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where can I find such jobs?

Get more than average full time pay and work only part time?

Si beh Wu hua man!

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Actually if listen to Chee's speech on education, scholarship foreigners, CPF etc it was devastating. There were also more shouts from the crowd when these were mentioned. There are other issues as well - medical cost, jobs, Govt accountability and transparency etc.

We have been misled by the press that there are few issues only.

Yes the deception by the press is quite true. I keep forgetting that I have to think about what the audience cheers for, not what SDP's supporters cheer for.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Keep repeating the same point over and over again and it will sink in. When they vote, those points will make them vote for Chee. Negative campaigning works ...that's why Trump is leading.

Dr Chee has trolled PAP twice already, first over Datuk Ong and then over LWL. It is very disingenuous but that's how trolling works.

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....scroobal at it again....
claimed that there are 5 full time papee MP.....
but don't know who are they???

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A mp's job is not to run a town council or to babysit the voters or ask ho boh ho boh or shake our hands at the kopitiam or be a social worker,a mp's job is suppose to represent our views in parliament,fight for our rights and policies in parliament and raise our concerns and vote in a democratic process on important national policies.....not give a single party the de facto rights to pass any law or bills they like or push their agenda.

this country is fucked and doomed,im migrating to swissland to experience some canton democracy and active democracy.

blueRad

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect the reason why we need so many more MPs for such a small country is the Town Council. What make this matter worse is that ordinary sinkies think that TCs is the norm for an MP.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I dare say it's more junta than Myanmar......
And also more totalitarian dictatorship than North Korea....I bet fatso Kim doesn't have as many relatives installed in power as pinky loong

Agree. I think it is absolutely shameful and vulgar that Singapore calls itself a democratic country. Henry Ford was reported to have said "You can have any colour you want, as long as it is black." In our context, you can say anything you want, as long as you don't offend the powers that be. Unless you are a relative. Else, may heaven help you!

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The key is that you never play your opponent's cards. They want to play the personal angle, focusing on character, individual traits, town council experience, past flaws, etc. You have to play a different hand. Bring up those issues for which the PAP has no answer. Ignore the PAP trolling and just go straight to the point for which they are weak at. Never answer the PAP on the issues they want to hang you by. In this sense, ironically CSJ has something to learn from Donald Trump.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The key is that you never play your opponent's cards. They want to play the personal angle, focusing on character, individual traits, town council experience, past flaws, etc. You have to play a different hand. Bring up those issues for which the PAP has no answer. Ignore the PAP trolling and just go straight to the point for which they are weak at. Never answer the PAP on the issues they want to hang you by. In this sense, ironically CSJ has something to learn from Donald Trump.

Agree totally. Opposition MPs have behaved like sinkees ....taking the lead from the PAP instead of setting the narratives. Just observe how the WP is supposedly doing its job. If the PAP doesn't stir things up for them, the WP MPs tiam tiam. Did we vote WP in to tiam tiam?
If CSJ gets into Parliament, I trust he will bark at the PAP all the time. Make the PAP job tougher and hopefully cancer will engulf them.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

this is why politics is a joke nowadays,a circus freakshow,go look at the presidential debates of the eighties and nineties,those were intellectual giants and men of substance.ross perot is the man.

[video=youtube;Jg9qB_BIjWY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg9qB_BIjWY&list=FLNvi2EPLDsmB9HCDEKczgzA&index=20[/video]