• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Breaking: suicide bomber strike Jakarta

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Jihadist atttacking Jakarta Starbucks, 4 dead, market rock and roll, $$ gone!

Fortunately, the ISIS terrorist are even more retarded than the cops that are suppose to apprehend them.

Vulture

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Jihadist atttacking Jakarta Starbucks, 4 dead, market rock and roll, $$ gone!

Fortunately, the ISIS terrorist are even more retarded than the cops that are suppose to apprehend them.

Can be worse than this :biggrin:

police-fail-airgun.jpg

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Singapore is God's favourite country in spite of its sinkieness. That's why we are led by a great PAP, have no natural disasters, no wars and no terrorist attacks.

ThrillSeeker

Alfrescian
Loyal

Revealed: the former cafe manager suspected of masterminding Islamic State attack on Jakarta

PUBLISHED : Friday, 15 January, 2016, 7:26am
UPDATED : Friday, 15 January, 2016, 9:11am

Reuters in Jakarta

873ef188-bb13-11e5-9ce7-2395197ababe_1280x720.jpg

Bahrun Naim left Indonesia a year ago to fight for the Islamic State group in Syria. Photo: Google Plus

Seven years ago, Bahrun Naim was quietly running an internet cafe in the small Indonesian city of Solo.

He has now been identified by police as the supposed mastermind behind the deadly attack on Jakarta claimed by Islamic State, pulling the strings from Raqqa, the radical group’s de facto capital in Syria.

In between, Naim was arrested in 2011 for illegal arms possession and jailed for three years, and police say that since then he has emerged as a key player in militant networks that have sprouted around Solo and across Central Java.

6cfc3104-bb14-11e5-9ce7-2395197ababe_486x.jpg

A man believed to be a terrorist, holds a gun amid Thursday’s attacks in Jakarta. Photo: EPA

A year ago, he left for Syria to join the frontlines of Islamic State, and police believe Naim was closely involved in co-ordinating Thursday’s assault.

Five of the attackers and two civilians were killed in Islamic State's first strike against Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim nation where the group wants to establish an Asian beachhead for its “caliphate”.

There had been hints of what was to come for weeks.

After the co-ordinated attacks across Paris in November, the militant intellectual published a blog in which he explained to his followers how it was easy to move jihad from “guerrilla warfare” in Indonesia’s equatorial jungles to a city.

a98a3f1c-bb14-11e5-9ce7-2395197ababe_486x.jpg

An injured Indonesian policeman is taken from the site of a bomb blast in front of a shopping mall in Jakarta on Thursday. Photo: EPA

Reuters contacted Naim on November 24 via Telegram social messaging, using details provided by one of his acquaintances. In that exchange, he said there were more than enough Islamic State supporters to “carry out an action” in Indonesia.

“Just waiting for the right trigger,” the man identifying himself as Naim said.

Naim could not be reached for comment on Thursday.

Intelligence experts say that, not long after that Telegram exchange, intelligence officials began to pick up talk in social messaging chatrooms that an attack on Indonesia was imminent.

“Chatter among Islamists began to become more organised last month and there were discussions for the first time of a multiple attack,” said a Jakarta-based security adviser, who monitors radical group discussions on mobile messaging services for the government.

Counter-terrorism officials believe there are at least 1,000 sympathisers of the radical jihadist group across Indonesia.

The eavesdropping helped lead police to the arrest of more than a dozen men across the populous island of Java who were suspected of planning attacks over the Christmas and New Year holidays.

Bomb-making materials, a suicide vest and “jihad manuals” were found during the raids. Police said some of those rounded up had received funding and support from Naim, who believes Indonesia should be governed strictly as an Islamic country.

Naim had been planning the attack on Indonesia's capital for a while, Jakarta Police Chief Tito Karnavian said on Thursday, adding that he clearly had ambitions to become “the leader” of Islamic State in Southeast Asia.

Sidney Jones, a Jakarta-based expert on Islamist militants at the Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict, said in a November report that there was only a slim chance in Indonesia of an attack on the scale seen in Paris, but she warned then that the threat was growing under the government’s nose.

She noted that in one blog post, entitled “Lessons from the Paris Attacks”, Naim urged his Indonesian audience to study the planning, targeting, timing, coordination, security and courage of the Paris jihadis.

That said, experts have pointed out that the relatively low death toll in the Jakarta assault suggested the involvement of local, poorly armed militants with little or no training.

In the Telegram exchange with Reuters, Naim also spoke of more mundane affairs, explaining that he enjoyed life in Syria and had no plans to return to Indonesia.

“I move around, depending on where our emir orders us to go. It's good here in Syria. There's electricity, accommodation, water and it's free. The services provided by them are good, cheaper than in Indonesia,” he said.

BlueMary

Alfrescian
Loyal

Southeast Asian fighters used as ‘cannon fodder’ by Islamic State

Jakarta attacks are an alarming sign of the militant group’s expanding influence within the region, with suicide bombing on the rise as a result

PUBLISHED : Friday, 15 January, 2016, 10:01pm
UPDATED : Friday, 15 January, 2016, 10:01pm

Amy Chew in Jakarta

756777e6-bb6d-11e5-9ce7-2395197ababe_1280x720.jpg

Elementary school students hold placards during a small anti-terrorism rally in central Jakarta a day after a gun and bomb attack in the city, January 15, 2016. The placard in the middle reads: ‘We are ready to guard world peace.’ Photo: Reuters

Thursday’s attack in the heart of Indonesia’s capital by suicide bombers was funded by Islamic State (IS), Indonesian police said yesterday, after they arrested three men on suspicion of links to the plot and seized an IS flag from one of the bombers.

Until now, the group was known only to have sympathisers with no active cells capable of planning and carrying out a plan such as Thursday’s, in which five men attacked a Starbucks cafe and a traffic police booth with handmade bombs, guns and suicide belts. They killed two people – a Canadian and an Indonesian – and injured 20.

Suicide bombings have not historically been employed by groups in Southeast Asian but the attack, the first in Southeast Asia to be directed or inspired by IS, demonstrates the jihadi network’s growing reach and is part of an alarming trend that must now be confronted by security forces within the region.

Three weeks ago, Malaysian Mohd Amirul Ahmad Rahim, 26, strapped bombs to his body, got into a car and blew himself up in the IS capital, Raqqa. The blast killed 21 Kurdish fighters during an IS offensive against the 44th Syrian Democratic Forces, according to Malaysian police.

Before he died, Amirul wrote a will asking his wife and two-year-old son to remain in the war zone to continue his “jihad”.

“I have been trying to persuade my daughter to return home,” Amirul’s father-in-law, a trader from the state of Johor who declined to be named, told the South China Morning Post.

“My grandson is less than two years old. And my daughter is currently pregnant. I hope she will come home. But if she doesn’t, what can I do? I have to accept it. It is their ideology and belief.”

According to a senior counterterrorism source, there are currently eight Malaysian children in Syria. Two of them, aged nine and 11, are being trained to become fighters and are learning how to shoot and perform martial arts.

Amirul is one of the six Malaysians who have died as suicide bombers in Syria and Iraq. Another 11 Malaysians have died fighting for IS. A total of 100 Malaysians are estimated to be in Syria currently.

Amirul’s father-in-law recalled his daughter’s words: “People queue up to register as a suicide bomber.”

He described his deceased son-in-law as a very polite and well-behaved person who never got into trouble.

3e97dff8-bb90-11e5-9ce7-2395197ababe_486x.jpg

Indonesian woman holds a placard reading ‘We are not afraid’ during a gathering with candle light near the bomb site in front of a shopping mall in Jakarta, Indonesia. Photo: EPA

“There was no sign they were going to leave Malaysia,” he said. “I called and called them one day and there was no reply. The next thing, my daughter Whatsapped me to say they have gone to Syria.”

Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim country, has more than 1,000 people in Syria, according to senior counterterrorism officials. There is no official data for Indonesian suicide bombers but some experts believe there have been nine.

“My heart is broken seeing Malaysians and Indonesians killed in Syria and Iraq,” said Noor Huda Ismail, founder of International Institute for Peace Building, Indonesia’s first private deradicalisation programme.

“Southeast Asian fighters are used as cannon fodder by IS. They are treated as second-class citizens by IS Arab leaders who look down on non-Arabs. They are placed at the front line during battles where many of them are killed. Some of the Southeast Asian fighters who died as suicide bombers are not even mentioned in IS’ social media.”

Huda believes Malaysians and Indonesians are drawn to IS by online messages celebrating the deaths of suicide bombers as so-called “martyrs”.

“They volunteer as suicide bombers to prove their masculinity, to show they can do something for the Muslim struggle,” Huda explained.

The fact that so many Malaysians and Indonesians volunteer to be suicide bombers also reflects the “oxygen” of intolerance against Shias, Christians and minorities, Huda said.

According to Huda, suicide bombing was never part of the tactics used by armed groups in Southeast Asia until the first Bali bombing in 2002, which killed 202 people. Since then, the rise of IS has engendered a greater willingness among would-be martyrs to kill themselves in the service of their cause.

“This is a very scary prospect, that people can so easily and readily want to be a suicide bomber,” Huda said. “We don’t have to wait for IS members to return from Syria to carry out bombings. They are already here.”

Additional reporting by Associated Press

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I'm kind of heartened by the outcome of this "attack" in Jakarta. Their kill rate is so low, it's almost akin to an elaborate suicide drama. No elements of fear planted into the minds of the Jakarta people. An epic failure for these bunch of nutcase losers. Let's see which other goons wanted an imaginary bunch of virgins that badly.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Breaking news: Jakarta Bomb Blast

Thank you fellas. When I heard this was about 1pm Singapore time in Changi Airport preparing to leave for home in Bangkok.

I was in Jakarta from last Tuesday to Saturday then came to Singapore. My Jakarta staff all ok. They send me many vids and photos and I've uploaded a vid and photo worth showing not seen on TV

This is a photo of one of the terrorists blown up by his own bomb as its too gruesome I give you my uploaded link instead of showing the photo here - http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/...3-1048-4AD9-9B4C-1F6C472C0BA3_zpsm9ma5zkw.jpg

Froggy. Many ppl have stolen your vids and posted as their own

https://www.facebook.com/coolsingap...4447019681962/805901849536478/?type=2&theater