• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You may wish to know there is a provisio under the ISA to detain you for "acts against the state"...... strangely the schedule of offences includes possession of another country's passport :p

Singapore should publicly use this law, so that we know how backward Singapore really is. How about the other law on illegal gathering.

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may wish to know there is a provisio under the ISA to detain you for "acts against the state"...... strangely the schedule of offences includes possession of another country's passport :p

Hi allanlee, could you please guide us to any government website which substantiates your statement?

I tried researching on what you mentioned and the closest info (link from a government website) is this:
http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...de=and&version=currentVersion&query1=passport

Please note the point - "(a) if the person is a citizen of Singapore (whether or not the person is also the national of a country other than Singapore) — the person’s Singapore passport that is valid, and any other prescribed evidence of the person"s identity and Singapore citizenship; or"

Isn't that a hint that it is legal to have more than one passport? Or am I taking it out of context?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi allanlee, could you please guide us to any government website which substantiates your statement?

I tried researching on what you mentioned and the closest info (link from a government website) is this:
http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...de=and&version=currentVersion&query1=passport

You are getting outdated and bad advice.

Sometime in the mid 90s, the dual citizenship issue began to follow the global trends. In fact MFA used to have an advisory of dual citizens (for the purpose of NS) on its website but took it out after 2002 thereabouts.

You will not get into trouble for holding dual citizenship. As long as you do not break any law or make a false statement. When you renew your singapore passport just be truthful and you will be pleasantly surprised.

The international protocol of those with dual or multiple citizenship is to use the Passport for entry and exit in countries where it is issued. This is to allow countries to monitor their nationals for census purpose.

There are many singaporeans with dual citizenship some by choice and some without. A singaporean who is below the age of 21 cannot renouce their citizenship until the age of 21 so those who migrated with their kids and have new citizenship still have to hold to their singapore citizenship (thus have dual citizenship)

About 2 years ago, old man revealed that cabinet has delayed making a decision on dual citizenship, so that alludes to the fact that Singapore had realised that it cannot stop global trends.

I know that you are typical singaporean and want things in black and white but unfortunately this govt does not want to be transparent. They are also afraid that it will open the flood gates.

I personally know of Singaporeans who hold dual citizenship and travel in and out. Some of them don't even use the Singapore passport for entry and exit.

They can only screw you for false statements etc.

Do however note that holding a Singapore Citizenship carries obligations such as NS etc. If you hold a position in civil service, SAF and other sensitive units, then its a different ball game.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know there are many people holding dual citizenships but this is new to me : When you renew your singapore passport just be truthful and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm really surprised that the people at ICA are that flexible? so unlike the protocol. Seriously, are they given some kind of 'unwritten' instructions?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know there are many people holding dual citizenships but this is new to me : When you renew your singapore passport just be truthful and you will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm really surprised that the people at ICA are that flexible? so unlike the protocol. Seriously, are they given some kind of 'unwritten' instructions?

The cabinet has kept the dual citizenship issue on KIV tray. The fact that it went to cabinet tells you that its a u-turn on the their previous position. The matter that it went to cabinet was reported in the press.

There is another law where the govt will not act and that on gay sex. This is despite it being on the penal code.

Jason.T

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are getting outdated and bad advice.
You will not get into trouble for holding dual citizenship. As long as you do not break any law or make a false statement. When you renew your singapore passport just be truthful and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Hi scroobal,

Thank you for sharing the information. It is a pity if Singapore loses any citizens or investments from them (directly or indirectly) due to this ambiguity.

One can understand what the people in charge fear when the floodgates are opened, but all this control or attempt to control will only set limits to what the country can achieve, maybe it is time they started thinking laterally.

JT

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi scroobal,

Thank you for sharing the information. It is a pity if Singapore loses any citizens or investments from them (directly or indirectly) due to this ambiguity.

One can understand what the people in charge fear when the floodgates are opened, but all this control or attempt to control will only set limits to what the country can achieve, maybe it is time they started thinking laterally.

JT

Very well said Bro.

The other thing is that it has also damaged lives. I know of families who migrated when their kids were very young and who did not need to serve NS, but due to information vacumn ended up being listed as wanted or barred from Singapore. The parents either worked on the wrong information or were scared to contact the authorities and failed to follow procedures for exemption. This of course results in a bitter taste about the country where they were born and much of their heritage comes from.

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
The cabinet has kept the dual citizenship issue on KIV tray....... There is another law where the govt will not act and that on gay sex. This is despite it being on the penal code.

KIV dun mean is okey...... scarly suay suay u r the one kenna when they deciding to enforcing the law :smile:

Sg got many laws chenghu no taking action to enforcing..... den when many people do it den some kenna catching and kenna charge :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
KIV dun mean is okey...... scarly suay suay u r the one kenna when they deciding to enforcing the law :smile:

Sg got many laws chenghu no taking action to enforcing..... den when many people do it den some kenna catching and kenna charge :smile:

One cannot be scared all the time. Once you have a foreign ctizenship and passport, ypu are already on high ground.

Holding a second passpost is not like a crime associated with theft, fraud, violence, harm to others etc. Its now more procedural rather than matter of morals.

I know a poor chap whose 2 sons had migrated with the family when they were less than 5 years of age. He received notification for NRIC registration where they stated the penalty to failing to do so, he did what most ignorant parents do, he applied for his kids. They now have to do their NS.

The proper process is to write to Mindef and make your intention known that you have migrated and intend to make your new country home. They will tell you the deferment and subsequent exemption process. That exemption applies only to those males who left before reaching the age of 11 yrs.

Then again nowhere is it written the proper process, so those that are scared of shadows will screw themselves and their kids.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know a poor chap whose 2 sons had migrated with the family when they were less than 5 years of age. He received notification for NRIC registration where they stated the penalty to failing to do so, he did what most ignorant parents do, he applied for his kids. They now have to do their NS.

I know these 2 singkie guys who went and obtained new identities and passports in the Land of Smiles...... they were frequent travellers to BKK....... they would enter and leave Changi airport using their Singkie passports and then join the queue for locals in BKK using their Thai passports to enter and exit LOS.

They were put on 24/7 surveillance....... there was no hard evidence to link them to any criminal activities except that they often frequent places of ill repute and was always associating with members of the underworld....... 10 months later...... both of them were picked up and were checked into the "gahmen hotel" on this passport thingy :p

One of them has been released and is now on CLPS while the other is still inside :biggrin:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
hey,you have to pay for something when you try to take advantage or enjoy the best of both countries.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know these 2 singkie guys who went and obtained new identities and passports in the Land of Smiles...... they were frequent travellers to BKK....... they would enter and leave Changi airport using their Singkie passports and then join the queue for locals in BKK using their Thai passports to enter and exit LOS.

They were put on 24/7 surveillance....... there was no hard evidence to link them to any criminal activities except that they often frequent places of ill repute and was always associating with members of the underworld....... 10 months later...... both of them were picked up and were checked into the "gahmen hotel" on this passport thingy :p

One of them has been released and is now on CLPS while the other is still inside :biggrin:
Nothing to do with passports.

Detention under Criminal Law Temp Provision Act has do with do with illegal and proscibed activities. Detention without trial for Non ISA must fall within proscribed regulations, Cabinet Minister must sign, review by High Court. Those under ISA also follows the same procedure. Their detention has nothing to do with holding other countries passport. Its the illegal activities. You might want to check with your ex-colleagues

Drug and arm traffickers are well known for using false passports as well as genuine passports issued by Pacific Islands, Caribbean Islands,Latin America, Indonesia and Philippines to throw off the trail. All this has nothing to do with genuine law abiding people who have migrated, got new citizenship, new passports and just holding on to Singapore passports.

This thread is about ex-singaporeans holding on to their passports when they leave to new shores.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
hi,

I am not sure if this thread should be under "Emigration Matters" or this, but I thought I'd give it a go as I think there are more viewers here and secondly, theoretically, it is also about the penal code in Singapore.

Assume if someone has made up his/her mind about taking on another passport but not yet certain on whether to give up a Singapore passport. The individual need not necessary renew the Singapore passport as travelling can be done with the passport of his/her new country.

Can anyone share what is the worse case scenario that might happen to the individual should the Singapore government finds out?

For example:
- Forced renunciation (of either citizenship)
- Jail Term
- Caning, for males
- Fine, how much if so?

JT

This individual u are referring to is a fucking moron. Tell them to make up their mind, and don;t be so kiasu. U either go all in and renounce your singaporean citizenship and take up the new country's citizenship, or don;t bother to go. When they have a feet in each country, they are setting themselves up for failure.

gsh

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let me share the experience of my cousin in 2004. He is an Australian Citizen.

He went to Immigration and told them he has two passports. He asked whether he should surrender his Singapore passport.

The counter lady asked for the manager. She came out and told him that it is her official duty to inform him that there is no hurry for him to surrender the passport.

So, he maintain his dual citizenship.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing to do with passports.

Drug and arm traffickers are well known for using false passports as well as genuine passports issued by Pacific Islands, Caribbean Islands,Latin America, Indonesia and Philippines to throw off the trail. All this has nothing to do with genuine law abiding people who have migrated, got new citizenship, new passports and just holding on to Singapore passports.

This thread is about ex-singaporeans holding on to their passports when they leave to new shores.

Singapore passport one of the best passports to have - clears you through customs easy. I know of no other passports which can get you into Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Azeribaijian, Nagorno-Karabakh, Cuba and then into USA with no questions asked. Of coz, you must done nothing wrong as well.

Cheers,
Trout

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore passport one of the best passports to have - clears you through customs easy. I know of no other passports which can get you into Iran, Armenia, Georgia, Azeribaijian, Nagorno-Karabakh, Cuba and then into USA with no questions asked. Of coz, you must done nothing wrong as well.

Cheers,
Trout

Yes, very true.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, very true.

I was quite worried when I went into the States late last year for a couple of job interviews, because I had all the above custom stamps on my SG passport from my travels in 2007/08 (Yes, I was stupid enough to not ask the Cuban and Iranian customs not to stamp my passport.).

Surprise, surprise, I just went straight through - No questions asked. Its no wonder its the passport of choice for people with complicated backgrounds.

Cheers,
Trout

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you have been to some pretty diverse interesting places Bro...what was Havana like?

Oh and you are right about the Singgie passport thinggy...I went to North Korea and then shortly after that had to visit the States, also no problems with US Immigration:smile:

Cheers,
Trout

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,

I am not sure if this thread should be under "Emigration Matters" or this, but I thought I'd give it a go as I think there are more viewers here and secondly, theoretically, it is also about the penal code in Singapore.

As far as under ICA Law has stated clearly without any doubt, It is an offence to hold more than one passport or citizenship if you are singaporean citizen.

For your information, this offence is under ICA penal code which is going to be pain in the ass if you are caught, no lawyer will be able to rescue you not even reducing the fine, jail or both if convicted.

Like forummer here said, if you are New Citizen or foreigner, SG-government will just offer friendly warning to you only and drop any charges against you.

But being as singaporean, you are FUCKED. Sorry I dont mean to be rude, this term normally being used for singaporean disadvantage situation.

Before renouncing your citizenship, do us a favour, please VOTE OPPOSITION in the next GE first, and if LEE KUAN YEW govt and party to fall, please remain as Singaporean, we can change our constitution and our life for better not just for yourself but for your family and children.

Until then, wish you have a happy home abroad and happy family.

Cheers!:smile: