• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Moron Begs For Public To Save His Bookstore! People Buy From Amazon Or Kindle Now!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
np_20160227_tmhome-smn_1180595.jpg

Mr Anthony Koh, 42, who runs Booktique, an independent bookshop at CityLink Mall, wrote last Friday that the store was facing "continuous weakening sales", and that his recent effort to rent out the shop space was not helping much.

"If you like our shop and what we have been doing, please help us pull through this (sic) trying times. We are working with distributors and our mall management to help improve our sale (sic)," he added.

"We are NOT giving up Booktique, but we need help to tide us over till the quiet months are over."

In the post, Mr Koh also called on book lovers and customers to help Booktique by buying vouchers and books, or renting its space for art-related workshops and classes.

He had started his business by hosting small book fairs at cafes in 2013 before opening a pop-up store at The Cathay. He then closed that to open a new pop-up at CityLink in October 2014 and turned it into a permanent store in last July.

On Thursday, Mr Koh told The New Paper that he had hesitated for days before making the appeal. He has given himself a three-month deadline to stabilise the business or close down.

"I struggled with the intention to go online for help... I didn't want to give people the impression that the book trade is a sunset industry and that book sellers are fools," he said.

DISMAL SALES

"In the end, I decided that we need to tell people the core problems we face and our situation before we fall into debt."

Mr Koh said that sales have consistently dropped since last November. He described his last Christmas sales as "dismal", with takings falling by 50 per cent compared to 2014's festive season. Takings on a good month can reach low five figures and usually double that during festive seasons.

But the shop has been struggling to hit the five-figure mark of late, said Mr Koh, who declined to reveal the monthly rent for the 629 sq ft shop space. A check online shows that rent in the mall starts from about $12 per sq ft.

While blaming the slow economy and "weak" reading culture in Singapore for the dip in sales, Mr Koh also acknowledged that the gloomy climate is not unique to book retailers.

"I just want to be able to pay the rent, pay the book distributors and pay my part-timer. I don't need a salary as long as the bookstore can survive," said the bachelor.

He said he has not drawn a salary for months and has been surviving on his savings from his previous job at a copyright licensing agency.

"All retailers are not doing well. We didn't expect the economic downturn, but it is part and parcel of being in business. It's shape up or ship out."

While he is having restless nights, he insists that he is thinking of solutions, not worrying about the problems.

"My purpose and passion will not sway because of the poor economy," he said. "I am determined not to give up, and I want to focus my energy on improving the business and curating better books. But I don't want to go into debt, so hopefully we can stabilise soon."

Weighing in on Booktique's situation, Associate Professor Ang Swee Hoon from National University of Singapore's business school said the shop appeals to a niche clientele which Mr Koh has to reach out to.

"Instead of just selling curated books, maybe he can organise discussion groups where this group can gather," she said.

"This might add value to his business. So besides buying books, the group can have a chat about it too."

Prof Ang suggested that Mr Koh consider raising prices to cover his costs, though it might turn some customers away, or moving to a cheaper location.

She said: "A cheaper place might be out of the way, but the inconvenience might be something that the niche clientele will be willing to bear."

Mr Koh said of the suggestions: "All her points are valid. But we are a young company, and we might not have enough followers or made enough of a name to move to an inconvenient area...

"I also can't just raise prices for the sake of riding out the bad economy. It is all a matter of give and take to find a balance that can keep us going."

- See more at: http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore-ne...p-me-ride-out-hard-times#sthash.mNYlofSy.dpuf

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Moron Begs For Public To Save His Bookstore! People Buy From Amazon Or Kindle Now

Trying to use noble to huats?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Moron Begs For Public To Save His Bookstore! People Buy From Amazon Or Kindle Now

All kinds of stores have closing down in Spore even restaurants. This is what happens when you have high rents.
Now that people are feeling the bite of the recession, it is going to get even worse.

PAP GLCs are not helping. They want to close malls like Funan to do major renovations. Instead of looking at expensive renovations, they should be trying to bring down rentals to a more affordable levels.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

All kinds of stores have closing down in Spore even restaurants. This is what happens when you have high rents.
Now that people are feeling the bite of the recession, it is going to get even worse.

PAP GLCs are not helping. They want to close malls like Funan to do major renovations. Instead of looking at expensive renovations, they should be trying to bring down rentals to a more affordable levels.
1by1 close 1by1 open also. Everyone want to have a taste.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Instead of moving on with the times and get creative.. He go and offer to suck dick to save his store.. A very PAP lowlife behaviour. This is the outcome of sinkie education.. Fucking pathetic and disgrace.. That is why I stay away from sinkies.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal

Even Ah Peks and Ah Ma reading ebook nowadays.

This guy must be stuck in the ancient pre-internet days still trying to sell paper books!

Some people really ought to lost their pants going into wrong trades and wrong locations.

If you go Some shopping Malls, one will notice some shops keep changing tenants every few months. Guess what, all take turns selling almost the very same stuff that the previous tenant failed. Think they waiting for a change of trend breakthrough?

Viron

Alfrescian
Loyal

What??? You paid to read e-books??? :eek:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

His shop should offer more assessment books and textbooks. Popular bookshop seems to be doing fine while other bookshops that sells mainly novels have been shuttered one by one.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

It's not going to work. Begging is not sustainable solution. There may be a few sympathy sales but they aren't going to turn a loss making company into a profitable one.

I have not bought a hard copy book or magazine in the last 3 years. I get all my news from flipboard on my iPad and my books from amazon kindle edition.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal

entitlement , weak reading culture to blame.
good one, koh lian dai.

did he spread his profit around when he made good money? he should join CHC and get KH to bless him with good fortune.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

citylink mall?the one at cityhall?what a rubbish store.its only been there for less than a year....its not even a real bookshop more like some stupid fancy boutique.

i love paperback books but lets face it,books are ridiculously expensive,u want to encourage reading,$40 books are not the way to go,even hardcore book lovers find it hard to fork out 40 bucks each time......might as well go to amazon and look for some 2nd hand copy for less than 10 bucks if u really want the paper version.or just friggin download the pdf for free.

Last edited:

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

citylink mall?the one at cityhall?what a rubbish store.its only been there for less than a year....its not even a real bookshop more like some stupid fancy boutique.

i love paperback books but lets face it,books are ridiculously expensive,u want to encourage reading,$40 books are not the way to go,even hardcore book lovers find it hard to fork out 40 bucks each time......might as well go to amazon and look for some 2nd hand copy for less than 10 bucks if u really want the paper version.or just friggin download the pdf for free.

I find this guy is ridiculous enough to rent an expensive store in the heart of CBD to sell a few trinkets. Something must be wrong with his brains.

Those CBD retail stores can only accommodate those high volume mass mass market stuff. Even the luxury brands (whose main purpose was to have the stores as "advertising") is finding the rents too much to stomach.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Instead of moving on with the times and get creative.. He go and offer to suck dick to save his store.. A very PAP lowlife behaviour. This is the outcome of sinkie education.. Fucking pathetic and disgrace.. That is why I stay away from sinkies.

UMNO fuck your mother chee bye.

Just fuck home to matland now!

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Pathetic way of win a debate. Instead of LOGIC, use insult. LOL.

I normally do not debate with fucktards!

He wants to stay away from Singaporeans, then I just reiterated his point to ask him to fuck home to matland! Period.

bigboss

Alfrescian
Loyal

....PAP GLCs are not helping. They want to close malls like Funan to do major renovations. Instead of looking at expensive renovations, they should be trying to bring down rentals to a more affordable levels.

When mall owners are companies controlled by foreigners or foreigners' owned enterprises, they will want to squeeze as much rent as possible from their lessees like squeezing sugar cane to a pulp. Pappies are helpless unless they build more malls owned by JTC or HDB to lease to struggling lessees.

The rental paid for any shop space is the real killer to any business in an economic downturn. No hope for this guy. Close shop and cut loss to stay debt free.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

I normally do not debate with fucktards!

He wants to stay away from Singaporeans, then I just reiterated his point to ask him to fuck home to matland! Period.

Even in Singapore, one can "stay away" from Sinkies. Basically by judging who is not sinkiefied and associating with those. Sinkiefied people are so easy to identified by the following characters:

1. Lack of good logic.
2. Materialistic. Equates everything (Intrinsic Value and Moral Character) with $$$$.
3. Superficial. Only see things by surface value. Judge character and value purely on appearances (5 Cs, got nice car, live in expensive apartment, got IVY League or NUS degree, or ANGMO).
4. Gutless. Just complain and criticise but not offering solutions or even taking action to change their situation.
5. Cannot see the big picture / Frog in the well.

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Even in Singapore, one can "stay away" from Sinkies. Basically by judging who is not sinkiefied and associating with those. Sinkiefied people are so easy to identified by the following characters:

1. Lack of good logic.
2. Materialistic. Equates everything (Intrinsic Value and Moral Character) with $$$$.
3. Superficial. Only see things by surface value. Judge character and value purely on appearances (5 Cs, got nice car, live in expensive apartment, got IVY League or NUS degree, or ANGMO).
4. Gutless. Just complain and criticise but not offering solutions or even taking action to change their situation.
5. Cannot see the big picture / Frog in the well.

Honestly, only certain Singaporeans has such traits? Other countries no? Malaysians are not like that?

Also, that fucktard jiu hu kia show strong traits of (1), (4) and (5) of what he you mentioned above. So he say he stay away from certain Singaporeans, but then again, most Singaporean will stay away from him also.

Pinkieslut

Alfrescian
Loyal

When mall owners are companies controlled by foreigners or foreigners' owned enterprises, they will want to squeeze as much rent as possible from their lessees like squeezing sugar cane to a pulp. Pappies are helpless unless they build more malls owned by JTC or HDB to lease to struggling lessees.

The rental paid for any shop space is the real killer to any business in an economic downturn. No hope for this guy. Close shop and cut loss to stay debt free.

This guy is just a loser. Look at PRCs who have the survivor and business-men instincts. They in China also faced high rentals in the shops controlled by companies related to CCP party members. Many of them just moved to online portals to sell (from garbage trinkets, copy cat electronics to even sexual services). What is this loser thinking by opening a store with niche appeal in the centre of CBD? Madness? Or just another sinkiefied human?